Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

atomicruckus (Charleston) is a non-goon. @MJ_Baumann

He also hasn't logged in since Friday. Maybe isn't aware the season started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So long, Haywood :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSz16ngdsG0

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Lol how was there so little interest in Glenallen Brinkley that jeff got him at ask?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

This poo poo happens every year and this is why Jeff will always be in contention.

A guy like Liverman signing right away doesn't surprise me much but I thought for sure Brinkley would be one of the hotter commodities.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Sure, nobody go after Harold Evert, either.

I guess nobody is interested in sigining good FAs this season?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

Come one come all and claim Vinny

Off waivers?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gardenald posted:

IIRC we went with a minimum .250 winning percentage but I don't recall what the penalty was. Forfeiture of your first round pick, maybe?

That's just WIS' own fair play guidelines. No less than a .250 pythag after...80 games I think?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Ooh, ooh, did I expose anybody useful?

e: wait I am completely not seeing Forbes in the player pool despite him clearly not being on davewillie's 40 man.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 1, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

who will be daring enough to roll the dice on The Aramis Hernandez Experience

A Cautionary Tale

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Only thing I can figure is that there are more than 500 players eligible for Rule V and somehow some of them don't get populated for some people.

I was confused at the comment that davewillie left multiple useful players exposed because I only saw one.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Donovan is absolutely down-ballot Hall-worthy

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

On a cursory pass, I have Cordero, Ramirez and Toombs for HoF. Who should fill out the ballot?

I'm going with:

Alan High (let's loving put him in already drat it)
Justin Cosby
Ken Toombs
George Stearns
Davey Krause (retired top five all-time ERA and is probably like 7th or 8th all-time now)

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

would have voted for junior andujar but it was vetoed

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I mean, it's right there

quote:

Haywood Cameron

tatankatonk posted:

Stop trading your good players to AV and nasboat jesus christ

I only ever had two of those players and one I almost immediately traded.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat has done way more in-season trading than you.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I was actually feeling a tad tired of my team heading into the offseason but thankfully overturning a quarter of my roster sure helps rekindles interest

Your season 31 Norfolk Cleveland Implosion Attack on Memory Hustlers:

Lineup:
2: Ezdra Suarez/"Better Call" Saul Morlan: One guy kinda hits dingers. One guy kinda runs. One plays against lefties. One plays against righties. Both call pitches well.
3: Carlos Eusebio: I've made an effort to trade him for like the last five seasons. That's probably a bad idea with his career .284/.345/.578 playoff line. He hits dingers and steals at a ridiculously high clip.
4: Eduardo "Edward White" Blanco: I...guess I'm playing him at 2B. I don't have a preferred 2B choice on the roster. Hits switch and has 88 baserunning, he's super dreamy.
5: Carlos Torres: Kind of uninteresting but good. Plus defense, nothing standout offensively, fits my team well with above average speed/baserunning.
6: Furio Martin: Good riddance Stu Roosevelt. He hit switch, he has good speed/baserunning, ...this seems familiar. His bat would be solid at 3B and he provides good SS defense, hard not to like him.
7: Rick Delcarmen: One of my longest tenured players. Gold Glove LF defense, steals bases, high OBP. He's honestly kinda boring but he's super good.
8: Melky Mareina: The Melkman has started to downswing with range and speed declining on roll. For now he's still a GG-caliber CF who steals 70+ bags with an acceptable OPS.
9: Omar Valdes: The Gamble, Part 1. Tex Watson was about as consistent as consistent gets. Valdes blew up last season. He's out of options so he starts right away. Hopefully he can still grow.

Bench:
Rubby Benavente: Partly why I tried to trade Eusebio this offseason. Will timeshare with Carlos but he's good enough to start. His speed makes me sad but he's at least a capable runner.
PT Ontiveros: aka Poor Man's Bo Hall. Deserves to be on a team where he could start vs righties, feel free to give him a good home.
Peter Newman: aka Rick Delcarmen. Seriously, the two are very similar but just different enough that you can explain away their severe performance difference. Plus Newman is strictly a 1B.
Shane Swift: He can't hit, he can run, he plays a capable 2B and CF. He's a bench player alright!

Starting Pitchers:
Al Duchscherer: ererrerrerererr. The rock. His ERA has always disappointed a bit given his peripherals. More a #2 than an ace but he throws a ton of innings without getting hurt so I value him as much as one.
Erubiel Sojo: The Gamble, Part 2. I traded Uncrowned MVP Haywood Cameron for a guy who can only throw 160-170 innings and has had two bad ML seasons. But I love his profile. So much. Here's hoping my starting pitcher magic (see: Bolick, Roosvelt) rubs off on him.
Julian "The No-Hitter" Melendez: Back in the rotation to start the season since I couldn't find a trade I wanted to make for him. We'll see if he starts to age hard this season. Love those pitches.
Armando Martinez: Basically a left-handed Roosevelt Bolick. And Bolick was #2 on my franchise career ERA list before he blew last season, so that's encouraging. Really though he's a back-end innings eater.

Startpen:
JT Matthews and Geoff Crosby: A mix of performance, injuries and dur/stam combos has both of these guys relegated to working as swingmen. I basically slot them in to the rotation based on the handedness weaknesses of any given opponent.

