Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

credburn posted:

God drat I hate that poo poo.

When I worked for T-Mobile, we had three systems (billing, the database, and the main interface) that each required passwords. Each system had to have a unique password; you couldn't use the same password in two systems. Every 90 days a new password had to be created. The new password could NOT contain ANY of the passwords you previously used. So like, you couldn't have password followed by password1 followed by password2, etc.

All this meant was that every single person's computer had a post-it note where all their passwords were written down, defeating the entire purpose of it all.

My old job had a very similar set of systems, with the tweak that one reset every 90 days, one every 60, and one every 45, so you couldn't even sync them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

You can buy that poo poo prepared at the store.

ban this filth

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

My girlfriend gets served up those back-and-forth videos on TikTok all the time and they drive me up the wall. Its always a huge multi-part STDH spiel about someone very calm and polite who works in hairdressing and their absolutely horrible moron of a client. I hate it enough when a story is filled with obvious lies and embellishments in a real life conversation-- Why anyone would willingly stick around to hear the whole thing is beyond me.

I recently said something to this extent to my partner, who said "yeah i agree i hate those too," to which I asked "so why do you keep watching them in their entirety??" to which she said "idk lol"

:mad:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The modern online video approach of doing subtitles a single word at a time is poo poo.

How else am I gonna fit all those words in my vertical video where I talk a mile a minute?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Sorry, if the doctor didn't write down the magic spell, your symptoms aren't real.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why does every URL now cost like $15,000. Why does ICANN allow this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

I've always hated "know what I'm saying" and "not gonna lie." Both of these seem to have by now just been interjections one just says without thinking about what they mean, but both of these took a long time for me to not get hung up on.

"I'm just doing some laundry, know what I'm saying?" It sounds like you're doing laundry! But now I can't help but wonder if there's a hidden message.

"I'm just doing some laundry, not gonna lie." It sounds like a reasonable thing to do, why would I assume you're lying? But now I wonder if you are lying.

Honestly, I have to admit, you know?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

You know that ubiquitous symbol that means "external link"? A box with an arrow out of the top right corner? There's no Unicode symbol for that. Literally every time you see that symbol, it's not text, it is an embedded graphic. Very dumb.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am an American living in Canada, so while I pay most of my taxes in Canada, I owe the US a pittance each year. This year I owe the IRS $71.

In Canada, if you want to pay taxes to the government, you enter "the government" in the bill pay section of your online bank, enter you SIN, and pay.

In America, you have to enter your entire life's history on a web form, which refuses to validate, so you have to sign up to pay $5 to some company to let you pay with a credit card, only to find out that they need the same life history and also can't validate it, so you try to sign up for an IRS account but they need a scan of your passport but you can't upload it from your computer you have to use your phone and they need a picture of your face for "liveness detection" but their app isn't compatible with your default web browser so you have to restart the process in a different browser and then since you don't have a US address you actually have to schedule a video call and submit two additional forms of identity verification. And, presumably, this is going to fail too for some inscrutable reason.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Microsoft is doing the same with Office365. Documents are ephemeral, they're saved somewhere (OneDrive or SharePoint) but the apps do their damnedest to obfuscate that fact. Saving to the local machine is an option, but a scary popup comes up and says you might lose your work if you do so. It's bad and it's only going to get worse.

A great side-effect of this is that none of my boomer clients knows how to attach a file to a loving email anymore. Everything is a MS365-generated "share" link that I don't have permissions to access and they can't give me permissions to access because they aren't the "document owner".

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Every time I paste text in Google Slides, it adds two carriage returns after whatever I pasted. Why. Why would I ever want that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I am peeved when corporate folks just mangle their metaphors horribly. Today I was told (read): "Friction holds us back. Frictionless propels us forward." Somebody doesn't know what happens to wheels in a low-friction environment!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

My pet peeve is the word "populism." It seems to be entirely a tool for saying "policies people like" but in a bad way. Did we lose track of the idea that adopting policies that are broadly popular is the loving point of democracy, or did we just finally accept that the US isn't a democracy, or...?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Riatsala posted:

Flying an airline where everyone gets two checked bags for free and still everyone's fighting for a place to put their carry-on. Why do you need 30 pounds of poo poo for a 2 hour flight? Check that bag and get a backpack that fits under the seat. I mean, if you have a lovely boarding group it's probably going to get gate checked anyway.

It's because of all the earlier people who put their coats in the carryon zone and slammed the door on a half-full compartment.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

If your side rear-view mirror is angled so far in that I can read your lips from directly behind you, you need to angle it out more. Your center mirror is already showing you what's directly behind you, the side mirror is supposed to show you what's behind you and to the side!

Hold music shouldn't exist, and ABSOLUTELY shouldn't be interrupted every 40 seconds by a smarmy message telling me how much my time is valued and advertising some new service. These things combined make it all but impossible to do anything else for the 60-90 minutes that I am on hold, unless it requires literally zero attention at all. Just give me a low tone, or at the most something extremely slow and ambient.

Muscle Tracer has a new favorite as of 15:09 on May 2, 2024

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Why are there so many image filetypes now, and why do they have such janky, uneven support distribution. I'm sure a webp is 1% smaller in filesize than a jpeg or something, but how have they been around for YEARS and still aren't supported by things like Google Slides or Imgur?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The "introduction" to a book should be written with the assumption you haven't yet read it. Don't tell me how the book ends in the second sentence of your intro, Daryl!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The best though is when absolutely none of these rules are actually shown to you, you just get a text pop-up about whichever is the first in the list that your password didn't meet, over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

what the gently caress is up with websites and apps calling things GIFs when they are actually just MP4s with awful resolution