Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
So excited for the goon meet tomorrow, I've given my favourite dragon shirt its yearly wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Not mine

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SynthOrange posted:

Dinosaur revealed to be robot in disguise.

RIP Jeff.

I'll pour out some beer at TONIGHT'S ADELAIDE GOON MEET.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

markgreyam posted:

This Changes Everything has to be the most depressing book I've read (am in the middle of reading)

I've been avoiding this book for that reason. I'm sure it's as good as The Shock Doctrine, but I just can't deal with it right now.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

iajanus posted:

Newscorp and the Telegraph's twitter accounts are being very proactive in telling me that the van in that photo was not edited and their original photos are missing the S, so it must have been physically removed since the original photo. They're ignoring any questions about why they might have framed the photo the way they did.

Anyone have the time to investigate if they're lying (I just assume they are because they always do)?

Remember that time when Peter Slipper was actually a rat IRL and sprouted whiskers and a tail in the Speaker's chair?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I refuse to believe that someone who has murdered a 3 year old is literally driving around a big white van with peddo's on the front.

Yeah, you'd think that if someone was actually a pedo then they would get that fixed pretty quick smart.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Mithranderp posted:

I'd rather peel all the letters off the van rather than driving a big white van that says peddo's on it. I think any reasonable person would. Therefore I think it's a 'shop.

Absolutely. Remember how ISIS received a stream of abusive phone calls and threats? People are literally that loving stupid.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

homebrew posted:

Saw the tail end of a prang on Magill Rd when two boy racers were having a bit of a drag back 5 or so years ago. One of the cars involved found a stobie pole ended up in significantly more than two bits.

I remember pictures of that going around. hosed up.

E:

Mad Katter fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Strong Convections posted:

Report them. The agencies and the workers. They're here on student visas, not work visas and are breaking the law.

This is a dick thing to do against a group of people who are among the most discriminated against and exploited in the workplace. It can be really difficult for students to find part time work (often because they have a funny name, or employers don't understand how their visa works), which drives many of them to work for dodgy employers that under pay them, forcing them to work extra hours to try and make ends meet.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Cry me a loving river. They're students, they're allowed to work for 20 hours per week, during session. During breaks in their schooling year they're allowed to work unlimited hours.
If it's such a dick move then lobby to have the law changed. It's not though, and people applying for student visas when they're really intending to work are rorting the system.
Why would you want to support dodgy employers running dodgy businesses? Why support the exploitation? Not only that it keeps those dodgy businesses around to screw over Australia by not paying tax, screwing a potential employee out of superannuation and taking business from businesses that do the right thing.

I'm not supporting the exploitation, I'm just saying that the dodgy businesses should be reported and not the employees being exploited by them.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

In this case these people are working for agencies (who send them out to work for other businesses), so the two are entwined.

I have no idea why you wouldn't just report the agency to the Fair Work Ombudsman or whoever and leave it at that.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

tomkash posted:

My main concern is that the workers themselves will get into deep poo poo if there is an investigation. Also that they won't be back paid all the money these assholes have made off of their labour. It's not like I can do much anyway seeing as they've been operating for so long and have been getting away with it, I'm only one shitkicker after all. The best case scenario would be the workers getting back paid and then being financially safe enough to choose where to go from there, I don't think that will happen though and these people will end up unemployed or deported and their lives devastated.

Ideally I just need to find out if they can safely have a claim for underpayment so I can get the workers themselves to take them to court or if they find other genuine employment and can then claim underpayment but not get themselves deported by the fact they worked more than 20 hours a week while they were on student visas. I can't even get chefs who are australian citizens to take their employers to fair work for working 10-20 hours unpaid overtime a week though so what hope is there.

Don't quote me on this, and this is entirely anecdotal, but instances I've heard of where Fair Work has investigated dodgy employers, they're much more interested in making sure that the employers are compliant with the fair work act/relevant award, rather than dobbing workers in to the DIBP.

It certainly couldn't hurt to call the Fair Work Infoline anonymously and have a chat.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Just in case you had forgotten how evil the government is, DIBP has asked the AFP to investigate the whistleblowers that leaked documents to the Australian Human Rights Commission exposing child sexual abuse on Nauru.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/04/police-investigate-save-the-children-whistleblowers-over-nauru-abuse-report

quote:

Police investigate Save the Children whistleblowers over Nauru abuse report
Exclusive: Immigration department asks AFP to investigate submission to Human Rights Commission detailing sexual and physical abuse of children

Child protection whistleblowers who alerted the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) to child sexual abuse, violence and self-harm on Nauru are being investigated by the Australian federal police.

Guardian Australia has discovered the AFP has been asked by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to investigate Save the Children staff who anonymously wrote a submission to the commission’s inquiry, outlining cases of sexual and physical abuse of children, and acts of self-harm.

Submission 183 said: “We believe that the children have been subjected to multiple violations of their human rights and wrongdoing from multiple parties.

