Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

People who have no sense of awareness of how loud they/their actions are. The biggest annoyance to me personally are door slammers. The person in the office next to mine, whenever he steps out to do ANYTHING, whether it is to go grab a coffee in the office 2 doors down, or talk to someone in the hall for 30 seconds, he slams the door shut behind him. At least once an hour he does this and it makes me jump almost every time. Is it so much to ask to close it quietly, or maybe...don't close it when you don't need to?

This drives me insane. Sometimes classes and deadlines line up such that I'll have just a 3 hour window where I can get some sleep and then that time has to carry me for the next 30 hours, and the jackass in the next room wakes me up in the middle of it because they have evidently never learned that you can close a door without hulk smashing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People on the something awful internet forums who say "hope this helps" for no reason.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The way the word "literally" is now getting thrown around in place of a bunch of other words where it makes no sense. "Literally" is the only word you can't use figuratively!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The word "fam." When did it start and why is anyone saying it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This might better belong in the college complaints thread, but I'm really starting to hate people who eat food with noisy packaging/wrappers during a class. I have ADD and tend to sit in the front row of classes so it's a super obnoxious-sounding distraction right behind me that completely throws me off for a minute every single time it happens. If I could just tune it out I could, but I kind of can't and it's an inconsistent sound so it predictably throws off my focus every time it happens. It's just rude the great majority of people who do it have plenty of time before or after their classes to eat anyway so there's no way it's necessary.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My peeve this week is an ancient one. I really can't stand it when posters who should know better fall for obvious trolls.

This is a really painful thing to see because you know it's only encouraging the trolls to continue, and it ends up ruining a lot of threads because people just cannot shut the gently caress up when an incredibly obvious troll tries to get a reaction out of them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Related: People who swerve in and out of random lanes on the highway with no turn signal to get ahead, because whoever is in the lane in front of them at the time is going 1 mph slower than they want. These people must save a few seconds at best by doing this, while also making it incredibly unsafe for everyone else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have the opposite problem where I asked someone on a date and they've done nothing but stall and delay it over and over, to the point where it's been over a month since we've both been in town and I still haven't seen them once because of this. I've given them enough chances for nothing to come of this and it's been a waste of time so the next time I see another delay I'm calling it off (because that's basically what's already happened through attrition). It's not a big deal but for christ's sake, if someone asks you out maybe just say what you actually mean instead of pretending to care for reasons unclear.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting hair past the awkward middle length sucks. Just long enough to have to be controlled unless you want to look like an idiot, too short to actually be able to control it.

I'm glad I got that done years ago but I kind of worry that I'll have to cut it below that length for some reason and have to deal with it again.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Aug 20, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People who say "could care less." It means the opposite of what you want to say which is "couldn't care less."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Of course you're a loving Wikipedia editor

Whats wrong with editing wikipedia. I've never done it, is there something about it I'm missing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Door-slamming. I know this is usually just a product of growing up in a big loud family but holy poo poo, stop it. It takes like a billionth of a fraction of a second of forethought to not slam the door. Shut it gently. See also: stomping on stairs.

Last year I had a roommate who always loving did this and it drove me insane. General lack of respect for the fact that people might be trying to sleep at 3 AM (or anytime really if you don't actually need to be making that much noise) is one of my biggest pet peeves. Even with white noise I could hear everything he did the moment he came into the apartment. It is not hard to close a door quietly, and I should not have to ask you to mute your loving TV at 3 AM on a weekday, especially not after bringing it up multiple times already. I'm a computer science major while he was a business major and the business program is piss easy at my university (usually what people do when they don't actually want to work in college) so we didn't exactly get along.

Now I have a roommate who's so quiet I often forget anyone else lives in the apartment, and it's awesome.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Youtube videos for games that have spoilers in the title and thumbnail so you end up getting stuff spoiled really randomly. Sometimes youtube will throw these at you even when you aren't looking at game videos at the time.

I'm sure this applies to movies and shows too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Excuse me that is a sharp

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

"females"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's wrong with just using the word "women!" gently caress!!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mikl posted:

People treating their high-beams lever as if it was a loving magic wand that can instantly clear the lane ahead of them.

