Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What time is this? 10 PDT/ 1 EDT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope we get to see the truck's schedule again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tim release a new Apple TV.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Magsafe? gently caress this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Does this mean the air is going away?
They'll probably keep the 11" as an entry level. Maybe.

LegendaryFrog posted:

Wait, it just has one usb c-type? So if you are charging the laptop you can't even use a peripheral? Uhh....
I'm sure Apple will gladly sell you a dongle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Did we already forget why Magsafe was loving awesome?

Removing it is literally a dealbreaker for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You people post like you've never used your phone for a boarding pass. TSA doesn't give a poo poo.

AlternateAccount posted:

You can use your phone now. Not sure this will fly since you can't really see all the info. Might just be usable to hit the QR code or whatever when you're actually boarding.
EDIT: They don't look at your phone. When you scan the QR code, it pulls all the info up and you hand over your ID to make sure it's you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait till the extra $100 for steel.

Hahahaha whoops

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Let's be real, $10,000 is a small price to pay for beauty.

Now, if only Apple would release a beautiful watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FYI, the Apple Store App has actual size pictures if you want to get an idea of how it would fit you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

I am on The market for a fitness tracker. I really enjoy tracking my Gym performances etc. And healthkit integration is a plus but at The prices they are proposing The only One i am even considering is The black sport. Tais is One perchaste that unless i vet a massive bonus Will wait for gen2. I Will rather spend on The bragi dash (if there are fitness buffs here check it Out) Its got me excited

Have You considered that This might not be A Product for You?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gypsyshred posted:

So what does IPX7 mean to me? Should I take it off to wash dishes? Shower? Cant swim with it, right?

It means if it gets rained on, it'll live. You probably should take it off for anything involving soap or solvents, though apparently Tim Cook says he takes his in the shower, so who knows. I wouldn't swim with it, but technically it should be okay.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Regarding the Apple Watch. One question I have, that I haven't looked for an answer to, is does the screen stay always on, or does it turn on when you swing your arm like Android Wear? Also does it have a low power ambient mode too?
The Glimpse feature suggests it turns off most of the time except when you look at it or are actively use it, though I haven't heard of an ambient mode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Are the bands smart bands? Do they add functionality?
Nope.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're all pretty significant IMO. They just don't change the case every other year.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They sell the bands separately, so I'm pretty sure they are thinking about you swapping bands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

1997 posted:

It's rubber though.

Rubbers are plastics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I *kind* of want a regular watch with the Milanese band, but not really $700 worth of want. I'd rather wait for the second or even third generation, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Then buy a pebble is you want a smart watch with longer battery life. I'll admit I'm still a bit torn on pebble time vs apple watch.

But yeah, no one is forcing anyone to buy the apple watch.

You didn't hear? Tim Cook is sending out the Apple Stormtroopers to make EVERYONE buy one. If you don't, you'll be forced to make them in China for the rest of your life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I was super interested in it and then they revealed it and now I'm super interested in April of next year when the Better one comes out.
I, too, like treadmills.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

What? No. Not in the US anyway. All the iPad plans were contract-free prepaid plans and relatively reasonable(in the generally unreasonable scope of data plans from cell carriers.)
AT&T's plan is still $30 for 3 GB and $50 for 5 GB of data, which, if you're using your iPad away from wifi a lot is probably what you want to get. Verizon is similar. Sprint and T-Mo have their own plans, and, really these were all pretty much what you'd pay for a data plan on a phone back when the first iPad came out, but with data sharing they don't make a lot of sense for people who have smartphones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

guys, I'm right there with you. I've had the apple kool aid. I've had an iPhone since the 1st one. The difference is I learned my lesson. My eyes are open and I'm seeing critically. Apple is not giving you all they could. I think they even just released a statement saying that next year App developers will be able to make apps that work without the phone. They are basically blatantly telling you this generation isn't all it could be, even when it could. They purposely hinder their devices so they can premiere a "Better and Bigger than Ever!" the year after. Wake up.

This isn't Steve's Apple. This is Tim's.
Are you seriously angry that Apple releases a newer, better device year over year? Did you know? The third Apple Watch will be better than the one next year!

I'm not buying one in any case, but you seem to not understand that next year will always be better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

monkeu posted:

The same stuff Tag Heurs or whatever are made out of?

