Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Apparently after seeing the backlash in San Diego over the Chargers moving to LA, the NFL is worried about riots at the Oakland Coliseum if the Raiders announce they're moving to Las Vegas and still have to play in the OCo for the next few years. Looks like if the Raiders move to Vegas they are going to try and cut and run, and not play in Oakland next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Isn't that stadium already ruins?

Burning it down would be doing both teams a favor but the league understandably doesn't want that airing on live TV or the audio being on radio

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

The Chargers' first public presentation in their new city didn't go over so well Saturday.

During their game with the Lakers, the Clippers showed the new Los Angeles Chargers logo on the video screen and the Staples Center crowd promptly booed.

After a few seconds, the screen cut to Chargers tight end Jeff Cumberland, who briefly waved but then was booed.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TBeats posted:

Well tbh it is pretty inconsistent to rail against the Chargers for moving but not really give the Raiders the same treatment, but I guess his mileage faux pas is more relevant than the point he was making.

One team's stadium had regular back ups of poo poo occurring and their city openly didn't care because it wasn't the team they liked complaining about the issue

The other team just had a rich owner who got told no to a solo LA move and threw a fit over it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

warcrimes posted:

It's not $500 million for the Raiders and you don't pay it all at once and $500 million is not going to build jack poo poo in the Bay Area

And even if it was $500 mil for the Raiders Mark Davis would be gone because that's how much he is worth

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A couple days or weeks is short, agreed

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rivers and Bosa will be on Kimmel Tuesday night talking about the move

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

fishing with the fam posted:

Is there a reason we don't see Toronto bandied about more often? That's quite a large market, and seems like a more natural fit than an expansion to London.

The last time an attempt was made you guys dissed it because it was Bon Jovi :smith:

I'm glad the Bills stayed to become more miserable

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I just realized the relocation announcement was made today

the anniversary of the Tuck Rule game

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ragnarok the Red posted:

If this is the case then why on earth did the owners even put in a clause allowing the Chargers to have first dibs to be Kroenke's tenants within a year? Why not just nebulously declare it was something they could consider down the road but they wanted time to see how much NFL would be embraced in LA THIS time and give SD more time to put something together?

Was it to placate him and they tempted fate with a "he couldn't possibly be this dumb..."

They genuinely thought it'd be embraced and had less than no qualms about having 2 teams in LA

Would have worked if the first one of them did anything other than immediately flop

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Seeing Spanos having to crawl back to San Diego would be amazing even though it won't ever happen

I'd beg Goodell to televise that first home game back, if only to see the stunning lack of crowd

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shiksa posted:

Like, how rich are the spanos family that they can do all of this and not wake up in a cold sweat every morning about how hosed they are

At a certain point I don't think it's entirely money-related

As Zurreco said, not only did they lose a chance at $300 mil, he had to pay $650 mil more in relocation fees

He didn't want to stay, he couldn't have made it any clearer, and I've felt he made his mind up on that since the SD vote results came back in on November. Dragging it out to the last week was just one last gently caress you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Holy lol at how fast this all fell apart

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

loving lol that of all three teams expected to move as of three years ago, the only one that won't was the one that wanted to most

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Get Bon Jovi on the phone

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LaCanfora saying it's time

NFL's agenda for upcoming spring owner's meeting has a vote on Raiders potential move to Las Vegas set for Monday

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If there was any doubt left:

"I think we will have a vote, and I think we will have a positive vote. I think we are in pretty good shape," Goodell said.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...move-las-vegas

More quotes from owners today:

Robert Kraft on possibility of Raiders to Vegas: "I think it's great."
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Monday is "going to be an exciting day for Vegas."
#Chargers owner Dean Spanos said #Raiders in Las Vegas would be a "great thing" and that he will vote for it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

May stay in Oakland through 2019 :lol: awkward

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/mickakers/status/846515047094374400

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

With even a second of hindsight, it's the most Davis Oakland Raiders thing I've ever seen to leave the area the moment they become good again

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

St Louis suing the league http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...83f89948d9.html

quote:

The city, the county and the Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority are suing the National Football League over the relocation of the Rams 15 months ago.

The 52-page suit filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court lists the National Football League and all 32 NFL clubs as defendants and seeks damages and restitution of profits.

quote:

The suit claims St. Louis has lost an estimated $1.85 million to $3.5 million a year in amusement and ticket tax revenue with the departure of the Rams. It says the city also has lost about $7.5 million in property tax and $1.4 million in sales tax revenue, plus "millions" in earning taxes.

Although it doesn't provide dollar amounts for St Louis County, the suit says the county has lost out on hotel tax, property tax, and sales tax revenue because of the departure of the Rams.

League has to see the lawsuit through to the end. Settling would be real stupid because San Diego and Oakland would immediately file their own suits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Vegas Raiders stadium won't be ready till June '20. Oakland lease runs out in 2 years, so they'll have to find another temporary home for the last season.

• Locked thread