“Unfortunately, due to confidentiality clauses that have been imposed on us by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, we are unable to provide our full names and … titles … However, we believe the evidence that will be submitted will validate the statements that we are making in this submission.”

The submission detailed specific allegations – including names and dates – of sexual abuse of child detainees, violence and bullying of children, suicide attempts by children and medical neglect.

Appended to the submission as evidence of its claims were more than 100 working documents from Nauru, including minutes of meetings, incident reports, intelligence notes, and email correspondence.

Submission 183 was made public by the AHRC, but the appended documents were not.

The commission’s inquiry, which attracted more than 200 submissions, has been intensely controversial since its report, The Forgotten Children, was launched in February.

Advertisement

The report is excoriating of both Labor and Coalition administrations for their policies and practice of detaining children.

The commission was refused permission to visit Nauru. It relied on first-hand professional accounts such as submission 183, and testimony from detainees. The commission found: “Children on Nauru are suffering from extreme levels of physical, emotional, psychological and developmental distress.”

Tony Abbott has rejected the report as partisan, and a “transparent stitch-up”.

The AFP confirmed to the commission it was investigating the author or authors of submission 183 over the attached working documents.

Police are investigating a suspected breach of section 70 of the Crimes Act, concerning “disclosure of information by commonwealth officers”. A single disclosure carries a penalty of up to two years in jail.

Guardian Australia sought access to the suppressed documents attached to submission 183 under freedom of information laws, but was refused access. Guardian Australia was told by the AHRC the release of the documents would prejudice a police investigation that was underway.

The AHRC said: “In oral submissions from the Australian federal police they have confirmed there is a current investigation into the unauthorised disclosure of the documents attached to submission 183.”

“The department and the AFP submit, and I accept, that disclosure of the documents would … prejudice the investigation”.

The immigration department told the AHRC the documents’ release would “attract media attention” leading to a “real risk that material witnesses may be discouraged from volunteering information”.

The immigration department confirmed to Guardian Australia the AFP investigation was commenced at its request.

“As the AFP is currently investigating this issue, it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time,” a department spokeswoman said.

A spokesman said Save the Children was aware of the AFP investigation and would cooperate fully with police inquiries.

“The Forgotten Children report confirms Save the Children’s view that prolonged, mandatory detention of children has profound and devastating impacts on their physical and mental wellbeing. Our staff remain firmly focused on doing everything in their power to minimise such harm, to the extent possible in the circumstances,” the spokesman said.

Comment has been sought from the AFP.

According to the AHRC, the attached documents withheld included: Transfield Services incident investigation reports; the identities of confidential intelligence sources within the detention centre, and; “Wilson’s case notes dealing with a number of ongoing issues in relating to bullying, racial tension, allegations of assault by a member of staff, sexual assault harassment and intimated and specific threats to public safety”.

Transfield Services said the public release of documents detailing its operations and conditions on Nauru would reveal personal details of detainees and compromise its ability to keep order.

“We are concerned that the disclosure of such documents may lead to incidents of protest and riots as disclosure of such material may also enable others to use the information to the detriment of the good order of the operations of the regional processing centres,” it said.

The AFP is regularly asked to investigate leaks of information from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Almost every referral made to the AFP by federal government agencies for “unauthorised disclosure of commonwealth information” in the past 18 months has been directly related to journalists reporting on asylum seekers and immigration.

At least eight referrals to the police were on the subject of asylum-seeker stories, over reports in Guardian Australia and the West Australian.

loving hell, this is some sick poo poo. Protest and riot is exactly the correct response to systemic child abuse. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Protests are to the detriment of the good order of operations in the processing centres, but sexual abuse doesn't seem to bother them at all. God loving drat these people are twisted.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

markgreyam posted:

lol wait that was a legit quote :psyduck:

Hahahaha hooooly poo poo. Unbelievable. So much of this has happened lately, my girlfriend wouldn't believe me about the plans to cut the census.

Satire is dead, buried, and cremated.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

CrazyTolradi posted:

Wasn't Guy Sebastian's whole Australian Idol thing backed like gently caress by Hillsong?

Pretty much. I've had several people who were either involved or had family that were involved tell me that the church would tell people that that they needed to vote for him, and used their enormous piles of money to run an sms voting campaign.

This was through Paradise Community Church. I've never been religious, but I wound up there one and found it absolutely terrifying. It's a well oiled and high tech brainwashing/money extraction machine.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

This seems about as likely as the mining industry going back to working with slaves

I thought that was what Gina is lobbying for?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is the dumbest thing. Forget about funding programs to re-train or educate the people who will be losing their jobs, and forget about using that money to support businesses and industry that's still actually operating in areas like Elizabeth. Just hand over a billion dollars to GM and Toyota.

It was exactly this kind of corporate welfare that led to the situation we're in. If I worked at Holden I would want to riot.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Graic Gabtar posted:

The boats were stopped and then the passengers and crew were sent back.

