Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. Even so, I was recently working on a semi-historical pirate game and it's still so easy to get buried on the massive amount of information we have on the era. History is a rabbit hole and it's easy to get sucked down it, but much harder to make it presentable to all your friends.

I think there's also the problem that comes up a lot in this thread and others when other designers put their feet in their mouth. If you go too little with your historical/technical background, why did you even bother in the first place? But if you go in too deep, at what point do you reach "now you're just being culturally appropriating and spectacularly insensitive"? And that goes super double for events that happened in recent memory. I mean, wargames and boardgames tend to get a pass because they often start with a big base of research, and go so far as to stick bibliographies and recommended reading lists in the back for further review by interested players. (See, e.g. Navajo Wars, which seems like the complete opposite of the recent Monte Cook debacle thing.) I don't know if RPGs do that often, outside of, say, GURPS sourcebooks.

It's not fair. All of my game ideas happen in 20th and 21st century analogues, so I get a few paragraphs in to writing them before my brain goes "you idiot! How would someone from the DRC/Belgium/Algeria/France/Japan/Russia/the Philippines/Sweden/Finland/the UAE/Israel feel about you hijacking their history and cutting/pasting like you're making a grade school collage?!" and I end up putting the whole thing down for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It doesn't seem like it's hard to borrow from real world history without being a Monte Cook level doofus. It just involves actual work instead of making up a bunch of Disneyland level woo-woo bullshit about evil Thunderbird and everyone wearing a feather headdress just because and SO IN TUNE WITH NATURE, also only 15% of your magical Native American analogues are real people, welp bye.

Like, I imagine it goes something like:

Step 1). Avoid dumb ethnic/cultural stereotypes, treat everyone involved as real people

Step 2). Do some loving research.

Step 3). Write it up

It's possible I'm underthinking this but, y'know, that seems like a good way to go about it to me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The main problem is Step 2 is really easy to get sucked deep into if you're trying to be authentic. Step 2 is a pretty demanding step.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding. It's why the war college doesn't do them, even though there's a lot of call for them - finding 30-40 people that genuinely know the facts necessary historical event is tough!

It's probably also the main issue with historical RPGs, even ones that are loose with the facts.

Already way ahead of you folks. :haw:

It's gonna be a bit of a clusterfuck but I'm kind of okay with that. We aren't going to produce a historically accurate outcome. Honestly, I'm half expecting that they will completely gently caress up the treaty and begin an arms race in the 1920's. The upside is the briefing material isn't awful, and the players have a slightly above average knowledge of history in that they know the interwar period existed. Part of this is that I want to eventually do Watch The Skies as a forum game but I need a test run to see how a megagame works out in a forum before I do one with a lot more fiddly bits.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

The main problem is Step 2 is really easy to get sucked deep into if you're trying to be authentic. Step 2 is a pretty demanding step.

It turns out that not being a dumb lazy rear end in a top hat and making GBS threads out something ludicrously embarrassing does take effort, yes. This is why most RPG writers really should steer as far away from "like real world group X with the serial numbers filed off" as they possibly can, because it inevitably leads to poo poo like The Strange or Pathfinder's scheming magical Gypsies. Tolkienian elves and dwarves are about as much heavy lifting as the average RPG writer can handle, and if they aren't willing to do any more work than regurgitating a first-grader's view of history then, well, they probably shouldn't be trying to do it then.

For the record, Shadowrun, a game which is rife with dumb stereotypes and stupid bullshit enough to fill an entire thread all unto its own, actually managed to remember that there were different Native American tribes and not just one monolithic "Indian culture" which means that Monte Cook couldn't even be bothered to rise to the level of a game published over 25 years ago by a bunch of dudes in Chicago who had probably only ever heard of Native Americans by rote description before.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mostly meant it's a simple process, but a difficult one to pull off well. Especially if you want to go deep enough to make it worthwhile to be Like X But With The Serial Numbers Off without making it 'You might as well have just used X'. Writing half-way plausible alternate history is hard work, though I find it a lot of fun as a hobby.

Basically, it's easy to see what should be done, and you're correct about the framework (especially step 1) but like most things with this hobby, it's the execution that's tough.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, I'm willing to accept that there's a point where, unless you're making a historical supplement all about X, you want to cut things off because most RPGs don't have the pagespace to give Bob Nerd a complete rundown on the intricacies of Native American tribal history and culture. Okay, fine. That said, if you don't really want to do any actual research the question you should be asking yourself is "then why do I feel the need to base this fictional elfgame group off of real, actual people I know nothing about?"

