Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
No thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Does Watch OS 3 require iOS 10 on the iPhone?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

That seems so weird it doesn't sync. Do messages originally viewed on the watch show up on your iPhone?

Edit: Yes, because they're pushed to the watch from the phone, duh! Can you tell I don't have an Apple Watch? I don't.

decypher fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 9, 2016

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I too am a cheapo and will be buying two OG AW(38mm, and 42mm) for my GF and myself for xmas. Does the original last all day with Watch OS 3?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure it's all in one workout. And you have to use the stock workout app.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I'm really torn. I like the stainless steel watches but the new one is out of my price range. I can buy a first generation stainless steel watch for around the same priced as a used Series 1. Obviously future proofing is good but I've read the original isn't so bad on watch OS 3. Also, I am leaning the original generation SS as I might not even like the watch, maybe. However, if I get a series 1 and enjoy the watch I'll no doubt be selling it and getting a SS S2 or whatever next year. Tell me what to do, Internet.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

The price difference for me is $26 between the SS OG and the S1. My brain says S1 but my heart says SS. Is this first world problems?

Do you guys with the aluminum watches wear a case when you're doing any sort of work with tools or machinery?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I appreciate the insight Taima.

Against all odds, I ended up purchasing the Series 1 watch as it came with a bunch of bands and a case. I think next year I'll definitely get a used SBSS S2 watch.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Apple Watch is loving really cool. Battery life is really great as well. This is a cool watch.

So, what are the good apps?

decypher fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2016

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

enojy posted:

Joking aside, this thing serves a worthwhile purpose with just the stock apps IMO.

Yeah, I am getting that.

Y'all know that when you're scribbling, you can use the crown dial thing to scroll through suggested words? So cool.

I've found scribble to be very accurate. Just trust and go with it, even if the displayed word isn't what you're writing. I've found that it will update it fairly accurately by the time you're done writing, just that the visual feedback isn't always accurate until you're done scribbling. If that makes sense.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

These things update themselves? I am running 3.1.1 apparently but never ran the update myself. :shrug:

Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Yeah, delete the downloaded update via Usage screen in Watch.app, iirc.

I still don't understand how my watch updated on its own. I didn't initiate the update.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I bought a used series 1 with a couple snazzy bands(Milanese knockoff, and some hardcore case strap with shock protection) for about $260 and I think I got a really good deal.

I double checked, I paid $270 shipped.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 31, 2017

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Any one know the name of the app that takes links from your twitter timeline and puts them all in a list on your watch?

Edit: It's called Nuzzel!!!

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2017

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I applied a new Military Grade plastic film to the screen and body which requires a drying period so I don’t have my watch today either. I really miss talking to my wrist.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

kri kri posted:

I feel dumb, I am looking at swappa for this watch type, is this what I want?

Apple Watch Stainless Steel 42mm (1st Gen 2015) (Smart Watch) [A1554]

Yip

Speaking of, Swappa is a little chaotic when it comes to which watch gets placed in which category, so be careful. As in, you could see Sport Watches showing up where they shouldn't.

The first release of Apple watch had basically two watches. The AW sport, which I believe came in black and silver. The other was simply called Apple Watch and that is stainless steel. Of course, Apple released a third watch at this time called the Edition but it was gold and $10,000 so no one bought it.

edit: spelling

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 25, 2017

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I need everyone to know there's a bug with personal touch, specifically sending your heartbeat. See, I remember Apple saying at their presentation a few years back you can send your actual heartbeat to someone. I tried sending it with an elevated heart rate and found the preview it gives you of your heart rate does not match your actual pulse. I felt very betrayed and thought Apple had lied to us all until I opened Messages and saw the actual thing. The personal touch in Messages does beat at your actual heart rate at the time of transmission.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

How many Watch Editions did they sell? The $10,000 gold ones.

I'd be furious if I didn't get at least 5 years of usage out of my $10,000 watch. Which is an absolutely insane statement to make.

Point being, those original watches all had the same internals. My bet is all the originals are supported in WatchOS 5, but not WatchOS 6.

It's also entirely possible Apple support the watch in a completely unprecedented manner. I mean, it's not an iPhone. It's a different product. I wouldn't be shocked if they support the OG watches for many more years to come. One can dream, right?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Taima posted:

Sure, and that's a fair critique of the product, though I will advise to you that the stainless non-DLC will develop a patina of scratches. This may be desirable if you're a patina guy, or lovely if you aren't. Regardless, the fact is that most people who buy the stainless steel do so based on its looks in the store, not the reality of how the watch will look in a year. Take that as you will.

I won't be citing my sources, nor do I particularly care, so if anyone wants to disregard my portrayal of the situation they are more than welcome to.

Those scratches, by the way, will buff out with any stainless steel polish.

I shouldn't have to state this but this is the internet so: obviously polish will not work for deep gouges and scratches. It will absolutely handle any superficial or "patina" scratching incurred from normal day to day usage.

edit: Holy poo poo, that stand posted below me looks really great and I bought it instantly.

decypher fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 15, 2017

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So does Os4 really get rid of the music apps ability to select music from your iPhone :raise: ?
That’s a HUGE drawback for me

Someone please confirm/deny this scary poo poo.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Wait, does this mean I can't start to play a song from my iPhone with my watch?

No more, "hey Siri, play mask off"? into my watch to play Mask/Off on my phone?

Wtf?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The Siri part works.

E: if that’s what QoP originally meant, then my bad. I was looking for a way to do it with tapping.

Siri is great until you have a band or song with a weird name, you're at her mercy then.

gently caress Apple for doing this.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

It feels really cheap and an obvious transparent ploy to get users to upgrade. I understand that, business model, income, etc and it's good and ok. But holy gently caress what the gently caress were they loving thinking!

Email Tim Cook like I did to express how cheap a move this is. loving cheap as gently caress.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

WatchOS 4 has ruined my entire life.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

No confirmation you can browse your iPhone music on the watch like before so you're a liar.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Can I browse my phone's local music(iTunes Match) with this update like I can in watchOS 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Apple Watch - WHY THE gently caress DID YOU TAKE AWAY THE MUSIC BROWSING IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU loving rear end in a top hat FUCKS gently caress YOU APPLE 5.0

• Locked thread