That would count as a boat being stopped.

I thought that the point of stopping them wasn't to keep refugees out of Australia, but to make sure that they weren't risking their lives and drowning at sea because we care so much.

Oh wait, it's ratbag ciarg.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

katlington posted:

A few days ago, but,

Abbott sounds british as poo poo here. 4 toilets for 400 people is meeting basic needs. Not for you or me or for tony or any other australian but it's fine for them, they're used to it. As for safety well, I feel safe, don't you?

IDGI, can't they just dig their own grid?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

On the topic of goonmeets, I'm gonna be back in Melbourne from March 25th to April 6th, so if one were to to happen within that geographical and temporal window, that'd be tops. (Easter weekend is probably out though.)

I'm planning to be in Melbourne around this time, so I would be interested.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Smegmatron posted:

http://gu.com/p/46g4y

Welp. Tony just got let off the hook for Chan and Sukamaran.

No Australian swing voter will think twice about killing non-white people if it's part of stopping the boats.

Abbott's going to deploy mines in the ocean, right?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Shadeoses posted:

Will they be taxed, though?

Abbott's mining tax will be taxing the public to fund the mining operation though , not the other way around.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Maybe people will stop risking their lives at sea if they face certain death at sea due to Australia's policies.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Anidav posted:

Worst ISP to buy best ISP.

What could possibly go wrong?!

And iiNet owns Internode too, right? Seems like bad news for competition.

Looking around for NBN plans at the moment, and it's difficult to choose.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
So who's left that isn't poo poo now?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

No predators and ample prey, why wouldn't a cat be a libertarian?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I never did get around to watching The Act of Killing. Thanks for reminding me.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I bet everyone at whirlpool and OCAU is glad that we voted Conroy's party out.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Les Affaires posted:

Don't forget the explosion that happened at their factory. It was raining Datsun cogs that day.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

TONY HAS EATEN A SECOND ONION

http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-culture/tony-abbott-continues-to-troll-us-all-eats-another/30d4d0b9-9aa9-487c-bae6-fd47fd9dcdd7.htm

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
https://www.campgallipoli.com.au/adelaide/

quote:

Camp Gallipoli is a once in a lifetime opportunity for all South Australians to come together on the 100th anniversary of the landings at Gallipoli to sleep out under the stars as the original Anzacs did 100 years ago.

At Morphettville Racecourse families, schools and community groups are invited to join in a special night of remembrance, entertainment, mateship and the birth of that special ANZAC spirit. The venue will have spaces set aside for camping using swags, just like the Diggers did. There will be entertainment, special guests, movies, documentaries, great food options and a very special Dawn Service on Anzac day itself.

I hope the experience at Morphetville Racecourse includes camping in an overcrowded trench filled with disease and lice, no fresh water, insufficient food, doing a poo in an overflowing latrine while smelling the dead bodies rot around you in shallow graves and being shot at and bombed all through the night.

What a sick joke.

quote:

Ticket Prices
Including Meals (Dinner & Breakfast)
Adult – $121

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Birb Katter posted:

What uncultured freaks you guys must be if you haven't mentioned "He died with a felafel in his hand" or "bad boy bubby"

Bad Boy Bubby owns. It's the most hosed up movie.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
:siren: NUT MILK :siren:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-23/nut-industries-non-dairy-milk-market-share/6336684#.VQ-il3b4Xqk.facebook

quote:

Nut milk is mainly water

And with water making up more than 90 per cent of most nut milk drinks, there are concerns about whether consumers are getting what they are paying for.

So what? I'm pretty sure everything that you can actually drink is going to be 80 or 90% water, or else it would be a smoothie or some kind of paste. Cow's milk, soy milk, even beer would all be about 90% water, right?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I know very little about this issue, but that seems like a terrible idea.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Wait, people peel their tomatoes?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

thatfatkid posted:

Can't make a good spagbol with tomato skins in the sauce mate.

I guess that makes sense. I use tins of diced tomato or jars of puree, so I've never really thought about it. Seems like hard work.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Pickled Tink posted:

There, it is done. From now on, your first dog will be delivered by a member of the greens. Now when do I get my cybernetic implants to plug me into the leftist hive mind?

Oh gods. I just got a call from a lady claiming to be Kylie Turner about my joining and when I mentioned my mental health as a reason I wouldn't be able to help out at this election, she suggested homeopathy as something that could help. I told her off for trying to peddle complete and utter bunkum and explained how it did not, in fact, do anything. Still, I am already regretting joining the party.

gently caress.

That's really sad. I've never met anyone in South Australia that's like that. They all seem to be pretty serious about policy informed by science and evidence, no matter what their pet issues are.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Graic Gabtar posted:

Yet they supported it.

I'm certain The Greens have not supported this in any way. It's my understanding that Bandt was one of only three members to vote against the bill in the lower house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bowmore posted:

would you prefer multiple pages of animal pictures? I know I would

unironically, yes

• Locked thread