Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'll admit I gave him the best advice I could as politely as I could, but I'm pretty sure it's too little too late.

I do legitimately feel bad for the guy. He sank his life savings into this thing before he even started trying to generate word of mouth.

This is going to be the most expensive heartbreaker ever written. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think he's mentally ill, he just doesn't know what he doesn't know. I've seen a few people ask him what the core of his system is or what the core mechanic is and he seems to be incapable of understanding what's being asked.

He wants to make an RPG, and that's fine, but he's trying to do it while being completely divorced from the larger industry culture. He's had this while sheebang up for months, apparently, but I only heard about it because I stumbled upon the thread on RPGG. He wants to break into the industry, which I get, but you have to learn how to do that before you sink your life savings into a project.

In all honesty, it's stuff like this that just proves we have, as a hobby, got to stop telling people to just write their games and put them out there. Encouraging people to just put out anything without adding "and here's how you make it not suck" helps nobody at best and at worst can cost people a lot of their own money.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

Spend your savings, don't cash in your 401(k)

I don't know which blows my mind more: the fact that he did this, or that he's running a KS to get "new servers" to handle the load once his game takes off (since it's all supposed to be hosted online so you can do stuff from your phone).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Doodmons posted:

What's worse is the idea of an RPG which is just a free website that does all the work for you, and you do rolls and have character sheets and rules online that you can access from any mobile device is a super good idea that I am astonished doesn't exist. Just... not like this. Not like this.

Not only that, but if there's a rules update your sheet will update in real time apparently.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For his sake, I hope so.

The advice I gave him was to shelve this, not put any money in it, put his D&D/WoD/GURPS books away, and go play Fate or something PbtA or by people like Jason Morningstar or John Harper. Sadly, I'm pretty sure it's too little too late.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Here's a weird one; do you think audiobooks of RPGs would be worthwhile?

I have a copy of FATE in epub but no time to read, so I set my reader to text to speech so I can listen while I work. It worked okay so far. A real voice would probably be better for any non-cyberpunk game.

Yes. I've been wanting an audio book of Unknown Armies for a long time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One Shots is pretty good, and they cover a lot of indie RPGs. They could do a better job with explaining how the games they play work, but despite that it's a fun podcast.

Six Feats Under has started doing short plays of indie RPGs. They did Last Stand, Strike!, Inverse World, and World Wide Wrestling.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also I'm reading through the Blades in the Dark quickstart and listening to Protomen and I really want to use this game to run a setting based on Streets of Fire and the non-movie The Protomen's "The Cover Up" is the soundtrack for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Triple post!

I'm still not allowed to talk about Fyxt here, right?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

And please do so, your pain is entertaining.

I posted the Fyxt design philosophy in the industry thread.

Never has "it'd be funny if it wasn't so goddamn tragic" been more appropriate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Making fun of the guy who sold his house and mortgage to make yet another DnD clone is mean and should not be encouraged.

The thing is, I'm not doing it to make fun of him. I tried to give them serious advice and they are just not getting it.

Believe me, if I could figure out a way to have these guys realize what a huge mistake they've made so they can try to fix it, I would.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also I suppose I should be depressed that people enjoy my suffering but really me suffering through RPG poo poo is like 90% of my posting history so

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If you give him advice and it ends up making the guy ruin himself, then it will be your fault. Let him try his own way before showing him a new direction.

He's already ruined himself. This is the guy who cashed in his 401(k) to fund his heartbreaker.

If it helps i don't really know who you are so I shan't relish on your misfortune.

Then it's all been for naught. :smith:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm only in for digital right now, but yeah I'm probably going to up it to the hardcover.

If you're still on the fence, there's a good text run-through of the AP John ran that goes into how they did everything mechanically.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serf posted:

It's a shame that PA has gone to poo poo recently because they are still doing D&D games once a year at PAX and using 5E but I won't touch any of that with a ten-foot-pole anymore.

Edit: sorry, not "recently" more like "it's come to my attention recently"

I think it's interesting to point out too that WotC has no D&D presence at PAX since 5e was announced.

I was running 4e for them at PAX East a few years back, and there were maybe 100 tables filling up constantly. Last year, for 5e, it was handled by a different company and was shoved into a back corner of the tabletop area. They had like five tables and no games scheduled after 6pm.

Games on Demand, for comparison, had six tables and we had games going from 10am to midnight all weekend. I know Pathfinder had a larger presence than D&D last year and this year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Two things I love about Blades:

You heal by indulging in your vices.

