Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Why on earth does it seem like the default course of action for a cop is "Draw gun, scream at person"

Because if that officer had only screamed at the mentally ill man going towards his pick-up truck he would not have gotten out a rifle and made the cop be the one to scream for another reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

semper wifi posted:

Shooting itself looks legit to me but I question how exactly he got his hands on someone's gun considering there was no reason for the cops to have a gun drawn during that fight. Countdown to someone posting about how brawling with the cops is a normal everyday occurrence and totally not relevant to the shooting, though.

You already set off the countdown, you do not have a right to set a new one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What are the laws surrounding the amount of time you can be held in jail?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody gets a pass because they only had milliseconds to think, Nobody gets that kind of pass in any profession military or otherwise.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Baltimore firefighter expressing how unfortunate they were able to put the fire out on what appeared to be certain people's homes.

edit: Yep it was a housing project.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

shrike82 posted:

How is it a dogwhistle when blacks are actually looting?

Why are you obsessed with this argument, it's like somebody arguing that guns kill people.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also police should know better than to do this stupid poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oERciGvVbE

Policemen throwing rocks back at students without any kind of backup, and put themselves in a situation they created.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 28, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Yikes, talk about taking agency away from black people.

Yes you are having an academic argument at the moment, and not just racist poo poo posting. Start posting an academic argument before busting out terms you don't understand.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

axeil posted:

This is why it's a dogwhistle. No one actually thinks burning buildings down and looting is good but when it's all anyone talks about and they use it as a means to discredit a protest, well, it's hard to think they're really upset about the looting and instead are just looking for a convenient way to dismiss the grievances of the protesters.

Remember that people utilized slashing car tires to discredit OWS, and you know not the litany of actual issues with the movement.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Police are utilizing strobing flashlights against photographers and streamers, as they did in Ferguson.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Parody Threads posted:

I think it's really, really sad that you're really concerned about minor looting when the country systematically opresses and entire race of folks.

Excuse me I believe it is racist anti-whites that are the mad ones in his reality.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Insect Court posted:

Wow, you wouldn't think that Freddie Grey's family, the Nation of Islam, various black church leaders in Baltimore, as well as members of the Bloods and Crips were all anti-black racists. You've really opened my eyes. And of course to that you can add various known Klansmembers like Loretta Lynch and Elijah Cummings.

Yeah man, folks should genuinely give a poo poo what an anti-Semitic organization like the Nation of Islam says about poor black Americans inside their insulated millionaire bubble.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Parody Threads posted:

Also, all these cops sure picked a terrible time to start being racist and brutal, I personally would have started much earlier and stopped waaay before widespread adoption of cell phones.

They were actively throwing rocks at students, and placed themselves in a situation where they probably could have killed students when the students of course reciprocated their treatment.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Foma posted:

Protesting is detrimental to the cause of the protest.

Black Americans are always wrong, and it gets worse!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, I guess if you accept the idea that powerful countries have the right to extract wealth from their colonies, and targeted violation of the specific laws designed to do that is wrong, you'd have a point.

It's a little impressive that that D&D is anti-colonialist, except when it's white Americans resisting.

Nice revisionism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

British colonialism in the Americas was bad...because occasionally the British mistreated their own white colonists.

This is the most amazing alternate history I've ever read, keep going.

No, now is the part where when everybody votes, and votes for police body cameras, the issues will evaporate, like 300 years of slavery, no issues, None, leave the [insert property] owners alone!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It makes more sense if you remove the racial aspect of it from the equation. It really doesn't matter one bit what the color of either side, involved or just posting about it:

The police is Dad. The notion of "Don't violently riot because of the police make you upset" is a Dad Thought.

If you're a gently caress You Dad kind of person, you're going to cheer on people who are doing anything that says gently caress You Dad. It doesn't matter one bit what verbose justifications for the rioting are, what matters is that Group X is doing gently caress You Dad things, gently caress You Dad people like seeing gently caress You Dad stuff, so you'll overlook the bad things about what Group X is doing because, hey, Group X is doing what I'd like to do.

(It also ties into why, during all of these things, people here seem to get a little :wtc: when the news inevitably covers the events from the police side. Covering what's going on, from the position of the police, by mainstream news reporters, is a Dad Thing. Underground alt indie microbloggers are gently caress You Dad guys.)

Your father is a pretty big gently caress up, throwing stones at people and then drawing a gun when they react in kind.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

That's for the courts to decide by a series of proof-locating, and for society to collectively accept once that decision is made.

Na, I think you can be ignored, while they cannot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

effectual posted:

The message isn't being "lost", it's being supressed by the media. They'll take anything they can to change the subject from the causes of the rioting because they don't want to change the status quo. If it was still peaceful protests, they'd just push celeb gossip more or something.

When this literally happened, CNN media director claimed that people will find out about it the following day. They were there within seconds they heard blacks were looting and possibly threatening to whites.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apparently Gray's arrest record is mostly narcotics possession, and this is pretty much all that is required now to finish up the next race-baiting quilt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kurt_Cobain posted:

It is like we are so far down the rabbit hole even pointing out people were planning this makes you a bad person

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/28/baltimore-protests-freddie-gray_n_7160358.html?1430229401

The purge was real and planned. That mother jones article is weak and does not prove what it sets out to prove. Sure cops shut that area down and it probably made the situation worse but guess what that situation was always going to deteriorate. That was the plan.

