Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People that don't answer their phone if they don't recognize the number.

Pros of answering:
It could be an emergency!
It could be a telemarketer and you tell them "no" and they stop calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!
Literally, could be ANYTHING!

Cons of answering:

You're out 3 seconds because you can unilaterally end the call if its something you don't want or care about.

Now lets look at the other side!

Pros of NOT Answering:
You get to listen to your ring tone or phone vibrate for 11 seconds! What fun!

Cons of NOT Answering:
It could be an emergency!
It could be a telemarketer and you don't get tell them "no" and they keep calling!
Could be someone you know, setting something up, but from a work phone or some such!
Literally, could be ANYTHING!

Answer your loving phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why would you assume i meant they were reporting the emergency to you? What world is that? How do you know it's not the police or hospital calling you after 911 has been called?

Again refer to the pro con list. Negatives you're out like...3 seconds.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well, not necessarily. Like other people have mentioned, the biggest reason I don't answer unrecognized phone numbers is because of the whole telemarketing trick where an answered call is flagged as a valid number to call incessantly and aggressively at all hours of the day for the next 2 to 3 weeks until they move on to the next batch of people to harass.

Having worked as a sales person if I call a number and it's never answered it'd still valid.

If i call and you say no, gently caress you, it is no longer valid.

When you ignore it, it keeps your number as "valid" since they know it's real and has never received a "no".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Scoofles posted:

My friend is an extreme case of a person who never answers the phone. Last week she texted me to come over as she had an electrician coming to her house and she didn't want to be alone with a stranger. Fair enough, I head on over and we wait for him to arrive. Her phone starts ringing and she's standing there with it in her hand but won't answer it. 'It's probably the electrician' I tell her, as he's late and her house can be hard to find. She still refused to pick up, saying something like 'Well it might be him... But how can I be sure?' The electrician did eventually show up and said he had gotten lost and had tried calling as he desperately needed directions, my friend lied and said she never heard her phone ring.

This post makes me super angry. What the gently caress is with your friend? Are her 3 seconds of a "wrong number" MORE IMPORTANT than the 30 minutes the electrician wasted trying to find the place? She's a fuckin' dick.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Perhaps "discovered" was the wrong word to use, but there's certainly something going on where answering the phone causes some sort of switch to flip where you get hit up with a bunch of calls in the immediate future, and not answering the mystery calls doesn't.

No, the other poster is correct. If it rings, its valid. The only way to be taken off is by answering and saying NO. If you don't answer you're still a "lead". So answer your phone and save yourself some time. The robo calls are poo poo though, so nothing you can do about that other than calling back the company.

HOLY gently caress posted:

I don't care whether you answer your phone or not but you'd better have your loving voicemail set up if you don't :argh:
And lastly this. Your entire argument falls apart if you have no voicemail set up.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When people on the forums go into a topical thread and say something like

"If there is interest, I'll post a really interesting and in depth post about [topic or thread title]".

Goddam, of course there is interest, it's why people are tuned in! Post it!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Related to the above post, I always put my team winning every time if they make it in. People legit get MAD at me for doing it. So now I'm mad at them. Like, yeah, I know, I get it. its a bracket and I'm in no way going to win. But who gives a poo poo, its FUN. Don't get all sports analyst on me over this free piece of paper.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My wife does this as well as coworkers, and I think its just part of human nature:

When people defend bad things because they like the environment or who the thing/idea originated from. Folks will look at something and complain about it, but put that SAME scenario within the confines of family or a supervisor and suddenly that "terrible idea" is now something we have to work together on. Its so two faced and inconsistent and I hate it.

For my wife its the dang cat. The cat ate her new roses and threw up all over the place and made this huge mess. "Dawww its OK", but if the same thing happens like I knock over the roses, or she makes a huge mess with something its grounds to be upset and start cleaning it up.

At work the same people will complain about how many hours they have to work, but oh ho ho ho its time to work overtime and the supervisor says we should and its "alright team lets get it together and do some OT yay!".

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is literally no benefit to smoking outside of a few minutes of socialization. Otherwise it's garbage, harmful, and smells terrible. Throwing it on the floor or out the window of the car is just a gently caress you to society.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Sometimes I feel like I can't win with people.

I run a marathon. "You're going to destroy your knees! You'll break your hips and have a heart attack and DIE!!!!" My knees are fine. You know whose knees are not fine? Couch potatoes.

