Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

MikeCrotch posted:

I guess I was thinking more of baseball and how players will have no-trade clauses to make it more expensive to move them to cities they don't want to play in, and forgot how little power NFL players have in comparison. But still, you have to imagine that quality free agents are going to want a premium to move to London (even if hiring top free agents is not a good way to build a football team but w.e.)

But you are totally right that it is down to ownership, and I simply cannot see an owner that is going to want to move to London also put out a winning team on the field. As with the Rams and whatever other team moves to LA, having a memorable team on the field in the early years will be crucial to keeping people's interest, otherwise they are going to see a lovely team driving people away, and we are back to square one with an owner facing dwindling revenue and threatening to move.

I think you might be wrong on quality free agents, because while there will be people who don't want to move to London, there will be people who are very excited to move to London. Versus Cleveland or Indy, where there is literally no one who is excited to go there. So it's probably going to be like any other major market, where there are a lot of people drawn to it for various reasons and some put off by it for others.

Regarding ownership, you're probably right, unless a UK-based owner ends up buying and moving a team or getting an expansion franchise. I don't know how likely that is. Barring that, the team would probably only be successful if they lucked out on the next Peyton or Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sharzak posted:

Move the NFC East to North Korea

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Ross Angeles posted:

SD is offering more than Oakland is. The Chargers just won't come to the table. The Raiders might.

If the Chargers go to LA and the Raiders come to SD, do you stay with the Chargers or go to the dark side?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Return my phylactery to me and I myself will carry you to the gates of Valhalla.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Parmesan Basil posted:

Never live in a city with more than 250,000 people.

Terrible advice, not having to drive to go literally anywhere owns

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They should make this into a Will Ferrell movie or something.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They will punt forever, shiny and chrome.

If Vegas gets both the Raiders and an expansion NHL team after this year, that'll be pretty cool for the people who live there (which is a shitton of people for the fact there's no major sports teams), and it will make visiting even more awesome because those two seasons cover most of the year.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 15, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Vegas should literally be alternate 1985 Hill Valley IMO

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

DOOP posted:

Vegas Raiders will completely upstage the Vegas NHL team

Oh well

Except the NHL team is actually going to happen because they have the money.

They're short like $900 million for that $1.4B stadium and that's not even including relocation fees. I don't see how Mark Davis can possibly do this and retain ownership of the team.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If they stay, they can just stop trying to fight the sewage problem and embrace it. Develop a resistance to it and turn it into a homefield advantage.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So long to the dream of the Raiders playing in the same city as the Outlaws Renegades Bandits Black Knights.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Maybe Vegas would be desperate enough to take such a horrible deal if they didn't have a brand new untitled major sports team coming to town for sure and playing right where all tourists can easily get. One that has five times as many home games, which is the only thing that matters if you want to try to argue for bullshit like helping surrounding businesses.

As it is, bad timing.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The people in city government making the decision to build using public money are almost certainly seeing benefit in the form of prestige, free tickets after the fact (or invites to the owner's suite and team functions) so it's not surprising to me it keeps happening despite all the evidence it's not the best move for the rest of the city.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Holy gently caress.

I don't like public money for stadiums but I look forward to the Vegas Raiders.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

coupbrick posted:

So, that's like the worst possible outcomes for the public, isn't it?

God bless 'murica :911: :patriot:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

London, Toronto, and Mexico City seem like places the NFL will try to put a franchise at some point, but not just yet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

London are never getting a team. Ever.

The NFL love to talk about it as if there's a significant population here who even give a poo poo about the NFL. There isn't. Even small-market teams like the Bills or Jags' support would take a nosedive figures-wise here.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean the NFL won't do it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Would love to see people freaking out about God Save the Queen being sung before MNF. Which is being played at 2:30 AM local time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

If London ever gets a team the games should all be required to be night games on Saturday or Sunday (so they're actually in the afternoon). I have to start watching football at 8:30 AM when the Colts play the Jags and that's the night after I'll be at a wedding. Hair of the dog I guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Steve Deberg
Joe Montana
Steve Bono
Elvis Grbac
Alex Smith

checks out

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

Major League Baseball's Oakland Athletics have been looking at potentially building their own stadium on the waterfront in downtown Oakland near Jack London Square, so it is not known whether they would be involved in this project.

Yeah because I'm sure the Raiders would be interested in passing over a $1.9 billion stadium in Vegas to have an infield on their field again.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Wow. Just as good as Alex Smith. Real impressive.

That's supergenius Alex Smith, to be fair.

quote:

London's not getting a team because of timezones.

Mexico City will get a permanent team before London, for that reason. And it will probably be the Jags.