Guess what, you dumbass? I'm not driving at half the speed limit just to annoy you, it's because I have someone in front of me who's doing that speed. They in turn have someone going slow ahead of them, and so on and so forth for miles and miles and miles. "Just move over to the other lane!" you might say, except that the other lane is 100% packed with no space to move in, and why do I have to move to a slower lane anyway since even if I did you wouldn't go any faster because of the huge line of cars going slowly in front of us?

Learn some patience, you fucker.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/tailgating-driver-astonished-to-discover-further-car-just-30-yards-ahead-20150908101781

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The best part is that they don't fly good. I'm not sure if it's because they're just not evolved to fly well, or because they're stupid fat roaches or what. But it's more of an escape sort of thing. So they just sort of jump and crazily drift all over the place out of control. You don't know unpleasant until a roach hits you in the face and falls down your shirt.

gently caress you for making me imagine this gently caress YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

when I had appendicitis I spent twelve hours in the emergency room because the doctor on shift thought I was a teenage girl who was lying about being pregnant. He interrogated me about this multiple times over the twelve hours that I was lying half-conscious in agony on a gurney in a room off the side, coming in just long enough to yell at me that needed to just admit the truth already before leaving to tend to the patients he felt deserved his attention more. It wasn't until a new doctor came on at a shift change that anyone actually LOOKED at me. By the time they got me into the ER my appendix had already burst, and they had a meeting with my parents to break the news to them that they should not expect me to recover. Obviously I did (after several weeks in the hospital and a secondary infection that led to my parents being given ANOTHER "prepare for your child to die any minute now" speech), but doctors not loving believing people (especially women/people they perceive to be women) is my pet peeve

:wtc: I'm not a lawyer so maybe there's some kind of rear end in a top hat protection I don't know about here but this sounds like it would have been a viable lawsuit. It's certainly a gently caress of a lot more than a peeve.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

oh yeah and if you're trans then every single health problem you have is obviously an emotional/psychological thing related to your being trans, rather than an actual medical condition - I know a woman who couldn't initially get treatment for A BROKEN WRIST because the doctor at the clinic she went to was like "I don't have any experience with trans patients so I can't help you," because of course being trans means your bones work differently

Your tonsils need to be removed? Probably because of those hormones you're taking. You got the flu? Must be the hormones!

Can't wait to deal with this when I eventually go on HRT. I've yet to hear from someone on HRT who hasn't gotten this poo poo from some idiot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Anytime I end up on a mac university computer or whatever I'm always trying to use the alt/control keys for the things they do on windows (alt T for new tab in firefox etc) and have to figure out which of those things got moved to the options button, which is in a different place.

Of course for all I complain about macs being different, windows is much more of a special snowflake OS out of OSX/linux/windows.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Someday a smoke detector might save my life but until then, gently caress them forever, and then gently caress them forever after that because they will ruin the rest of my life that they saved. They are awful.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

liquorlanche posted:

American born and raised. Funny how I remember covering the imperial system for multiple weeks, back in grammar school and I still don't loving know or care. I think we spent one, single morning on the metric system and I got that poo poo down.

Without Googling, I couldn't, for the life of me, tell you what a quart is.

I'm also positive the NFL is responsible for everyone knowing how many feet are in a yard. Without American football, I bet about 80% of the people who know that 3 feet = 1 yard wouldn't actually know that.

A quart is a quarter of a gallon :ssh:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If anyone ever used decimeters then the metric system would be just as usable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Decimeters are tens of centimeters. Why don't people just say decimeters. Everyone just jumps from centimeters to meters and uses that as the reason why the imperial system is supposedly more convenient, when the metric system already has a unit about as convenient as the foot. 3 dm is very close to a foot too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't eat sunflower seeds but sometimes it happens with peanuts and it's amazing how much it can ruin your day.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

I've been chasing the gremlins that keep causing my new desktop to wake itself from sleep at random times and I think I finally got the last one. No, windows media player update check, you aren't important enough to wake the computer whenever the gently caress you feel like.