Bullpen:
SUA: Derrick Graves: gently caress YOU DERRICK GRAVES
SUA: Osvaldo Espinosa: High control lefty to compliment Graves as the high control righty. Nothing to see here.
SUA/B: Jarrett Melfi: low splits belie actual good performance. Control + Pitches goes a long way. He's usually set for SUA but my trust hasn't quite solidified in him and he kind of goes back and forth.
SUB: Tom Jakubauskas: He has lots of cool ratings but 55 control. That's pretty much all you need to know.
SUB: Carmen Tomlinson: Scrapheap signing. Has had some decent seasons, really don't need him to do much but eat low-leverage innings.

I actually only have 24 ML spots filled, not sure who will fill the last spot.

Not sure this team is better than last season but it's much more interesting to me and that's all that really matters.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I have literally never traded for a player more than once. I have only ever even traded any player more than once on two occasions (Derrek Shaw, Humberto Julio).

I have also only ever acquired three players in a trade eight times, a number I'm pretty sure nasboat has eclipsed in one season.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Happy New Season everybody!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Also, I picked up the Nigel Sung Experience on the cheap to give him a shot since I had an open roster spot, and I think I may have figured out why he has never really succeeded:

Sparky fuckin' Sims.

I've got Sung set for 10/15 with a 5 call setting, so in theory he should basically never exceed his MPC and if he gets into any trouble he's not going to get overextended and be pitching at like -42% stamina.

...in theory.

First appearance he throws 21 pitches across 1.2 innings of work. At 10/15 and 5 he shouldn't ever be throwing 1.2 innings of work unless he retires every batter on 3 or fewer pitches. Ugh.

Second appearance he blows a save when he allows a guy to reach second and, presumably, would have been at his TPC (I would kill for batter-by-batter pitch counts, jeeze), yet Sparky didn't pull him. Next batter drives in the game tying run.

Keep up the good work, Sparky.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Chip Steele!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Atheistdeals.com posted:

RIP Alfonso Baerga, you were solid sometimes. :(

That's quite the injury for a guy with 94 health

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Nigel Sung records a perfect two inning save on 13 pitches??

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

welp I should've traded Al Sanchez

I tried!

Meanwhile, death to all Furios

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

:stare:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress you forver, HBD

100 god drat loving health

One hundred

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I've kind of wanted to blow this thing up for a few seasons now and I'm even more tempted to now

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I've been rolling with 7 SPs for multiple seasons now, doesn't mean poo poo for injuries

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm just pissed all-around at WIS right now. I just won the WS in Mordecai a couple of days ago and instead of receiving the 5,250 reward points I should have received, I instead got a $24.95 HBD credit. I submitted a ticket and they replied that a transferred team or a team that was purchased with rewards points will receive credits instead of rewards points.

Okay, whatever, I just would have used the rewards points for more HBD more than likely, except that $24.95 does not equate to 5,250 points. The latter gets you a season+ of HBD for instance. But on top of that, I got $25.00 for being the WS runner-up in Dimaggio and Zimmer. Because I used rewards points to purchase my Mordecai team I am actually receiving less in prizes than teams that lost the WS.

I eagerly await them responding to my ticket reply by saying that's just how it works.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

any fake player should be happy to play for such a well-run organization as mine

I think you just called art's feeder organization well-run

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Tom Jakubauskas has given up 10% of my team's runs in 2% of its innings.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So this is a thing:

quote:

It's designed that way - rewards from a season that was received via reward points cannot be for more than the initial reward. Therefore a HBD season from the rewards center cannot award more than a single season's worth. You still receive enough to cover a full season though.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Can someone remind me whether it's better to stick low-range/glove guys at 1B or RF and what the reasoning is?

How low are we talking here/what is his arm?

tatankatonk posted:

I have a starting pitcher with 63 stamina/27 durability. he can reliably go into the low to mid 90s in pitch count every game, but it also leaves him with a 0(25) or a 1(27) rest rating or something close to that. He can usually recover to 100% rest by the time it's his turn again, but is that going to mess him up in the long term?

Do you mean health/decline implications or just performance? If the former, there's really only anecdotal evidence that overwork can lead to problems. The latter, there is a level of rest above 100%, so you should typically try to let a pitcher wait a day after he hits 100% before his next start, as with JT Matthews below:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

e: sometimes I wonder if they've tweaked the game since we started with that idea, because I just looked at Zack Padden from my Regular Joes team, and he's had a number of minus plays in RF in addition to roughly a .950 FPCT. However, I won two WS with him playing RF so it didn't hurt me that much.

Padden has done better than Eugene Scott did when MBU was playing him in RF gratuitously (6 errors and 23 - plays in season 22, though he did have 8 OF assists) so I would doubt any major negative change has been made.

And yeah, it would generally take a Eugene Scott-type bat at the minimum for me to justify playing a guy like that in the field, personally. Of course I just found out that a team in another world won 97 games with this guy in LF, this guy in freakin' center field and a platoon of this and this in right, so my entire world view has been shattered.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This season, playing the role of Derrick Graves will be Tom Jakubauskas.

Jesus Christ.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Furio Martin has already hit the 15 day DL for the second time this season. I suppose my absurd injury luck in this world is finally catching up to me.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Steve's Weenie doing everything he can to prove gyro wrong

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

No high health pitcher is safe this season

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

God drat, the PM1 has already simmed.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

No high health pitcher is safe this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Not loving this

Not really sure what you're getting at here, AL tanks a little harder and wins a little harder?

• Locked thread