Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

Looks like the narrative's already been changed to "reaching for the officer's gun":

quote:

While on the ground,suspect and #lapd officers struggled over one of officer's handgun at which point an officer involved shooting occurred

By the way, I just love the new levels of passive voice achieved in "at which point an officer involved shooting occurred."

Murderion posted:

Oxford joins the list of areas with a history of covering up child abuse because doing your job is hard regrettable failures in procedure which have since been rectified.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/01/gangs-abused-hundreds-of-oxfordshire-children-serious-case-review

quote:

:barf:

I don't even know what to say about this. I'm afraid to even open my mouth because what's going to come out is going to be a bunch of dry-heaving and incoherent screaming. Maybe that's what they were counting on. That the scale of of the brutality inflicted and their staggering failure/complicity in it would just render people beyond the capacity for coherent criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Nonsense posted:

What are the laws surrounding the amount of time you can be held in jail?

You mean before trial? In New York it's something like 6 months, but delays and adjournments can "stop the clock," so you end up with cases like Kalief Browder, who was wrongfully arrested at age 16 for stealing a backpack, and subsequently spent three years at Rikers Island without trial (huge chunks of it in solitary confinement). Finally the charges were dropped when the alleged victim left the country and was unable to be contacted. Kalief had just turned 20. He believes the prosecution deliberately kept setting up delays in order to push him into a plea bargain. (I'm inclined to believe it.)

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Do not read if you have blood pressure issues. I'm serious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-seven-year-search-for-justice/2015/03/12/b1cccb30-abe9-11e4-abe8-e1ef60ca26de_story.html
11-year-old girl reports being gang-raped twice in succession; gets positive rape kit (twice); cops convict her for filing a false report because her interview answers were "inconsistent" and she was "promiscuous." Case closed.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 14, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

nm posted:

If you have a gun, cops don't care if you're white or black, they're gonna make you dead.

Is there like a "greatest hits" compilation of all of those videos over just the past couple years of belligerent gun-brandishing white dudes being patiently talked down by the police that I can link to here? I mean just the other week there was that story of the two white guys actually shooting up a store with BB guns or buckshot, who somehow got taken into custody peacefully.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to that link, the vast majority of black homicide victims were killled by men they knew, not the police, so...

You're right, it's egregious how immune to arrest and prosecution black men are.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

quote:

[Trooper Spears' lawyer] also said he believes the action against Spears is retaliatory because the trooper reported a Alcoholic Beverage Commission officer last year for unprofessional conduct. The complaint prompted an investigation against Spears, who was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Jesus. I remember hearing about those guards boiling inmate Darren Rainey to death. Glad there was actually some fallout from it. Good to know that if you hideously torture a man to death, you may, a few years later, be allowed to resign. (The warden was fired, the guards themselves resigned.)

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
So here's something actually nice. New Mexico (I know, right??) just unanimously passed a bill ending civil asset forfeiture. It's replaced with criminal asset forfeiture, which requires a conviction, so there do remain perverse incentives to arrest and prosecute people. Ideally I think there should be laws forbidding the proceeds of criminal asset forfeiture from profiting the agencies that determine who's a criminal. But this is certainly something.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
The level of "meh" at all levels, from the cops on the scene to the sheriff to the police sergeant, feels so bizarre. Enough that it looks like a coordinated response. Like everyone knows it's a polite fiction. And if it's not, if they just care that little that somebody died, it's depraved indifference.

And I'll believe they provided CPR when I see it on the video.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Zwabu posted:

Edit: If a cop killed someone by accidentally running over them on the sidewalk driving carelessly, I get the feeling that would be considered a lot bigger deal than accidentally shooting them with a gun instead of a Taser, simply because a gun is involved in the latter case.

Video Points To NYPD Cover-Up After Cop Fatally Ran Over Pedestrian
Sober Driver Arrested for DWI When Deputy Crashes Into Her

I agree with your point, though. I don't understand how someone DIES and "We didn't mean to, okay?" is always the end of it. In what other field does that happen, do they not examine what they could have done differently and how to prevent this happening again, because someone being killed is a huge loving deal that in every other field is treated as a "zero event?"

Like, if cops are legitimately mixing up their guns and their tasers, isn't that a major loving design flaw that should be fixed? If it can't be, maybe cops just shouldn't carry a gun and a taser at the same time? Just spitballing here.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, Reserve Officer Bates was charged with 2nd degree manslaughter http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepage1...cb4fdabbf4.html

quote:

"He made an error," [Sheriff Stanley] Glanz said. "How many errors are made in an operating room every week?"
He added: "It was unintentional. You know, justified means you had reason to do something. He had reason to get the gun out when the guy was fleeing."
Glanz said he has been friends with Bates for about 50 years and that Bates has been his insurance agent.
He dismissed the notion that their friendship had led to Bates' receiving special treatment[...]

