Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can't wait to buy one of these to try and fill the hole in my soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

$350 for the low end is ridiculous.

I'm surprised it's that cheap since Fuelbands were loving $300.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Devil Tesla posted:

Why are you guys still talking about watches when their laptop stuff is honestly like loving shocking. They apparently believe so much in the new, non-clicky, Force Touch trackpad that they didn't just put it in the new macbook but in the retina Macbook Pros as well. I'm really curious about how it feels if it's not just good for a thin laptop, but apparently better than what already was the best trackpad in any laptop. Really loving skeptical but there are some new features in the trackpad (like vibrating when you snap something into place) that I guess they wanted all their retina laptops to do. It looks like the butterfly switches aren't making it over to the pros however, which makes me less excited about how those feel.

That's actually really cheap for what amounts to a one plug dock (you used to pay hundreds for something like that), and a different company will probably make a cooler and more cost effective one.

Yeah I'm really interested to see what both the keyboard and trackpad are like in person. I was really skeptical when they eliminated the button from the bottom of the trackpad but once I got used to it I pretty much couldn't go back so maybe it's the same sort of thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

To add to this, if you took other 18kt gold watches to a gold shop they would give you a lot more money for it than for an Edition Apple Watch because it's loving fake gold.

However it'd be a bad idea to take either to the gold shop since they're both worth more than their gold content alone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm not even sure Rolex is the right comparison. The price on other prestige watches that are a tier lower than Rolex-or even lower-hasn't gone down and the companies making them haven't gone out of business. These watches don't have the same resale value or reputation of reliability as Rolexes yet there's still clearly a market for them.

And beyond that, things brands of watches that used to be on department store racks for $100 now make and sell models in the $500-$1000 range. It's hard to not acknowledge that far fewer people are buying watches, but it seems to me like the people who are buying them must be buying more and paying more for them, despite the fact we're living in an age where a watch is almost useless. I feel more like Apple is going after Ecko and Fossil than anything.

I do think that Apple watches can fail. But I think if they do it's not going to be because they didn't sell enough high ends models. I think if it flops it's because the Sport doesn't get any traction and then Apple doesn't have a lot of reason to continue to support the watches three years from now.

Rick fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 10, 2015

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm curious as to if it will tether to multiple phones. Probably not super likely, since number of people who walk around with two iphones in their pocket is pretty tiny (and I hate being apart of that subset) but if the device could unify notifications that would be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I live in NJ and work in NYC too, I had a Moto360 for a while, and it was really fantastic to be able to just glance at the watch and see/control music, as well as a see and respond to texts. I'm constantly terrified that if I pull my phone out of my pocket someone will bump into me and knock it out of my hand and break it. I've had my headphones hooked several times by people walking past and my phone yanked out of my pocket, I use bluetooth headphones with a status display now, but it was really nice having everything on my wrist. I also sent quite a few texts and emails with it. I biked with it (although not often because of the leather band) and it was really cool to see directions on it.

That said, the watch was really neat, but it just felt to 1st generation so I returned it, hoping to maybe see if gen 2 is better.

I think I would've had a better use case for it while I was still in college and had, you know, a life. Instructors took great offense to you pulling out your phone to even glance at it, but you can look at your watch whenever, and at least for a while a glance at a smart watch probably won't be seen differently. The subtle alarms and such probably are nice for that, too. And yeah you're always rushing around and having wrist directions seems like it could be useful in that context.

I do like that you can have shazam on there. Although I guess now that siri identifies songs by voice command, it's not as necessary.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Or you could, you know, like pay attention in class and not have to be constantly checking to see what your worthless friends are eating for lunch on IG every fifteen seconds.

Sure thing Dad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I might get one but also not at launch. I actually am waiting to see what is gonna happen with iOS 9 and if I'm staying with the iphone or not (probably am but just want to be sure).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I actually don't think this is remotely true, but don't have the data to back it up.

