Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm wondering how they'll go about announcing the price for the Edition. I know that to a large subset of the population spending upwards of $10k on a watch isn't exactly a huge deal but with just how public and viral the press conferences have become it'll be interesting to see if they actually put a number to it, and if so, how much of a backlash that will cause with the casual / white-noise crowd. Having them only available at select high end jewelry stores would help divert some of that attention (as opposed to placing it along side the other models in the online store), but this still feels like something that annoying people will freak out about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

rear end Catchcum posted:

If they come out with a watch every year I am going to complain.
You're going to complain.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Reverse Centaur posted:

No one knows for sure but rumours are it will be bad, like moto 360 "can't get through a day without being off most of the time" bad. Which seems in line with how high-quality the screen looks.
Where are these "rumors"?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol @ people using "costs of goods" to try and predict the price of a luxury item. I mean if you're gonna claim that it won't be priced with those kind of margins that's fine, but claiming that there's no way they'd charge 5k+ JUST because it ONLY has $500 worth of actual gold in it is stupid. If they want to go after that market they certainly will and will most likely make a killing at it.

We'll find out soon enough.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I'm wondering how they'll go about announcing the price for the Edition. I know that to a large subset of the population spending upwards of $10k on a watch isn't exactly a huge deal but with just how public and viral the press conferences have become it'll be interesting to see if they actually put a number to it, and if so, how much of a backlash that will cause with the casual / white-noise crowd. Having them only available at select high end jewelry stores would help divert some of that attention (as opposed to placing it along side the other models in the online store), but this still feels like something that annoying people will freak out about.
I was right. lol

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

If you had 10 grand you were specifically going to spend on a watch why wouldn't you just get a Rolex? In that upper echelon of people with money the Rolex guy will likely laugh at the Apple Watch guy.

The Rolex will also actually be worth something in 20 years. Anyone interested in buying a first generation iPhone? Exactly.
drat you figured it out. Selling all my Apple stock right now. Thanks.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Chortle posted:

The black sport one is the same price as the silver one. Gruber predicted black ones would cost more because the old BlackBooks, but he was wrong.

The only price differences between the sport models is the size difference.
He's talking about the steel.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Vintimus Prime posted:

Is this accurate?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
He was replying in reference to the Apple Watch, which makes his question even more hilarious.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kobayashi posted:

You should probably go to the hospital because it appears that you are having a stroke.
If only he were wearing an Apple Watch it would have detected his stroke through a combination of the heart rate monitor and gyroscopic data and called for help.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

I'm not though, I'm comparing the cost of a decent chunk of the material the product is made out of to the actual product price seeing as it has the same internals as the $350 version. It's not quite as much a jump in logic as you're suggesting it is.
It is, actually.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

IPX7 or water resistant or whatever. Will all water claims be denied, you should have been more careful period or will they honor the warranty on the rating somehow?
Seems impossible to enforce this so I'm guessing it will be the former.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Whirlwind Jones posted:

hehe.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Agronox posted:

The fact that your go-to watch is a Rolex shows that you don't know very much at all about watches, though.

BTW, has anyone found exactly what you CAN do with the watch when you don't have your Iphone nearby?
Tell time

I would assume you could do the simple fitness tracking thing (sans GPS) but who knows maybe they offload that to the phone CPU to save battery.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Three Olives posted:

Like Apple doesn't have a patent on the attachment mechanism, this will be shut down in no time, maybe, maybe in a bit there will be a Made for Apple Watch program.
That's not how these things work.

Thread title proves itself once again.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Why the gently caress isn't the sport model waterproof? That's just poor design.

Speaking of, the 2nd gen Apple Watch will probably have these features:

Built in GPS for fitness
Slimmer profile
Same battery life (good enough*)
Waterproof (sport model)

Then I will buy it.
We're you going to go deep sea diving with it on? It's water resistant in the same capacity that most all watches are. Unless you're completely submerging the unit in water for extended periods of time you won't have any issues.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also Belkin or whoever is going to make a fortune if they can be first to get a pocket watch chain up onto the apple.com store.
I know this is mostly a joke and also wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened but basically the entire purpose and functionality of the Apple Watch at the moment is "so you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to do something".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

I wear my watch on my right hand and I'm right handed. This is odd but practically works fine with normal watches. It seems like it would be really awkward with a smart watch though.
Same, except left/left and I never really thought of this until now. It doesn't feel like it'd be much of an issue if I mimic using the watch with my off hand, but who knows.

