Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

YeahTubaMike posted:

The use of "adult" as a verb...

What's bothering me more than anything right now is the rapid evolution of language, mostly influenced by social media. Ten years ago I left the Internet and have only recently come back, and there are all these new words and phrases I don't care for. When I first saw "bae" I thought it was a misspelling of "babe," but no, I guess that's a word now. I heard someone pronounce "pwned" as "powned," which annoyed me because I thought the only redeemable thing about "pwned" was that it was unpronounceable. I see people making dumb verbs out of every loving thing. There are new acronyms. I still don't know what "smh" is supposed to mean; someone told me it means "smacks my head," another told me it means "so much hate," and whenever I see it either seems applicable. I know I could just look it up, but I don't care because I don't use these acronyms and I generally don't talk to people that do. I know language is very fluid and always evolving, and it's actually pretty remarkable this time we live in in which it is evolving faster than ever before by an exponential degree, but -- perhaps I'm getting old, perhaps I'm embittered by my decade-long hermitude.

Also, the somethingawful forums have diminished quite a bit. When I was last on here, half the poo poo I see now wouldn't fly. Worthless, non-contributing responses, single-word replies, pointless subjects, memes and catchphrases.

Maybe the world has just moved on, and here I am with my punctuation and grammar. Oh, and another thing, this trend of putting a text that reads something like "when you get more change back than you put in" and it shows some idiot dancing around a vending machine. I know what they're conveying, that this is an example of what you look like "when you get more change back than you put in." But the way it's written, it's not a complete sentence, it's just...it's just so...so...

Am I all alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I hate the modern evolution of language. I know I am a loving curmudgeon but it annoys the hell out of me. Some of it grows out of innovative communication, new designs in technology or social connectivity or art, but MOST of it just evolves out of mistakes, poor education, disregard for grammar, memes and awful Internet trends.

Recently someone on Facebook called me a "troll" because in a comment (of which this jerk posted a content-void picture of the characters Vin Disel and the angry Mexican lesbian actress whose name I can't remember and said he thought this was the perfect relationship) mentioned that it was ironic because both actors are gay. This caused some weird explosion of misdirected anger and bigotry; some people were calling me a homophobe for suggesting they were gay, and others were being homophobic by saying that these actors ain't no queers, and then there was a lot of in-fighting and oh I don't loving know. I thought they were gay? Maybe they're not. It doesn't make a difference to me, I just thought it was ironic. So anyway, one guy says that all this fighting between the main guy's friends was caused by me (which, by the way, I didn't respond to anything but that one comment) and that they were "feeding the troll" by fighting.

So now I'm annoyed because, they're calling me a troll. Why the gently caress is that? What is a troll? Some big green thing that lives under a bridge? Is a troll homophobic? Does a troll feed off negativity? No; this is an annoying evolution of "trolling," which is like, a fishing method in which you bait the fish and lure it in to you. When you're "trolling" someone on the Internet, you're baiting them into some kind of snafu, like an argument or whatever. You are NOT A TROLL when you do this. You might be, say, a "troller," since you are committing the act of trolling, but just because you employ a method of baiting not dissimilar to that of a fisherman it doesn't turn you into a god drat motherfucking boogeyman god loving drat it.

And I wasn't trolling, anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Murphy Brownback posted:

Wait, what, Vin Diesel is gay? :confused:

e: he's been married for almost a decade where did you possibly hear that he was gay

also for being such a word sperg i'm surprised you don't seem to know what ironic means

It was ironic because his idea of the perfect couple are these people in the movie but in reality they're gay so they wouldn't be together.

And, okay, well, maybe I'm wrong? I thought they were both gay. Admittedly I never actually looked up to verify it, I just had always thought they were :confused:

Edit: Anyway, my rant was about the noun "troll" not having anything to do with the verb "to troll." I admit I am lazy when it comes to verifying the things I'm bitching about.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

KoB posted:

You troll for fish, laying out a lure and hoping for a bite. Thats why dumb internet pranks are called trolling. Like, my mom going on 70 understood what my brother and I meant because thats how she used it.

Right. But that doesn't make you a troll.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
My friends on Facebook are loving idiots. I can't remember the last time any of them had anything to say that was said in text. I wonder what they do if they want to express something but there isn't already a loving image of Patrick Stewart with that caption on it?

whisper

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Portmanteaus. They're not cute, they're not clever, they're not cluter.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Inspector 34 posted:

I think it's just silly that some people consider their hobby superior to everybody else's.

It's easy for me to conjure the mentality I had as a younger person, often being the outsider and having my own ideas and hobbies mocked by others. I wasn't into sports, so I was labeled a "fag" or a "girl." I didn't care about cars, so I was whatever other perjoratives people apply. Years went by and constantly I was just mocked for being different -- and by "different' I just mean, I didn't care about the things most people do. I grew to hate the mainstream, absolutely loathe it. I became a hateful, embittered teenager and began to reject anything and everything that was popular because in my mind I could only associate the interests of the majority with the interests of bullies. I became an agoraphobic recluse and it's like, ten years later but it's taken years of therapy and consciously making an effort to not judge and/or fear people for me to even function.

