Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/local/investigations/mike-perlstein/2015/02/26/charges-crumble-after-cell-phone-video-uncovered/24039559/

So maybe we shouldn't limit the body cameras to cops. Apparently anybody who works with them should also be required to have a camera rolling 24/7. Seems like "Us vs. Them" is a recurring theme in these cases.

Poor guy was delivering a summons to a cop which caused this cop plus several of his co-workers to throw a tantrum in public. He returned home and 20 minutes later the posse rolls up to his house and arrests him on two felonies and a misdemeanor. The alleged charges for the arrest were intimidating a witness, obstruction of justice and battery.

This was all proven false thanks to a family member with a call phone cam who caught the whole exchange, but at least seven people signed off on the false police report as witnesses including the chief and a couple of prosecutors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dum Cumpster posted:

... but the outcome we got wasn't unacceptable, just sad.

That's a matter of perspective.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
I think it's telling that to a certain subset of posters in this thread, there is no such thing as legitimate criticism towards law enforcement.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

Who is going to pay for it? Regular force-on-force classes aren't cheap, and are going to difficult to justify in the context of limited budgets when most police will never fire their guns outside the range.

Maybe they could sell some of their Homeland Security toys? Seems like there is always money for that bullshit.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

It wouldn't be much money. All the homeland security stuff is provided at little cost, having been already bought, paid for and used by the federal government.

I know. There's never money for anything that they don't want to do, is there? Body cameras, rape kits, ethics classes...no problem on the MRAP though, it's a bargain.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rent-A-Cop posted:

MRAPS are free and the reason they are free is because nobody wants them. DoD tried to sell them and even the sort of tinpots that are usually all over a deal on armored peasant-murder-machines wouldn't touch them. Police departments mostly just park them on a backlot somewhere and bring them out once a year for the county fair.

I know. There's never money for anything that they don't want to do, is there?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Mavric posted:

Ugh if only we could use this massive military budget to send experts to train local police forces not to act like scared white gun owners, but alas, all the money is tied up producing equipment no one needs.

*Puts two wars on a credit card*

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rah! posted:

An excellent post

Thanks for this post. It's horrifying and depressing, but the effort is appreciated.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

hobbesmaster posted:

Ex military stuff is free to police departments, so outfitting a swat team costs literally nothing.

Maintenance too? Training on how to use the equipment, or do they just wing it?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Voyager I posted:

They are separate problems. The contracts exist to let military industrial shitlords sell more hardware. The cops getting their leftovers is just a side-effect, and if you stopped that from happening the government would just throw them all in a pit or whatever because the contract still says they have to buy X whatevers per year.

Works for me. Maybe even get a few pennies for scrap.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

TheQat posted:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tulsa-sheriff-stanley-glanz-fbi-closed-investigation tulsa sheriff claims FBI exonerated his department in the reserve deputy shooting

Nah, they don't have jurisdiction for that. They probably said that there was not enough evidence to bring charges for a civil rights violation and the sheriff is either confused or covering his rear end/his friends rear end.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ActusRhesus posted:

Lol learning something from the Michael brown thread. Because the opinions of people in the internet are way more compelling than the actual released case files.

So anecdotes are bad now?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Why do cops hate cameras so much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-J-6SkuKJ0

There must be some reason, maybe they think photographs steal souls.

Oh, here's the news story that goes with it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEGMVzGLWo

VVVVVVV Maybe they should learn to use their words like big boys.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

shrike82 posted:

Some of the images/videos floating around are ridiculous e.g., black kids cutting up a firehose while firefighters are trying to put out a burning building.
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Yes, let's all take a moment to feel superior.

Ahhhh, good show old bean.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Waco Panty Raid posted:

If everyone knew about these violations then why wasn't anything being done before?

Hmmm. You're almost there, keep thinking.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Spacman posted:

No, I believe that the police should be thoroughly condemned because of 'the few bad apples', likewise I think the rioters should be thoroughly condemned because of 'a few bad apples'.

I think there is zero difference between the two sides in this. Anybody who has a few bad apples spoiling the bunch should be equally thrown into the maelstrom of violence.

The rioters will face consequences. What about the police?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Spacman posted:

Really? The National Guard rolled out in uniform and armed. They rode in in MRAPS , the military is currently enforcing the civil authority in one of your cities an you think the police are the issue?

Really.

Really. For reals, yo.

Do you think the police that broke this mans back will face any consequences?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Spacman posted:

I dunno matey, you have the local military locking down one of your cities. You should ask them this dumb question. Maybe they will shoot you in the scone with a rubber bullet.

I can only hope.

You're right, that is a dumb question. We all know that they will not face any consequences.

Are you a cartoon character or something?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Spacman posted:

Matey, I'm not your enemy. I'm just saying that you might not want to waste you bullshit on me because you literally have the state military called up by and crawling about a major city under curfew because your white cops like killing black guys.

What bullshit are you talking about exactly? I asked you a question.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Spacman posted:

You are not my wife. You are not my Mother.

So I feel confident telling you to shove your head up your own arse and choke on your own poo poo before demanding anything of me

OK, I've got you figured out now, thanks.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Zeitgueist posted:

"No, gently caress you, female!"

:qqsay:

Dude gets really upset when you ask him to think about what he posted.

:shrug:

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

blackguy32 posted:

I find that its amazing that people in general are so super focused on the riots that they forgot the cause of a lot of these riots is a man ending up dead with nobody providing any answers and the city asking for peace after it loving killed a man for simply running from the police.

