Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Since there are only two data points it's hard to say what the 'normal' refresh cycle is likely to be. There have been pretty persistent rumors of new hardware with noninvasive glucose monitoring being tested but who knows if that's an indication of an imminent release or just that there is a thing being tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, what's the difference between the "regular" Apple Watches and the Nike one? Is it just extra faces or whatever, or are there actual, meaningful differences?

Faces and strap. For awhile the straps were exclusive but now you can get them seperate.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
LTE versions of the watch can sometimes get stuck on WiFi networks that are open but then pop up a login screen once you connect (like Starbucks, hotel networks etc), which meant LTE won’t turn on. https://www.imore.com/how-your-apple-watch-connects-wi-fi-networks-when-away-your-iphone

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
My Siri watch face is wishing me "Good Morning" and that's the only card visible. It is 7:30pm.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I use Modular with Carrot weather in the middle and moon phase (cause it’s fun) workout and rings in the bottom. For a while I had a bunch of other Modular faces with the idea that I’d swap between them in different contexts but mostly I never did. I end up using the dock more to swap between functions. I’m trying the Siri face but I just have no idea what Apple thinks I’m going to do with it; so far what Apple guesses I’ll want to see has no bearing on what I do want to see and I’m not sure how to train it otherwise.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Thanks. Today it decided to show me a picture of an ex-girlfriend. Because that's something I ever want to see??

For the past two days Siri face has been showing me a photo from my wedding which was a couple years ago and not in September. No idea why.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
As a pay as you go AT&T customer I have benefited greatly from T-Mobile. Every few months I get a text message telling me that this or that feature T-Mobile announced previously (not in those words) is now added to my plan free of charge.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Thwomp posted:

So someone sell me on if the Stainless Steel version is worth the extra cost.

So far, all I've heard it's heavier than the Aluminum and so feels more solid.

For the record, the only thing the Stainless Steel has in its favor is that I like its Black aesthetically over the aluminum Space Gray.

I dunno if this is still true for the S3 but I remember reading that the lighter aluminum watches resulted in the Taptic Engine (thanks autocorrect for that official capitalization™) feeling better than it did on the steel version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah. The workout detection seems wonky too - twice a week I take a 3 mike hike in the woods with my wife and dogs, and sometimes the watch only counts 15 minutes of the 90 minute walk as exercise. Same with using the treadmill at home, it’s usually just behind the treadmill itself on the distance counter, but it records anywhere from 50-100% of it on the ring.

Oddly, the “other” workout setting seems to count pretty much 100% no matter what I’m doing.

I’m just ignoring the ring for that and going by what the workout app says I did.

You can force the ring to treat the hike as excersize by setting an 'open goal' outdoor walk workout as you leave. The watch will treat whatever you do as excersize for the hike. I know this because I have to set it to recognize that a bike ride is a bike ride and sometimes I forget and suddenly the watch is super proud of me for doing 90 minutes of exercise when what actually happened is I rode for 20 minutes and then wandered around a grocery store for 70.

• Locked thread