I guess I'm a severe case, but I think everyone who falls outside of the spectrum of mainstream interests or just whatever is trendy or popular has this kind of resentment toward everyone else. For those guys who have no interest in sports, they probably have an interest in something that isn't as popular and not as many people understand or appreciate it (like your car example) and thus they grow to resent it, like the popular interest is personified as a direct antagonist to that person's happiness and they can only subvert it by making passive aggressive comments.

When I see people talk about sports, I can't help it, I feel a little resentment. A little sadness because I've never had an interest in it and I wish I did because then I might be able to integrate with people better, but I've tried and it just never clicked. It sort of makes me want to post some snide comment that vaguely diminishes their interests, but really it's kind of a cry for help, a beacon that says I'm alone out here. Maybe that's what your Facebook friends are doing; it's not necessarily a flexing of one's chest for the purpose of declaring one's interests better than others, but an effort to reach people, and what better way to reach people than to troll them into an argument?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
But to contribute:

Obnoxiously and hyperactively defensive stoners. I live in Oregon where weed is legal and it's been practically decriminalized for the last five years and mostly just ignored for the last ten. Unless you're trafficking large amounts of weed around or you've pissed off a cop, it's never been likely you're going to get into too much trouble for marijuana. It's not a big deal. 90% of people in Oregon do it. You're not in some exclusive club. Stop acting so loving surprised another slack-jawed spacey looking guy stumbling around the alleyway is high. Look around you, you get a prize if you can spot one completely sober person.

But man, the moment someone suggests weed has any impairing effects whatsoever, you sure snap right out of your stoned, vacant attitude and start quoting verbatim research results and court findings and government motives and attacking people with declarations that they're ignorant for saying anything different than what you think. Maybe you really are an exceptionally phenomenal driver when you're stoned, but I've driven while stoned and I was barely in control and think it's pretty great I got to my destination with nobody being hurt. So, I don't know, I'm not you, but maybe people shouldn't drive while stoned -- whoa, whoa, hey, put your metaphorical fists down, buddy, nobody's trying to take your loving rights away.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thin Privilege posted:

I am so loving sick of hearing the world "mindfulness."

I did nine months in-patient drug rehabilitation. This word shows up at least once every single sentence spoken and at least twelve times per stupid loving comic sans inspirational quote.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
About a year ago I was finally diagnosed with autism, which is finally all the loving excuse I need when I try and tell people that these things make these entirely absolutely unbearable for me:

Movies, videos, streams, etc. with lovely editing. Once upon a time there was an aesthetic standard in film that said you can't cut to another short that is less than 30% different than the one that immediately preceded it (I'm not sure of the quote, origin, or what, so this quote or standard might be apocryphal but you can still see it practiced and for good reason because...) because otherwise it looks like there was a hatchet taken to the film and it looks ugly and stupid. I get that now everyone wants to upload their stupid loving faces online as quickly as possible, but seeing YouTube videos that have every single second of dead air, every single mistake, every single bad delivery or whatever just cut out and then pasted together gives the whole thing the presentation of an essay composed entirely of 90s AOL chat speak. Like, I get it, you can get the message across, but the delivery is so hideous and jarring that I simply can't watch it. It's agony to me. I mean, maybe it's hip or cool to some people and maybe even enjoyable, but for me it defies what I think of when I think of presentation and... and not really in a directly ironic way, it's not like this is subverting the standard. It's just lazy, awful, lovely editing. And what really, really pisses me off is that a lot of people don't even notice it. I point it out, and then they see, oh yeah, wow, this guy just hacks away every split second of dead air and now looks and sounds like goddamn loving Max loving Headroom. But they notice it, then don't care. I care. Christ, it bothers me.

Also:

Videos in slow motion that either: a) don't show the video ever in regular motion or b) show the video in slow motion, first. I'm usually most interested in seeing something done at normal speed. If I'm really that interested, I'd like to see it again in slow motion. I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS IS NOT THE STANDARD

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Slow motion used for thematic effect can be excused as there's some artistic intention behind it, whereas slow motion videos of neat stunts are designed just to show off the intricacies of said stunt that can't really be seen in normal motion. Generally I've found that a slow motion recap of a fast scene loses most of its context for me if I don't see it normal, first.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

I don't know about hip or cool, but I like that YouTube editing style.

Can I ask why -- and, if I can also, what your age is? I ask because I'm 34 now, and I suspect that this editing style came more into popularity among streamers whose audience is mostly kids, or younger teens. Maybe this is a generational thing; I don't typically see people my age or older with that editing style.

