Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The idea is that the power pulses to the tire, the uneven firing order allows more time for the tire to rotate before the power pulse hits the tire, vs. a traditional firing order where it fires every 180 degrees of crank rotation. Less wear to the tire, and supposedly easier to modulate.

Unsure if it makes a different at normal human riding speeds and feel, haven't ridden a modern R1. But given they're still using it on the GP bike so there's gotta be some reasonable benefits there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

That was the idea but it was something that was just spitballed by some engineers after the fact to justify why it works. Yamaha released a big paper about it in like 2010 and what is happening is the crankshaft spins so fast in the racing bikes that it is applying a lot of power to the wheels just from inertia making the bike harder to control, particularly while leaned over. There is a decent explanation in the R1 video from the last gen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEXUrO5wYcE&t=139s

That video seems a little questionable. First of all, the existence of very controllable, 175hp twins puts the idea that inertial torque is a factor in controlability out the loving window. The other thing is, the inertial torque is going to change consistently with the rate of change of the RPM, and as a result, is simply a part of the engine characteristics at higher or lower RPMs that we normalize to naturally. The difference between how responsive the throttle feels at low vs high RPM.

But to get into the weeds a bit on it, at 8k RPM, you have 4000 combustion events per minute per cylinder, which makes 66 events per second per cylinder. That's 264 firing events across the 4 cylinders in a single second. The difference in "inertial torque" is going to occur between those firing events, so you're talking about the rider detecting a rate of change on crank speed in 1/500th of a second increments. But that also assumes that the engine is directly connected to the road. In this case, that change in crank inertia has to go through the complete drivetrain, so you're looking at not looking at the performance of the engine but rather looking at outcome after it goes through the primary drive, clutch basket, clutch pack, transmission input shaft, transmission output shaft, countershaft sprocket, chain, sprocket, cush drive , wheel, and tire, before you get the into feedback that the rider can actually feel. The cush drive and deflection on the tire is easily going to normalize that sort of change, considering that it's already handling a much more significant combustion event that is actually driving the wheel - I highly doubt the dropoff time between the firing events (because the power stroke and firing event/gas expansion drives the piston over a chunk of the crank rotation anyways...) is even really detectable.

I really don't think anyone is going to be capable of feeling the difference between smooth, consistent acceleration like you'd get out of an electric engine and something that's accelerating a system with a pile of inertia in it in 264 tiny push increments. And the idea with the "crank inertia" thing they put forward is that people aren't just detecting the obvious firing pulse, they're detecting the dropoffs between those firing events taking place every 1/264th of a second, which, on it's face, seems like it's an order of magnitude subtler than a human could detect. Could someone legitimately detect the difference between something that's pushing you with the same total amount of force in 26 tiny increments per second and 100 tiny increments per second, let alone 264?

I honestly have never really bought the crossplane being that much better, but I haven't ridden one, so sort of trusted the marketing a bit. But on additional thought, I bet the more realistic reason they have it is it solves some motogp level problem that is irrelevant in production designs and it's just marketing and not wanting to waste R&D that gets it in their normal bikes.

It's an interesting thing to think about, though!

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

This guy has a better write up on it, gently caress me if I can find the Yamaha presentation on it, it might not be on the internet. I do know Neil Spalding and Julian Ryder attended the presentation on it and sperged out heavily in a practice session about how more of a break between power strokes gives the tire time to rest is a theory completely rejected by Yamaha and Bridgestone. I get all my motorcycle knowledge from fat britains.

They seem to know their poo poo, at least.

I mean, maybe it makes a difference, maybe it doesn't, that's one of the things that's still super awesome about bikes. There's a pile of poo poo where we're just like "meh, no idea, ride the bike".

That whole thing about "twins coming off the corner faster" has been pretty thoroughly disproven though - I think PB did a thing where they found an S1000RR came off a corner harder than a 1198, IIRC.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

poo poo, Dovi on the gas.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Dani Pedrosa will forever be a less likeable Randy Mamola.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You thought it was real for like 3 glorious minutes didn't you:

"Well, at least he's out of MotoGP, but KTM, but he's out of MotoGP, but he's on KTM - I guess it's ok...

GODDAMNIT"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

He's Randy Mamola with no personality to back it up. And I like the guy, all things considered.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'll be there on Sunday for a few hours to get my head scanned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.montereycountyweekly.com...351bb5db43.html

Sad and lovely :(

No idea what happened there, sounds like the worst type of racing incident. We were out at T5-T6 so didn't see anything :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There were 5-6 bikes down - only takes one bad hit, really, and the launch is the worst time, just nowhere to go :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsap's funny just turned into tragedy on a slightly longer timeline this time. :(

I haven't seen any video, but it happened on the outside of turn 1, which is a small kink over a blind rise in the middle of the front "straight". One rider lost power, threw their hand up, got hit by the pack, which started the chain reaction :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hayden. posted:

The impression I got is that no one really respected him despite constantly winning and he was a drama magnet and cared a lot more about his family than continuing to make money. He already had a ton of cash and was set for life, why deal with frustrations if you don't have to. I think he got a lot more respect in retrospect when Rossi couldn't ride that Ducati for poo poo.

He was a drama magnet because he didn't play the game - his downfall was thinking that motorcycle racing at that level was about riding motorcycles fast.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

Lol someone on reddit agreed and simulated it on the video game

https://gfycat.com/ScarceOfficialGrayfox

This is the best thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

When you are about to collide with someone in a racing situation, you stick your limbs out to make contact early to try and avoid sticking your bar, peg, or catching fairings in a way that's gonna bring you both down.

It's also a notification to the other racer that you're leaning on them/they're leaning on you, and lets them know where you're at. Pushing your leg or knee out is completely natural and normal, you see it to a minor or greater degree in all contact incidents, as long as the lines of the riders are crossing. You see it less if one rider has a consistent line and the other rider is just leaning on them, and significantly more in pitched battles where the line choices become less consistent.

The only pity here is that Marquez crashed and the dumbest part is that Rossi looked at him. If he hadn't made it so loving obvious he was pissed, it would have been played off as a racing incident, just like every other time that Rossi has done something like this.

I think this might be the first time we've seen the GOAT break under pressure...probably because this is the first time that he's been competitive and also had competition he couldn't mind game (or shove) into the gravel. Gonna be interesting.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 31, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Completely expected and reasonable. Guess he's just gonna have to step up and show everyone why he's the GOAT.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Day Man posted:

Exciting race, great season!

There's always one jerk with the contrarian hot take.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Yeah.... test conditions are not race conditions, or qualifying or even practice conditions. I'd be shocked as all hell if he could wildcard and be at the very sharp end of the pack. Who knows, maybe. Thats why people like Casey right? They can point at him and say 'OH IF ONLY CASEY WAS HERE, he could do it!".

I have my doubts.

I dunno man, Bayliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wow Lorenzo was going crazy slow there. Double that up with the extra wide line and it's not really a surprise that he got rear end packed, it's not like there's a lot of ability to change line or direction when you're going flat out. Still Iannone's fault and a fuckup on his part, but if you're losing that much pace, running slightly tighter lines will force folks around the outside and signal somethings up. Using the track like that and with Lorenzo's smooth riding style, I can see why Iannone expected him to be going faster.

• Locked thread