Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

I'm going to buck the trend and say under $2000 with almost all of the margin on the watch and not the gold. The $5,000+ figures are based on jeweler/watch maker markups, Apple will make it up on volume and I think that is why it is freaking the high end watch makers out, Apple is going to disrupt the high end watch market.

I think this is true, but really when you get a high end watch, you have it for the rest of your life. How long can you really expect the Apple Watch model you buy to last? Platforms change so quick, iOS updates will eventually EOF your model. Then what do you do? Not to mention the battery won't last more than a few years with out losing most of it's capacity? This isn't like an "Apple is doomed post", I'm just legit curious how they will handle those items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah that has me really scratching my head as well. Who is dumb enough to spend 10k on a watch that is going to be outdated and replaced a year from now? And reselling will be harder than with an iPhone/iPad because the watch market is smaller, the askin price will be higher, and you have to find someone that wants the watch the way you customiZed it.

I would honestly be happy if apple didn't release a watch every year.

Maybe they will make it so the band's always fit even with future generations, so you can save some money that way? Though if any form factor changes down the line that could impact that.

In their initial conference about they said something along the lines of "we made the watch with a standard lug, no one else has done that before" and I was like "uh...doesn't like every watch in the world use the same pins?"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Regarding the Apple Watch. One question I have, that I haven't looked for an answer to, is does the screen stay always on, or does it turn on when you swing your arm like Android Wear? Also does it have a low power ambient mode too?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

The Glimpse feature suggests it turns off most of the time except when you look at it or are actively use it, though I haven't heard of an ambient mode.

Suggests?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ShoogaSlim posted:

This was asked of me two pages ago when I said that there are some features that make the watch seem like it would be cool to own (at around 350 bucks maybe and 1000+ definitely not).

I live in NYC and I'm constantly listening to music with headphones on walking around. Every time I get a text or need to check how many more blocks away something is or relying on Siri to understand when I ask her to play an obscurely named Powerviolence band are all things that the Watch could remedy. Glance down at my watch - the coffee shop I'm on my way to is two more blocks up and to the left. If I'm out for a run and I want to change music I can do it more precisely on my Watch than I could with Siri, and instead of pulling my phone out of my pocket with sweaty hands and fumbling with the screen.

These may seem terribly specific but I can only speak from my own experiences, not everyone will find these same things useful at all. I feel that the inherent usefulness of the Apple Watch will be to limit the amount of time you spend using your phone for really quick actions. I've recently become one of those "I should try and stare at my phone less" people so while I'd still be looking at a device, I would be doing so with more specificity. Some people are in the camp of "oh it's just two seconds who gives a poo poo?" But all of those two-second interactions add up.

I live in NJ and work in NYC too, I had a Moto360 for a while, and it was really fantastic to be able to just glance at the watch and see/control music, as well as a see and respond to texts. I'm constantly terrified that if I pull my phone out of my pocket someone will bump into me and knock it out of my hand and break it. I've had my headphones hooked several times by people walking past and my phone yanked out of my pocket, I use bluetooth headphones with a status display now, but it was really nice having everything on my wrist. I also sent quite a few texts and emails with it. I biked with it (although not often because of the leather band) and it was really cool to see directions on it.

That said, the watch was really neat, but it just felt to 1st generation so I returned it, hoping to maybe see if gen 2 is better.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

I think I would've had a better use case for it while I was still in college and had, you know, a life. Instructors took great offense to you pulling out your phone to even glance at it, but you can look at your watch whenever, and at least for a while a glance at a smart watch probably won't be seen differently. The subtle alarms and such probably are nice for that, too. And yeah you're always rushing around and having wrist directions seems like it could be useful in that context.

I do like that you can have shazam on there. Although I guess now that siri identifies songs by voice command, it's not as necessary.

Or you could, you know, like pay attention in class and not have to be constantly checking to see what your worthless friends are eating for lunch on IG every fifteen seconds.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

Sure thing Dad.

I know, right, respect is so old fashioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Walked posted:

Yup; waking up at 3am EST.

I just want a 38mm sport for replying to texts while out on long bike rides. :unsmith:

All the other fuss is no big deal; ti'll improve with software updates and new generations of hardware for sure.

Seriously, from one long distance biker to another, please just pull over. You are going to get yourself killed and perpetuate the cars v bike war we have going on. If you were at a red light and saw a driver talking to his watch instead of paying attention you'd flip out.

• Locked thread