I start skydiving. "How can you jump out of a perfectly good plane?! What if your chute malfunctions? What if your BACKUP malfunctions?! What if you die what if what if what if?!?!?!" What if you are texting and driving and slam into someone and your seat belt breaks and your airbag explodes in your face and you die? These are things that are more likely than BOTH of my canopies failing on the same jump.

I want to apply to USAF JAG. "THE MILITARY IS FULL OF LIES THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED AND YOU WILL DIE HOW DARE YOU?!" Pretty sure the USAF JAG has had zero fatalities while on duty, but whatever, I've aged out so you win that one.

I move across the country. "But we will never see you waaaah!!!" There are these things called planes, just because you get on them doesn't mean you have to jump out.

I date someone who is not blindingly white. "But interracial relationships have XYZ problems, you'll be shunned by society, what will your grandmother think?" She is fine with it. Grammy's pretty chill, actually.

I do not get married. "But EVERY girl gets married!! Don't you want to have a big beautiful wedding?" No.

I do not have children. "But EVERY girl wants children! One day you're going to be sick of looking at germs under a microscope and want to have a couple of germs of your own! When the right guy comes along, you'll change your mind!" Did you ever stop to think for a minute that the right guy might not want kids either? Or that, perhaps, the right guy might be a girl?

I eat some tofu. "Plants feel pain too, you know!!" I'm sure they do, hey wait, which of us has earned a science degree? Oh wait, that's ME and I can tell you, no they do not, but cows, pigs and chickens do.

I don't weigh 200 pounds. "You need to eat a sandwich! What's that, a SALAD? What, are you on a DIET or something? You're already so SKIN-neeeee!" God forbid someone actually enjoy eating vegetables.

I know a lot of this comes from ignorance and complacence, and I'm trying to be patient, but if I hear "perfectly good plane" or "eat a sandwich" or "why would you want to do that?" again, I may lose my temper. Sadly, many of these bon mots have come from my dear mother, who I love very much, but it's getting really old.

ETA: I own a gun, too. Hilariously this is much more likely to get me killed than skydiving (although it's locked up in a safe and kept unloaded), but that's tooootally okay with the fam.

You need some new friends, god drat.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aerofallosov posted:

Or if you're sorting fish and moths.

I have yet to get them to accept wearing little bows and nail polish.

As for my pet peeve, I've been looking for my cat. And an alarming number of people told me to give up - it's just a cat or joke that their dog probably ate it LOL!

Yeah, real loving funny, rear end in a top hat. gently caress you and your loving huge rear end, untrained, barking and assholish pitbull. The stupid thing barks all day and night, lunges at the fence and has succeeded in tipping over entire sections of the fence going after kids, squirrels, other dogs and passing cats, but you do NOTHING ABOUT IT. I hope it eats your stupid face off between joking it ate my missing cat or threatening people with it (or even telling us it probably ate the pomeranian in the missing posters because poms are WUSS DOGS LOL!). What is it about people who massively neglect an animal then act like it's the best thing EVER?

Both you and your neighbor are correct. You let your cat outside unattended, it should be gone. And they own a pitbull, they should be executed.

A pet peeve I've developed, particularly at my workplace (which I'll probably post a rage thread about when i get fired/quit) is when folks hold others to a different standard on dress/timeliness/production than themselves.
"Look ya'll, you need to be here at 7 ON THE DOT, and be working! Now excuse me, its 7:10 and I need my coffee, brb in 20".

No. gently caress you. No one respects that kind of attitude and it shows.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aerofallosov posted:

Actually, my cat got loose. :( She's crippled and likely had a brain injury while young. Sorry to disappoint you.

Did you notice I was upset because my indoor only cat escaped?

Edit: And yeah, people who ignore stuff about no smoking here or tons of places to throw the butts really suck. Thanks, I wanted an asthma attack from walking out the door.

I did miss that part, but I still am bias. My cat does the same thing, will always try to get outside and then as soon as he does, he flips out because there are animals and stuff in the neighboring yards. So instead of running back inside, he runs away and gets under the deck or some poo poo. If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd just leave him out there to die because gently caress an animal that tries to run away after i take care of him forever.

So thats my pet peeve, animals that run away and put themselves in precarious situations and then me being expected to feel sympathetic and be nice to fluffy wuffy.