Edit: And also, too late I'm sure, I didn't mean to imply you're a kid. I just meant you're probably younger than I. But maybe I should shut up :\

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Jun 17, 2018

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I hate that style of editing but the alternative would almost always be a video that's 70% dead air and "Uhhh... ummmmm..." because the number of people willing to have a piece of paper in front of them with an outline of their talking points and just do another take when they mess up is vanishingly small.

We must be the change we wish to see in the world.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Looking at the .gif thread, here's a pet peeve: slow motion in clips. Like, when you see a cool trick, what I want to see is in this order:

1) See cool trick at normal speed
2) See cool trick again but slowed down

What I don't like seeing is:

1) Most of the video at normal speed
2) Slick stylized slow motion at parts in the video like it's fuckin 300
2.5) Intermittent slow motion!
3) Zoom in on the slowed down stunt so you can instead see it blurry and awful
4) Maybe some circles and arrows so I know where to look
5) Music added for... comedy, usually?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gort posted:

People who use acronyms without ever saying what they stand for

This annoys me too, but it's also like when someone says a catchphrase or a meme thing without context. Everyone around me seems to know what is going on but I'm the rear end in a top hat for asking what the gently caress a pickle rick is or whatever

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
100% of my meals are random flavors of noodles I buy at the store. Annie's brand, I think? I don't even know. I'm vegan, but I don't like vegetables, so I don't use the freeze-dried toppings. I keep a drawer in my house full of them, in case I guess I want a salad?

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Feb 7, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

how are you not dead

You sound like my doctor.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Are you saying beans aren't vegetables? How would you categorise them?

Edit: Musical fruit

credburn has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 9, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People who begin posts with,

quote:

mods, delete if not okay

Mods don't need your permission.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm happy the ReTuRn oF ThIs TrEnd was short-lived. See you in again in ten years!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Or the series of clicks and clunks that all guns make whenever they're touched, picked up, aimed, or looked at.

Or how every tick of any graphic on a computer monitor is accompanied by a chirp.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I laughed hard at this but immediately was just put off my the low effort Curb thing. It adds nothing; it just detracts from it and is distracting.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I hate animation that has a kind of rubber-band motion to it. Like, a person can't raise their head up unless they've first lowered it. Everyone moves like loving pigeons.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

mostlygray posted:

Squash and stretch are necessary for animation to look good.

I do not believe this for a second!

But here's another thing annoying me, I don't know if it fits in this thread, but: I use Facebook to keep track of events. There's poo poo going on all the time, and I click Interested, Interested, Interested, so that Facebook tells me when these events are coming up. But today I get a notice that says "Reminder: You have two events coming up today" and I click on it, and it brings me to a page that shows three events I'm interested in, none of which are today, and they're not in any order. And the rest of the events listed seem to be random; some of them I'm interested in, most of them not, and they're not sorted by date, distance, anything. It's just random poo poo. I can't even find the two events I'm interested in because there's no way to sort any of this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Are women still expected to shave their legs and pits? It's 2022 ffs

I groom my facial hair into designs and people know them by name. Presently I'm sporting "The Blade" which is a variation of "The Sword". The most advance form is "Silk and The Heron" but requires three levels of hair growth to pull off.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Mar 7, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Killingyouguy! posted:

I need to know what this means

So, I'm going to do an awful job, so here's an illustration. I know it's an awful illustration but it might help.

So if you imagine, I grow naturally a full beard. The Sword is where the mustache and beard meet, and they taper out about an inch before reaching my sideburns. Actually, I did the illustration badly; the tapering ends about my nose. The Blade is like The Sword but there is a division between the mustache and beard. The mustache tapers toward the sideburns, and swoops down a but, but doesn't touch the beard. And SIlk and the Heron is this; The beard and mustache do connect, but only barely, just as they both taper off toward my sideburns. Furthermore, on my chin, there are three levels of growth so that it kind of jabs downward. That's the heron's beak!

Or actually, here is just the image I use on Facebook. It's The Blade but kind of looks bad because I hadn't shaved that day.

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Mar 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I used to make derpy Flash animations in the 2000s, back when you had to e-mail a guy to get your cartoon on Newgrounds. I was 16. In a convoluted teenage-drama filled adventure, I, an American kid traveled to Australia to meet my Internet girlfriend and was briefly engaged to her. Her father was going to hire me as some kind of specialty thing that would greatly help if not basically grant me citizenship in my new country. Until he brought me to his job, sat me down with a guy, gave us a task involving making an interactive activity for his business website, and thus discovered I knew gently caress-all about Flash but I guess was pretty good at hiding my ineptitude behind elaborate motion tweens. Even the guy whose job was to make poo poo in Flash for a living thought I must know what I was doing.

credburn has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Mar 8, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I get kind of annoyed when a song that is normally followed by another song is not. Like, when you hear We Will Rock You, you expect We Are the Champions to follow. When you hear Feelin' That Way, you know Anytime is coming up. Tainted Love should segue into Where Did Our Love Go, and Nights in White Satin into Late Lament. Well, that's more a poem than a song.

