Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Beyond the pale? Wow, you must be as white as all the CAH writers.

"Beyond the pale" references the Eastern section of Ireland that was originally controlled by the English and the extent area of their colonization. It's not about color and more about being English or culturally acceptable in England's first colony, Ireland.

It is an old white people reference though, especially in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

"Beyond the pale" references the Eastern section of Ireland that was originally controlled by the English and the extent area of their colonization. It's not about color and more about being English or culturally acceptable in Britain's first colony, Ireland.

Don't quote FAU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Well that's unfortunate but CAH is still fun.

*nods* I think most people forgot about it anyways, and you can't really prove or disprove most accusations made over the internet.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

"Beyond the pale" references the Eastern section of Ireland that was originally controlled by the English and the extent area of their colonization. It's not about color and more about being English or culturally acceptable in England's first colony, Ireland.

Doesn't it refer more generically to any sort of border or marking thereof? I don't think pale is meant as an adjective here.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Beyond the Pale is a good Jim Gaffigan album. Jim Gaffigan is funny.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't it refer more generically to any sort of border or marking thereof? I don't think pale is meant as an adjective here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement

quote:

The archaic English term pale is derived from the Latin word palus, a stake, extended to mean the area enclosed by a fence or boundary.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

It's a noun actually but used as a slang term for a specific area.

The origin of pale is palus, the Latin for fence stake. It's pretty much referring to the English area of control in Ireland until the 16th century. This is unrelated to the Pale of Settlement which was the area in which Jews were confined to within the Russian Empire.

EDIT: Beaten

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 31, 2015

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding.

This is a huge issue.

As a point of reference, I'm GMing a 4 day UN Security Council simulation of the events of 2003, as an educational experience for the participants. I will have historical maps, a comprehensive timeline of events as they happened, a list of potential crises, several preplanned briefings, published topic guides for the participants several months ahead of time, etc.

By the time we actually go live my partner and I will have been prepping for about 9 months.

All this and the expectation is that the simulation absolutely will not be historically accurate (though it should still be historically plausible). And I know I'm still going to gently caress up some element of the simulation. And as much as the students are prepping too, they're going to mess up details as well.

Striving for accuracy and education in geopolitical games can be... a lot of work.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding. It's why the war college doesn't do them, even though there's a lot of call for them - finding 30-40 people that genuinely know the facts necessary historical event is tough!

It's probably also the main issue with historical RPGs, even ones that are loose with the facts.

I kind of have to disagree about this. Historical megagames don't really rely on people knowing a lot about that period - you need Control players that know enough about it to be passable but as I've said before the real strength of a megagame isn't the setting so much as it is the drama of what's happening around you. You're dealing with other human beings rather than a setting and it's those other people that make it interesting. The events are just there to set things in motion, I guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Irish only became out in 1950 though

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

So it's basically just a snooty old people way of saying that something is 'out of bounds' or 'crossing the line'.
Afaik, that's always how I viewed it based on context, but good to know that is actually what it literally means.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

So it's basically just a snooty old people way of saying that something is 'out of bounds' or 'crossing the line'.
Afaik, that's always how I viewed it based on context, but good to know that is actually what it literally means.

It's not really snooty at all, it just carries a strong connotation.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

It's not really snooty at all, it just carries a strong connotation.

Sure, it's just my experience it's used by snooty types.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

Don't quote FAU
You know this thread would be boring if people didn't respond incredibly sincerely to me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Sure, it's just my experience it's used by snooty types.

Can't say I've had the same experience

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

You know this thread would be boring if people didn't respond incredibly sincerely to me.

I'm sincere all the time here. Schizophrenic dissociation between irony man and sincerity man on different boards is the key of posting. That's what makes me a good player as well, you gotta become a goblin or elf inside your very mind before you write or talk as one... Psychodrama poo poo, man.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

FMguru posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_of_Settlement

quote:

The archaic English term pale is derived from the Latin word white  ppl, a stake, extended to mean the area enclosed by a fence or boundary
reeeeeeally did not expect to Actually Learn Things in the chat thread but whoooo stuff i didn't know

also unrelatedly uh does somebody want a PS+ trial code :ohdear: sweetie and I are now PROUD PARENTS OF A PS4 but we're already subscribed to PS+ and I don't want to toss it out somewhere in Games bc i don't want to get any of Games on me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ningyou posted:

reeeeeeally did not expect to Actually Learn Things in the chat thread but whoooo stuff i didn't know

also unrelatedly uh does somebody want a PS+ trial code :ohdear: sweetie and I are now PROUD PARENTS OF A PS4 but we're already subscribed to PS+ and I don't want to toss it out somewhere in Games bc i don't want to get any of Games on me

Can't you just add the code to your current time? On reflection I'm not sure if the Destiny PS+ code worked that way or not but that's what I attempted to do.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm sincere all the time here. Schizophrenic dissociation between irony man and sincerity man on different boards is the key of posting. That's what makes me a good player as well, you gotta become a goblin or elf inside your very mind before you write or talk as one... Psychodrama poo poo, man.

