Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm ready to buy the watch but at this point I'm not really sure if I should wait for some kind of upcoming product announcement for aWatch2? I'm fairly happy with my Pebble Time Steel in the sense that it tells time, tells me the weather, and shows me my text messages, but with the weather turning I want something that will track more fitness.

I know there's no real way to be sure, but are we expecting some kind of watch refresh at WWDC'16?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's what I figured. I can hang onto my few hundred bucks for a few more months. Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm still waiting for AW2 but I'm curious about cuff-style bands. Anyone wear one? I'm curious how well the sensor at the bottom works since most of the cuff bands seem to elevate the watch a mm or so.

Basically hoping I'll be able to get something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/V-MORO%AE-Lea...keywords=v-moro

with the AW2.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 29, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I learn something new every day, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unity Gain posted:

I have the Hermes cuff model, and the sensors work just fine, never had any issues. Same goes for charging stands; no problems at all. Can't speak for the exact model you linked, but the Hermes cuff itself is also thick, and also raises the watch by a few mm.

Hey I didn't even realize that Apple did a Hermès cuff -- that's exactly what I'm angling for. Thanks for the insight!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm, was hoping (but not expecting) for some aW2 stuff at WWDC but no dice. Any ideas when the next chance might be? Rumours say that iPhone7 and aW2 might be simultaneous.

Oh well, I've waited this long, it can't be that much longer.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I mean I might go with what's out now, but my Pebble Time Steel is still going and this is really more of a /want/ than a /need/, so I'll wait. I'm curious to see what they do with battery life, if anything.

My huge driver was that we were launching ApplePay in Canada and I wanted to use that rather than my phone, but now that we launched it the magic sort of wore down and I'm plenty happy waiting.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 16, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Literally no one who has any idea can say on the record, so rumors are just that.

Well right, I wasn't asking for a definite date but rather a guess when the next event might be. They seem to hold events around the same time annually, and I know September is the next likely; I just wasn't sure if there was some timeframe that I was missing :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rumours are that iPhone7 or whatever it'll be called is set for mid September, wondering if that makes it more or less likely that the Watch will see a refresh announcement then. I know the original watch had its own event, but essentially it was a brand new product launch so I wouldn't have expected anything but. Maybe they can double it up now.

Stil holding out hope that we'll see something in Sept.

In retrospect, all the blogs were saying AW is a "don't buy, refresh is close" but I should have just picked up a secondhand AW and flipped it whenever AW2 hits.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 25, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here take their AW kayaking? I'm thinking more like sea kayaking, not whitewater kayaking where you might bash it against rocks. Just wondering how the waterproof or watertight works in the real world. Worst I'm expecting is to be in the water for maybe two minutes at a time, never deeper than 1m or so. Freshwater to boot. Should be ok y/n?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok well sounds like I should be fine. If I'm in the water for more than 30 minutes I have bigger problems than my watch.

Now to play the waiting game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So I'm trying to figure out which watch to get ready to preorder on the 7th and I'm still waffling about 38 vs 42, assuming they stay the same. If I buy online should I expect that if I don't like the size I can switch it up at the fruit stand, one way or the other? Understand that for the first month or so quantities will probably be limited.

I guess I could go to the fruit stand NOW to try them on, but it's not in the cards this weekend and I'm going to be kind of busy next week so ehh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for confirmation. I was going to get the 42 anyway so that'll probably work out fine for me :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess it's really no indication of what will happen on Wednesday, but when AW was originally announced did it ship immediately or was it one of those "available on xyz, order now" things? I can't remember that presentation to save my life.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fair enough; My bad I should have done the obvious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Can we all just admit that people with the 38mm are poor and stupid and probably dumb as well

Probably, let me just make sure the 38 isn't what looks best on me before I agree.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I was hoping for day one availability but I'll settle for preordering on Friday and picking up on the 16th. Definitely going in on the 42mm S2 base model and I was prepared to spend $600CDN so I guess I'm happy.

I really really really wish I didn't want the new waterproofing or GPS because then I would go for the S1 in a heartbeat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: nvm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Trying to preorder the S2 Alu. online but it doesn't give me the option to pick up at the fruit stand on day one. I was hoping pickup in-store would mean availability in all stores but now I'm not so sure :\

edit: And their shipping estimator says Oct 12 lol

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 9, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm hoping the delivery estimates will bump up and this is just Apple being needlessly pessimistic with availability.

If it really is going to be the 12th of October I'm going to cancel my preorder and just hawk the local fruit stand. I'm not going to preorder a watch and wait a month after release to get it. I'll give this a couple of days to play itself out though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Were they ever day of? I don't even wanna preorder at this rate, I'll just walk in.

I mean unless the physical store has zero stock until after the 12th of October (in my case) then there's really no reason to preorder.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is the watch like a Mac where you can buy Applecare after the fact, or do you have to get it at purchase?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Any reports about how actually waterproof the new watch is? I swim a lot and honestly if a watch says "50m water resistance" the most ill do is accidentally get it wet in the sink. Usually swimming laps for an hour + hot tub + shower will quickly wreck a 50m resistance. True divers is where it's at.