I went out dancing to 80s music last night and had to be like WAIT WAIT STOP EVERYTHING more than once

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

people who say "horror show" to mean "bad"

Do people say this? I used to say it for a while, but I didn't really mean it to mean 'bad'; I had just read A Clockwork Orange and was a real gromky, insufferable oozhassny malchick.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is Hamilton not universally celebrated anymore?? I feel like for like two thirds of a decade I've heard nonstop praise for Hamilton and suddenly I'm seeing people quite annoyed by it and/or Lin-Manuel Miranda? Not just here; elsewhere also.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When you ask someone a binary question and they hilariously answer "Yes." Or they say "why not both" because I guess it's a loving meme? In either case, I have to ask the question a second loving time, you know, once everyone has finished applauding.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

I hope you step on a Lego.

Is this a reference to something? Recently when I told a lady her puppy mill was evil she told me she hoped I stepped on a Lego. And called me a mofo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
In like 2000 it was a "pet peeve" of mine to see erroneous apostrophes everywhere, in particular when they were thrown onto plurals. Like, I know people make mistakes, I make mistakes, I make grammar mistakes, but this is one of those things I just never understood. When did people start thinking you had to add apostrophes to things to make them plural? I get thinking "no one" is one word, or that "their" and "there" sound alike, but adding an apostrophe is such an extra step. In 2000 I saw it occasionally and it annoyed me; it's 2022 and as I walk downtown I see something like a full quarter to a third of all signs and notices on billboards, windows, bumper stickers, signs have apostrophes that don't need to be there.

That annoys me, I guess, but it also makes me anxious, because language is really fluid and shifts in ways that is so much faster than in 2000. There are so many words that mean things now that didn't mean that five years ago and it frustrates me. And now I'm realizing that the whole apostrophe-indicating-plurality is becoming so ubiquitous that it is just going to be the way it is. I think for the last twenty years I've been seeing it build up more and more and the whole time my brain's been just waiting for it to stop, but it's not going to stop :\

The thing is, too, is that it's never consistent. Not ALL plural words get apostrophes. Sometimes the same word in the same sign will have an apostrophe once but not the second time, even if the meaning hasn't changed at all :mad:

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Mar 29, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People who change the lyrics when singing a popular song at karaoke to align with their gender/sexuality. Nobody is going to think you're gay because you're singing a popular song everyone knows the lyrics to but is about (((gasp))) a man. The last minute change from him to her just screams insecurity.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

GreenMetalSun posted:

That there isn't a good male cover of 'Holding Out For A Hero'.

Why would there need to be?

Even Bonny Tyler's song, "If You Were a Woman and I Were a Man" sounds fine when sung by a man.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I'm watching a show I've seen before and I recognize an actor so I go to look up what I know them from and it's the show that I'm watching.

Haha please give an example

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
And of you comedy wizards name your pet "Peeve"?

I'm getting irrationally irritated by this Hawaiian Airlines ad where an overly excited lady talks about Hawaiian Airlines (pronouncing it like ho-wahy-ann) and the great rates to take you to Hawai`i (pronounced Ha-VAI-'ee). It feels like it's a build up to a joke, but no.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

FFT posted:

Traditionally, "Hawai'i" is pronounced with a "v" sound and "Hawaiian", as a construction in English, is not.

Yeah, I mean, I understand that. It's just that it's weird since the brand is not pronounced that way, but the place is, and having the same word appear in the ad pronounced two ways feels like a meta joke.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Android not have a way of blocking mass texts? I can block spam text, and spam numbers, but if someone sends me and 400 other people spam, the option suddenly vanishes unless I type in the number manually into it. Which itself is loving annoying because I can't just copy the number, I have to type it in. And I can't type it anywhere without changing views, so I actually have to write the number down like some caveman, then go back to the phone, navigate around until I find the add-to-blocked-numbers or whatever, and type it in. It's a thirty second job that should be instant.

I need to change my number. I've had it for seven years and I've been getting texts and calls for "Nikki" since day one, but it's to the point where I can't even access my voicemail because it fills up so fast. According to my phone log there have been 17 SCAM LIKELY or obviously spam calls and SIXTY spam texts since... yep, four hours ago.

Admittedly, almost 90% of spam texts and calls I get happen between 6 AM and noon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mu Zeta posted:

Youtube's algorithm is suddenly really pushing me to watch Warhammer 40k videos and I have no idea why. Someone has a 10 minute rant about the Horus Heresy whatever it is.

I don't know what that is exactly but for fifteen years it's all my loving roommates have talked about