Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Bip Roberts posted:

How do stadiums get that expensive. US Bank stadium is 1.0 billion. How do you get 270% more expensive than that for the same total product. I would guess the land price in Inglewood vs. Downtown Minneapolis don't make up the difference.

Higher land costs, higher minimum wage, more population density means a lot of logistical obstacles, etc. Still ridiculous, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Volkerball posted:

This is $190m brand new.

just make it a little boxier so you can fit the stands on there, give it a sick rear end paint job, and you're fuckin golden, what's the problem.

Every game is a home game!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Yes, but they didn't try to trademark "LA/Lost Angeles Superchargers." Now is our chance to get on that and force them to make a new fight song!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

warcrimes posted:

That's because the Raiders aren't moving to San Diego. It's just bargaining leverage to throw at the city of Oakland.

Except literally everyone can see through it. It's a stupid thing to let out, even if it's unofficial.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Are there no Qualcomm/BioTech/Defense industry deranged billionaires available to rescue the Chargers from Spanos and throw down some cash to rebuild in Mission Valley? Use Navy Seal teams to apply pressure to various parties as needed to get it done.

SDSU could partner with the Chargers organization to help rebuild a new Qualcomm, maybe throw in $50 or less. That also keeps the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, so I wonder if the NCAA would be interested in helping out rather than relocating one of the big bowls.

That being said, Spanos either needs to foot 60% of the bill on his own or he needs to sell the team to someone in the area who will.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Nail Rat posted:

Terrible advice, not having to drive to go literally anywhere owns

San Diego has a huge population and one of the worst public transit systems for a top 20 city. Everyone drives everywhere, which is why Qualcomm's parking lot is so huge and why it's so hard to get around in that part of town anywhere near game time.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Having had lived there for 10+ years, Chicago is probably the best city in the US. That being said, Seattle is a smaller, cheaper, slightly warmer little brother to Chicago with no income tax and I'm not complaining.

San Diego is the worst, but at least they have good Mexican food. They don't make carne asada fries in the PNW :(. Spanos could get a new Qualcomm funded of he put an Albertacos or Rigobertos that served Hess or Ballast Point beers in the concourse.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

If Chicago had San Diego's climate year-round it would no doubt be the most populous city in the US

It's actually super easy to get loving tired of sunny days if you ever grew up somewhere with actual seasons. Chicago in the fall is better than San Diego at any time of year.

Bip Roberts posted:

Seattle has really loving bad traffic and zero public transit. Good thing everyone there is a goddamn layabout or it'd suck getting anywhere.

Seattle has bad highway traffic, yeah, but that's because of the geometry of the city. Basically 90% of people heading south of Vancouver or north of Portland are getting crammed into 3 lanes of highway because there are so few ways across the cut and you can't expand the freeway anymore than they have already. If there's a game at the CLink, highway traffic doesn't change very much because so many people bus or train to the games.

It also has pretty decent public transit that is about to get a huge boost with the street car and light rail expansions coming online. We don't have a subway system because we never planned to get so big but if we did have one akin to Chicago's Metra Seattle would be a top 5 transit city in the US for sure. That being said, I don't know where you got the idea that transit is bad out here but you should probably feel bad about being so wrong.

In contrast, SD and LA have the worst traffic I've ever had to sit in and SD's public transit is virtually nonexistant. I used to have a 20 mile work commute in SD that regularly took an hour each way, and that's AFTER the 5/805 expansion at the golden triangle split. If the Chargers are playing TNF/MNF, you're guaranteed to get stuck in place if you even look at 805, 15, or 52. That all pours onto the 5 and doubles your commute. Even SNF games shut down an entire half of the county.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

mike- posted:

It's easy to get tired of sunny days if you are a retard.

Welp, I'm a retard. I escaped southern California to live in the rain and it's probably the best thing I could have done for myself.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Spoeank posted:

"I LOVE WEATHER" - people who don't work outside.

I would loving kill myself if I lived anywhere but a temperate climate.