Get a job, fluffy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lidnsya posted:

Can you just write your name in yourself? Or go directly to a teller and explain when you deposit it?

Also, Jastiger, you are biased, not bias incarnate, you sack of turds.

Did you not read the rest of my implied sentence? I have a bias is what I said. Jut imagine I wrote it in the correct syntax, OK :)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

AlphaKretin posted:

People (and things) who utterly refuse to say anything bad for any reason. This pops up a fair bit but the most recent example is the WiFi on my phone. There are four levels, I think "excellent", "very good", "good" and "fair", but "fair" is so loving bad the phone can't even maintain the connection for more than a second. That shouldn't even be showing up on the list, let alone be called fair. Who the gently caress are you going to offend by calling the connection to the free WiFi in the cafe across the road "poor"?

Same but for corporate work. "Ah, this is an opportunity to succeed!". Bitch, no, we just lost $1000 in sales because of a system issue. Being honest about the terrible problem we had isnt' being "negative", its being real and giving a serious problem the gravity that is due. I swear, so many things go unfixed, unmodified, or otherwise fester in a negative way because people refuse to be objective about how good or bad something is.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

lidnsya posted:

This is a really weird one I remembered today.

I can't stand people eating apples in public. Some guy on the bus was eating one today and it really pissed me off.
If I see that someone has an apple sitting on their desk or whatever or eating one at lunch, it grosses me out.
It's only apples, no other fruit bothers me like that.
It doesn't bother me if the apple is cut up and they are eating it in segments.

I personally love apples and would have no problem eating one in public myself, though I don't think I ever have.

Lidnsya, how come you always cut up your apples?

Our platoon was stuck in a trench outside New Kasmir during the winter campaign...More'n'a week, completely cut off and the Alliance entrenched not ten yards away. We even got to talking with 'em, yelling across insults and jokes and such, 'cause no ammo to speak of, no orders, what are you gonna do? We mentioned we were out of rations and ten minutes later a bunch 'a apples rained into the trench.
Captain said wait, but they were so hungry. Don't make much noise, just little pops and there's three guys kinda just end at the ribcage.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I know, I'm definitely in the minority here. People LOVE going out to dinner, or creating a beautiful meal at home, and I recognize that I'm weird about it. Probably at least part of it stems from my own eating issues. I certainly don't mind going out for people's birthdays--even if it's not something I would choose--because I have certainly dragged my friends out skydiving or to roller derby or arena football for MY birthday.

Things are better, honestly--I stopped having dinner with the boyfriend's parents all the time. The food his parents make is really good, high-quality food, but it's too rich, too much, and too much red meat for me to handle. So I started working late and staying out on the weekends (this happened organically because of work and hobbies, not so I could avoid eating) and he told them they should just go ahead and have meals without me. It's honestly made it a lot better now that I'm eating the food I want, on my own terms. And I'm not using it as an excuse to not eat--I usually have really big hearty lunches and was never much of a dinner person. I eat really healthy now (although occasionally will go nuts on a pizza or piece of cake), but not to orthorexia levels. Just a lot of salads, vegetables, lean protein, etc.

I'm not averse to eating--it's just a holdover from my disorder that if you remove all control from me (as in, making meals, setting portions, and getting mad if I don't eat it all), it doesn't go over well. Things are better now.

Anyway, sorry for the derail! I totally understand I'm the odd one here. I just am not a food person. Considering how "not a food person" is a step up from "anorexic," I'm okay with being weird.

I can understand how you'd enjoy going to dinner if you're used to doing all the food prep.

For content: There is this guy at work who's been a bit of a problem since day 1. I won't go into it because it's a long story, but one major peeve is he is on the phone ALL DAY. For reference, we do contracts--there's a lot of back and forth trading documents over email. We almost never get on the phone unless it's a conference call or we're experiencing a miscommunication via email that can easily be cleared up on the phone. I handle about 60 contracts on average, and most of them are complex, high-level, multi-million dollar clinical trials, and I only use my phone about once a day on average. But he calls every client and every external party about every contract he does--after he sends them the email containing the contract. For some reason he's not content waiting for an email response with edits--he HAS to call them right away and explain that he just sent them the contract, and that he wants to talk about the edits. Before they even have a chance to read it. He does this all day long, and he mumbles and rambles like a crazy old man, just loud enough to be distracting to everyone else. I can shut my door, but some of my coworkers don't have that luxury so they get to listen to him mumble on the phone all loving day. He's been asked multiple times to stop calling people all day long, but he still does it. This seems petty as I'm writing it, but in context (and I could write a book on all the other problems he's caused) it's just another reason I can't even deal with him right now.

