Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Ferguson basically one of those speedbump towns that makes most of it's revenue by hassling people driving through it on their way to other places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
When you start breaking random poo poo in the area, your protests stops being a protest and starts being a riot.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

effectual posted:

^ Is Finland a pretty white country? Whites mostly get violent when they have someone else to hate.

Good. Protests that don't disrupt anything don't change anything.

I'm sure that's very comforting to the random shop owners who's windows got broken and the motorists who were attacked by protesters, none of which had anything to do with the guy being protested about's death.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If anything, rioting has the opposite effect.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Also providing cushy office jobs for whichever party currently controls the White House.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PerpetualSelf posted:

Kill yourself white privileged scum.

Shut up nerd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, if you point any kind of gun-looking object at a cop you are asking for it. Anyone should know that that is a dumb idea.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

Is this thread where people with lovely rhetoric just post at each other in an unending circle?

Yes. Yes, it is.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How does each version of this thread manage to be worse than the previous one?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

As an addict, I can't even imagine being in withdrawal while in jail. Not only are you having to deal with withdrawal, which is hellish and torture in and of itself, but you're also having to deal with the stress of being in jail and not being given access to what little can help or ease the withdrawal.

Like, just the thought of being in that situation makes me feel sick, and I cannot even imagine what sort of person could see someone going through that level of suffering and show no empathy. And that's not even mentioning the whole "letting a person die (likely related to dehydration from the withdrawal)" thing. I can't even comprehend what would make someone such a bad person.

IMO, if you hate withdrawal, you should probably not be doing drugs that can cause it when your dumb rear end gets arrested and thrown in jail.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

joeburz posted:

because people in these positions tend to not view the addict as a person, or at least one worth empathizing with in the first place anyways. they see the addict as vermin or scum not worth their time and only worth derision.

Haha you should read TCC sometime. Most of the people who do the hard stuff are, indeed, vermin or scum and only worth derision.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
One of these things is not like the other. I am making fun of people who complain about withdrawal symptoms when they get thrown in jail.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

Would you make fun of a person who went into diabetic shock if the police didn't treat them as well?

If they got diabetes because of an unquenching hunger for sweets, after the doctor told them that eating sweets would be a dumb idea because they're prone to diabetes, then yes, I would.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkie posted:

Cool so you just derive pleasure from people suffering and dying because, in your mind, they deserved it for making bad choices. How about AIDS victims who had unprotected sex? Actually, you know what, I'm just going to leave this alone as you're either failing to conceptualize this incident as involving a real person who has feelings and a family just like you, or you're a sadist. Or you're just trolling.

I am perfectly fine with laughing at people suffering because of dumb life choices.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

No, but it sure makes them feel safer intimidating the public when they hop out of a military vehicle with assault rifles. Also where do they get the budget for this stuff? Are they shaking down their community to pay for these toys?

The feds have been handing out surplus equipment basically for free since 9/11.

Typical Pubbie posted:

Because it's disgustingly easy for criminals to arm themselves with high capacity rifles in this country.

When you say "high capacity rifle" what, precisely, are you thinking of? :allears:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
IMO, SWAT teams should be on a county level in most areas rather than an individual department level.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

semper wifi posted:

Why are people protesting when almost nothing is known at this point?

i see this post a lot but what is it supposed to mean?

It's stupid LF poo poo and should be ignored, much like the people who post it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In that 99% of bank robberies these days just involve the guy passing the teller a note and no one around noticing, I agree.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

If other first world countries can do it I believe we can make it a reality here too.

Your beliefs are fanciful and dumb. Achieving this would require the total disarmament of the civilian population of the US and of all countries surrounding it and that is never ever EVER going to happen.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lemming posted:

Don't worry, the situation is a lot more depressing:

http://rt.com/usa/trooper-watts-sues-cops-harrasment-575/

Do you have a source for this that is not a well-known propaganda organ of the Russian government?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ElCondemn posted:

Someone literally called us sociopaths for not empathizing with the killer enough...