Is this a windows 10 thing because I've never had it happen on 7.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Whistling. Just...just stop it!!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hello everyone around me would you like to hear some shrill and ugly off-key notes with no meaning to anyone except me, ok here we go

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Those attitudes make me really uncomfortable because for every person who sees this time of year is the restful vacation society pretends it is, there's someone else whose life is hell around christmas and it's not something to be smug about. I don't envy anyone with a shipping or transportation related job right now.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why are you acting so entitled?

Sounds like it's the other people that are entitled here considering they're the ones demanding snacks even though they never provide any.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure my socks manage to throw themselves away. Or run away in search of a comfier drier. It's been a problem for years and I'm not sure why it's only socks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

mostlygray posted:

I get irritated by the opposite. The people that think all animals will kill them. Be it fish, cat, dog, hamster, etc. My recently deceased dog was barky but friendly and never even snapped at a soul. Yet almost every repairman would prefer to listen to a dog bark for 2 hours locked up rather than let him say hello. I've never been bitten by a dog so maybe it's just a hangup that I don't have.

They don't know your dog the way you do and have no idea whether it's just being friendly or will try to bite them. Or will bite them while thinking it's being friendly by doing so.

When an unfamiliar animal runs at you, you really have no idea what it will do. It's reasonable to be a bit uncomfortable with that unless you're talking about a chihuahua or something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're going to do it, try not doing it instead. Be amazed as you suddenly avert being an intrusive creep!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh! Eat poo poo adblock for youtube?! Yes, eat all of the poo poo. I thought I had some goddamn malware or virus or some poo poo injecting loving lnk.rus redirects into various urls and things I clicked, but no. It's gently caress you, you garbage rear end extension. The gently caress is this poo poo? Who the gently caress asked you to do that? Eat rear end, all of an rear end, cram all that rear end into your chuckhole. You know how many scans and poo poo I had to sit through to clean out my laptop?? I even reinstalled loving chrome.

gently caress.

So hey by the way if you see your url bar briefly turn into lnkr.us, it's not tumblr's new redirect prgram or a malware thing. It's an extension.

I don't know if there's a good/similar replacement for adblock for youtube, sorry.

I've never had problems with adblock plus

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I dropped it last year when I noticed ads start seeping in and YouTube started playing ads mid-video.

So far, uBlock hasn't pulled any shenanigans, but I won't be surprised when the same thing happens soon and I have to switch to uBlock Origin. Which I will have to delete in a few months when it gets bought out or stolen, and install the next thing.

I haven't seen any youtube ads or anything out of the ordinary so I guess noscript is keeping that out. Noscript is an awesome complement to adblock plus.

I immediately remember how much I hate ads when I'm on a different computer so I don't have my plugins and suddenly there's all this dumb poo poo competing for screen space and throwing distracting movements in the corner of the screen. Hell of a lot more than a pet peeve but I hate that it's all fueled by telemetry and other ways of ruining privacy. Loss of privacy is something I take very seriously but feel completely powerless to do anything about.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm attacking you and I apologize for it, but this mentality is my pet peeve a lot of the time. 9 times out of 10, we're talking about an entertainment product that doesn't need more than "I didn't like it" or its opposite. Either you liked it of you didn't; the rest is SMG-esque intellectual masterbation.

A discussion where all anyone says is "I like thing" or "I don't like thing" sounds pretty goddamn worthless.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

People who constantly vocalize during movies. Hope you wanted to hear "oooh!!" every time someone dies in an action movie.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

AlphaKretin posted:

Unfair reviews in general annoy me, especially if the product/hotel/whatever is small enough that a few lovely reviews affects them. My favourite example of this is one small BnB in the Austrian countryside (...I can explain why I was looking at that but it's a long story), with a TripAdvisor user score of 3 stars. One review was 5 starts, with a rational, reasoned review of the place that amounted to "it was perfectly fine and I wasn't expecting any more". The other guy? One star because "I willingly admit the place was good but that Sabine bitch hated me, I swear", detailed in a massive screed. :wtc:

It hasn't been updated in a year but there's an entire site about this and they can get pretty infuriating

http://leasthelpful.com/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When you can't easily go back in your browser, because the previous page is some dumb intermediate page that just instantly redirects you back to your current page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I started an apartment application and they emailed me some basic questions (even though they are already on the application itself), one of which was "Will you be bringing any fur babies (pets) with you?"

There is just no time that phrase should ever be used.