Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

If Davis isn't going to sell some of his ownership stake to Sheldon Adelson to get to Vegas, why would he sell some of his ownership stake to the Lott group to stay in Oakland?

I don't know the answer but in her defense she does say compromise from both parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/newballpark/status/838873441000390657

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

kiimo posted:

I'm incredibly torn about my hatred of Bank of America and my desire for Oakland to not have nice things.

Well strictly speaking Oakland is getting the nice thing.

Also, the new stadium will be like 90% luxury suites and club. And gently caress you if you can't afford it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

all-Rush mixtape posted:

They're not? Are they going to keep playing with Mount Davis in the outfield?

The new managing owner has taken a pretty strong stand about keeping the A's in Oakland. Their marketing hashtag right now is #rootedinOakland. My best guess is that they're looking at the site nearest jack London square. They held fan fest this year there.

My hope though is that they just demolish the coliseum and erect a new baseball only field at the same location.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a neat cape posted:

The A's weren't

Thats the nice thing about baseball. Even the very worst team is going to win 1/3 of their games. Also, baseball is good.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I lived through the Geren era

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Correct.

Mike Trout is the best player in baseball.

That's a funny way of spelling Bartolo Colon

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Stunt Rock posted:

That's more like it.

Look at you being wrong about everything ever. It's adorable!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Not renewing my season tickets. I wonder how many others are following suit.

Also, i blame Luniz who sang the line "from the bay to LA to Las Vegas"

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

That's my QB

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/lorenzogreyes/status/846438393462468608

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I wonder what makes you register a domain on Christmas day?

Al gave him a Christmas present by giving mark a peek at his will.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm also pretty excited to see the raiders play down there. Strap some phone books to your torso, there's gunna be some stabbings.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cash Monet posted:

Oakland doesn't have to pay out the nose for a financial sinkhole so they can claim that as a victory.

Oakland is still paying for mount Davis

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

warcrimes posted:

Sam Boyd Stadium is nowhere near the minimum NFL standards for hosting a pro game. Estimates put it at a year of work to get it ready. Also, I'm pretty sure the crowds in Oakland will remain large, there's a 20k season ticket backlog and not everyone has been overly pissed. We've been through this before.

I want to know how this plays out. I didn't renew this year for this reason. Mark offered refunds to anyone who wanted them. Otoh, the Raiders are playing their best football in a while and I expect another playoff run.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Football is interesting because it's about setup and 100% effort execution. College football is great because the crowd and the band and that there are so many games, there's bound to be a really good one any saturday during the season. The NFL is good because of the incredible athleticism. Especially apparent when you watched college the day before. NFL players are so much bigger and stronger and faster that it's like a whole new game they're playing.

Hockey and basketball and good for that athleticism and for the flow. It's constant motion, maybe less so in basketball for the stops for penalties.

Baseball otoh is about context. A game seven is a rollercoaster depending whether you're up or your down, the sense of impending victory or doom as the innings get later but the never quite knowing because one pitch could mean a three run home run. A mid-may game can be a snoozer because there doesn't seem to be the same consequence to winning or losing. Even each batter has different context. This guy is weak against lefties, this guy is a power hitter, this pitcher is getting tired, he can't locate, he's pitching down to get a ground ball double play. Every thing is different for each pitch. I think the league misses out by not having a single nationally broadcasted game with different announcing, maybe for younger people, with more emphasis on the actual game going on. As it is, you get a bunch of homer old men chatting up filling up air time for a whole season and it can get boring. Better or worse depending on your announcers. I also like baseball because there's so much of it. You see the same guys on your team almost every day over the course of the season. They have ups and downs. With twitter, they have real personalities. My wife calls baseball my soap opera.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

To be fair, the San Francisco airport is not in San Francisco either. It's like 4 towns down the peninsula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The only thing preventing SF from being LA is geography. Other than that... everything I liked about SF when I first moved here has been gentrified away. The only thing keeping me here is the wife's family.

• Locked thread