Basing things on the resale market is a little dangerous because maybe everyone just loves their cellular ipads so much they aren't selling them, but, they're relatively rare compared to wifi ipads which suggests to me that it's possible that wifi ipads are a lot more popular.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

smoobles posted:

Anyone else considering getting one just for the heart rate monitor? I've been through three Bluetooth HR chest straps in a year. They always seem to work great until they spontaneously die for no reason (they steadily have like 2.5 - 3 stars on Amazon for that reason)

Hope Apple can do it right.

Yeah, just the fact that strapless heartrate monitors all seem to be in the $200 range is probably part of how I'd justify the purchase to myself if I decide to go for it. The truth will be I have a gadget-sized hole in my heart but whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

banana allergy posted:

Alcohol based cleaners (like the stuff they probably use at the Apple Stores) wear the matte finish off. I don't think alcohol made for drinking would do this, but I don't use a sport band or spill things all over myself so I can't confirm.

You're missing out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Couldn't you just change the media type to music in iTunes?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I consume dozens unfortunately. But maybe changing 2-3 for you to have on a run or something isn't too bad, even if not ideal.

I was doing this for an early shuffle I had, that during a certain period was unable to have podcasts sycned to it because the early shuffle was pre-podcast-media-type and when iTunes went hardline about media types, for a few months of the beta it wouldn't sync podcasts over unless they were changed to music media type.

I guess it was pretty annoying though since I ended up buying a newer shuffle rather than keep dealing with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I guess its a cultural thing.
My country has no relationship to Mickey at all. We have however had a weekly comic book of Donald Duck since the mid 40s, which has got to be one of the worlds longest running comic book series.

If you're curious, here is a brief history on Mickey Mouse watches: http://www.wdwfacts.com/2015/08/14/the-mickey-mouse-watch-a-quick-history/

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I am reading google that apparently the nylon band smells bad and is hard to clean after some wear according to some users. Is this experience typical or are these people particularly gross?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Having owned the watch for exactly a week I have had such vastly different battery experiences that I really don't know what to expect.

My thought is that I only got about 10 hours on Day 2 because I was on a road trip through North Eastern Arizona and spent several hours in areas with no internet which sometimes fucks with things.

Other days I've had 70% after wearing the watch like 18 hours. I also updated the OS and maybe the box OS wasn't as efficient with battery.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BoyBlunder posted:

Or if you want to sleep track, just charge while you're in the shower. A quick 20-30m charge a day is enough to keep it going.

Does it automatically track your sleep if you use bedtime? Or do you need an ap?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My favorite band is the Nike band for sure, at least for comfort and lack of smell. I don't have the more expensive bands, though (although I have a whole lot of cheap knock offs, which usually range from "okay" to "good" on the comfort scale. I guess it's hard to do a watch band poorly).

BoyBlunder posted:

I use an app, AutoSleep, and sleep detection is automatic.

Cool, I might check it out.

skull mask mcgee posted:

AutoSleep is so good at telling me how poorly I sleep :saddowns:

Way back in the day I used to use the app where you stuck your phone under your bedcover and I basically only sleep two hours a night according to that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Steel is obviously better but aluminum is fine. Just pick what you can afford.

I spent a lot of time reading about this for the six months before I finally was able to get my watch and this is the general conclusion (with a few rare people liking aluminum more).

I decided to get the aluminum now in case I hated wearing a watch and it didn't take, with the plan to get steel next time I upgrade, if I do.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm guessing that due to the posts about the Now Playing app earlier in the thread there is no way to get it without turning off the pop-up face?

Also is there something to replace the twitter app? It sucked quite a bit but once in a while I'd attempt to scroll through my timeline and I wouldn't mind something like that which was just mindless, mostly pointless text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

japtor posted:

I keep it in the Dock so pretty sure you can pin it in there, and if it's like before it should automatically be there when you have some media playing.

Hm, seems to be the case if I'm using airpods but not if I'm using regular headphones. Oh well I'll pin it there, I had it pinned before but that went away in the new ios.

• Locked thread