Oh, and he's creepy. The shredder box is right outside my office. We have a fairly paperless office, almost everything is electronic, but he prints out everything he does and visits the shredder about ten times a day. Every time he does, he stares in my office and if I have the bad judgment to make eye contact he'll take that as an invitation to come and start a really intrusive conversation about what I'm doing, how is running going? Oh, I see you're eating your protein! (if I have food on my desk). Yeah I know my wife is all about the diet, I know about you women and your diets, hehehe, women amirite?

He just went to the shredder box as I wrote this. And he stared in to see if I would look up at him. I am managing to look like I am concentrating VERY hard on writing about this, so I certainly cannot be disturbed.

I'm not the only one who finds him creepy. If he wants to talk to you, he'll come to your office or cube, but he'll sneak up behind you to try to get a glimpse of your computer screen before saying hello. If I shut my door to get work done, as soon as I open it, he pounces "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING DID YOU GET A LOT OF STUFF DONE ARE YOU STRESSED CAN I HELP HERE I FOUND THIS BOOK ON MANAGING STRESS, YOU SHOULD USE IT" The ladies at the front desk have complained about him sneaking up on them too.

I was trying to keep it short, but I could go on forever about this guy. Basically, creepy people with no sense of boundaries are a pet peeve.

Dang. Thats rough.

I really get pissed when people make callous statements about a group of people or something like that. Life sucks enough as it is, you don't have to be a huge rear end in a top hat about it. My current job is a block or so away from a homeless shelter that provides services to people down and out in life. Its also the only shelter in town that will take in actively drunk or high folks that need a place to stay. So it isn't uncommon to be walking to the parking garage to pass a group of homeless folk that are using the facility. Well one day, this lady who was either high, or severely messed up on stuff, was on the other side of the street from where I'm standing on one side of the street waiting to cross. Me and some...co workers I guess, were like "Lol, get a load of THIS one. HAHA CRACK KILLS, NOT EVEN ONCE, LOL" really loud and obnoxiously. Then they were all "pssh, did you see that, man" to me. gently caress people like that.

They are the same group of guys that are all "women, amirite" and "don't be gay" and poo poo like that. Hate those guys, make my day suck so bad.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
New topics please and thanks. :cry:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speakerphones are my pet peeve. I shouldn't ever hear myself echo back to myself. Its loving rude.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know my reputation on the forums and all that but this is a genuine peeve and I don't know what it is: Strong Accents, particularly Southern. Someone calls me with a REALLY thick accent and it just drives me crazy. I can tell its going to be a bad time and usually I'm right. I think its because of the type of people i talk to rather than the accents themselves, but I find it bleeding over into my non-work life. If I hear a really strong New York or Southern Accent I immediately shut down and try to get away from the person.

It makes me feel bad, but my brain just sees it as anathema for some reason.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Political season brings out this peeve. People that refuse to acknowledge that there is a difference between the American politcal parties and put no effort into finding out what they are.

It matters and they are different.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Oh, god, this is so true. For everyone, singles and marrieds alike.

Me, age 17: I don't want kids.
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you're 25!

Me, age 25: I don't want kids.
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you're 30!

Me, age 30: I don't want kids
:byodame: You'll change your mind when you meet the right guy!

Me, age 32: I met the right guy...he doesn't want kids either.
:byodame: He'll change his mind when you get married!

Me, age 35: We're not getting married.
:byodame: What?! Everyone get's married!!!
Me: well, maybe that's part of the problem.

I have paid my dues--all through my teens and twenties I faced tremendous pressure to get married young and have kids. Not just from my family but from partners too. It got to me enough that I said yes to a proposal I should have said no to. I was always upfront--even if I left myself open to the possibility of kids, I was still saying "maybe, but probably not." But I kept attracting guys who wanted tons of kids. One of them called me selfish for not wanting them; another told me it was my duty as a woman to have his kids. I FINALLY meet a guy who respects what I want to do with my own body and life, and now people are on HIM to change HIS mind. I handled my own mother; I'm letting him handle his. Mine finally gave up on me when I turned 25 and gained old maid status. Now I can live my own life with minimal invasive questions, though I still get the "why aren't you engaged yet?" (I don't want to be) and "you're running out of time!" (so?) and "you can still adopt!" (I don't want to).

