Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Is there any movement in the Tamir Rice shooting case in Cleveland? Is there any indictment or charge? Any discipline or dismissal of the shooter or just the usual circling of wagons by Cleveland PD?

The city pissed off people since in their filing they claim that the kid's actions in the two seconds he had directly caused his death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/03/us/cleveland-mayor-apologizes-for-language-used-to-blame-tamir-rice-for-his-death.html

It resulted in a few tone deaf lawyers saying they HAD to say that otherwise they wouldn't be doing their job, to which others said that they could have worded it in a less inflammatory fashion or covered their rear end in a different way since saying an unarmed kid of a race that has historically and presently faces oppression caused his own shooting by a person acting on authority of the state is absolutely ridiculous and acting like people should just suck it up because that's how the Civilized System works is offensive.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2015/03/citys_disrespectful_response_t.html

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I live in D.C and this is anecdotal but I see a pretty diverse mix of race.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That kid that the cops literally rolled up on and killed wasn't even "murder." There is pretty much no way for it to be applicable to the police since there is always the smallest possibility that a citizen could harm them so any proactive defense is legitimate and cowards who are scared of changing anything can claim that the system is fine and nothing is wrong. It's the status quo and no politician of note seems interested in changing it. Cops aren't supposed to be murder bots and even if they shouldn't be the first line when dealing with mentally unstable people, the fact that they go straight to kill shots is wrong and not something that we just have to grimly accept in order to protect officers (well we DO but we shouldn't).

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 18, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I don't understand why people who are so terrified of being hurt sign up for the only job they can get where you might realistically get shot at while you are at work. If you don't want to be in a dangerous situation and would rather shoot up a room full of people than die for the common good, why are you offering to protect and serve?

I think police training and culture does a decent amount of this after they join. There's a lot of reinforced notions that everyone is out to kill them and working in that environment it becomes reality that they have to be thankful for every day they make it home alive.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wait I thought tazers were "less than lethal." Are they a lethal threat in the hands of civilians but not police?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I can't imagine the terror of informing the police that he had that video, then slowly coming to the realization that if they murdered that other guy for no reason they certainly might kill him too for actually being a threat then booking it out of there. Going public was probably the safest thing to do at that point and not get randomly stopped and killed for "resisting." He's a hero.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think it goes beyond just the police. As evidenced by several recent cases the entire system in inherently racist. It doesn't matter much if police are caught on camera or by many witnesses doing horrible things and the response is for the prosecutor to intentionally fumble the case and go after the cameraman. That judge in Ferguson was in on the money making racket along with other people in the government and often it feels there is no penalty for being openly corrupt or biased especially if you can't vote them out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The fact that no one in the government seems care that police departments don't have to report accurate data on the citizens they execute without trial says all I need to know how much the political class and serious people consider rampant police abuse to be a problem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

There's a weird attitude in the U.S (and it's present on these forums sometimes as well) where police interactions with non-police is a zero sum game where if you ask cops to not be as trigger happy, you are directly calling for more officers to be killed. That is not hyperbole at all.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm willing to have fewer officers if it means they spend less time writing bullshit tickets and murdering people.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Get hosed New York Times. Every murderer is a complicated person, I wonder why exactly THIS is the one that needs an article where two thirds is about his child hood and how his family thinks he's a great guy (before offhandedly mentioning that he has a history of using his authority to terrorize black people). The New York Times is the most Serious People news outlet, even more than anything in DC, and I hate them for it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fairfax County isn't a small town, it's one of the wealthiest counties in the country and basically a suburb of Washington D.C and it's dealing with the officers who shocked a woman to death in a jail cell. Rampant police abuse is a national issue that no one in power considers a real problem.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah calling a secret black ops site where you torture and disappear people without trials an "issue" doesn't really convey the gravity of how bad the American justice system is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lemming posted:

B-b-but that would be... reverse racism! The worst kind of racism!

The only kind of racism.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

We really need to figure out how to deal with prosecutors that work with people in order to let them get away with murder. It seems like a huge failing of the justice system that it keeps happening and everyone involved is like "yeah that's hosed up but what can you do?" like the system is some kind of natural law that is totally immutable. Even more infuriating is when we all have to pretend that the prosecutors in question were doing their jobs honestly since to infer otherwise would tarnish the name of the Justice System and we can't have that. :ohdear:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Out of curiosity, how many prosecutors do you know?

Several although not closely. I'm not sure how that's really relevant.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Well, you're assuming that a major failing in the system is an epidemic of unethical prosecutors conspiring to help people escape justice. I think whether or not you have any first hand experience with this allegedly unethical class of persons is at least somewhat relevant.

How on earth are you getting that I think all or even most prosecutors are performing unethical actions because I believe the system doesn't have a way to properly deal with the ones that very publicly are scrubbing cases for certain people? The fact that this occurs at all without any real (at least public) attempts to rectify it is really bad and doesn't need to reach epidemic proportions before we decide it's worth tackling.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I've been looking for this for five years thanks.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

Good luck making police departments contribute to metrics designed to out their corruption when they don't even release numbers on how many people they kill on an annual basis.

