Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

decypher posted:

The price difference for me is $26 between the SS OG and the S1. My brain says S1 but my heart says SS. Is this first world problems?

Do you guys with the aluminum watches wear a case when you're doing any sort of work with tools or machinery?

I have the aluminum and space black stainless models and a close friend has the regular stainless, so I'm pretty familiar with all of the options.

Personally I hated the aluminum watch because it developed a ton of micro scratches on the face. It drove me loving crazy. Also, the aluminum watch feels more like a nice FitBit than an actual watch, so if you're looking for a real watch then the stainless options are far better. The watch back is plastic too, vs ceramic. The whole thing just feels really cheap compared to the SS versions, and no sapphire screen.

The regular stainless is the most classically good-looking but as bare stainless steel, it WILL develop scratches. No getting around that. That's why I didn't get one, I can't handle scratches on either the face or the body. If you're ok with some scratching on the body, the regular stainless is probably the best looking option.

The space black stainless is by far the most durable of all of the watches. My watch is completely spotless, I'm not sure if it will ever get damaged. Between the tDLC coating, the sapphire screen, and the ceramic back, it's built like a tank (though the sapphire can be broken if it takes a hard hit). The main "downside" of the black stainless watch is that it's pretty stealth, it's not as overtly pretty as the regular stainless. Kind of a more utilitarian option, but it looks and feels great- it just won't turn as many heads. The watch is so black that under most lighting conditions, it looks like there is no bezel.

As for Series 0 vs 1, I have no idea why people are recommending the series 1 based on nothing but the processor. Watch OS3 is fine on the series 0, and I never find myself going "oh I wish the watch was faster at [thing], this is bumming me out" with OS3. And with the clearance prices on the first model, you can get a stainless version for cheap. Seems like a win-win to me.

I also reject that the apple watch isn't a "real watch" but that's just my opinion (man).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nah it's def not a real watch.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I appreciate the insight Taima.

Against all odds, I ended up purchasing the Series 1 watch as it came with a bunch of bands and a case. I think next year I'll definitely get a used SBSS S2 watch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If I could sell my aluminum S1 and get a stainless S0 for a somewhat even exchange, I'd probably do it at this point. I've come to terms with what I enjoy using the watch for, and it's all pretty low intensity stuff -- unlocking my MacBook, mirroring notifications, controlling music, and aiding turn-by-turn GPS.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Today I received my Nomad Modern leather strap in the post that I ordered over the Black Friday period. Got to say i'm very impressed - i've never held Apple's own by comparison and from the pictures this looks a bit less refined and more rugged, but it feels like a quality item and better than the cheapy Amazon jobby i received and sent straight back.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pissflaps posted:

Today I received my Nomad Modern leather strap in the post that I ordered over the Black Friday period. Got to say i'm very impressed - i've never held Apple's own by comparison and from the pictures this looks a bit less refined and more rugged, but it feels like a quality item and better than the cheapy Amazon jobby i received and sent straight back.

I got mine last week and it has become my daily strap. It is very well made and love the lugs on it. The warehouse is less than 5 miles from my house and still took 2 days to get here after being shipped. USPS sucks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pissflaps posted:

C'mon flaps, where's the link?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TraderStav posted:

C'mon flaps, where's the link?

There's no links its a leather strap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

:rimshot:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Pissflaps posted:

:captainpop:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Apple Watch is loving really cool. Battery life is really great as well. This is a cool watch.

So, what are the good apps?

decypher fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The good apps... hmm... well... are you looking for a quirky weather app, running/walking, or yoga tips and tricks? Because that's about 98% of em

Joking aside, this thing serves a worthwhile purpose with just the stock apps IMO.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

enojy posted:

Joking aside, this thing serves a worthwhile purpose with just the stock apps IMO.

Yeah, I am getting that.

Y'all know that when you're scribbling, you can use the crown dial thing to scroll through suggested words? So cool.

I've found scribble to be very accurate. Just trust and go with it, even if the displayed word isn't what you're writing. I've found that it will update it fairly accurately by the time you're done writing, just that the visual feedback isn't always accurate until you're done scribbling. If that makes sense.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Ya scribbling owns and I can go pretty much as fast as I can... scribble.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Dark Sky watch app. Modular face --> Dark Sky on the primary middle complication. Then whatever you want on the other ones.

It's crazy useful to know when it's going to stop or start raining soon during different phases of a storm, for example.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Taima posted:

Dark Sky watch app. Modular face --> Dark Sky on the primary middle complication. Then whatever you want on the other ones.

It's crazy useful to know when it's going to stop or start raining soon during different phases of a storm, for example.

It's the one thing from Back to the Future 2 that actually exists in the mass-market and nobody cares because they're stuck on self lacing shoes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dark Sky doesn't seem to be in the Canadian app store. Does anyone know whether it works with Canadian locations when purchased from US? :(

I'm thinking I already know the answer but hoping someone says otherwise.

edit: Bummer, site says US and UK only. Nevermind.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Not gonna lie, I thought Scribble on the watch was the same as the lame draw/scribble thing on iMessage. I've been able to get by using dictation or the canned responses.

Just tried it on my watch and mind blown.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just got Dark Sky but how do you get the complication that is the precipitation graph?