Holy poo poo people, just because you like kids doesn't mean everyone else does, too. I'm thrilled to find a guy who won't try to force his religious or family views on me, and all you can think about is how I'm shirking my duties of adding to the overpopulation problem? Come the hell on.

I can't imagine what it's like for marrieds. At least I have the excuse of "let me get married first." You guys have no excuses.

I have a kid and an married and I really don't get why people give other people who make the (probably wiser) choice not to do either a hard time. I love my kiddo, but I think its supremely stupid to pressure someone else to have kids if they honestly don't want them. It really pisses me off when my wife or anyone else removes the agency from someone else (and its always a woman, strange that) by acting incredulous when they don't want to have kids. Its like you're saying that they aren't adults capable of making their own decisions and really sounds similar to religious arguments. "You have to believe in Jesus! You just have to! Because thats what I was taught growing up!" *Clutches pearls*.

Nuebot posted:

Lying shitholes on one side who unquestionably hate the other side and will deny even the most basic and sane poo poo just to tell them no out of spite.

On the other side, lying shitholes who unquestionably hate the other side and will deny even the most basic and sane poo poo just to tell them no out of spite.

I guess this is my electoral pet peeve; people who expect everyone else to give a poo poo. Especially when America is basically in a constant state of elections and the second one election ends people start preparing for the next election. Like Christmas, I'm loving tired of hearing about elections.

I can see constant elections being a peeve, that does totally suck, and there is a lot to hate about the American political process. But to throw your hands up and say "it doesn't matter" or "they are both the same" is objectively wrong. If someone intentionally chooses not to participate because they don't like any candidate or are otherwise disenfranchised, I seriously understand that. What i don't get is when people ARE wanting to participate, DO want to engage people in debate, and their entire shtick is "it doesn't matter, I'm just gonna vote for whoever" or "I vote for the individual, not the party" as if everything happens in a loving vacuum.

No, don't claim to be politically savvy and interested and then bust out the 13 year olds version of politics. The two party system sucks, but as it is right now, the parties are very, very different and one of the main reasons are because people aren't acting like it doesn't matter anymore. \

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A good pet peeve: religious stuff being socially acceptable. It really shouldn't be, but it is. Peeve.

Secondary pet peeve, probably cuz I'm a bit of a curmudgeon: a lot of heuristic sayings like "bless you" or "how ya doing" and stuff like that. I answer stuff honestly and I get in hot water when folks are like "How you doing" and I say "Not so hot, I was 5 minutes late today because the wind blew over my garbage cans this morning". They get all offended that I unloaded that stuff on them.

Don't fuckin' ask then. But oh wait, "how are you doing" isn't what you meant, "good morning"is what you meant.

Then say fuckin' good morning"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Pet Peeve: When I make a comment that isn't really important and I don't want to have to go through and repeat or set up the comment again.

The moment has passed, don't ride my rear end trying to get to recreate the throw away line.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thin Privilege posted:

Yeah this. I think aloud a lot (probably someone's pet peeve) and my SO always asks "what did you say?" That in and of itself is fine, the problem is that he won't give up until I repeat it. When I say "it's not important" "never mind" etc, that means that it's not important and there's no point in repeating it.

Yeah my SO is guilty of it too, exactly. Blargh. I"m thinking of trading her in for a newer model or something.

Going to Macy's instead of Wal Mart this time.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lately, I think its capitalism. Thats my peeve.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Being expected to eat or partake in what everyone else got. I am reasonable on this, I think like say.... someone brings in a cake. Its vanilla with frosting. "Hey do you want some?" No thanks, ok nbd, move along.

But if they bring in their super special jalapeno double decker upside down strawberry meat cake, and you say no, you're a DICK for saying no their hard work.

Sometimes you just don't want to eat that/go there/try this/or listen to that and it doesn't make the person a dick. Lay off folks that aren't #yolo all the time, millenials.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

People doing things because of "tradition". If that's the best reason you have for doing something, you should probably stop doing it.