This morning's 10-minute interview ended with Glanz's pulling his phone out to show a picture of him and Bates fishing on a local lake.
Bates can be seen wearing a big smile as he holds up a huge fish.
"Bob and I both love to fish," Glanz said. "Is it wrong to have a friend?"

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 13, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Unless there is some specific US case I'm unaware off you're quite wrong about some of what you have written about OD prevention and Naloxon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/13/nyregion/anti-overdose-drug-becoming-an-everyday-part-of-police-work.html

A nalaxone nasal spray was developed recently and has started being distributed to police departments for beat cops to carry. The idea is that it's easy to use even for a layperson and can be given immediately while medical help is still on the way. It's already saved a bunch of lives.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Holy poo poo.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
But it any case it puts the lie to the police's claim that they execute no-knock SWAT raids the way they do because they really believe the house is dangerous and an armed raid is therefore the least risky way to get the suspect out.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
So on the other hand, he could still be tried for murder at a later time without invoking double jeopardy.

Not that anyone will, but.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
You know, about Freddie Gray, I wonder if there's even any corroboration of the order of events that the police claim? i.e. that Gray began running BEFORE the cops chased after him and then decided independently to gently caress him up. Isn't it just as likely that he ran BECAUSE they came after him with murder in their eyes (for the crime of a black man looking them in the eye)? We're rightfully viewing the rest of the story with suspicion, why do we always buy the police narrative of the premise behind the encounter?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Fox News and co. will be pleased to report this breaking new development making Freddie Gray's death retroactively not-murder.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Waco Panty Raid posted:

I found it suspicious that this breaking point just happened to be a news story that reported horrific but outlandish claims of an execution by police.

How outlandish was it really when in the months since then it's been captured happening multiple times on video?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

What you're assuming is "Western European states not including Italy plus Canada and Australia" because "developed nations" covers a few places you can still be executed for sorcery.

American justice is nuts, but it's still not nearly as corrupt or brutal as most of the world.

Not as corrupt in the sense of bribery or extortion, perhaps. It seems like for some reason U.S. police departments come down on cops who commit money-related crimes a lot more readily than they do on cops who commit physical abuses on civilians. Maybe because when a cop secretly personally enriches himself he's sort of crossing the department as well, either in stealing from it or in cutting everyone else out of the take.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
The Wire's David Simon on Freddie Gray and the BPD

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

discoukulele posted:

So he used his black superhuman strength to nearly sever his own spinal cord? How on earth do they expect anyone to buy that? Especially since in the arrest video, he seems to have a broken leg and already be in terrible shape and weak.

Also the other prisoner could not see him, also WaPo has not been able to contact the prisoner himself so cannot confirm that the statement legitimately comes from him... Coincidentally, the results of the investigation will not be made public.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

semper wifi posted:

let... victims of police violence completely off the hook

Do you read what you write

Anyway, apparently that prisoner who reportedly said that Gray broke his own neck was the last prisoner to be loaded onto the van, AFTER the stop where Gray was found lying on the floor of the van. And the same prisoner was previously reported as saying the ride was quiet and uneventful. Just to sum up, an unnamed source that's totally within the police says that a prisoner, who cannot be reached for confirmation, who was loaded into the van well after Freddie had been found battered on the floor, and who could not see Freddie, totally said that a man who could not sit or stand had hurled himself against the walls with such force that he broke his own neck and shattered his own larynx.

That new cam footage of an previously unknown stop sounds like a more promising lead. Since it was from a private security cam, I wonder if it's worth hoping that it might find its way to the press when the state's attorney declines to indict.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Radish posted:

Whenever police do anything bad it's reported in the passive voice as if people and dogs just kill themselves when police walk by.

My favorite one was from a report, I don't remember which incident it was, that said the suspect struggled or whatever, "at which point an officer-involved shooting occurred." Verbatim. drat these free-floating officer-involved shootings, spontaneously coalescing on top of these fine upstanding officers!

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/apr/30/baltimore-police-van-freddie-gray-stop

quote:

The video footage of the previously undisclosed van stop was filmed by cameras above the entrance to CR Grocery, a shop on the corner of the two streets mentioned by police.

Jung Hwang, the owner of the shop, told the Guardian on Thursday that detectives visited him one day last week following Gray’s death and appeared to take copies of the footage that was stored on his laptop computer.