I spend a fair amount of time working in the field and it's a lot more enjoyable to be out in the rain or snow once you learn to deal with it. Also, a lot of the crews that we contract to prefer working in the cold or in the rain because it's easier to get poo poo done with a second layer on than have to sweat with the minimum PPE required. Take from that what you will.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
What are the current odds for Raiders:
1) Getting a new arena in Oakland/San Jose?
2) Going to Vegas?
3) Going to San Antonio?
4) Going somewhere new, like Portland or Vancouver?

Glass of Milk posted:

Most places have humidity. gently caress those places.

I'd rather feel gross for two months out of the year than have nosebleeds for 6 months straight. It's why Jesus invented AC.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ammanas posted:

The stadium sucks but its not about to be condemned you're happily parroting Owner Bullshit

Let's not underplay the fact that the locker rooms flood with sewage whenever it rains a lot. O.Co isn't terrible but single fact is enough to warrant a new stadium or heavy renovations.

Meanwhile, Qualcomm is boring and cold and you get bad cell service but it's a perfectly serviceable stadium as is.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
You know how SD Charger fans would not travel to LA for games? SD Raider fans would make that drive in a heartbeat.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ross Angeles posted:

Also voters will actually vote to keep Comic Con, so if the stadium is part of that package, it has a higher chance of passing

Are you saying the Comicon committee is hitching their wagon to Spanos? Sounds like a terrible idea for all involved.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Ross Angeles posted:

Other way around. Spanos is hitching his wagon to Comiccon

Right, but Comicon can very easily tell him to gently caress off. They're gonna get whatever they want at this point, including an expansion to the convention center, so why the hell would they let Spanos get anywhere near them, especially with a public vote? If anything, they want less Chargers presence downtown so that they don't have to share their already good thing™ and will push back against it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chinatown posted:

I cannot believe Comic-Con has entered into the god drat NFL stadium conversation.

I lust for death.

Comicon dominates downtown SD, so of course it was bound to come up.

Even when they built PetCo, Comicon quickly assimilated it and uses it for fun stuff during the event and everyone just kinda accepted it as an inevitable feature of being downtown. HOWEVER, PetCo is far enough away that the two can be treated as independent, and there's no way that the Padres are gonna compete with one of the biggest draws to the downtown area. Aside from Padres games and Comicon, people don't really go to downtown SD unless they wanna drink or go look at whales, and both activities are pretty isolated from the rest of the city.

That being said, when the Chargers talk about building a new arena anywhere near an already overutilized part of town, there are going to be direct conflicts that Spanos can't win. The convention center is surrounded by very expensive and very lucrative high rises that are definitely not for sale. The only thing remaining is the docks/train yard SE of the convention center that are partially federally owned and would probably be earmarked for a convention center expansion rather than a new stadium. Downtown is not a viable option.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Rick posted:

For what it's worth there's like a yearly push by Anaheim and/or Los Angeles to steal Comic-Con that is probably inevitable unless Comic Con finds a way to grow or Hollywood starts to care about it less.

SD has already said that they would gladly expand the CC in order to keep Comicon.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

v2vian man posted:

people here actually think public money for stadiums is a good idea. wow

Public money shouldn't be involved in stadium deals but I'm ok with developers getting lower than standard loans from the municipality or maybe getting an easier EIS than others would.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
That proposal would mean that Mission Brewing would have to relocate out of the old Wonderbread factory? I don't know anyone in SD who would rather have the Chargers than that brewery.

gently caress the Chargers even more, now.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Sounds like you haven't been to dog night.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Yoshifan823 posted:

As someone who has basically never stepped foot out of the convention center/Gaslight area, what's the location on this? I know they're building an expansion to the current convention center, is this on the other side of that, or a whole different area, or what?

*Gaslamp. The proposed location is pretty much right where you've been, though: just a few blocks east of the Convention Center on the other side of PetCo.

Bip Roberts posted:

So the Mission Brewery building is on the National Register of Historic Places, how does that get worked around?

They took over the Wonderbread building with an agreement that they wouldn't change anything about the structure of the building. I'm guessing the new stadium would propose to incorporate the Wonderbread building like PetCo worked Western Metal Supply Co into theirs, although the renderings don't look very amicable for the former.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Spoeank posted:

And Mission Brewery isn't in the top half of good breweries in the state so it all works out.