Riot chat is easier "since it agrees with their pre conceived ideas their brains just shut down"

Hmm, where have I heard that before.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

This may come as a shock, but someone who can fill their lungs with that much air to yell that loudly and repeatedly can in fact breathe. That's why the cops probably don't give a gently caress... The video proves the man is breathing just fine, and probably making it worse by his own actions.

Eric Garner says what?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
^^^^ What he said

happyhippy posted:

Still waiting for the autopsy to be finialized, so to base what happened around that.

A local Baltimore investigative reporter says that the "he broke his own back" theory contradicts earlier reporting and statements by police.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/04/30/baltimore-reporter-disputes-details-of-leaked-p/203482

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 30, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Cichlid the Loach posted:

My favorite one was from a report, I don't remember which incident it was, that said the suspect struggled or whatever, "at which point an officer-involved shooting occurred." Verbatim. drat these free-floating officer-involved shootings, spontaneously coalescing on top of these fine upstanding officers!

Remember cop that assaulted the MTA employee on the subway? That was a pretty stark before and after on the descriptors.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

grah posted:

Pretty much this entire incident was on camera, and the MTA union pitched a huge fit about it (as they should have), which probably helped get a fair take on the incident put out there. Also, since cops and transit personnel often have to work together to deal with unruly or indigent customers in the system, this sort of assault is a huge breach of trust. Transit workers in New York aren't really very otherized to the NYPD in most cases, so it's a very atypical case.

I was trying to point out how the media changed their description of the incident once they found out it was a cop. Initial reports were about how a Huge Thug/Hulking Brute assaulted the MTA employee. After it was determined he was a cop, passive voice took over and there were a bunch of "allegedly's" thrown around.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

grah posted:

Oh my bad, I thought you were presenting it as a counterexample to how police are portrayed. I misread you totally, my bad!

No problem, it wasn't a very detailed post.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Stealing this from another thread, thanks Paper With Lines.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

tsa posted:

Instead of claiming some passive voice conspiracy done of you should probably just crack open an English book.

No this is just confirmation bias, you have literally no evidence to back this up.

Spun Dog posted:

I was trying to point out how the media changed their description of the incident once they found out it was a cop. Initial reports were about how a Huge Thug/Hulking Brute assaulted the MTA employee. After it was determined he was a cop, passive voice took over and there were a bunch of "allegedly's" thrown around.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ABQ Journal posted:

U.S. Magistrate Judge William Lynch approved the settlement – the precise amount of which is confidential – at a hearing earlier this month, and the lawsuit was dismissed Monday with “no admission, finding or implication of negligence, liability or wrongdoing” by the officer, Chris Webb.

Body cameras need to be mandatory.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lemming posted:

He was probably trying to joke back. The kid made a joke by raising his hand and saying "I DON'T want to clean it, ha ha" and he was probably trying to make a lovely police brutality joke, and then did it for real.

I say this just because tasing a kid for no reason in broad daylight is so egregiously, monumentally stupid I don't think anyone would do that on purpose. Pointing a taser at a child is already monumentally loving stupid, though.

Have you been following the news lately? Tamir Rice comes to mind.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Please Kyoon, tell us more.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just to make sure, that's the kid who was sitting in the park alone and then the police officer is on camera almost running him down, jumping out of the car and immediately shooting him, right?

Unfortunately, yes

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Trabisnikof posted:

That reminded me, lets check in on those cops that ran a guy off the road as part of a motorcycle gang....

Oh right, the trial is just beginning.

Lets check in on their arguments:

And lets see how they're describing their behavior:

Yup, punching through a broken window to make the hole bigger is just normal cop behavior. Just like participating in dangerous criminal activities and not stopping someone getting beaten and just driving off (never calling 911 or reporting anything in the meanwhile) is "reacting like a cop."

Also there are texts from the officer from the day before that are were concerning enough his handler was worried (with bonus OWS police surveillance):

Oh yeah and of course the good part:

From a little ways back, but this is spectacularly hosed up. Here's an article with some video of the assault.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/wife-banker-beaten-bikers-recalls-attack-article-1.2228107

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rent-A-Cop posted:

poo poo like this is why nobody takes these people seriously. Fuckin' upper-middle class children desperately seeking some kind of authentic proletarian experience because their entire lives have been a meaningless glide from the womb to a mid-level corporate vice-presidency.

Sure, they aren't great but they aren't really doing any harm. Bitching about them takes the focus off of abuse by police and the justice system which, to me, is a much bigger problem. They are just an easy target that people like to bring up as a deflection.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

I like how if black people protest, they're race-baiting, and if white people protest they're inauthentic

So it goes...

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

flakeloaf posted:

But he was acquitted anyway, either because the jury really hates druggie vandal squatters or because they believed his claim that Devine, who was very much hosed up on drugs, tried to resist his good-faith attempt to evict them from his house.

Burgarello owns an alarm company and has been a pretty big fish in Nevada for a while. It's a possibility his money and connections helped him out.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

pathetic little tramp posted:

No sources yet, but from the judge: the officer who shot him is going to be charged with murder, the officer with him will be getting negligent homicide.

Huh, this would be a pleasant surprise, but we'll see if this guy ever serves any time.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Dead Reckoning posted:

"Some other cops shot a black guy, so why can't these cops throw aside all human sentiment and gun down one of their co-workers in the middle of a hostage situation?"

One trick pony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lemming posted:

I guess that's a fair point. He's definitely going to jail, but might be treated with kid gloves still.

There's always a chance a sympathetic DA just declines to press charges. Not much would surprise me anymore.

• Locked thread