I think requiring all police departments to keep track of this information in detail and report it annually would be step one in any endeavor to combat these issues. It's farcical that it already isn't mandatory.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The idea that 3.2 deaths from government employees a day is just something we have to accept since any realistic alternative is impossible (or just too hard legally) to implement as soon as possible is maddening. If 3.2 white, suburban moms were being killed by police a day there would be a public outcry and heads would be rolling but because these people are different combinations of minorities, poor, and mentally instable it's just the price we have to pay as a society to keep things clean. 3.2 deaths a day from the police should be a news headline everyday until the situation is rectified but you only hear about it in the most blatant and egregious cases. That rate is obscene and a black mark on our justice system that we let it continue.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 24, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whenever I hear people :qq:ing about rioters angry that the justice system is once again failing them, you know what they are really saying is "why don't you just take the abuse with good nature?" since they don't seem to care that much about the initial issues that led to the riot or the economy of the neighborhood before the incident.

Riots are terrible, but the way to stop them from happening is to have a justice system that isn't a sham instead of blaming the victims for the only outlet of anger they have left.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Especially since the thing that lead to the riots is usually "looting" and "violence" committed by those in power that is far more damaging than that done by the protesters. It's almost as if there's a double standard in effect.

Pillaging and murder are ok as long as Serious People say that the System did its job and the proper steps were taken. If you aren't satisfied it's because you just don't understand how things work. You are of course free to disagree but make sure you do it in a way that doesn't inconvenience anyone and can easily be ignored. :smugdog:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

As Reddit put it so eloquently

Because he got shot by a white guy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Coincidentally X is where white people don't have to do or change anything.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Protesting doesn't do jack since any amount of inconvenience is "taking it out on people that aren't responsible." If protesters, angry that they are being killed, so much as block a street people get angry and proclaim that they are doing damage to their cause. The only way for protesters to not inconvenience anyone is to be so ineffectual as to not be noticed, thus not changing anything. The fact of the matter is that most of this country is fine with the status quo or don't care enough about it to side against it and are quick to vilify anyone that tries to either shake it up or reacts negatively towards it.

Riots aren't planned events, they are the natural reaction to crippling systematic opression. Everyone knows that riots don't make people sympathetic but they are understandable when you are living under what the people of Baltimore have been dealing with.

MLK posted:

It is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard.

The way to not have riots is to not oppress people and have a functional and fair justice system. Or to not have sports teams.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 28, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Obama is giving a speach that is suprisingly critical of the police and explaining how crippled communities lead to crime.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lol CNN just replaced the 30 second clip where Obama criticized the looters and then cut off the majority of his responds where he talks about currupt police and systemic issues causing crime and that we as a society need to fix that root cause.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's weird that random looters cast a dark shadow over all protesters who are somehow responsible for their actions, but police which are part of a large and orchestrated system are always just "bad apples" until they get exonerated by the system and then "what are you complaining about the system works."

There's really no point to hand wringing about a riot when we have them all the time for much dumber reasons and the much, much bigger issue is systemic police abuse and murder that goes unpunished. It's hard to care that a CVS got robbed when a man who had commited no crime had his spine snapped by the police who still haven't given a reason why so when people bring that up as if it's the real problem here it comes off very transparently.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone is being ironically racist for any reason other than to mock racism directly, the truth is that they are probably really racist.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The police killing an unarmed man in the street is simply fantastical, much like a griffin or some other mythological beast.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

MLK and the civil rights movement of his time being used by the current modern day versions of the racist people they were marching against to disparage minorities today is absolutely disgusting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spacman posted:

No, I believe that the police should be thoroughly condemned because of 'the few bad apples', likewise I think the rioters should be thoroughly condemned because of 'a few bad apples'.

I think there is zero difference between the two sides in this. Anybody who has a few bad apples spoiling the bunch should be equally thrown into the maelstrom of violence.

That's absolutely absurd. One group is a hugely disorganized group of people with no real power that may or may not have anything to do with one another. The protesters are not necessarily rioting and vice versa. The police on the other hand are a group of government employees that have been shown to be above to law, killing people and getting away with it, and also being backed by the system that is actively oppressing the citizens of that city. The power differential is humongous and to say that they are even remotely equivalent is naive at best and apologism for systemic abuse at worst.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

White people need to take back the n-word since clearly black people can't be responsible with it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone that believes the self spine breaking story is either a massive idiot, incredibly racist, or both. There is possibly like a 0.0001% chance he did break his own back but if that's the story you believe over the much more likely one that he was murdered you are one of those two things.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 30, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is no way a handcuffed shackled man could generate enough force to break a vertebra like that, not without an assist from the drivers.

Exactly. Anyone that believes that is really obviously reaching and its shameful we have people in the media like Geraldo trying to propagate it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bullfrog posted:

An 18 year old was filmed smashing a cop car window. His parents told him to do the right thing and turn himself in, and he did.
They set his bail at 500k and he could be looking at life in prison (but more likely, 4 to 8 years). #AllCarsMatter

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2015/04/balt_teen_encouraged_to_turn_self_in_by_parents_held_on_500_000_bail_faces.html

Those parents are idiots.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whenever police do anything bad it's reported in the passive voice as if people and dogs just kill themselves when police walk by.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

The step father seems to know how things work "Go turn yourself in or the cops will break down that door and possibly shoot your family members"

Fair enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TwoQuestions posted:

How and why are public defenders funded, and what incentive (aside from reputation/professional pride) do they have to represent their clients well?

The cynic in me says they're a powerless prop put in place so they can say the accused wasn't completely defenseless, akin to giving someone a dull pocketknife so you can say they were armed when 10 men gunned them down.

I know a few (some that actually worked in Baltimore) and they definitely are trying to do their job well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Filing blatantly fake charges should be a firing at the very minimum. Preferable he should be charged himself since he tried to use the system to ruin a person's life.

• Locked thread