Like, you don't even have to be a world history supergenius to avoid the obvious pitfalls, it's like a day or two of talking to people, reading books, and avoiding the basest and most obvious cliches. Not going straight to "thieving magical gypsies that love to dance and steal from people with their wily gypsy magic" isn't rocket science. I mean, I've seen people in defense of Pathfinder's dumb not!Gypsies straight up go "well what if I WANT to use these stereotypes in my game?" at which point you have to accept that a lot of RPG writers and no small amount of RPG fans are lazy schmucks who don't give the slightest, marginal-effort poo poo, which means that even if all you do is slightly more than marginal-effort research that already puts you several steps above most people in the hobby who aren't, like, Ken Hite.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The saddest part of that is that RPGs have tremendous potential as an instructional tool. People remember poo poo they see and experience in games fantastically well, because they're engaged while they're playing. There's so much space to use RPGs to actually teach about history, cultures, religions, and philosophies and it's generally all wasted.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I could be pulling this out of my rear end but I think part of the problem is that elfgames that concern themselves with historical accuracy have traditionally also been groggy as gently caress, in the "impenetrable, dense cluster of bullshit rules and dry, unengaging writing" sense. I'm probably overlooking all sorts of examples, but it seems like every time someone tries to make a game that actually strives for some sort of accuracy in some regard, whether it's history or medieval swordfighting or economics or whatever, it always winds up more boring than reading an actual textbook on the subject would be.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I blame Gygax and his legacy. Not only was he crazy about that stuff, he was wrong about pretty much all of it. I was reading my old D&D Arms and Equipment guide from my 2e days in high school and holy poo poo, just about every bit of historical info in it is wrong. 'Historical RPG' has become shorthand for 'Actually wrong about everything, what the author imagines history to have been'.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

To bring up an old topic. Cards Against Humanity is doing a science expansion pack that's set to give scholarships to women. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-women-in-stem/

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Night10194 posted:

I blame Gygax and his legacy. Not only was he crazy about that stuff, he was wrong about pretty much all of it. I was reading my old D&D Arms and Equipment guide from my 2e days in high school and holy poo poo, just about every bit of historical info in it is wrong. 'Historical RPG' has become shorthand for 'Actually wrong about everything, what the author imagines history to have been'.

One of the problems of being "right" about a historical RPG is also that history isn't really a static field, new things are discovered and occasionally there are competing theories on things, once you go back far enough to not have super-accurate records from multiple perspectives. It's entirely possible TSR did their research on historical weapons and armor, but got bad sources or later research simply proved them to be wrong.

There's also some challenge in making a historical RPG, because if you try to play it 100% straight, you tend to, as said, end up with something very groggy and realism-focused, where there's... relatively little for PC's to do, because most of human history doesn't really lend itself to brave packs of adventurers doing cool things. And if you break realism, you kind of lose the instructional/educational element.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I wish this was better because I played through the whole thing and I still have only the most tenuous understanding of what the gently caress is going on with Exalted rules, doubly so for combat. Then again, I wish Exalted rules were better as a whole.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Exalted is good as it is.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Len posted:

To bring up an old topic. Cards Against Humanity is doing a science expansion pack that's set to give scholarships to women. http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-women-in-stem/

Please no. The five hundred posts raging last time the game was mentioned was terrible.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Exalted is good as it is.

please do not troll the chat thread

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Len posted:

Let's give Caesar what is Caesar's: this is a good thing they have done. The game is juvenile at best and horribly insensitive at worst, but this its creators are doing some good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i usually have fun when I play CAH.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh no that means you're on the list of people someone doesn't want to game with. Whatever will you do?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Please buy our misogyny engine now with criticism deflecting scholarships.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fun things are fun.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PresidentBeard posted:

Oh no that means you're on the list of people someone doesn't want to game with. Whatever will you do?

panic and tweet about it i guess???

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Maltose posted:

misogyny engine

you should get this namechange, I think

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

you should get this namechange, I think

It's a good one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
sorry for making a joke, I just want to be like you cool guys who give no fucks...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

sorry for making a joke, I just want to be like you cool guys who give no fucks...

You seem upset. You should take a cold shower and drink some milk and maybe eat a sandwich.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Maltose posted:

please don't group me with Plutonis

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Foo posted:

please don't group me with Plutonis

Yeah, that was definitely beyond the pale. My apologies.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, that was definitely beyond the pale. My apologies.

Apology accepted, friend :)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beyond the pale? Wow, you must be as white as all the CAH writers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Great to see the anti-latino racism they display against me.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The only thing I really know about CAH is that its creator was accused of rape by an acquaintance of his. Did anything happen with that?

Yawgmoth posted:

I wish this was better because I played through the whole thing and I still have only the most tenuous understanding of what the gently caress is going on with Exalted rules, doubly so for combat. Then again, I wish Exalted rules were better as a whole.

You should really just check out the 3E leak for yourself, IMO. The base system is much more intuitive now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Great to see the anti-latino racism they display against me.

I'll have you know I'm prejudiced against bad posters regardless of race or creed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
...I keep reading CAH as "Cartoon Action Hour" which makes the last several posts really confusing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'll have you know I'm prejudiced against bad posters regardless of race or creed.

Aaaand the anti-TG sentiment rears its ugly head. :mad:

Literally shaking here.

But CAH does suck really bad.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bedlamdan posted:

The only thing I really know about CAH is that its creator was accused of rape by an acquaintance of his.

I didn't know this

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I didn't know this

It was a thing that happened last summer: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/the-case-against-cards-against-humanity-is-max-temkin-a-horrible-person.html

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well that's unfortunate but CAH is still fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

It doesn’t help that Temkin had positioned himself as an ally of progressive, feminist gamers, to the point of openly taking a stance against gamer icons Tycho and Gabe of Penny Arcade for making rape jokes while he had a booth at the Penny Arcade Expo.

Um...I think his game has the card "date rape" in it...

Also making jokes about genocide and the holocause is pretty drat bad too. Dude is about PA levels of progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

CAH cards never work grammatically and that annoys me. Also while some cards are hilarious like "the mere concept of applebees" good like getting the subject card that it works with

• Locked thread