The attempt or desire to abandon oneself entirely into a role is the sign of an actor with weak craft.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ningyou posted:

I wouldn't mind a copy as I never had PS+.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Len posted:

Can't you just add the code to your current time? On reflection I'm not sure if the Destiny PS+ code worked that way or not but that's what I attempted to do.

Nope, 'new subscribers only.' :(

e: okay, Covok! should I give it to you on irc or uh

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 31, 2015

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

The archaic English term pale is derived from the Latin word white ppl,

But Latin for "white people" is "populus alba"? Which I guess explains where "albumen" comes from...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ningyou posted:

Nope, 'new subscribers only.' :(

e: okay, Covok! should I give it to you on irc or uh

I can be on irc in a few moments.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

The attempt or desire to abandon oneself entirely into a role is the sign of an actor with weak craft.

Spend 4 years on the Vale do Amado Senhor Jesusinho's Shakespearian Theatrical and Musical Montage Arts before you call someone a bad actor, fishbreath.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Mr. Maltose posted:

Good or bad craft, it's a lot of fun
#WhyIelfgame

Covok
May 27, 2013

That anime WoD supplement someone posted earlier made me wonder how many bad, fanmade rpgs supplements were made in the 90s based on anime. Kind of doubt any were good.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I know there were all sorts of websites where people statted up various anime characters in Champions and GURPS and such. I know this because in high school I probably read most of them.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I know there were all sorts of websites where people statted up various anime characters in Champions and GURPS and such. I know this because in high school I probably read most of them.

I can not think of a worst system for an anime game than those two, in all honesty.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
No see, they're universal systems which means they can do anything.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm pretty sure all the Champions conversions were just the work of this one very...productive dude, because I at least never saw one that didn't have his name appended.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

No see, they're universal systems which means they can do anything.

I forgot people honestly believed that in the 90s...I forget people honestly believe that now!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Covok posted:

I forgot people honestly believed that in the 90s...I forget people honestly believe that now!

I was under the impression that at least GURPS really does deliver on the universality that it promises: how much was I wrong? Because I have seen some vastly different characters statted out using that system.

Covok
May 27, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I was under the impression that at least GURPS really does deliver on the universality that it promises: how much was I wrong? Because I have seen some vastly different characters statted out using that system.

It's not so much stats as it is actually playing out like it does in its source material.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have no idea what you're talking about, everybody knows Tenchi Muyo used hexmaps and one second combat rounds.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Well, the manuals insist that you should only use the hexamap if the genre and the situation calls for it, if I am not mistaken. But I can imagine how the one second combat turn could be a problem. I can think of a couple of animes that could work with GURPS, however.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Covok posted:

That anime WoD supplement someone posted earlier made me wonder how many bad, fanmade rpgs supplements were made in the 90s based on anime. Kind of doubt any were good.

Not the 90's, but Naruto d20 is an absolutely fascinating clusterfuck :allears: pretty sure there was a F&F for it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cyphoderus posted:

Not the 90's, but Naruto d20 is an absolutely fascinating clusterfuck :allears: pretty sure there was a F&F for it.

It was, sadly, never finished. Too bad as it seemed like the clusterfuck that terrible manga deserved and I wanted to read more about it.

Edit: The F&F, not the game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Honestly if I were to go insane and want to do Naruto-based gaming I'd probably use Wu-xing: The ninja crusade, because man, it's right there and is at least slightly better than D20 anything.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Covok posted:

Even the actual licensed RPGs based on anime in the 90s by and large weren't very good. The major bright spots in anime-based RPGs were pretty much all from R. Talsorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Guilty Spork posted:

Even the actual licensed RPGs based on anime in the 90s by and large weren't very good. The major bright spots in anime-based RPGs were pretty much all from R. Talsorian.

So...just Teenagers From Outer Space?

• Locked thread