Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No, it's definitely darker than iPhone Space Grey. Not as dark as Slate Grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Factory posted:

No loving way...

That exists already?!

It was released before the Apple Watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrBond posted:

I think OS X has a pretty well supported method of going back, but yeah iOS is generally meant to only go forward.

You can always go backwards from iOS betas to whatever the current release version is easily within iTunes. I'm fairly certain it's supported since it's no different than restoring an iOS device. You generally can't go to previous release versions, however.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Some article came out recently from a purchase tracking app that said sales dropped 90% and the internet is freaking out.

There are no real sales numbers and won't be.
I wouldn't count on that. Apple is a publicly-traded company and its stockholders will definitely want to know. They might not (probably won't) split out by model, but I'd be extremely surprised if they don't release numbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, even if their numbers are accurate, the actual drop in sales (following the initial rush) isn't until they announce in-store sales. I wonder where those online orders went...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's impressive you got such a bold prediction correct. I have one of my own: the sun will come up tomorrow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gret posted:

The guy that said the apple watch was useless because it didn't have a thunderbolt port? I seriously couldn't tell if he was trolling or deranged.
He's a troll with too much time on his hands because he also said it was too small and low power for spreadsheets and rendering 3D.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does anyone have a black Sport Watch? How is the finish holding up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a silver SS with a sport band. I decided black didn't look too great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, after two days with this thing, I'm pretty sure I'm returning it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's definitely enough time to assess a product. Good call.
Thanks man. I agree.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rage-saq posted:

I think most of the stuff being pitched directly at apple watches on amazon and such are bad cheap crap, but apples leather stuff is also pretty crap as well.
Get some apple watch adapters off amazon and get yourself a nice real watch strap from strapcode or something like that. I got a 23mm black leather deployant and its really, really nice.

Contrast stitching :(

EDIT: Returned my watch after a week. It looked nice and that's about it. As a watch goes, the faces are all either smaller and harder to read than my cheap Seiko or don't end up looking like a watch. Sure it's "super accurate" but I'm not stressing over losing a few seconds a day. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it was sending notifications I didn't want, despite having them turned off in the Watch app. I really, really, really don't want every Facebook notification sent to my watch, especially given that they don't actually give any useful information beyond getting a notification. I will grant that might be user error, though. The glances were so slow as to be useless - as io_burn mentioned, in the time it would take to update them, I could have just opened my phone and checked it there, and I had them whittled down to the few things I might want to actively check (Transit, weather, that sort of thing). More than all of that, it seemed like a solution seeking a problem - I just didn't find myself *needing* notifications on my wrist. Maybe WatchOS 2 will make things better, but I think I'll wait another couple generations before checking it out again.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 3, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With regular watches they are nice because they are cheap and can be easily swapped in and out depending on how you're feeling/whatever else you're wearing. They're nice and casual and look good on certain types of watches. That said, since you can't use actual NATO bands with an Apple watch, most of that goes away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Where do you find that?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I'm going to wear the Apple Watch so I look cool.
Man are you in for a surprise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I at least took two days before deciding it was useless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobfather posted:

As opposed to traditional wrist watches that cost the same or more for a nice brand but only tell the time?
Many also have timers on them or other useful functions. And will never be obsolete. And look much nicer. And will retain their value far better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

And looks like a piece of poo poo. I realize this comes of superficial, but watches are, ultimately, accessories/jewelry, so looking attractive is actually important.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you want to claim traditional watches are obsolete due to phones, smart watches were obsolete before they were ever invented...because of smart phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you even reading the things you write?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I liked "I have no idea what any of this data means...which sort of proves Apple Watch's worth"

I liked "watches are obsolete because you can take out your phone and smartwatches are good because you don't have to take out your phone"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, one on each wrist will double the health benefits.

I'm actually not sure though: can you pair a single iPhone to two watches simultaneously? Might need to add another iPhone to the order too.

You missed:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple watch feels like the most needless piece of tech in the world, though probably all smart watches are that. Bought and returned same day, gently caress apple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

It's not like people wear watches as jewellery
Yeah, I feel like people don't get this when they're told that smart watches are generally pretty ugly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Some people live in silly countries that start early.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TinTower posted:

The US is silly for ending late. :colbert:

TBF we're all silly for using it at all in 2015.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

monkeu posted:

Here's a pretty good custom wallpaper:

Where?

On screen tech: While you're technically correct that some colors use more power than others on a OLED screen, if you think showing a solid blue complication in one area and a solid red one in another is going to make anything approaching a significant difference when compared to turning on the full screen to display a multi-color image, you're insane. At most, you're talking minutes over the course of a full day. Even as part of a simple watchface the difference isn't going to make a difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buy a set of adapters and use standard watchbands. Suddenly, the world is your oyster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The gold sport is ugly at best, and dual-tone watches always look terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

Target didn't want to play, at least my area. They said they can do either the price match or gift card.

They dgaf for me. Maybe try another store?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pipebomb posted:

I bought accessories I wanted, based on the old assumption it would hold value. It didn't, so ifucked myself. Now I need to sell everything for around 425 just to be competitive. Somebody go buy it before I give it to a homeless person.
Ah yes, first-gen tech is well known for holding value. I just sold my original iPhone for $800!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My biggest complaint is that it is dog slow. A faster processor would be an easy way for them to make it The Best Apple Watch Yet™.
Yeah, a faster processor would go a long way to making it a better product. I'm actually surprised they let such a slow thing go out the door. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much. Playing with Android Wear demo units, they don't seem nearly as slow to do things, though, and battery life is supposedly about the same. (Granted, they're bigger, so they have bigger batteries.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got mine half off due to the Target and Best Buy sales, but I'd feel really bad paying more than that $200. (Especially considering I *did* pay more than that when I bought a steel one that I promptly returned.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I find my Apple Watch to be pretty consistent with the Fibit Charge HR I was wearing before.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TBF, if you do it through iCloud, the phone keeps pinging until you get to it whereas the watch only sends one ping. Just means you have to keep hitting the button on the watch, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just saw that Apple cut the price on their watch today. I've seen best buy offer $100 off deals in the past. Anyone know if there's a way for them to pricematch Apple and apply the $100 promo?
Not really. If you haven't bought one, they'll just drop the price to whatever the new MSRP is, and if that promo isn't running, they're not going to give it to you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If there's multiple sizes, the Apple website doesn't indicate it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

After three or four months, mine looks like the day I got it.

There's nothing special about the alloys Apple is using on the aluminum or steel ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My Apple Watch is lighter than the traditional watch I was wearing before it, so I barely notice it's there most of the time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LorneReams posted:

Thanks, I ended up getting this, and I actually like it better than the official Apple loop. The fact that it's black (something Apple doesn't offer for some stupid reason) is just frosting.
???

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLJH2/42mm-space-black-milanese-loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It sure looks a lot like the one I got on Amazon for 19.99.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is a grey-market "clone" situation.

I also got the cheapo Amazon link bracelet, and there's a lot of slop between the links. I don't know if that's how the real ones are, but I can't complain for just over 10% of the cost.

• Locked thread