Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
muyb will never vote green again with all of those filthy engineers swelling their ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I found doorknocking extremely stressful, I'm not going to do it again. Going letterboxing this afternoon though, and I will probably hand out HTVs or whatever on the day

Anidav posted:

If you showed a blind man QLD or NSW, 9 times out of 10 he would choose QLD.

Best State.

Um. Queensland is easily the worst state in the country, bud.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

GoldStandardConure posted:

I want to do door knocking for the Greens when I am able to. I'm not the most social person, but I used to do door knocking to collect donations for a cat and dog shelter, so I've got a bit of experience and I enjoyed it a fair bit too. If someone as socially awkward as me can do it I'm sure everyone here will be fine.

See I thought I'd be fine, but it's so awkward and hostile that after finishing my run I was about ready to die.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gough Suppressant posted:

hahahaha the idea of women being beheaded is really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

You humourless gently caress.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fruity, you're over thinking it. Muyb just hates comedy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

you'll have to do better than sarcasm if you want me to think you like comedy

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I missed you fruity

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Calling her an opportunist and saying she wrote it herself don't make sense. You're bad at reading, please stop trying to have the most correct opinion.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Oh gently caress off gough.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

Last month we had a pretty good thread for the most part. Interesting things were discussed, the shitposting was at tolerable levels, etc. Even some lurkers felt confident enough to come out of the woodwork and post, or resume posting again. What could have change- Oh, hi Fruity. Guess that explains that.

Seriously, don't you lot have a chat thread somewhere else on the forums to get your more egregious shitposting out of your systems?

Anyway, content:

Coalition bounces back in poll, despite leadership doubts (Check the URL to see what the article was originally named).
It looks like we are safe from a Morrison reich. The more right wing of the party seem to have settled on Bishop as Abbott's replacement if poo poo gets that far.

You may all breathe a small sigh of relief.

Mate you came back and just posted first dog. Go back to where you came from.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Anyone have any experience with being hired as a contractor?

Just got offered a position doing work helping out an electrician on a building refurbishment in the city. About 3 months work, full time hours, and money I could really do with.

However,, first off I need to go get a white card (couple of hours and $100, no big deal), purchase my own insurance, and get an ABN. Just now speaking on the phone to the guy he explained how those are the things I need, and once I have the ABN he can give me a contract to sign.

Right now all my spidey-senses are tingling that this seems extremely suss, and while I could really do with the money I'm leaning towards it not being worth it. However I don't have experience doing this before so is there anyone who has had positive experiences doing something like this and can persuade me to turn off the alarm ringing in my head?

My father does IT contracting like this. Considering the industry and job description, it's probably legit, not to mention that they were open and helpful about what you have to do on your end. Just read over the contract and keep in mind you have to pay your own super and get insurance etc. A short term project assisting an electrician is a legit use of contracting, it's when the permanent editor of a magazine is a contractor that something shady is happening (yes I know somebody in this position, yes they're being paid less than minimum wage)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

I *love* being treated like garbage while my bosses make more money!

You sure are a clever individual!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

I haven't bought an avatar since cartoon koala. Sorry to disappoint you.

Seems unlikely, you replaced this one awfully fast

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

*checks thread*
"welp, people are still replying to ratbag craig!"

*closes thread, marks all as read*

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Nibbles! posted:

Everyone's waiting for the penny to drop, the perception is that the economy is going to get worse before it gets better atm.

To really understand the hardon for IR reforms you really have to go back 100+ years and look at our unique system of collective bargaining, and how it shaped the landscape today.

Given today though and that our economy is largely consumer driven if you want a stronger economy you need to prod the middle and lower classes into spending. Cutting working conditions does the opposite.

Also, if you want to encourage risk taking, there's an argument for stronger social safety nets so your failure doesn't result in you out on the streets.

Hilariously, my class on entrepreneurship teaches that social safety nets discourage people from starting businesses, implying that they'd rather sit on their butts doing nothing on the dole. So glad I have to do this quality subject.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

My class on entrepreneurship taught that people are motivated into entrepreneurship by either necessity or by creativity. It's why a lot of small business startups are done by immigrants, because it's often easier for an immigrant to start a business than it is for them to get a job.

