Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Gau posted:

I miss the hivemind.

The hivemind hated you after all the kickstarter drama, so maybe it's for the best?

Glorified Scrivener posted:

You know, I love that even here - and this is the best place I've found online to discuss trad games - there is such a genuine willingness to seek consensus, identify common ground and avoid blanket categorical statements that paint all who disagree with you in the same stark polarizing terms.

Moreover the demonstrated keen appreciation of sarcasm, ability to accept gentle and affectionate mockery in stride and the steadfast refusal to declare one's chosen system to be objectively and inherently better than all others, is a refreshing change from the rest of the web. For while those places may be the fetid watering holes of the damned,TG is a oasis of tolerance and understanding, where I've never seen anyone argue that their chosen style of game play is objectively and mechanically superior to others. Certainly here, of all places, I've never seen anyone use the proclaimed superiority of their system to imply that those who prefer another RPG are emotionally stunted, immature, unsanitary, mentally deficient, unfashionable, incapable of appreciating beauty, politically retrograde, possessed of disgustingly middlebrow tastes in art, racially prejudiced or evil.

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Welp. Guess I can enjoy not having any desire to play Exalted still. Why can't they just add a sidebar/section for simpler combat like nWoD 2e did? In there you can have your powers with discrete effects and defenses and weapons etc ad infinitum if you like. Or you can just have everyone roll one time, make everything that might help/hider into a bonus/penalty for one side or the other, and move on with the game. I would probably pay for the books on principle if they had a "so here's how you use nWoD mechanics for Exalted combat" section.

Edit: "The main problem with EX3, as I see it from my admittedly distant post, is that no one told its developers that it’s not 2001 anymore." But then that's always been the problem, hasn't it.

It might be best to just snatch the leak and come up with your own opinions on it, given that PurpleXVI unironically believes Exalted 2E's tick combat is good, rather than bad.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Exalted 2E had its fair share of issues, plenty of them in combat, but I actually liked the tick mechanic. I always felt like it was one of the more natural ways to handle initiative.

So yes, please, attempt to state that all my opinions are irrelevant because I like one single mechanic.

Yes but what a mechanic.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

But come now, then you'd miss out on the anti-fiat currency rant and the city where they produce superbabies via gangbangs, including accidental mega-CHUD's that they for some reason flushed into the sewers rather than kill.

But, Purple, they don't have that.

EDIT: Ok the fiat currency thing I'll give you, Grabowski was very big on that or something.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Being legally barred from taking suggestions is actually fairly standard. The point is that if you take suggestions on some upcoming product, then there's apparently a legal gray area where those who made the suggestions have grounds for claiming a share of revenues/profits. This is why playtesting services will put up a boilerplate disclaimer disowning you of any right to make money based on having put in feedback, and why late night talk shows would either tell people to not send in their jokes or else they'd be property of that particular show.

Though what was going on with the anti-fiat currency rant? This sounds wonderful in the stupidest possible way. :allears:

More boring than anything else.

quote:

In the case of most Threshold states, the central authority of the nation, or perhaps their provincial governors in the case of a fractious state, are the operator of the mints. A well- operated mint is a source of social stability and economic power. A mint striking coins made mostly of base metals, and forcing the currency into the economy by force of legal authority, is a sign of spendthrift or rapacious leadership. Debased coinage progressively strip-mines the wealth out of society to pad the budget of its owner.

The Empress did not like debased coinage, as she knew it was a gateway to political instability, which was ultimately her problem as Queen of Everything. It was also in any case hard to account for, as every debased coin has a separate real value. Threshold princes were accordingly held to minting at 95% purity or better by Imperial fiat. Assaying was done by a fearsome array of bound demons and Dragon-Blooded inspectors, and punishment was swift and horrible. As a result, the Threshold during the reign of the Empress featured a wide array of easily exchangeable, stable currencies, all easily counted and laid at the Empress’s feet. This standard was also accepted and promulgated by the Guild, who enforced it in the Scavenger Lands and throughout Creation.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Night10194 posted:

Wait. So Exalted was basically an attempt to remake Feng Shui in Storyteller? That explains a hell of a lot about its reputation.

Maybe 2E was, 1E used a turn system.

Which is what normal people would prefer. :colbert:

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

Geoff Grabowski, the 1e developer, was a writer for later FS books like Golden Comeback. The main influences he took from FS were the mook rules, stunt bonuses, and the trees for Fu Schticks that evolved into Charm trees.

Grabowski was gone by the time 2e rolled in, and the developers mistakenly thought "if *these* mechanics from FS work, then surely the battle wheel will!"

Things have gone much better now that they've ripped off Dissidia instead

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

"Well, he's got your eyes. And Frank's arms. And Steiner's lungs...."