However, the shop was then looted during Monday’s unrest, said the shop owner, who is Korean and speaks little English. “The laptop was stolen,” he said.

Hwang said he did not see what the footage showed and did not know the vehicle had stopped outside on 12 April because the shop was closed.

God loving dammit. What are the chances the thief will realize what they have? (Or that the police will release the footage.)

Zeitgueist posted:

Lolja ... was suspended after the assault in which the Metropolitan Transportation Authority worker ... was allegedly put into a bear hug, thrown to the floor, and choked

Nerve of that bitch, getting herself choked at that innocent officer who was just walking by.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Seriously, how is South Carolina leading the nation in police accountability?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I would say it is because South Carolina is almost 30% Black, but so is Maryland so v0v.

Maybe White people in the South just don't appreciate the boys in blue as much as their Northern cousins.

Is it less segregated?

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Goddammit can't we just be allowed to feel good about these indictments for five minutes.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
Time for something cute and uplifting

(Win McNamee/Getty Images)

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Does Maryland not have a Felony Murder statute (IE if someone dies in commission of a felony, everyone involved in the commission of the felony can get a murder charge)?

While in this case everyone clearly shared responsibility, I think those statutes are pretty dumb. That's how you get someone getting a life sentence for murder because he lent his car to a friend who then, unbeknownst to him, used it to drive to a break-in, wherein another dude shot the homeowner.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

The responses are great, though.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 1, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

Jesus Christ that whole thing. They checked on him a total of three loving times after throwing him into the back of the van shackled with no seatbelt. The second time he stated he couldn't breathe, the third time (when they picked up the second prisoner), he was unconscious/unresponsive on the floor.

Makes you wonder why they were even checking on him at all. Unless they were checking to see that he was injured enough.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

STAC Goat posted:

Hanitty has a second masked mystery man who claims that a) Freddie was making a drug sale and that's why he was arrested, b) Freddie tested positive for heroin, and c) his death probably came from swallowing the drugs.

So either Sean Hannity just broke wide open a massive conspiracy where the State Attorney lied and pressed false charges against these cops or Fox News has lost its goddamn mind.

That's some wide-ranging conspiracy! They even got to the victims and kept them from mentioning the drug sale in their own report!

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

who is that guy in non cop clothes holding his legs?

I'm assuming a plainclothes officer, though I don't see one of those neck-lanyard ID things.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Vahakyla posted:

Applies to firemen and medics, too

Goddammit, really? :( Medics? What the gently caress benevolent institution am I supposed to put my trust in now?

Nonsense posted:

People from highschool who became LEOs juiced a ton so maybe that has been what's tying in to the family-abuse thing? What age were the perp officers in those numbers?

Article said that an older study with generally older and more experienced officers yielded a result of about 2x gen pop, and a more recent study (that I guess skewed younger) yielded 4x.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Dahn posted:

2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event.

Are you being sarcastic? Two gunmen drove up to an Islamophobic event, stopped, and opened fire. The bomb squad was later called in to examine the car and the event attendees were evacuated and questioned by the FBI.

The gunmen were killed by police, to be sure, but it's not like we're so short on real unjustified shootings that we have to somehow turn the above into "2 people cut down by Texas cops as they drove by an art event."

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 4, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was run by Pam Geller and Geert Wilders. No need for the 'quasi' there.

Ick, you're right. Edited.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

DOOMocrat posted:

This is going around as the person who claimed responsibility, it seems to predate the actual event by two hours.

poo poo, the hashtag as if it was already a thing. His great ambition was to trend posthumously.

Cichlid the Loach fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 4, 2015

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Murderion posted:

The police are trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare, making stops and arrests for reasons incomprehensible to them. Blown from hither to yon by the winds of fate, occasionally they ask "why? Why did we do this? What makes us act this way?"

The answers are not forthcoming. The question is eventually forgotten, lost among a thousand less important questions. Later, an officer involved shooting occurs. No officers were involved.

This is loving fabulous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I can't seem to find it at the moment but I get a feeling that one of the issues is that you have a lot of people "Just doing their job" and the job is often problem. I can't find it but there was a very interesting study a while back to the tune of "justifying the Nazis." The short of it was that people were told they were going to be studying the effects of pain on giving correct answers to quiz questions by having a button that zapped people in a little room. If they were right you didn't press the button. If they were wrong they got progressively worse shocks.

What people were not told was that the person in the room was an actor and no shocks were ever delivered. Over half of people would just keep delivering shocks up to and including 100% fatal levels even after the person in the room couldn't apparently even answer questions anymore. Most people would literally kill somebody just because an authority told them to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

• Locked thread