Stop stealing my posts Tiggum :mad:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When my wife wants to do a project or event but isn't willing to plan or get the necessary tools for it. I installed a ceiling fan and had to put in a new brace and a whole bunch of stuff. Wed never done this before. Which is fine, but don't ask for a ton of stuff around the house but forbid me from getting tools that would make it, you know, doable.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

^ on the note of people on phones, one thing that really winds me up is people that make a call in a crowded room and expect everyone to be quite.
Just go to an empty room to make the call.
My mum used to do it when I was a kid and now my current housemate does.
It's a total pain, I don't understand how these people don't have the sense to just go to another room.

Hey ask him about this price

"Hey, whats the price"

Oh and the coverage

"Whats the coverage too"

Is it effective immediately?

"He wants to know if its eff-"
*I've already driven over and murdered both of them*

If you want to talk on the phone, YOU TALK ON THE PHONE. No need for a loving proxy.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People saying bless you when I sneeze. I get really mad and give them a firm dressing down.

Another SERIOUS one is when folks celebrate a milestone for a manager/boss/supervisor. Today it was the supervisors birthday so everyone had to sing "happy birthday" to the supervisor. Nothing against him, but there are 20 some people on this team; each who have HAD to have a birthday in the mean time. But no, we all have to stop and celebrate. gently caress that poo poo. It always comes off as trying to suck leaderships cock every time, and it happens at every level of corporate. Just because they get paid more than us doesn't' mean their birthday means more.

Same for "boss day" and poo poo like that. I can see it making sense in a professional setting if the boss actually leads the team in work and expertise, but 9 times out of 10 they just have the most tenure/knew the previous boss/had good timing. Why should we celebrate people that control our lives unless it was to score brownie points?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I feel worse when I see an adult slip and eat poo poo, kids heal fast and the tears are generally for attention (they almost all universally look around to see if someone's watching before the water works start).

Peeve: The assholes who park on the street in my neighborhood. The streets are narrow so if some assbag parks on the street there's only room for one car to drive past which creates fun games of chicken with oncoming cars every time I need to drive anywhere. Every single house in this neighborhood has a two car garage AND a two+ car driveway so even if your garage is so full of poo poo you can't fit your cars in it (this is another peeve of mine) you can still park them in your motherfucking driveway and NOT THE STREET GODDAMNIT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

This so hard. Every house in my neighborhood has a two car garage and most people put their extra vehicle in the drive way instead of the street. But there are certain people that always have a car on the road. And it's always some huge van or truck or some poo poo.

It's the lowest class poo poo I can think of. Only the very wealthy or irresponsible working class have so many vehicles they can't garage them all.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

I've lived in the Midwest for a longass time and have literally never heard anyone pronounce it anywhere close to that. "Milk" is really the only thing that gets mispronounced around here with any regularity.

My pet peeve is people equating shitholes like Iowa with the Midwest as a whole.

Iowa is the best part of the midwest. Lol if you're too blind to see that. Iowa also has the neutral accent. The accent you hear on tv, on commercials, on public service announcements: the Iowa/Omaha accent or "neutral " accent.

Iowa literally sets the standard on American English, deal with it. ( note I mean like Des Moines/urban iowa, not the country folk nonsense)

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Echoing travel. I hate it. I like seeing family, I like exchanging gifts, but I loving hate driving hours and hours to do it. It turns a nice family function into a logistics strategy because everyone needs "their time" with this or that particular relative.

I've been really pushing to host every holiday at our house, not because we have all the space, but because I'd much rather get on my sleepy pants and watch movies/video games/whatever in my own house and sleep in my own bed than drive 3 hours to sleep in a drafty farm house because ~family~.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reiterating that coming to my wife's family farm makes me hate Christmas.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When you choose to do a task and someone else notices and wants to do it, but there is only one thing so now your on a time limit. I am glad you share the interest but don't you fuckin dare ask if I'm done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DavidAlltheTime posted:

idgi.. Can you outline the scenario?

Ah, I think I'll get a nice drink of water here at the fountain. *three people immediately line up behind you after the fountain was there unused for hours* "Hey are you gonna hurry up?"

Ah, time to clip the ole' nails. "Hey when are you going to be done with those nail clippers, I want to clip my nails, hurry up"

Better pull over here and adjust the car seat in the car, lets get way off to this part of the parking lot no one is using *cars immediately come up behind you forcing you even further out of the way*

Hmm, I have a lot of work to do at this ATM, I'll take the one furthest from the crowd that is not being used. *people immediately come up behind, leaving the other ATMs unused*

It frustrates the crap out of me.