Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I found that Toronto had some of the coolest architecture anywhere. Pushing the envelope can be hazzardous I guess though.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arian_Samurai posted:

Reminds me of the humanities building at UW Madison

Personally I like the style

If prison is your style.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volcott posted:

I dunno, I kind of like the design.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

nomadologique posted:

yeah hold on lemme see if i can scrape together half a billion for front-end and first five years...

i bet you'd get a break on property taxes tho

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I like this :shrug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I unironically like every building pictured :shrug: Maybe I'm not good at judging architecture.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Look at this structure that "flagrantly disregard their settings, reducing architecture to mere superfluous spectacle, over-exaggerated and detached from reality". And after looking at the Eiffel Tower, check out Frank Gehry’s Fondation Louis Vuitton.

exactly, the critics ITT and online seem to be overly pretentious movie critics, or YLLS fashionistas.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Total Meatlove posted:

I understand why some people dislike this but I love it

Lol that's just ridiculous enough to catch the eye

E: what and where?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Authentic You posted:

Well, it certainly works better than the other Zaha Hadid thing the article talked about, and is not hideous and terrible like the crystal shard sticking out of the ROM. I'm not really a fan of Zaha Hadid's style at all, though - most of it looks like sets for music videos from the late 90's or giant versions of over-designed consumer electronics to me. I'd take Disney Concert Hall (which I actually think is pretty cool and well-placed, despite my general dislike of Frank Gehry and how expensive and ridiculous the construction process for his buildings are) over Hadid's vagina spaceships any day.

Not all zany starchitect buildings are automatically bad and out of place, but so many of them are.

That does sound fascinating. I'll definitely have to check it out.

I went to school for industrial design, another field where we care a lot about timeless aesthetics and long-term functionality, and while I was there, they were building a new computer science building which was allegedly inspired by a loving Rubik's cube and bore no resemblance whatsoever to the rest of the campus aesthetic. It was this boxy trendy sort of style and was supposed to be all awesome and cool. We spent a whole class bitching up a storm with our professor one time about how shortsighted the design was and how it would look stupid and be dated ten years down the line while the original Beaux-Arts buildings would still look just as good and remain just as functional. I later ended up working in the new building once it was finished, and holy gently caress it was idiotic - shoddy workmanship (started leaking two years in), plumbing schematics made no sense (sucked for the plumbers trying to fix the drat leaks), interior layout loving sucked and wasted/squandered tons of space, landscaping was poorly designed (giant mudslide!), the materials are all aging poorly and quickly, and the much-hyped green roof quickly turned into a giant mound of five-foot weeds due to being inconvenient to access. The thing is six years old.

Our token brutalist building, on the other hand? Hulking, ugly, rock solid, and brutally sensible and usable. I have a grudging respect for it, unlike the aforementioned new building, because ugly as it may be, it will no doubt remain useful and in good shape for a long time. And it's where everyone will hide when the apocalypse happens.

I read all of this. So the building is pretty y/n

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can someone post the ideal government federal building? Tia

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think we should stop building things as they will never have history like someone said earlier. Just stop already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tochiazuma posted:

American Embassy in Ottawa, if the intent was to put up an ugly building that looked like it had a bunker in the roof then Mission Accomplished

I'm surprised at the amount of front road facing glass. An embassy thread would be cool in its own.

• Locked thread