Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

RIP. Technology quote man Nimoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

oh boy, it's this thread again.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

i cant wait for the next Civ to use Penrose tiling

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

It's actually kind of impressive how every single major change from Civ4 to Civ5 was a step backwards.

I like hexes and I think the auto-retreat on battles is smart function (stops you from instantly losing a whole unit on a bad dice roll).

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

It screwed up a few things that worked really well in older Civ games like city radius and didn't add much in return.

Yeah the fat cross is a lot better than how it's done now, since three tiers of hexes being under a cities control is absurd. Two tiers isn't so bad (18 workable tiles compared to the fat cross which has 21), so I'm not sure why they made it have 37 tiles.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Oh, I like hte way borders expand in Civ5, better than how it happened in Civ4.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

I wish his EKG would say the same :(

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Civ is a game where every version takes one step forward somewhere and one step backwards somewhere else.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth - Put out my hand and touched the Face of God."

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Larry Parrish posted:

Civ is a game where every version takes one step forward somewhere and one step backwards somewhere else.

Did Civ 3 have anything better than in Civ 4?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth - Put out my hand and touched the Face of God."

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

Armies maybe?

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

leaders change clothes based on the time period

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

you could design a cool palace for your guy

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

Armies maybe?

nah those were really poorly implemented

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

liquid courage posted:

oh boy, it's this thread again.

This thread is now about respecting fallen gamer Leonard Nimoy

Really all threads today are though so whether you are hot for hexes or get sexy for squares show some goddamn respect

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm torn I wanna play some civ but I can't let go of hexes... But civ 5 is just so bland. Single player at least

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Larry Parrish posted:

isn't freeciv something like the aggregator of good civ ideas?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best tech quote in CivIV was the one where Napoleon called ironclad ships retarded.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
You would make a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it sounds kind of cray when you put it like that, but it really works

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

one weird trick to sail the seas, napoleon hates it!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

It screwed up a few things that worked really well in older Civ games like city radius and didn't add much in return.

im not terribly good at civs, why do hexes screw up city radii. wouldnt they make them better if anything

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I laughed.

01011001 posted:

im not terribly good at civs, why do hexes screw up city radii. wouldnt they make them better if anything
They don't. People are just being whiners. Hexes make it work more like a circle.

Gaining hexes 1 at a time was kind of weird though. Especially since you could make a snake of claimed territory. But that's not a problem inherent to hexes.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
civ5 sucks cuz if you have like some oil in a tundra with like a deer also u cant just put a lil city there and be good with it being 2 pop the whole game cuz of global happiness. the game assumes you want to keep growing all ur cities

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
also i think freeciv is like civ2

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

01011001 posted:

It doesn't inherently ruin it but there are some weird things IE 2 tiers of hexes only give 18 workable tiles whereas the previous Civ fat cross gave 21 tiles. Secondly Civ5 uses 3 tiers of hexes wihch is ridiculous and gives like 37 workable tiles that'll never get used because your cities will never grow that large. Giving 3 tiers worth of hexes is also bad because it really encourages Infinite City Sprawl since 1 city will never be able to work all 37 tiles, so you can cram in 6 cities really close around one main one and be able to work all those tiles easily without any border expansion (note that Civ5 favors tall expansion over wide at this point in its balancing, so its not like this design decision makes a difference but in a vacuum its not very good + its why wide expansion was so much more powerful than tall in almost all of civ5's history)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

KyloWinter posted:

civ5 sucks cuz if you have like some oil in a tundra with like a deer also u cant just put a lil city there and be good with it being 2 pop the whole game cuz of global happiness. the game assumes you want to keep growing all ur cities

This is the biggest thing I don't like about Civ5. Its a 4X game where 1 of the Xs (eXpansion) is insanely bad and settling 3-5 cities is always optimal and the endgame you get these massive massive swaths of unsettled territory. I'd rather infinite city sprawl be the one true strategy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Presses f to pay respects :f5h: :downsbravo:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
F

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr.Fahrenheit posted:

leaders change clothes based on the time period

that's the answer, because i really miss that. like ancient era lincoln was hobo lincoln and stuff. that was cool, they should bring it back for civ 6.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
oh my god theres gonna be a civ 6

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbITxO4RmO0

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I never played any of the Civ games. But in Alpha Centauri I always thought that stack on stack combat essentially represented meatgrinder battles of attrition like Verdun and the north face of Kursk, and that if you engaged in them you basically already hosed up. It essentially means that the enemy discovered your plans, massed and mobilized accordingly. The best solution is to just attack somewhere else. Sea transports and building your own roads in enemy territory are the way to do it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

oh my god theres gonna be a civ 6

still not as terrifying an idea as http://www.civilizationonline.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soral
May 30, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

that's the answer, because i really miss that. like ancient era lincoln was hobo lincoln and stuff. that was cool, they should bring it back for civ 6.

they brought it back for beyond earth but its super low key and minor. also its beyond earth lol

• Locked thread