I dunno, there's a lot of lovely breweries in CA, especially around SD.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

sam bradford lmao posted:

T-Rich isn't a Raider anymore :ssh:

You can still make that bet from the seats, obviously. They'll probably make it so you can bet on any event that isn't currently happening in the new Thunderdome, just in case some rear end in a top hat puts up $500 on 1:10000 odds against someone running on the field and tackling Carr just to see if his friend will do it.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Flikken posted:

Bah, the only reason to have a different license plate is if you want to put something on there so that you won't get a ticket. Like my GWOT plates.

I almost got one when I moved up to Seattle because it's a win-win situation: I get a stupid license plate and the city gets a little more money to spend on important stuff. Then I remembered that DAG_YO was only going to get attention from people who wanted an explanation or, worse, people who actually got the reference and wanted to talk about it. Also, ZURRECO fits great but I don't want to accidentally cut someone off and then have them find all of my lovely SA posts when they stalk me later on.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Both are correct.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
I can't tell if Davis is trying to burn bridges with Oakland or if he's just giving Vegas the "no baby, it ain't like that" routine.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

kiimo posted:

San Diego goons who wants to hijack this thread and tell me the best place to eat Mexican food in gaslamp or coronado.

If it's still there, Las Hadas in Gaslamp is Hawaiian Mexican fusion (or something like that). They also make killer sangaritas during hh.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Nevada, and Vegas especially, are polling in strong opposition against using public funds for a new stadium in Vegas. This might be because of the $500m minimum that Davis has requested, but it might also be that Adelson can use his own goddamn money to build the new stadium.

Odds on Vegas voting to use public fubds without allowing the public to get involved à la Cobb county?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Because Adelson dropping half a billion on Trump would've been bad enough without him turning around and telling everyone that he can't afford to build an unecessary stadium without dipping into their tax money.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
He'll own the stadium probably. Who knows. Either way, he is involved in the build process and any associated wooing.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
They should make a huge stained glass thing so as the sun sets the away team's endzone looks like it's on fire post-raid.

Or whatever. Generic glass is a waste in Vegas because you're either looking at boring wasteland or competing advertisements.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
San Diego ready has a building that looks like that. Thankfully, Mission Brewery Plaza is on the opposite side of downtown and most locals are too stupid to know that it even exists.

I'd be down with a mission style facade downtown purely because it means Mission Brewing in the Wonderbread building would fit right in.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chinatown posted:

petco is perfect as it is thank you very much

the del mar racetrack looks like that rendering very much though

Just move the Chargers to Del Mar. Plenty of parking and seating as is, plus no one wants to be up close at a Chargers game either way.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

bawfuls posted:

makes perfect sense
everyone knows north county traffic is only bad 8 days a year when the Chargers play

Del Mar isn't really north county (but I'm fine with you telling Del Martians that it is).

Also, people can take 5 or 101 or RSF to get to Del Mar.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I suppose if that's the hard and fast rule, sure. As someone who used to live in La Jolla, it feels weird to think that Torrey Pines is considered NC and that I was that close to being lumped in with San Marcos and Vista.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Neil Armbong posted:

What's wrong with Vista? That's where I was born and my extended family is. Legit curious what views of it are, since I really only spent time there as a kid.

I went to high school in Vista and moved to La Jolla as soon as I could for undergrad. Vista and the surrounding area is a boring shithole, especially if you've lived almost anywhere else. I moved there directly from Chicago in the middle of the winter and hated it from the getgo.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
For reference, Petco has (had?) a deal with a soda, cookie, pretzel, hot dog, and peanuts for $10 ($15 to sub a domestic in place of soda). This was back when the Padres were slightly relevant, too, so it wasn't explicitly a last ditch effort to put butts in seats.

Flikken posted:

Long island iced tees own. When you are 21 and learning about going to bars.

Or when you're looking for a big stiff drink and you're not in the mood for another traditional double tall highball.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Volkerball posted:

If mark had enough shitloads of money he'd build in Oakland.

Yeah but Mark is only worth $950m so he isn't a billionaire, please pity him.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Am I allowed to say mice neltdown at chiche

Not with that av, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
It still seems insane that the Nevada Game Board Control is (allegedly) blocking all non-slots gambling from the new arena. Who goes to Vegas with the intention of not gambling, drinking, or seeing naked women?

• Locked thread