Anybody who knows about creativity though will understand that you either need to be the type of person willing to take massive risks, OR have enough capital behind you to ensure that the risk is not going to change your living standards much.

Yeah, the theory was that Necessity entrepreneurs don't exist if there is a good social security system, which is slightly less absurd. The lecturer conflating less necessity entrepreneurs with less entrepreneurs total was of course his own idiocy.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Gross

Can you link the article? I want to share that on facebook and laugh at the reactions

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

If it means anything to you, I think your avatar/text is more suitable for Splode.

I decide to check the DnD thread, skip to the last post, and it's you having a moan about me behind my back.

Yeah I'm the fuckwit :thumbsup:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Stop replying to Craig idiots.

Lol @ tolradi writing essays for trolls. Surely you have something better to do with your time.

In other news I'm furious that the greens have come out with boohoo Fraser poo poo.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I know this was 2 pages ago but ~I don't care~

From time to time they'll need people to do data entry managing the membership databases etc, it's worth emailing your state office and saying you're available for that sort of stuff and they'll contact you if it comes up.

And then when you get there they'll emotionally blackmail into cold calling people. Volunteer for letterboxing and then screen your calls until the election is over IMO.

Once you volunteer for something they don't stop hassling you until you die.

tomkash posted:

Pickled Tink, just join the Greens they don't make you do anything. You might get a call when you join up and maybe get on the mailing list but they'll never push or expect anything from you. You could also do letter boxing which is fun and you won't have to interact with anybody.

Not My Experience At All.

So far the NSW greens seem to have little respect for their volunteers and fundamentally do not understand the concept that people have things they have to do other than volunteer, or perhaps don't want to give up every weekend for a month. They're also horribly disorganised and you will get called by several different offices who don't identify themselves. So you say "yes" to handing out HTVs and then realise they want you for a completely different electorate to the one you live in. They will contact you for the same event with every medium at their disposal (call, text, and email) and the medium you reply to apparently decides which office you're working with, or will cause a bureaucratic meltdown when you get their and it turns out the guy who sent all those texts out didn't bother to enter them into the two competing organisational systems. And that's if you agree to stuff. I had one woman who didn't seem to understand that "sorry, I'm busy" is the polite way of saying "I don't want to do this because I have better poo poo to do on a Saturday" and was extremely passive aggressive about how 'busy' I was. This is after I'd already done letterboxing and door knocking, and agreed to do HTVs on Saturday. She also asked me about HTVs, to which I replied that somebody had already called me about it last night, and then I had to tell her again when she brought it up again.

Disorganised and rude.

Splode fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 25, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

TheHeadSage posted:

Depends on the group/branch. I joined the Greens last year and my local branch is content to leave me alone. I only get the odd email inviting me to attend a branch meeting.

Same for me until the election. Honestly my local branch seem fine and really nice, the woman I spoke to to organise HTVs was extremely friendly and reasonable. It's the surrounding electorates (looking at you Newtown and Balmain) who seem to think that because they might actually win they have the right to steal everybody else's volunteers and harrass anyone who might possible help them out.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

tomkash posted:

God bless Summer Hill I guess. I get emails from Newtown but I've only had a few calls in response to me registering for volunteering on the website from Summer Hill. I definitely see them being disorganised, it took me awhile to get arranged to volunteer and I never got to hand out at train stations in summer hill despite asking and speaking on the phone about it. The summer hill greens have always been super friendly and appreciative of what I've done which is great for me because now I'll probably make more effort to go to meetings and be involved with them. Summer Hill is also a great electorate that I love living and working in so I enjoy meeting more of the community here whereas doorknocking in Newtown was nice but I try to avoid the area.

Hopefully they get their poo poo together in the big gap from Sunday to the federal election. There seem to be a few places things could tighten up and improve. Anyone going to the NSW Greens election party Saturday?

I'm in Summer Hill too, so there you go! They were lovely to me too. I haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to the election party, if there's a sizable goon contingent I could be talked into it though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fruity Gordo posted:

I legit want to shut down the coal industry.