Huh. That actually sounds a lot like a mysticised version of the practices of some matrilineal ethnic group in southern China. A professor I had a few years back was doing studying the myths of that region, though she was mostly studying snake cults. I think the short of it is, it's one of those "Paternity is mever certain the way maternity is" things, combined with children being raised in their mother's household.

EDIT:
On the other hand, they need to have an editor go over and redo the "each contributing to a single child" part because it's slightly confusing wording.

EDIT EDIT:
Check your privilege.

"My Ten Dads" as a weekly sitcom

Edit: I think the precise problem with Volivat is that it leaves the mechanics of the ritual up to your imagination, and RPG players have pretty fuckd imaginations, on average.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 13, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Blades is literally everything I like in elfgames, but for some reason I can't pinpoint I just fail to be excited about it. Perhaps it reminds me about Project Dark and makes me feel like a space citizen for backing it.

A space citizen eating a doobie dog.

Looks like it's Nightfall on your KS expenditures then

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

It's a SA curse that any thread that is made to laugh at something either
A: turns into ironic appreciation that evolves into unironic,
B: has people saying "well not all x is bad I mean I'm one and..." which leads to A
C: people start obsessing in a sick degree to how much they hate the subject and make it their identity.
D: All of the above.

Thankfully the last years have threads that don't even take time to become one of these. Bless GBS and their hatred of the autistic pizza guy and the hot dog man.

Hot dog man was the best because goons cancelled christmas for their families to give a dumbass money and then got pissed that he was being a dumbass with their money

Admittedly, it was less funny when they started stalking him and posting pictures of his kids, but you know. Goons. :rolleye:

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 25, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

I still want an Outlaw Star RPG. It just sticks in my head "Well of course your space wizards are Taoist, it's just common sense. And obviously your ships are gonna kung fu fight, I mean, how else does ship to ship combat work?

There was a supplement for Exalted 2E called Shards of the Exalted dream, which had a bunch of alt settings. One was Outlaw Star (and a bunch of other sci-fi pastiches) with the serial numbers filed off.

Honestly want to port that over to 3E

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you really going to complain that someone took something Trigun away from you? You should be sending him a bouquet of flowers as thanks.

The manga is a decent sci-fi story, and a good deal more coherent, IMO.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Len posted:

I haven't watched Trigun since sophomore/junior year of high school where I remember it being enjoyable but super poorly paced. I don't want to rewatch it to prove otherwise.

I rewatched Evangelion and that was such a bad idea. I could have sworn there were more robot fights.

The anime was almost all filler until the Gung-Ho Guns showed up, and even then it never really bothered explaining all that much about why they were after him, specifically, and why Vash could do all that weird poo poo.

The manga is better because it introduces the antagonists much more quickly, gave a good explanation for everyone's motivations rather than just 'lol I'm psychotic' and had a lot bigger stakes overall.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

Also much heavier on the sci-fi compared to the western part than the anime.

Yeah. Overall it was just more compelling and better plotted.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Sion posted:

Agree

Disagree.

Attorney at Funk posted:

anime aeternam

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

goodness posted:

Does the power plant provide...power?

It provides everything but the ethics of it all are debatable.

Zereth posted:

Also explains what the gently caress a Plant is and why they're important, doesn't the Anime have Vash stop one from overloading and then they just kinda fade into the background?

Yeah. Until I read the manga I just assumed they were light-bulb shaped power generators.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly a Trigun remake that's more faithful to the manga would do better for itself. Sort of like the first FMA anime versus FMA: Brotherhood

I think part of the problem was that the anime was produced in 1998 and the comic didn't conclude until a decade after that

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Zereth posted:

That probably didn't help, no.

Didn't the first FMA anime conclude before the manga did as well?

That it did, and I have no idea why they do stuff like this for unfinished series because it always turns into a haphazard mess as the show outpaces the comic.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

gnome7 posted:

So basically, capitalism corrupts artistic quality.

*nods*

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jyen is also Mengtzu on rpg.net, I think, and plans to make a new one when 3E actually comes out instead of just leaking a whole bunch.

EDIT: yup it's Mengtzu

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
The only thing I really know about CAH is that its creator was accused of rape by an acquaintance of his. Did anything happen with that?

Yawgmoth posted:

I wish this was better because I played through the whole thing and I still have only the most tenuous understanding of what the gently caress is going on with Exalted rules, doubly so for combat. Then again, I wish Exalted rules were better as a whole.

You should really just check out the 3E leak for yourself, IMO. The base system is much more intuitive now.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

I didn't know this

It was a thing that happened last summer: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/the-case-against-cards-against-humanity-is-max-temkin-a-horrible-person.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

Well that's unfortunate but CAH is still fun.

*nods* I think most people forgot about it anyways, and you can't really prove or disprove most accusations made over the internet.

• Locked thread