Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

When I call up my ISP with a problem that could not possibly be with my computers or routers because it happened to every device simultaneously and without any settings being changed, but they make me run tests on three different devices and reboot everything (even though obviously that was the first thing I tried) and reset my router to default settings so I have to go and set it back up again afterwards before finally admitting that yes, there is an issue on their end and they'll look into it.

I realise that some people will call up with problems that they have created themselves or without first attempting to turn everything off and on again, but did we really need to run the speed test on a wired connection and on both the 5GHz and the 2.4GHz wifi connections just to establish that yes, my upload speed is drastically lower than it should be?

I got a perfect 100/10 speed after I had ordered 500/50. I had to call in five times before I got someone who understood that they had the wrong product on my connection. Every time I had to restart everything and run speed tests with my PC wired directly to the cable modem. The first four just ran technical checks on my line, which of course came out perfect and they closed the case. One of them said that since I had 5 devices, each of them would get 100 mbit each. I had to request the recording of that one, but my ISP doesn't record calls. I almost cried when I got the last guy and he actually understood what the problem was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

karoshi posted:

"Deep dive" no, your 19 minutes YouTube magnum opus is not a "deep dive" into the plug socket. gently caress off calling what's at most a Wikipedia article's TLDR "deep". I expect at least 3 semesters of material if you want to call your content "deep dive". Even better, never use that cursed expression ever again. And it's always used for the most superficial crap "PC connectors deep dive: learn to tell a HDMI port from a USB port", gently caress off!

My man, have you heard of Technology Connections?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Gonna be a more light-hearted one but it still annoys me...

Why is it that every year, every Christmas, people fawn over Die Hard but completely overlook Gremlins? I get that we have the old classics like It's a Wonderful Life or MIracle on 34th Street, but drat if I don't love a weird, twisted movie with a holiday theme mixed in.

Batman Returns

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I swear to God I keep coming up with recipe peeves. Here's a new one! Is there some new thing where the genius recipe writer doesn't tell you the actual quantities to use unless you scroll all the way to the loving bottom?!

It was bad enough when recipes started telling you their life story before telling you how to make the thing, now they don't even tell you HOW to actually do it unless you scroll through the detailed instructions and all the links to their other poo poo and subscribe to my blog or whatever the gently caress oh and here at the VERY BOTTOM OF THE PAGE here's the simple list of what quantities of ingredients you need.

Because I loving HATE IT.

Not to call out this recipe in particular because I'm sure it's by far not the only offender but imagine having to navigate THIS on your phone while on slow-rear end hotel wifi when you're on vacation and just wanting to try out a local recipe and you will understand my frustration! I didn't even realize the actual quantities were there at all. Ended up making the dang thing twice just by guessing how much of each thing to use!

Pretty sure there are browser plugins that will fix this, but don't know if that will help you on your phone.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've been jumping in and out of Twitch the last week to watch AGQD, and every single ad break was for Echo on Disney Plus. I already have Disney Plus, I have no more ways to give you money to watch the show. I'm also watching on a device where I'm logged in to Disney Plus, your datamining operation should take that into consideration when you auction off my profile to the highest bidder to show me ads and cough up an ad for something I don't already own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

People who don't know that tilting is part of playing pinball.

I go to some bars that have pinball tables in them and I get it, you want people to keep pumping coins into them so you set the tilt sensor really sensitive. But as someone who practiced on tables set more reasonably (I guess you could say 'for competition play'), I'm in the habit of moving the table around a bit.

Its frustrating but whatever, that's not really the part that ticks me off. What ticks me off is when patrons say stuff like "whoa cowboy" or bartenders tell me to knock it off. One owner told me to "just get good" when I calmly described how some tables have their sensors set differently and that tilting is generally considered part of the game among pinheads.

I'm no wizard, but I'm better than the average person at pinball. I worked in an arcade bar for a few years, it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.

I hate it when I go to work in the morning and the other commuters don't respect that I'm a race car driver.