Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Mine did the same thing right after I got it all set up. After restarting it's been totally fine.

Also, is there any list of "must-have" watch apps? I'm all new to this and I really didn't follow it much so it's been really fun fiddling with all of the settings and stuff.

Dark Sky is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I'm an advocate for Breathe and feel like one of the main uses for it is during work hours, when taking a breath is usually really positive and healthy.

Unfortunately for Apple, few people seem to be into it, but it really does help.

Working in a crazy retail environment, I'm a fan. It's still hard to remember to use it, but it's def very good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think it'd be fairly easy for me to get $150 for my S0, so I think I may splurge on an S2 once I get $250 in expendable funds.

Maybe.

It would be worth it for the processor alone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, the next big thing will probably multi-day battery life. I'd say always-on display, but thinking about it seems like having your wrist always lit up would be obnoxious even with lowered brightness.

Maybe a camera for (lovely) facetime calls because, c'mon, we gotta go full Dick Tracy.

always on display is not as nice as it sounds. I had a pebble, I would be talking to people and whatever message I get shows up on the watch. Nice thing about the Apple Watch is that it only shows when I am looking at it. Personally I think that's fine. Any time I glance at it the screen immediately lights up anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

Anyone have one of the keychains that has tracking so you can use your watch to ping it for a sound? Similar to find my watch, I guess, except for your keys. I've seen a few products but wondering what people thought of them.

I have tile because I got a good discount off of them. I've used it twice, but I guess I don't lose things easily. You still have to be in Bluetooth range is the main caveat.

Compare tile and trackr (tile has a Watch app, not sure about trackr).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rage-saq posted:

I've pimped this one a few times and I still love mine that I've had for about a year so I'm going to do it again.

Oittm Charging Stand with USB hub

Nightstand mode, check
Easy as possible to dock your watch, check
High Amp USB to charge your iPhone or iPad, check
Small and inexpensive, check

There are also small things that make it awesome like a little blue LED inside the case that is barely able to shine through the plastic lid and can only be seen in total darkness, allowing you to see where your dock is even if the lights are off.
My only complaint is that the plastic lid is, and the entire unit in general, are incredibly light so its easy to slide around and the lid to get slightly ajar if you don't ziptie your charging cable together.

I just got this one and will second it. Only downside is you def have to tie your charging cable or it'll keep raising up the top part.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

How does the oittm charge? Is the Apple Charger thing just loose on top or is it stabilized to the oittm somehow?

It has a holder you put the end of the charger in. Then you just place Apple Watch horizontal in front of it. Works pretty well. And yes, it is a pretty small sized dock for what it is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Just checking... Apple Watches (even the new S2) take a fucklong time to boot up, yeah?

Just making sure mines not wonky. Talking Apple logo for 2 min, give or take...

Yes ny S2 takes forever to turn on if it's completely off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Bluetooth range for an iPhone 6S to Watch S2 is really, really good. I left my watch in my 3rd floor hotel room, went down to the pool on the 1st floor, got messages the whole time. Obviously a little bit of mileage will vary, but I didn't expect it to cut through near that much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheezle posted:

Yeah, next time bring up control centre on the watch. If you see a little cloud icon it means it's using wifi, not bluetooth.

Yup, I was connected to hotel wifi so that makes way more sense. My bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Just to note, that's still cool as hell. You can head down to the pool and do your thing without having to monitor your phone. Just hit a swim with no attachments and still get updates from your family/significant other if needed.

I will be first in line to buy a cell Apple Watch, so I def agree that this is a great feature. The downside is you are reliant on good wifi (the hotel wifi here is excellent actually, which is why it worked everywhere).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Yeah but I went for a walk with just my watch.

That'll learn me.

Yeah, as nice as it is to walk around with just the watch and no phone, the watch is much faster but it still definitely cannot replace a phone. For better or worse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Virtue posted:

Finally convinced myself that I "need" an apple watch for fitness tracking, go into a store and everything is out of stock. Guess I have 3 weeks to bounce between the sport and stainless steel.

Did you try them on? Beyond price, I found the stainless steel one to be heavier on my wrist, which I didn't like. And if you're main thing is fitness, that can be a factor.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

So suddenly my watch's battery has gone to poo poo. Eight hours and under 50%? Previously I could go over 24 hours and be over 50%.

What the gently caress is eating my battery

Reboot watch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Honestly, battery life on mine is so good, I don't even think to look at it ever.

I just used Pokémon Go for a 10 hour shift at work constantly running on my Apple Watch and I still ended the day at 30%. Battery life is extremely good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have a third party Milanese that I just wear occasionally and like it. The main thing to get used to though, is that because the magnet is decently strong, you'll suddenly attach to stuff you lean to. The one counter at work is apparently metal, so every time I lean on it when wearing the band, I suddenly jerk for a second because my drat watch band is trying to attach to the counter.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

When it comes time to replace my watch I think I'll spring for the more expensive version with the tougher glass. I've had mine for, what, half a year now and I've already got scuffs on the edges of the glass. Not scratched to the point where I want to actively do something about it, but if I can avoid them then all the better. Most of mine are just bumping against walls when I walk by tight spaces, etc. I'd classify it as daily wear and tear. I can probably buff them out somehow but knowing me I'd just end up with a bigger mess.

