Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
The biggest thing holding me back on this (and any smart watch really) is battery life. Charging my phone every night is something I've come to accept, but I'm not sure I'll be able to handle that on a watch. I wear mine every day, and I expect it to tell me the time 24/7. Maybe if they figure out a way to extend the battery with the charge generated by humans I'll grab one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

rear end Catchcum posted:

What's the expected battery life or do we not know that yet

Something tells me it won't be weeks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

rear end Catchcum posted:

Even the pebble only lasts a week

So? I don't own one.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

I wear my Fitbit to bed, occasionally I will pass out with my Wear or Pebble on but end up getting up in the night and taking it off. I just can't see people sleeping with something bigger than the Charge nor wanting to.

I've slept with a large watch on for the past decade. It's something you just get used to.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Reverse Centaur posted:

Stuff grows everywhere in temperate rainforests. If you keep something pressed against your skin 24/7 when it's near 100% humidity all the time, it's gonna get nasty. Basically the human version of this

Yikes. I'm glad I live in the desert!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I likely won't be buying a smart watch until its pedometer/exercise features are almost on par with the dedicated units like Fitbit or Jawbone. I recently bought a Fitbit Charge HR and I am pretty taken with it, and I actually find it's linking to the phone and telling me about my incoming calls more useful than I thought it would be. Having a smart watch would be great, but for the cost of an Apple Watch I don't really want to be wearing two units.

You realize the fitbit isn't completely accurate either, right? This has just as much of a chance of being equally semi-accurate.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

illcendiary posted:

Sounds like it's literally only on Apple TV.

I doubt that will last long.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
They should have just made a press release about this research thing.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Chortle posted:

You must be new to Apple events.

Nope, they just need to change.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kobayashi posted:

You must be a hit a parties.

Yes...I see the connection.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Does this mean the air is going away?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I can't wait to see children using force touch. HULK SMASH TOUCHPAD!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm not sure how the boarding pass will work. All of the airports I've been to have the scanner facing almost straight up, or slightly pointed towards the TSA agent. Do I need to twist my wrist around really awkwardly to make it scan?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
$399, I'm buying it!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait till the extra $100 for steel.

+$50 for man size. :(

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
$10k hahahahahha

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Watch comes out April 24th, I wonder when preorder is.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rabble posted:

Solid gold is extremely malleable, drat thing is going to melt from the heat of the processor.

Just buy another one when it stops working.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

gret posted:

People pay as much if not more than that for a regular watch that just tells time. And not even fancy Swiss watches with automatic movements but plain old quartz watches.

Watches can last decades, so the price comparison doesn't mean much.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mister Macys posted:

I was at work, how much are the three watches?

$350-$17,000

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Mister Macys posted:

:eyepop:

What the gently caress, is the glass made of a single loving diamond?

It's Apple's sorta-gold with a "bright red modern buckle."

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-watch/apple-watch-edition?product=MJ3G2LL/A&step=detail

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Three Olives posted:

Who doesn't take their watch off at night?

Many people don't take their watches off at night. Not everyone has big annoying watches.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

The sport model is the cheapest and therefore the best model for people who want it exclusively as a fitness tracker. It's not marketed as "rugged" and definitely not as a swimming watch, so I'm not really sure what you're rambling about.

Sports generally require a certain level of "ruggedness", so it probably shouldn't have the word sport attached to it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

Yeah and that's exactly why I posted a link to an SPI belt. They're fully elastic - including the pouch you put your phone in - so it's held snug and flush against your waist. I can jump up and down and my phone won't move at all. I've been using mine for over a year now and heaps of my runner friends have gone out and bought their own after trying mine.

I can't get over the fact that it's a fanny pack with a tighter fit. I'll stick with my arm band, it doesn't bother me.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Rick posted:

Yeah, just the fact that strapless heartrate monitors all seem to be in the $200 range is probably part of how I'd justify the purchase to myself if I decide to go for it. The truth will be I have a gadget-sized hole in my heart but whatever.

Here's one with 4.5 stars for $80.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QSRQ0R6?psc=1

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

(and not that they're delivering the best that's technologically possible while still maintaining their desired form factors, prices point and profit margins)

Unfortunately their crazy profit margins have hampered their ability to deliver the latest technology has to offer. There was some pretty crazy battery technology at CES (organic batteries, 2,000 mAh recharge in 3 minutes!), but it would eat up so much money. I understand that they have shareholders to answer to, but so much more could be done if they cut those margins.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Not really. My biggest complaint about Apple stores are that the employees won't leave me alone. I understand a few of them asking if I need help with something, but it's usually every few minutes, usually the same couple of people.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

shodanjr_gr posted:

So just tell the Apple store person that you don't need help and you're just trying the thing on? Also, I'm not sure what kinds of Apple Stores you guys do your shopping in, but I've been in 4-5 of them around the US and never, not once, had one of the employees feel in any way pushy or try to annoyingly upsell me.

Apparently I find the stores that often have as many employees as customers in the store at the same time. I've had the pushy thing in all stores I've been in except for one, and this is across 7 states.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

shodanjr_gr posted:

Other watches have 1/10th of the functionality and features that are on the drat things don't actually work (e.g. I have not read a single review of an Android Wear device which said that the heart rate sensor operated correctly and/or was in any way useful).

My Moto 360 HR monitor was almost as accurate as my chest strap (which I hated wearing), and it synced with my fitness apps. What else would I need it for other than fitness?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

it shows in every aspect of the product.

Except for the part where it looks like a computer strapped to your wrist.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

Those are two entities not qualified to talk about fashion. I am referring to fashion-centric publications and watchbloggers.

Just because a publication doesn't write exclusively about a subject doesn't mean they aren't qualified to report on it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

Not that in and of itself, but this:

is not qualified to write about fashion.

And the WSJ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

They don't write about fashion, though their review was closer to doing so in comparison to the rest of the tech press.

The fashion section of their website says otherwise. I think you need to accept the fact that some people might have differing opinions, and just because they don't line up with the majority doesn't mean they're wrong. Fashion is subjective, not a scientific report. People can have opposite opinions and both be equally right.

• Locked thread