Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

On the other hand, someone actually did mix Harry Potter and a d20 character https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20

Much better at what HPMOR is trying to do (find the rules of the universe, break them).

I'm excited to be following this thread, I stopped reading after the troll, so I wanna see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Which probably influenced the E6 house rules :D http://goo.gl/mmrr8W

Loel fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 6, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pierson posted:

Even the D&D-meets-HP story got boring after a few chapters when the joke wore thin, I can't imagine reading this for the entire ludicrous wordcount. Godspeed.

Honestly, the main reason I keep reading it is the cop subplot. Its a hella lot more interesting than munchkining 3.5

Tiggum posted:

I think that is actually one of its biggest problems, that Yudkowsky clearly had no idea where he was going with the plot and so it just sort of rambles on and on, dropping plot threads as he gets bored with them and never resolving anything, just moving on to the next thing.

Supposedly, he had the troll scene planned out three years in advance. I remember him talking about it afterwards, how he had this scene in his head for years, and how it took that long to get there.

Course, that was the scene that made me stop reading. So.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Avalerion posted:

Those run on magic though, I don't think wizards actually understand how muggle cars work, it's implied they are just as clueless about guns. Wizards have been shown to be ignorant about muggles to a ridiculously unbelievable degree in the books too.

Like, their muggle expert (Mr Weasley) is fascinated by plugs, and doesnt understand electricity. They have to mention in their reporting that a 'gun' is a kind of 'muggle wand they use to kill each other'.

A racist family like the Malfoys not knowing about rockets seems credible in light of that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Weird, its like reading my mentality when I was 12. 'I'm smarter then you and I know it, but if it takes effort I don't want to show it.'

I can't find the article, but there is a school of thought in which telling kids they are smart actually does harm, as opposed to saying they worked hard. If they find something hard, they think its cuz they aren't smart (which is the source of their validation), so they avoid it. If they are told they succeed through work, they think they just need to work harder to understand the material.

He seems... oddly underdeveloped in a lot of ways.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Its been a few years since I actually sat down and read these, but good lord Eliezarry is a monster.

He's like this little bully-tyrant running around with no understanding or appreciation for other people.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Like, after the war I did slow escalation of getting used to my trigger (crowds and whatever).

Just throwing me in the mall on xmas is a terrible idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

petrol blue posted:

I reckon you could do an actually-pretty-fun (for fanfic) rewrite of this if everything is the same up to this point, then in the first class it turns out Harry's a squib (magic-impotence), and he and Hagrid have to use their combined cunning and might to overthrow the mage-ubermensch. Bonus points if they unite the house elves, and free the goblins from their capitalist chains. :ussr:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9655837/1/Harry-Potter-Becomes-A-Communist

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

To be a prodigy, you just have to read and think (like MIRI). You dont need to produce any results :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arcturas posted:

Things Eliezarry has done:

Emotionally manipulate adults by threatening bad behavior
Bully vulnerable children
Play practical jokes on other kids to feel superior to them
"Teach" other kids by berating them
Think he's smarter than he is
Read lots of books that tell him he's smart
Brag constantly

I'm sure all of that makes him super unique...

Was going to say 'I bet he'd love Enders Game' and then I remembered that whole drat arc.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JosephWongKS posted:

My guess is that Eliezarry has a piece of Voldemort’s soul in him (consistent with canon) and Voldemort’s soul is responsible for his sudden bursts of wrath (departure from canon), and that Eliezarry will progressively become more and more of a Death Eater as time goes on and Voldemort’s soul gains more and more control of Eliezarry. This will be the “big plot twist” of the story.

There's about ten thousand Dark!Harry fanfics that do it better, too. Quite a number of the ones I've read use that method.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xander77 posted:

Huh. What's the "Culture is a Cathedral" business all about? My first association is The Doomed City speech, (which I took to heart quite a bit at the age of twelve) but I rather doubt "Rationalist" experience with cultural analysis, even couched in sci-fi signifiers, is quite so extensive.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Neoreactionary_movement Helpful link

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Iron Rose posted:

Also props to whoever recommended the arithmancer. It's actually not terrible!

Thirding Arithmancer, Hermione is breaking out matrices and vectors to write her own spells.

Edit: Bwhahaha, this is hilarious. In HPMOR, Harry spends 2 chapters researching variant jinxes, and gives up. And then when he does invent a variant spell, he refuses to tell anyone how it works.

Hermione in Arithmancer is working on spells and science literally every chapter, and when she discovers something she publishes in a journal. Methinks this Hermione is a bit better at science.

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 31, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Night10194 posted:

I think one reason so many of these singulitarian booster types either never went to college or failed at science in college is because of this. I dropped out of Biochemistry to study history, myself, because once I got in enough I A: Discovered I absolutely can't do Calc 3 and have a hell of a time with Organic Chemistry and B: Even if I could've, I wasn't enjoying that kind of work enough to want to do the sheer amount of grunt work on it that science requires. Like, science is both intellectually difficult, but it requires a lot of passion because there's a hell of a lot of hard, repetitive work involved (just like any form of research) and if you don't enjoy it or just instantly want results you're going to be miserable. I enjoy history and religious studies enough to be happy reading through hundreds of pages of old philosophy or combing religious texts for citations and textual support, but wouldn't have felt the same about biochem and lab work. Guys like Yud, I feel, are essentially writing about how disappointed they are that science doesn't work like it does in science fiction and Hollywood. "Why can't I be the supreme master of the mind who is so smart he can manipulate everyone and instantly reasons his way through the plot?" and "Science should be all about being smart enough and enabling all my dreams, not all this boring hard work and study."

As I recall, his other short story about the Bayesian Conspiracy is angry at 'the old methods of science' that took 30 years to get it right, as opposed to just thinking the right thing early on. Its very 'early Greek philosophy' imho.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

chessmaster13 posted:

It was enjoyable nonetheless. It's similar to TED talks. Makes you feel smarter rather then making you smarter. And this is totally okay for a work of fiction.

But.. isn't that contrary to the idea of Less Wrong? :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

He has this whole 'timeless physics' thing going on too. http://lesswrong.com/lw/qr/timeless_causality/

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk I find this to be a pretty good deconstruction of the basilisk.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, admittedly, trying to get a machine to essentially do that by starting from scratch and learning on its own is their goal. To me that sounds like a great way for an AI to develop all sorts of unsound theories using only itself.

I mean, if you just feed it data, it seems to do okay. http://www.wired.com/2009/04/newtonai/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-06/05/computer-develops-scientific-theory-independently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

divabot posted:

If you're into HP fic and you want a Harrymort who sucks less, there's a nice crackfic called Seventh Horcrux (that's the index page) which is a moment's amusement.

quote:

Draco Malfoy wandered outside of the DADA classroom, a thoughtful and solitary figure. As he passed a dusty side-corridor, no doubt created during the castle’s recent shuffling, I muttered, “Accio Malfoy.”

Malfoy’s gasp mingled with a more distant yelp as he stumbled towards us. With a nervous glance around the seemingly empty corridor, Malfoy said, “P-Potter?”

I whipped off the cloak, revealing Hermione and me. Striding towards him, I said, “What gave me away? The strength of my spell-casting? The brilliance of my plan? The subtle scent of –“

“You were invisible,” he said.

I paused, not at all appreciating Hermione’s giggles. “Right, yes, I suppose that makes sense.”

Okay, yeah, this might be worth checking out.

edit: 10/10, this is hilarious

Loel fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 5, 2016