It's more like a bunch of people are insanely care mad a cop didn't die, regardless of circumstances.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think it's more that the SFPD realize that acting as an enforcement arm of ICE would make it more difficult to do their jobs.

Pft, it's not like the immigration services do anything to keep criminals out once they get deported anyways. :negative:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

Yes, someone said that in the thread, not sure what that's supposed to be evidence of besides one person's opinion. It's hardly evidence of a lack of good faith debate, that's for sure.

It is when 90% of the posts in the thread are in a similar vein, and when almost every iteration of this kind of thread has had people literally posting "Kill all police", wishing for police to die during traffic stops, etc.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GlyphGryph posted:

1. It was overturned by the Internet Supreme Court last year, so no.
2. It makes you forum bffs, much like facebook friends it may or not not indicate something mirroring the real life relationship.
3. As a legal person yourself, can known associations ever be used as evidence?

It's weird how adamant you are the officers not racist. If his associates came out on the news and said "yeah, he was always hassling black people" or his record was released and he had zero complaints from white men but a bunch from black men and women of all races, would you still be arguing that this stop wasn't racist?

Your opinion, along with several of the people in this thread's opinions, seem to be that absent any evidence, if a white cop stops a black person it's because of racism. This is plainly retarded.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Another innocent citizen, cruelly gunned down by the cold, unfeeling hands of the Ferguson police department.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of funny watching people flop around all over the place and get mad at AR for being anal about wording poo poo properly when that is literally how she makes her living-- using exactly the right terms is of critical importance when it comes to legal poo poo.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Veskit posted:

I don't have the time nor the patience to read the 1000 posts I missed. May I ask what we're even debating here?

Skub, basically.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Never claimed that you did.

And you did say that most people in prison were there fairly, which means you largely agree with the length of sentences being handed down for most crimes.

No it doesn't? You can think that a bunch of people should be in prison while disliking how long they are in for.

Also almost every post you've made in this thread is you trying to play some sort of stupid "gotcha!" game.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The homicide rate in Norway means jack poo poo considering it's vastly different size, location, and demographics compared to the US.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Arn't a pretty big chunk of murders basically heat of the moment type things? I don't think harsh sentencing is going to make those go away.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spoke Lee posted:

Don't do this. The zeroing in on one portion of an argument in a vain attempt to not have to address the rest is so draining to read.

"People should ignore the most important part of my argument being wrong and not point it out in any way". Do you realize how retarded that sounds?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

LeJackal posted:

And if you're ignorant of that fact, it's your own fault, right?

If someone is ignorant of basic facts about how the legal system works that anyone should have learned in school, yes, it is, in fact, their own fault.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Raerlynn posted:

Remind me again which high school class teaches these basic facts. Because it wasn't in any of the four high schools in different parts of the country I went to. (military brat)

My highschool taught me this in Civics, just like that person above me.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

You sound like one of those pro-gun folks that always suggest mental healthcare reform but never have any specific suggestions to make that happen.

:ironicat:

:ironicat::ironicat::ironicat:

As opposed to the many many "useful" suggestions on the other side of the spectrum that have been posted in this thread?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob James posted:

The kid is just a proxy for the real mastermind: Flava Flav.

First good post in this thread.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That sheriff is 100% right.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grey Fox posted:

I'm hoping you stopped reading before you got to the Sandy Hook/9-11 truther part at the bottom.

I meant about the gun law stuff. My eyes kind of automatically glaze over when I reach text with conspiracy theories in it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Also let's not forget this cop couldn't beat a 17 year old kid in a fight even with a Taser. By his own admission he's a pathetic wimp who thought a teenager was going to beat him into unconscious and then, for some reason, execute him.

Cops have weapons specifically so that it's not a fair fight. Do you think an arrest is an old tyme duel?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's not going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

His refusal to answer my questions asking him if he's essentially a functional member of society can only make me assume that he shops wearing a paper bag over his head and only pays in cash because he's such a torch bearer for privacy in general.

Or he's a worthless concern troll.

Or he's a Freeman on the Land because my avatar doesn't have a gold, fringed border/frame.

I think he's refusing to answer your questions because they are stupid.

• Locked thread