This is the same in my experience, but the more expensive Apple Watch is heavier,which was my biggest reason not to get it. I'm sure I would get used to the weight, but I like the sport more for that reason.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

I can select a single city, our capitol.

Where do you live?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

That's how it works with the android watches but I'm crossing my fingers Apple figured away around all that.

I'd be shocked if carriers let it go for free, they're desperate for new revenue.

That being said if anyone could do it it's apple.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I am definitely not holding my breath but I'll remain hopeful that they can swing it.

I'm honestly not sure what it's worth to me but I wouldn't spend more then $10 a month to add it on.

They're almost always $5 a month for a watch.

Cultural Marxist posted:

I'm looking forward to the price cuts on Series 1 and 2 watches.

Interested in buying my series 2?

This applies to anyone in general. I'll probably be selling my series 2, sport space gray, one small scuff in the left corner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nerdrum posted:

This is going to be a great cashgrab for the Telecoms to lease these things for 24 months at some dumb cost of like 8.99 per month. It's going to do wonders for Apple.

Also traditionally, carriers will offer $50-100 off the watch with two year contract (so you pay up front). Not sure if anyone has done payment plan for a watch yet, I know Verizon hasn't yet.

You'll probably see a lot of push to get the watch with iPhone purchase like how Verizon offers $xxx off an iPad with iPhone purchase.

I think it could make it sell super well though. $5 a month isn't a lot. A lot of people have the objection of "oh I'm always on wifi" with iPad connections, but maybe the watch it'll be both a little cheaper and people could see the utility of sometimes not having their phone on them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

I am perfectly happy talking this stuff out, I get a kick out of it. I basically want to be the guy from Her.

So, my idea with just using the Watch on my wrist with AirPods at the ready in my pocket (where my phone used to be) is that all I currently use my phone for now is:

Calls (rare!)
Texts
Mail
Calendar
GPS
Music
Checking Feedly when bored.

All of this can be done on the watch. Obviously writing long emails on the watch isn't really feasible but this is basically my dream set up for on the go stuff. Stuff that needs a quick response is doable. I like the idea of not really having a distracting screen tempting me.

What would you foresee me needing?

An iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GoldfishStew posted:

No I never use safari on my phone. Never for anything that would make me be like Oh actually yeah I need to carry around this phone instead.

I dunno, I have been really trying to get away from looking at screens. I have tried to use my phone less and less and make a conscious effort to only sit down to use screens and not just be on them scrolling infinitely.

There are still options for that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Good call, thanks. I think I am saving like $40-50 per month all told. Weird that Unlimited Data is back after I was holding on to the grandfathered plan.

Competition, when done well, is a wonderful thing. Thank the government for rejecting ATT buying T-Mobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The Apple Watch is great for keeping your phone in your pocket more, especially for travel and for being out with friends. It's not life and drag, but it's really nice once you start using it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never really use the dock apps option, but having the app switcher move vertically instead of horizontally is a much better approach.

Are the new watch faces just Kaleidoscope and toy story? Kind of boring (and Trippy).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Drastic Actions”" post="“476593128”"]
It’s totally something to talk about considering that people (including myself!) have put in pre-orders for the watch, and the big feature of the device has issues. That’s also why I suspect that’s one of the reasons for the free three months of service deal going on with the carriers: Should issues like this happen at launch, at least there’s a safety net of “well, I’m not paying for it yet” while they work out the bugs, instead of just returning the watch or canceling the service.
[/quote]

The WiFi issue sounds like an issue that Apple can solve and will be solved pretty quickly. Honestly, it may not even matter, so far it looks like the number of people buying the cell service for the watch is going to be a smaller amount. I’m getting the same response as iPads : “eh I always have my phone.” I think the watch will sell well, but the service will be s tougher sell.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Whelp. Looks like I best not get an Apple Watch. Sounds like a poo poo show.

Eh, ignore the meltdowns. People always freak out this time of year, and then Apple eventually fixes or tweaks the issues and it's all good. Especially stuff like the LTE Watch connections should get patched quickly (major feature not working).

Now, the debate on whether you need a cellular watch for $10 a month is going to go on for a while.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
FYI the Verizon watches seem to all, or almost all, have an issue activating. No eta on a fix, apparently the network team that fixes it is off Saturdays and Sundays. Why they weren't forced to work this weekend of all weekends is beyond me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“Yeast”" post="“476733217”"]
Decided to try my luck at the local Apple Store, but apparently they’re not stocking the Cellular models at all yet. I found that odd.

Tried some carrier stores, but they don’t range Stainless at all.

So online with a 4 week wait is pretty much it for now.
[/quote]

I def had people bring a cellular watch purchased by Apple in to get activated. So Apple could have sold our, but they def had some cellular watches.