Also I just got a Series 1 this weekend because I got some extra play money and thought it would be worth trying out. The more I get the UI the more I'm liking it. I wish there was just a pinch more customization watchface options. Like I love the date over the time on the Photo face, but would love more complications.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Dave posted:

I just got Dark Sky but how do you get the complication that is the precipitation graph?

I've never seen the graph show in a complication, and it's only present in the watch app view when there's rain predicted within the hour.

I'm a bigger fan of Weather Underground's watch app view. I just wish they'd fix their large complication.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

While were on the topic of weather apps, anyone tried carrot weather? Debating between that and dark sky but the annual fee turns me off hard, tiny as it may be

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Don't need a weather app to know which way the wind blows.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Carrot weather copies the API of dark sky, adds Reddit humor and makes you pay for it, forever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pissflaps posted:

Don't need a weather app to know which way the wind blows.
-- from Subterranean Homestuck Goons

Also it could be my location (town of about 120K pop) but I find Dark Sky to be terribly inaccurate as far as precipitation goes.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Also it could be my location (town of about 120K pop) but I find Dark Sky to be terribly inaccurate as far as precipitation goes.

This is a good point. Some areas are simply too dynamic to forecast correctly, or have too many microclimates within its boundaries.

For that reason, if you know that weather websites suck in your area, weather apps likely will as well (they all piggyback on major modeling packages like the GFS or Euro).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We get some odd weather movement (valley + riverfork + plains, that sort of thing), but Dark Sky isn't even close a lot of times. I'm talking "it will start raining in 3 minutes" when the sky is cloudless for a 30 mile radius levels of wrong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

We get some odd weather movement (valley + riverfork + plains, that sort of thing), but Dark Sky isn't even close a lot of times. I'm talking "it will start raining in 3 minutes" when the sky is cloudless for a 30 mile radius levels of wrong.

It would constantly tell me it would rain here in Central Valley, CA during the worst of our drought.:lol:

The stock app has always been much accurate.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So apparently the latest updated for WatchOS is bricking (not my wording choice) watches. I assume it'll get pulled and replaced or whatever soon. (Just S2 watches, apparently.)

I'm holding off.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Feenix posted:

So apparently the latest updated for WatchOS is bricking (not my wording choice) watches. I assume it'll get pulled and replaced or whatever soon. (Just S2 watches, apparently.)

I'm holding off.

There seems to be a vocal minority of red exclamation points every round of updates. I suspect a lot of them either didnt heed the warnings to keep your watch in range and on the charger, or just wanted an AppleCare swap.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Is there any hope of a S2 38mm in gold/Concrete Gray before Christmas? My wife decided she wanted one for Christmas so looking around they seem to be out of stock everywhere. What is the better option; order on apple.com and hope shipping times bump up before January 4th, or hit the Apple Stores up on the regular hoping for a miracle?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Is there any hope of a S2 38mm in gold/Concrete Gray before Christmas? My wife decided she wanted one for Christmas so looking around they seem to be out of stock everywhere. What is the better option; order on apple.com and hope shipping times bump up before January 4th, or hit the Apple Stores up on the regular hoping for a miracle?
Here is what I would do:

1) Order from Apple.com as a backup. Worst case you will get it by January 4 disappointing your wife, but potentially earlier. They don't charge until they ship and orders can be canceled right up until they start preparing for shipment. (Worst case, you can return within 14 days for a full refund - this *may* be extended for holiday shopping, as well.)

2) Check istocknow.com first thing in the morning and you should be able to buy on Apple.com for in-store pickup. It's how I got mine back in October. No idea where you live, but looks like there's a few available around the country.

3) Check other retailers like Target and Best Buy that have current inventory on their websites. (There may be others but you'll have to research.)

4) Be willing to settle for the nylon strap and buy the sport band separately. The nylon straps are really nice. (You can always buy the nylon and return it if a sport band comes up.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 14, 2016

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That is very helpful - thank you for the advice! I'm in the salt lake area and there are three Apple Stores within ~40 miles.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

I'm holding off.
Interesting. When I go into look for the update, it refreshes, says there is an update but very quickly disappears and says I'm on the latest version (3.1).

So maybe it has been pulled?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

dexter6 posted:

Interesting. When I go into look for the update, it refreshes, says there is an update but very quickly disappears and says I'm on the latest version (3.1).

So maybe it has been pulled?

This is what I think, too. I am on 3.1 and see no update.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

It was pulled. Looking forward to 3.1.1.1.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Works fine on my watch, wontfix.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I updated to 3.1.1 on 2 watches, worked fine for me. Looking forward to next update.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is very helpful - thank you for the advice! I'm in the salt lake area and there are three Apple Stores within ~40 miles.

In an interesting turn of events I checked that istock website and it showed up in stock at the closest Apple Store to me. When I looked earlier at ~noon it was definitely not in stock. Checked against the Apple Store app and found it showed as available for in store pickup as well so I hopped in the car and thirty minutes later I had the exact watch I was wanting to get for Mrs Heroic. :iia:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

The update bricked my watch.

Took it to the Apple Store, they said they had to send it to a depot for up to 2 weeks. Said not happy with that, chatted to a manager, full refund onto my credit card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Didn't get a chance to break my watch. drat you, Tim.

• Locked thread