During the keynote they showed the test rig they set up for testing waterproofing with the S2. It looked like it emulated powerful strokes over a large time period so I am comfortable believing it'll handle an hour of laps. I probably wouldn't try to get to the bottom of the deep end of the pool, but it shouldn't flake out during regular usage.

I guess we'll see how this actually plays out once people get their units.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My plan is still to stake out the fruit stand here on Friday and into next week. My S2 isn't supposed to ship from apple.ca until like the 12th :smith:

I was essentially hoping that all these dates into late Sept and early Oct were Apple being needlessly pessimistic, but it looks like they just didn't plan for these numbers. Or they planned for scarcity to make it seem more in demand or something :tinfoil:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Apple shipping dates are always pessimistic. In every shipping thread I've seen on this forum no one has ever gotten their thing any later than initially quoted (ignoring things like FedEx/UPS being shits on official launch day and not actually knocking or whatever), and almost always seem to get them earlier (except launch day).

Well I'm banking on that, and I'm hoping that my "Oct 12-24" estimate on apple.ca is extremely pessimistic. I'd love for it to get shipped out with the BestBuy delayed orders at least, if not earlier.

I mean I guess waiting a month for a watch I've waited six months for isn't going to kill me but it's almost on my wrist :[

Going to the fruit stand and demoing a 42mm was a bad idea, just made me all the more excited to get mine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm curious as to how well the S1 is selling. They seem to really want a decent cheaper option.

If I wasn't planning on taking mine kayaking I'd probably be buying the S1. Onboard GPS is appealing but realistically I'm literally never without my phone and I don't expect that to change even when I get my S2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

According to a fruit stand employee, they'll begin allowing in-store reservations tomorrow morning at 8am. So I guess you can order online for in-store pickup, pending availability.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So is it safe to say that the watch band slide in clip hasn't changed at all from S0 to S2? I want to buy a leather strap for my S2 Alu. Any existing band should work, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Allright, awesome thanks!

Is there a good go-to alternative to the Hermes double tour? Looking to stay under $100CDN and like $70US I guess?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of course people who had lovely October delivery dates are getting ship notifications, just as I cancelled my preorder because I was convinced I could pick a S2 Alu up in stores this upcoming week.

I actually ordered the silver alu with pearl nylon but the more I look at it, the more the gold alu appeals to me. Really trying to decide between the two now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Gold is ugly and cheap-looking imo.

Also if you're getting a nylon band and intend to work out with the watch, I would highly recommend getting a sport band, also. The nylon band sucks up sweat and gets really gross really fast.

Did not know this. I thought being nylon it would deal with sweat allright. Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on exercising so this is good info.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Gold is by far the best color tbh

I dunno, I'm kind of with you on this one. I really like the gold aluminum model.

The gold-gold one is probably over the top for me :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

They stopped making the stupid $10,000 gold gold one.

I'm shocked.

Anyone know off the top of their head how Apple Store availability is refreshed? Should I be checking multiple times a day to see if I can reserve in-store pickup, or if it shows no availability at 8am that'll be the same for the rest of the day?

I hope stock levels even out this week. I don't want to have to wait until October :|

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 18, 2016

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

In the Oct 17-28 window so would love to know the answer to this as well. I have four stores within an hour of me.

I was dumb and cancelled my preorder over the weekend thinking I could get it in store sooner, but then I read that people are getting their ship dates bumped up. I am bad at decisions.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Buy two and swap them out to charge every 12 hours.

Can't wait until they integrate that OTA-charging technology and I can charge my watch while I sleep.

Also can't wait for the inevitable cancer lump on my wrist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I'm vaguely tempted by the Hermes deployment strap, and I feel kinda gross about it.

Is that the one with the two buckles? It looks allright. I'm looking for a good clone of the Hermes double-tour S0 band on Amazon but they all have terribad reviews :\

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

No, it's the one with the deployment strap.

Oh. I had no idea that thing had an actual name. I thought that was just some term Hermes used for a dumb two buckle thing v:unsmith:v

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Was able to answer my own question. Kept periodically checking the website but not adding to the Bag, there's a link to checking store availability. Before I left for lunch there was nothing within 150 miles of me, just randomly checked again and one store had a big green available icon. So just keep checking I guess.

Thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm no longer in any way convinced that the online watch stock thing on Apple's site is remotely accurate.

Zero stock of S2 Aluminum for four days in any Ontario stores? There are people buying watches. I doubt they're all stainless. I'm just going to go line up at 8am tomorrow and hope they have a watch for me to buy. I even gave up on hoping for a pearl nylon band because I'm going to replace it with leather anyway so I don't really care.

Changed my order on the online store to a white sport bad for same reason, and it ships 3-5wks vs 5-7wks so worst case if I can't pick one up in store at least I should (???) get it sooner.

I'm putting an awful lot of energy and thought into something I said I wasn't going to.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: Apple sent me a satisfaction survey about my watch buying experience.

This is gonna be good.

• Locked thread