IIRC the league's plan is to have like 5 games in London a year starting in a few years. At that point having a team there isn't that much different. I mean there's already 3 games there. The biggest problem I see with having a team based there, outside of problems that exist with the current setup, is that they'd never be able to have a home game in US prime time.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 22, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Adun posted:

I was in London last year during one of the games and I worry that people there seem to view games as some fun yearly thing to get drunk and dress up and go to (saw people wearing Bears jerseys to a Jets/Dolphins game) but not really a sustainable thing

They're not yearly though. They have 3 a year already.

I agree that it's a bad idea though even though I think the NFL will still do it. I don't think anyone can actually say it would never catch on (never is a very long time) but I think it would require more lost money than it would be worth, especially because it's just not going to catch on until there's multiple teams in the UK or at least Europe, and that would dilute the league by a ridiculous amount until they managed to pour enough money into it to get youth leagues and university teams to be a thing. I think you're talking 50 years to start getting a return on your investment at the minimum as far as expansion to Europe and that's if things go great and the first team is a multiple super bowl winner or something and lots of other cities want to jump on board to finance stadiums for billionaires.

But the NFL is dumb, so

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 22, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I don't buy that 1 PM EST games are a problem for professional football players who often get up before dawn to do their first workouts. They're not goons sleeping until noon after an all nighter with Overwatch and McDonalds, except maybe Ryan Mathews.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Grittybeard posted:

Assuming this goes through where do the Raiders play while the stadium is being built? Sam Boyd (UNLV's stadium) doesn't seem like it would work even as a temporary NFL stadium.

Do they just play in front of a bunch of angry fans in Oakland?

Davis said they will play 2017 and 2018 in Oakland. Should be interesting. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-commit-to-vegas-offer-500-million-for-stadium-4-things-to-know/

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I hope they play the games on the roof of the mall at Fremont Street.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

How does that even help financially? When the kids go home at noon, do they turn the school into a bingo hall?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Seems weird that he has to wait that long seeing as everyone sees it coming and he'll still be playing in Oakland for two years anyhow, but...rules I guess.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Going to LA is dumb for the Chargers, they will always be the B team in LA. Hell, probably the C team with all the Raiders fans still there.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Nets moving to Brooklyn seemed dumb but here we are.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

FCKGW posted:

They should build the stadium on Catalina Island instead.

If they do that, the Buccaneers should be required to sail there on their ship via Panama when they visit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

It was moved because that's a three day weekend. MLK Day.

So why didn't they move it one day? Or did they not realize the 15th was a Sunday, either?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Benne posted:

Let's see, the last time a pro team moved and rebranded, they came up with a really lame and generic weather term as their nickname.

San Diego Lightning, book it.

Nah Winnipeg Jets were more recent

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

a new study bible! posted:

Seattle and the LA Chargers should swap divisions.

Isn't there some rule against two teams in the same city in the same division or something? So they won't want the Chargers/whoever and the Rams to be in the same division.

It would be pretty cool if they played two times a year though.

quote:

The afc west is exactly the same as it was in the 60's.

Not quite, I mean there wasn't a team in Vegas and the Chargers were only in LA for one of the years that the division included the Dallas Texans. And none of the teams played in a 25,000 seat soccer stadium

It's the same franchises but there are definitely some differences.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's still amazing how two-faced an owner can be, even on the same day. After that whole "San Diego will always be home" letter this morning:

quote:

"I'm looking forward, not backwards," he told ESPN in a brief phone conversation. "I spent half my life here. I leave behind a lot of friends and lot of great memories, but life goes on. There are always a lot of changes in life, and we know this is not going to be easy. But we made a decision, we're committed to it, and our family is 100 percent behind it. What's happened has happened."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Intruder posted:

lol if you think the Browns are going to be anything more than a smoldering pile of poo poo for at least two more seasons (probably forever)

The Browns won't be bad forever, but it does seem like that right now

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Intruder posted:

It's hard to believe the Browns were once one of the premier teams in the NFL, even if they didn't win a Superbowl

Think about how long the Browns have been just god awful... their franchise record didn't drop below .500 until late last season

It's basically just since they were an expansion team that they've been god awful, before that they had periods of badness but nothing out of the ordinary at all. Yeah they hadn't won a Super Bowl through the first 30 but a bunch of teams hadn't.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

fishing with the fam posted:

Anaheim is closer to LA than Santa Clara is to San Francisco. Metro area branding is dumb.

New York and/or New Jersey Jets/Giants

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

AsInHowe posted:

They will be outrageously expensive, then dumped for dirt cheap on StubHub.

A partnership made in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Intruder posted:

Yeah but that's almost two decades now

Two decades of being complete trash and they just now dropped below .500, that's how good they had been and it's hard to picture that if you're under like 40 or so

Yeah I think we were kind of talking past each other. I was agreeing, for the bulk of their history they were a good team, but the expansion Browns is mostly what most of us know. Modell should burn in hell not for taking a team that was going to win Super Bowls from Cleveland, but for sticking them with this mess instead.

• Locked thread