Go look up "Steel" fruity you doofus.

Also lol @ fair evasion chat.

I can tell you guys don't live in Sydney. Our ticket inspectors are awful.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

We did electric arc furnace steel making in last month's thread I think, no coking coal required.

A little bit of googling shows that this uses scrap steel, so it can't really entirely eliminate the need for coking coal. Steel has carbon in it, and that's unavoidable, but this

This is cool as poo poo. The industry partnership with Bluescope is important too, those guys are surprisingly keen on being as environmentally friendly as possible because it ends up saving them money (iron ore being blown into the local river is bad for the river and also bad for yield rates) and also getting a lot of heat off their backs.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Wow, I haven't heard "Macs don't get viruses" for like, ten years.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Smegmatron posted:

Also carrying a smart phone comes with the burden of carrying a camera, microphone, data repository and GPS unit with you at all times. If you aren't ok with the idea of nation states surreptitiously accessing all of that, too bad.

FTFY

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I knew smegmatron was an idiot but he's really taken it to new heights.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Don't talk about people behind their backs :mad:

Literally kill yourself

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

bowmore posted:

Do VPN's slow down your internet?

you bet they do! And the ones worth using cost money.

Also your internet bill will probably increase because ISPs need to buy a shitload of storage for several billion gigs of "customer visited facebook @9:20am"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ignoring the fact that labor passed it, is it theoretically possible that if labor wins the next election they can repeal it before it actually does anything?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

just finished my shift. It was really fun and friendly, even chatted with the liberal guy a fair bit (thankyou auspol for equipping me with good arguments).

Also I went to vote and discovered I'd forgotten to update my address, so I got to vote for Jenny!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

FOUR green seats? :holymoley:

Though I do worry that this is a big win for the homeopathic anti-vax idiot faction of the greens...

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nats ~10% primary, 16 seats
Greens ~10% primary, 4 seats

Bring on multi-member electorates.

yeah I was looking at that too. It's very lovely.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Wilson tuckey was a fine MP after beating an indigenous guy half to death in his pub, even taking the nickname "ironbar" as a point of pride

Yes, but it could be used to prevent green candidates from running after they've been arrested fifty times for protesting.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shakugan posted:

An education system that rewards rote memorisation rather than understanding and critical thinking.

I see our education system getting bashed in this thread all the time, but I didn't think it was that bad. High School English is almost exclusively about developing critical thinking, as was hsc level modern history. Gallipoli was taught to us as 'a completely pointless exercise that demonstrates why war is bad and usually pointless' and the great depression was taught to us as 'we aren't allowed to say that laissez faire economic policies directly caused the great depression, but they did.' Evolution was taught as concrete science and the scientific definition of theory was explained in depth.

People are just idiots and latch on to poo poo they read elsewhere if it fits their opinions and understanding of how the world is, our syllabus isn't that bad (well, the nsw one, can't speak for other states).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

That wasn't the case at my high school, which was a selective school geared towards churning out kids with high ATARs :shrug: We all learnt things properly and didn't just memorise everything, it was less effort to understand the concepts than memorise everything. There is definitely an issue with assessment but it's not nearly as bad as people seem to think

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

cpaf posted:

Your selective school didn't teach you about anecdotal fallacies I guess

e: also, explaining that your teachers taught you the 'right' version of history as an example that they promoted critical thinking is also hilarious

I wasn't using the history anecdote to demonstrate how they taught critical thinking, I was instead arguing against the idea that Australian kids are constantly told that the soldiers who died at Gallipoli did it to protect our way of life. But you probably realised this and are just arguing in bad faith again.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

hello i'm a bicycle rider

ding ding

i travel super slowly on the road during peak hour

ding ding

if you think this is inconvenient you are hitler

ding ding

"I have just as much right to be here as you do!!" - cyclist to both pedestrian and car, depending on what suits the cyclist.

I am all for more cycling lanes so there aren't as many bikes on the footpaths or the roads, they don't suit either at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

how do you loving manage to be more studentpolitics.txt than the current federal government

Similar number of members

• Locked thread