Someone should let Fitbit know. Their fitness trackers are made out of plastic or some poo poo. I'm pretty sure aluminum is a bit harder than that :confused:
Hardness is not the only measure of "ruggedness" which, other than using things like waterproofness and dustproofness, don't really have objective measures (and hardness is probably a bad one since it really only tells you if things will scratch, when that's not necessarily the biggest concern when you want something to continue functioning). I'll grant that the Fitbit Charge HR I'm wearing at the moment definitely fails at the former (as they outright state) and probably fails at the latter, but it has nothing to do with the hardness of plastic vs. aluminum.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

I think it's just that aluminium and steel won't quite match.

Or like gold and steel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also feel like I was misconstrued last time I was in here. Sorry if I seemed like I was trolling or whatver. I think smart watches are great. My only complaint is that apple isn't delivering the best stats they could but charging like they are. They could be giving you more for your money but they aren't, they're holding back for v2, etc. And cool, you're ok with that, I just personally think we vote with our $ and if we held out they would have to get past the "we're apple, they'll buy whatver we put out."
It's more that you keep saying this over and over and over while offering no evidence beyond Apple saying they're not opening the APIs yet and "well I think it could be better!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

Agreed that it's difficult, but the bands don't have to be removable on the display models. And the whole left side is available for some kind of custom security cable to be attached.
Eh, being tethered to a table isn't really a great experience for figuring out if you'll be comfortable with a thing you'll be wearing all day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

True but seeing it while an Apple store employee hovers over you isn't much better.
It actually is much better since you won't have a table pulling at your wrist and making its fit all weird. It's not *ideal*, I agree, but I would much rather have an Apple employee hover over me than be attached to a table.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Why not just have dummy units out on the floor to test weight and feel and if you want to get into the actual usage of apps and whatever you can make an appointment?
This is a good idea, and one I'd be surprised they didn't consider, but I imagine the thought process is that it would leave them as the only non-working devices in the store, which is probably *not* what they want for their newest, latest item - especially one that people don't necessarily know what they'd do with.

Karki posted:

Most recently this bit them in rear end on sapphire screens. Couldn't get enough to make iPhone screens, tried to scale up by pumping money into a small producer, still couldn't make it happen. Organic batteries aren't going to go from 1 tech demo to 100mil a year very soon.
Yeah, they actually built factories for Samsung to produce flash memory for them way back when flash storage was still becoming a thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it depends on the store. Of the three I've been to in my area (of, like, six?), two have a lot of foot traffic (one being in a huge mall and the other in Georgetown) while the third doesn't get quite as much. The third is generally easiest to get someone to help at. I've never really felt like I'm being bothered too much at any of them, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's exactly that. They'll carry some in the store, but with 30 SKUs of Watch not even counting the Edition editions and six different MacBooks, that's a lot to keep in stock. Hell, I got a 13" MBP and they didn't have the specific one I wanted in stores on launch day (though it appears they do now).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I know right? I like my reviews as short as possible.

I just scroll to the bottom of every review and read the single number. If it's an 8 or higher, I buy immediately, no matter what it is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Apple has identified the stores that will carry the Edition edition.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/09/list-of-apple-stores-carrying-watch-edition/

Sweet. Gonna go buy me an Apple Watch Edition edition! :whatup:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm curious why you think sales of other watches would decline "drastically" if the Watch won't work with non-Apple phones anyway? Are smartwatch-wanters just going to not buy anything if they have an Android phone, by virtue of Apple's existing?

Yeah I was about to say that there's not a whole lot of crossover unless people are switching from Androids just to get Apple Watches which I kind of doubt. There's Pebble, Fitbit, and MS that are cross platform, but Samsung and Moto and LG won't see much of a change at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think the Sports look cheap, exactly, but they definitely look like they'd be more at home next to fitness trackers than watches. They don't feel cheap or flimsy at all, though. The black aluminum looks better than the silver, but the polished steel looks better than the black steel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I was impressed by that. If you happen to be a time traveler, don't put it near any floppy disks. It's definitely not going to open on its own.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, you should call and change the payment to be sure, but I think if it attempts to charge and fails, they'll send you an email to change payment method, anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, they just call it "sport" and make it out of rubber for kicks, but really the gold link band is best for running. Hope you've got $20k.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess we know what the least ordered configuration is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gohmak posted:

22% U.S. Orders fulfilled launch day. Apple hosed this up. Angela is getting fired like Forstall.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-watch-orders-22-percent-slice-intelligence-failure-ahrendts-2015-4

Next launch I guess I need to do like those assholes that ordered 4 different colors to see which ships first then cancel the others.
Why would the head of retail be fired for not having the supply to fill demand? Sounds like a supply chain issue to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ars and Anandtech are generally pretty objective.

• Locked thread