Most carrier stores got zero apple watches. Mine was lucky enough to get a handful. Probably preordering at this point is the best bet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“rage-saq”" post="“476775274”"]
End of day 3, going to pop it on the charger. 14% battery left.
Usage: 6 hours, 43 minutes
Standby: 2 Days, 14 Hours

My S3 lasted from Saturday morning at 9am until Monday night just before midnight without any charges inbetween, only taking it off at night and using it 100% like normal.
[/quote]

Right, but how much of this time is cellular?

I would expect the watch to make it days if the phone is nearby with Bluetooth. The bigger question is how well it does when you go away from your phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
[quote="“sellouts”" post="“476786377”"]
Why get the LTE then?
[/quote]

Even if I wasn't getting the cell service I would probably get the LTE. You have it if you want to activate it and it isn't that much more.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Did Apple say the Siri face will use more power? I seem to recall something like that. In any case, WatchOS 4 seems to be using more battery for me (like, I'm below 50% when I go to sleep at night), and I've been using the Siri face.

I'll check my watch battery tonight, but my series 2 on watchOS 4 has been equivalent battery life. I use the watch for notifications and checking the time, by end of the day i'm at 70-80%. I'm not using the Siri face, so i haven't seen a difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nice.

FYI my Series 2 was at 80% after a full day of use today, so if you're having low battery issues, maybe it's the Siri face.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

That InStockNow site let me know that my local Apple Store got a 42mm Space Black Stainless Steel watch in.

I quickly ordered it from their site and selected the in-store pickup.
After picking it up I then cancelled my existing *November* online order.

I got the Black Sport Band for it. Very nice.

Does anyone know how supplies for these work? It seems like local stores (Apple, Best Buy, etc.) may get a single watch every few days. But the online orders? Do those get sent out as the watches are made, or do they stockpile them in a warehouse until they have "X units" to all send out at once? (to save on shipping costs?)

It’s secretive, but I would think Apple communicates “expected inventory” that each company should expect and when. Therefore, companies can give etas based on that plus whatever preorders have been made. And for sure, inventory is more reliable via ordering first because you have one warehouse being stocked vs stores nationwide. I would guess there is x allocation for shipping and x for stores; but none of the companies release how exactly they figure that out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’ll be getting the 4G watch, but it just clicked that hangouts still doesn’t have a watch app, and since I use hangouts for messaging (google voice) until they make an app or if they make one, I can’t send texts on the go, only respond from messages received.

That’s assuming that all notifications from my phone, say it’s sitting at home, get forwarded to the watch. Has anyone trialed notifications from an app that has a phone app, but not a watch app, while on 4G with the watch?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nerdrock posted:

I haven't yet, but i'm 90 percent sure it'll behave the same way as it does when your phone is with you, provided your phone is still on and connected to the internet. If you absolutely depend on hangouts for communications, I'm confident in saying you're going to have a pretty bad time with this platform.

It works currently with hangouts fine for receiving and responding, it’s just whether it works when the watch is away from the phone.

smackfu posted:

Apparently the LTE Watch gets a bunch of phone line fees so $10 quickly turns into $17. As opposed to the LTE iPad which is $12 with taxes for $10 charge. Ouch.

This isn’t surprising, it would def have a 911 and other phone charges. Still sucks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

$7 sounds high, though. Unless it’s the “split your total plan sales tax mostly evenly among all your lines” thing and the watch is a “line”.

The watch has a phone number that makes calls, so very likely you’re getting hit with both the 911 fee, any other fees by state or fed Gov, plus maybe even admin fees. Hard to say, I haven’t seen a bill for one yet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Really? It doesn’t have to use your iPhone’s number? That seems kind of surprising.

It has what I would call a “fake” number assigned to it, and then it’s programmed to essentially call forward and work with your “real” number.

Nerdrock posted:

no poo poo. you phrased your question clearly the first time. i'm just telling you things aren't going to work well for you.

i just confirmed it for you. behaves the same.

Walked the dog without my phone, (left it on at home) and asked a buddy to send me a message in 10 minutes
friend sent 3 hangouts messages. i got them, and responded to two.
he responded with a fourth AFTER my response, and i didn't get a notification for that.

Like I said : you're going to have a pretty bad time. it'll work for a short back and forth obviously, but it's not trustworthy for longer exchanges.

Appreciate the feedback. Honestly, I don’t think I’ll really need the cellular. But for now, I get half off the service, I don’t plan on upgrading my phone, so the watch will be my new device for the fall. So might as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xenomorph posted:

It's a data-only phone number. It cannot send or receive calls.

And for the small amount of data it would ever use, any charge above $5 (total) is a ripoff.

Hey, I’m not disagreeing , I’m just saying what I think it is. And it’s data only, but it’s VOLTE. When I input a watch in Verizon’s system, it asks to confirm 911 address and everything, which is why I’m betting the taxes are higher than an iPad.

I’ll look for a billed watch and confirm.

• Locked thread