Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zurreco posted:

I moved there from Chicago and even after ~15 years living there I never got used to the heat or the dryness. San Diego is literally a desert.

Well when your baseline is "lovely cold Midwestern weather", I guess you don't know how to react to it feeling nice outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Everyone I know who has lived in both Southern CA and somewhere with actual weather patterns has distinctively preferred the latter. Leaving SD was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

Having lived in both, gently caress the cold, I'll live in a place I actually enjoy living.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

We are all Californians and should all unite in our disapproval of people in the central valley

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

They grow food and meth, what does your end bring to the state?

Hollywood, Disneyland, and golf

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

California owns. When I lived in the PNW everyone hated Californians so much. So much jealousy

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Having annual passes owns

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

A significant amount of complaint are that Southern Californians are ridiculously frivolous, not that the North produces all its own water. Or at least I don't think I ever posted anything that could lead to that conclusion.

The only thing I water is my herb garden :colbert:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Everyone hates Anaheim though

Rally monkey bitch

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

What the hell did the Mexicans do to deserve the Raiders? :stonk:

Became fans.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Oakland and Alameda county are still trying to get Coliseum City thing done, so basically, no one has any loving idea what's going on anymore.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27754792/oakland-alameda-county-moving-forward-together-coliseum-city

Meanwhile the San Diego Stadium task force will have their financing plan done and ready to present to the mayor on May 20th.

Maybe no one will move.

Except the Rams

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Visiting teams will have an easy time preparing for their wins. Better facilities, shorter flights, still facing the Rams, etc etc.

The Rams are kinda good though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Nothing makes more sense than an AFC East team being in Southern California.

Go look up the NFC West before realignment in 2002

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

One of the SD Councilpeople (whose district Qualcomm is in) released a mocked up new stadium shot:

Looks like tailgating is not going to happen in that plan. I actually think a higher density plan is pretty smart in a city with so little real estate, though the big question would be transit options. If you've got housing and a hotel there, you're going to need lots of parking and rail/bike/bus/etc ways in and out.

Wanna see all those office buildings and hotels and apartments get built. If Friars road isn't congested NOW, just wait

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There is no way even half of that parking lot survives. I don't know if it's the biggest parking lot directly orbiting an NFL stadium right now, but it's right up there with KC

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

I don't understand how Phil would rather move his kids across the country to Tennessee than maybe moving them an hour, hour and a half north to Orange County. If he cared that much he should just Kobe helicopter it, I'm not even sure if it'd be smart or necessary to move.

Nashville is like two hours away from where he and his wife grew up. He'd love to be back in the South.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Volkerball posted:

What's to stop him from just retiring if he doesn't want to move from San Diego? Dude's no spring chicken, and he probably could have gotten by perfectly happy on 25k a year.

Absolutely nothing.

Here are the possibilities I see:

IF the Chargers announce that they're moving:

1. Rivers plays out the final year of his deal in San Diego. If the team slaps the franchise tag on him (They will), he'll retire. Dude doesn't need the money.

IF the Chargers announce that they're staying beyond 2016:

1. Rivers will sign a long term deal and retire a Charger.
2. Rivers will play under a series of one year deals facilitated by the franchise tag as long as the team remains in San Diego.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

So is the Raiders' new stadium going to be in San Marcos or New Braunfels?

Inglewood

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Carson is not going to happen. AEG is going to dive bomb everything.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Inglewood got approved 2 months ago and the Rams guy already owns the land, and it's closer to airport and the Metro and an larger planned development

Inglewood isn't Carson. Carson has the AEG StubHub center. There is no way that AEG isn't going to put up a fight if the nfl comes in and tries to build a stadium right in their backyard after all the failed AEG attempts to build an NFL Stadium

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

So is the LA Rams a done deal at this point, and we're just waiting around for the stadium to be built?

Pretty much. There's still the matter of actually filing for relocation, working out a deal on where to play in the interim, the relocation fee, getting owner approval, etc

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

No, just a more likely one IMO. Nobody is committed, the Carson stadium can still hapen.

They half-heartedly have tried to scuttle this poo poo but I don't think they have that kind of pull anymore.

You could be right, I'm just hoping you aren't. The more wrenches that get thrown into Carson, the more likely the Chargers stay.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Fwiw Telesco and the Chargers FO is still sticking to the "We want Rivers to stay forever" line so who knows

This whole thing has been a giant smokescreen and was never going to happen

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel about it. I don't trust any loving story that comes out of nowhere a few weeks before the draft, and giving up on a middle aged great QB is just insanity.

It came from Rivers saying he didn't want to sign an extension right now, and it morphed into something else. The Chargers aren't going to let him go, and will franchise him next year if need be.

For comparison sake, Eli doesn't have a contract after this season either and there are crickets concerning his future in New York

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I've been hearing all over local radio and such that San Diego State is already working behind the scenes to partner with an MLS team to build a 30-35k seat stadium on the SDSU campus in the event that the Chargers leave.

That's certainly a thing.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The most surprising part is that they would try and put an MLS team in San Diego.

Lotta people like soccer here

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Not disagreeing but with two teams in LA and the league already at 24 teams planned I can't see San Diego getting a team until 2020 or later.

Didn't Chivas fold?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

serious question why does the rams owner want to move to California while they are in such an intense drought?

Because his franchise will instantly double (at least) in value?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DreamtShadow posted:

Besides the second team keeping their own and luxury box revenue, what else would be split? Kroenke owns the stadium so he would get the money from naming rights and theoretically the other team would be leasing the use from the Rams.

This is why I can't see the Chargers moving in to be Stan Kroenke's Tennant.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

He was probably just there to support his family name

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

So next Wednesday, the CSAG (Citizen Stadium Advisory Group) plans to release their financing plan to both the mayor and the Chargers, a plan they've been working on for the last several months. Bits and pieces of it are starting to leak out:

-The plan is supposedly for a 1.3 Billion dollar facility on the Mission Valley site.
-The Chargers and NFL will each contribute $250 Million (They've both already publicized this)
-Both the city of San Diego and County of San Diego will contribute $120 Million each
-Development of the surrounding area (ala the Petco Park method) will pay for the rest of the stadium as well as pay the city and county back.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

do you mean the Chargers and NFL have already said they'd pay that much?

Yeah, the Chargers and NFL have said they'd kick in 250m each.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chargers stadium financing proposal will be officially released at 1pm PST today. Apparently there will be zero taxpayer money used :stare:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

JRizzle posted:

monster truck jams

They had one at Petco this year, it ruled

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There's a long way to go before we (if we) get official renderings

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Rasczak posted:

But what do they do if weather happens? Or if it gets above 80 degrees

Then they dominate the Seahawks and Seattle fans bitch about how it was unfair

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The 157 acres are also a toxic landfill that nothing can be built on.

Carson isn't real.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Alouicious posted:

I mean MetLife stadium exists so building on toxic landfill is not a problem for NFL stadiums

California.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Why don't they just bulldoze the colosseum?

Because the A's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I want Davis to suddenly roll out a plan that incorporates all Oakland sports into one, so the A's, Warriors (I think), and Raiders get a stadium, then move SJS to Oakland for the hell of it and create a Oakland sports mecca.

Am I allowed to dream?

The Warriors are moving to San Francisco and Oakland fans are really mad about it

• Locked thread