If anything I guess I could just get used to wearing my watch on the proper hand.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
http://www.macworld.com/article/2897403/choose-wisely-your-all-important-apple-watch-choice.html

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

rear end Catchcum posted:

Dude that's not the future that's loving lame.
:ironicat:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has anyone published the pricing for Applecare for these? I know the types of coverage has been, but not the $$$ amounts.
You mean replacement costs? I don't think anyone could have any idea until they actually announce it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Reverse Centaur posted:

My watch is bigger than the 360 and it would look silly if it was any smaller. People are different sizes and I'm not especially huge. I just took this pic

Not trying to poo poo on you or anything but I can't help but lol at the bezel on that thing every time I see it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Smart Watches are a dumb idea really
no u

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

The regular edition? Isn't that the $10k one?
Regular "version".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Smart Watches are a fad, and a bad one. People are going to realize that trying to hold your arm really still while you try to scroll on it with your finger and read some extremely tiny screen is pretty much useless. The speakerphone on your wrist is a loving travesty as well.
drat you're right.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Thanks for posting the entire text to that really long ad though
lol if you think that's "really long". Browsing on your watch or something?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Most ads are a lot shorter
Heh, you said it again in case someone missed it the first time. Nice.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

True but seeing it while an Apple store employee hovers over you isn't much better.
Except it is.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that. Any idea when we'll start seeing reviews pop up from various news media?
Probably not until days before release (so the ~21st).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

gret posted:

I have the opposite experience at Apple stores. All the blue shirts are always busy helping customers that it was almost impossible to find somebody to check me out. The new Apple Store app to self pay for purchases was a great feature to help alleviate that problem.
It's cool/weird just picking something up off the shelf and walking out of the store with it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Did you see that little training module that was posted on 9to5mac?

http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/24/apple-sales-overhaul-apple-watch-fashion/

Sounds excruciating.
Sounds like normal human interaction in a retail environment, actually.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

IuniusBrutus posted:

Which largely are terrible experiences. I have no problem talking with knowledgeable employees about products that I need information for, but that generally isn't the case. More frequently, you get stuck with a salesperson who is uneducated/pushy.
Excruciating. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

So how did this retailer I've never heard of get apple watch stock?
It's a high end fashion boutique. It's the only retail store in the western hemisphere with an actual stock of Apple Watches at the moment.

There was a fairly long post a while about talking about the experience there.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Do none of you guys have jobs? Like 8 out of the 10 battery life posts have been like "yeah, used it from 10:30 this morning and at 7pm it still had 50%".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Oh man, I had no idea you could do that with the watch! I am trying very hard to come up with reasons why I don't need a 1st gen. 400+ device, but sadly that list keeps growing ever smaller by the day :/
Wait it out. 2nd gen compared to 1st gen is usual a pretty big leap when it comes to Apple hardware, and by the time yours would actually ship if you ordered it now you'd be looking at a wait of 6-8 months basically.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

monkeu posted:

Counterpoint: I've been wearing my gen 1 Apple Watch for a few days now and it's awesome. Obviously gen 2 will be better (and so will every gen after that) but for the next year this is an extremely useful addition to my life. In a year I'll stick this gen 1 version on eBay and get probably 60% or so of what I paid for it, and then upgrade to gen 2.

"Don't buy this tech because there'll be better tech next year" is dumb. There will always be better tech next year. Apple products hold their value a lot more than anything else in tech. If you think this product will be useful for you, you're probably right. Why wait a year to start using it?
Yes if you could walk into an Apple store today and get a watch and you want one I would recommend it. However, if you order one today you'll be lucky to get it in 2 months. That was the entire point I was making.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The Apple Watch Thread: It is cool, but doesn't fill a need for me personally. Though for $400 I'm like "whatever".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't think you could type actual texts on the watch. Did she send you a baby emoji or something?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Probably a late night existential "Who are you?" "I am me." conversation you had with Siri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EpicNemesis posted:

As a left who has always worn a watch on my left wrist, am I dumb to wear a smart watch on my left? I'm retarded when it comes to right hand coordination, but I don't think I'm THAT retarded where using my right hand for controlling the watch with my right hand is going to hinder anything other than drawing dicks to people.
For reference I use a mouse with my right hand.
I'm a left/left weirdo and can't imagine it being an issue.

• Locked thread