You're pretty racist.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Here is an actual conspiracy by racist newspaper people to drum up poo poo the WP crew disseminate as facts.

http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/baltimore-city-paper-ordered-to-pay-350000-in-defamation-verdict/Article?oid=2857112

because these same people were behind the whole INNOCENT WHITE LADY BEEN MUGGED BY A THUG RUN GET GET EM

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They run counter-ops, COPS are in control, so they let the mother burn, because they don't give a gently caress about the community. Nice one sherlock. Now we know the cops were scum.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

tsa posted:

People aren't even bothering to debate in good faith so why even bother. Like the mother Jones article is obviously poo poo but since it agrees with their pre conceived ideas their brains just shut down.

You realize once you go to this step in your process, it signals defeat?

Proper edit:

Nowhere has anybody tried to just outright shut down arguments with regard to criminality committed by rioters in this thread. ThugDrink was probated. At this point the anger arises from the perception that an investigation into what happened, is not occurring. But BPD can't be that stupid, I'm sure they are investigating it. They simply refuse to indicate that it is occurring, because there is a disconnect between what the city government feels is worth mentioning to its citizens and what citizens on the streets and at home feel they should be told.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 29, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kurt_Cobain posted:

What? You realize BPD will be releasing some kind of report on Friday right? It is not timely nor will it be complete but the rusted gears of Baltimore are moving.

Edit oh yea sorry cops suck!

The ones who murdered Gray probably do Kurt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Solvency posted:

This doesn't get said enough in D&D threads, but I wanted to thank most of you here for changing my thinking on the cause of riots, and what exactly can be inferred from them. I hadn't even considered the Boston Tea Party as a riot before, and hadn't really pieced together that riots are just a symptom of larger issues that plague communities, and not only people looking to get free stuff, or anarchists looking to cause trouble.

Not everyone reading and responding to these threads are trolls, some actually come to D&D because you all can articulate points better than the vast majority of the internet.

That said, I wish there would be less ad hominem attacks on each other. Why can't you all realize you are part of an elite community of people who can afford to pay :10bux: for an internet forum. Seriously, there has to be some better outlet for your anger than calling each other racists, cop sympathizers, leftists, riot lovers or whatever. If you would just appeal to the mods for help, I'm sure they would be benevolent and work with this community to remove those who are causing trouble. Don't you all realize your back and forth quips make the Debate and Discussion sub-forum look like a bunch of children?

I currently feel the status-quo with regard to punishing posters is fine, differing perception can be called out on its own, without somebody needing to lose access to the whole place.

but yes, I am guilty of what you state here as well, so gently caress me too (jokingly).

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 29, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Astute medical examiner not racist advocate said big black man was lying when he died of not breathing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The fog is lifted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...218e_story.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Miltank posted:

What word is next after thug on the euphemism treadmill?

That's as far as it will go. Everybody just posts in Ebonics and posts pictures that make blacks look like animals if they wish to go further but not be technically racist.

That is never racist nor disturbing in any way. Just common American decency.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Justice Department will get involved, and find nothing wrong hopefully because I'd hate for any policy to have been skirted in this administrative crisis!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frabba posted:

The Baltimore FOP has tweeted an open letter requesting that the DA bring in a special prosecutor due to potential conflicts of interest for the DA https://twitter.com/FOP3/status/594147983731490820

"No, lol" Said the DA.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Nah, I'm firmly of the belief that there are really good unions and really bad unions, that the existence of unions in general is a Good Thing.

Much like police unto themselves. They aren't all bad, and imgur and reddit are sure to post them rescuing kittens or giving homeless dudes blankets during times of crisis like these, so I know there are good ones out there soldiering through the poo poo-mess their other brothers in uniform perpetrate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Are the usually tireless police apologists here gathering energy or something? Waiting for a decent set off talking points? Or back into the weeds until the officers are acquitted?

At this point of the process, now is the time to bring hatred upon libtards who only seek vengeance and not due process, yadda yadda.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The UK Daily Mail knows who the true hero his:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3064558/Unmasked-Baltimore-s-Batman-defended-boss-s-bar-machete.html

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gray's spine was severed by the State Department of Health Care Services according to him, or something inane.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

People from highschool who became LEOs juiced a ton so maybe that has been what's tying in to the family-abuse thing? What age were the perp officers in those numbers?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hmm yes. I'm sure the NYPD encourages riots when one of their own is slain.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He owed somebody money and didn't pay. Simple.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zimmerman could actually fight in a war and probably live, he's been in so many violent encounters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

im gay posted:

Two black people got shot by police for stealing a case of beer.

http://www.theolympian.com/2015/05/21/3737619_two-suspected-shoplifters-shot.html?rh=1

Police are starting to take a hardline at people who do beer runs, because it's a sign of a lack of impunity among the public.

• Locked thread