The combat action is specifically called "murder".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's okay, Covok. I still like you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

Did anyone else watch TableTop do Cards Against Humanity?

I got about halfway through whilst playing on BGA in another tab. It was painfully unfunny, and it genuinely didn't feel like most of the players were actually enjoying it.

Nobody actually enjoys CAH.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

"While you're at it, buy a timeshare on the Negative Material Plane! You can rent it to your friends on the off-season! It's like making gold pieces on vacation!"

Now I'm imagining a bunch of wannabe necromancers and demonologists going to some obvious pyramid scheme seminar hosted by a pair of fast-talking demons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BTW thanks to whoever it was who recommended Friday as the solo deckbuilder, but man it is rough. I've barely been able to get to the second phase all day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not making GBS threads on marginalized people: the new en vogue sjw topic, apparently.

If I've learned anything from this whole mess around The Strange, it's that to a lot of people, there's such a thing as an "acceptable" level of racism or marginalization.

Also "seriously, gently caress this hobby" but we all know I already knew that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've played half a game of CAH, and that's really all anyone really needs to play. After that it was pretty much "okay, yup, I get the joke".

It's more that the game makes people feel "shocking" and "transgressive" like they're breaking all these taboos that polite society doesn't want them to!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

moths posted:

Silence is acceptance. If something is hosed up or perpetuates harm, speaking out is the only tool available for most people - especially online.

I find the backlash against this is really interesting, the rage against SJWs seems rooted in this weird inability or disdain to judge. Except here judgement is socially acceptable and encouraged because you're judging those who would dare to make moral judgements about others.

The status quo has become to stay in your lane; If something offends you the problem is you. But if anyone violates that convention, spam rape-threats.

It's like the evil genie granted what last generation's liberals wished for. The social tools of gay/trans acceptance are being used to defend the "lifestyle choices" of rape jokes and racist Mad Libs. I sometimes wish I'd gone into social sciences because this poo poo is loving fascinating.

The other problem is the "tumblr SJW", who by dint of loudness became the "face" of the concept social justice. These are the people who have no sense of scale to their moral outage: all offenses are equally offensive, all injustice is equally terrible. They have the same rage level regardless of if they're seeing a news story about a trans teen being beaten to death or if they're a vegan seeing someone post a picture of their steak dinner on their photostream. And because they treat every slight as the end of the loving world, people now associate even a basic statement as "misogyny is bad" with stuff like "my doctor said I needed to lose weight because I'm running a severe health risk HOW DARE HE FAT SHAME ME".

And yes, that's a thing I honestly saw on tumblr.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

Speaking as a fat person, the entire fat acceptance movement is terrible and not worth saving. The idea of being nicer to fat people to help them lose weight has been entirely consumed (heh) by the people who want everyone to praise them for being tubs of mobile lard.

The funny thing (to me, anyway) about that person getting mad on tumblr because her doctor cares more about that person's weight than their outrage is that, not a week beforehand, my doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, my numbers were more that triple the normal levels, and that I had to change my diet and lose weight or I'd jump into fully diabetic and have to start taking insulin and all that fun stuff.

Amazingly, my first thought was not "how dare he suggest I might be portly!", but "oh poo poo, I need to start eating better". I can't even imagine why you'd think otherwise.

(Fun Fact: that was the first time I went to the doctor in like 25 years. Let's hear it for good timing!)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If anything, it's 10 too many.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He is actually very responsive to feedback.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

I hope you don't take offense, but, unless it's a financial issue or something else that impedes you, you really should see the doctor more regularly.
This was about a year and change ago. I actually didn't have insurance for a disturbingly long time (due to underemployment or being unemployed for a year and a half), but also because I was one of those people who was really uncomfortable about going to a doctor. But I am indeed now going on a regular basis.

I also lost a lot of weight and got my health numbers down under the "human max" range by watching my food intake and walking half an hour a day. So that's good!

(It also helped that my dietician was awesome.)

To steer things away from EM's healthchat, remember Fyxt?

I tried to make a character for a F&F post today, but it turns out that you can't actually create a full character without registering an account on the site. There are no rules on how you pick the actual effects of powers (just a reference loop), just how you pick your range/area of effect/number of targets. Powers are defined 4e style, except that you can shape effect squares however you want when you build the power. So if you want to drop tetris-shaped fireballs that's an option.

I guess the idea is that you build all your powers on their digital character sheets because that seems to be the only way to see what power effects are available for your character based on his stats.

There are other fun quirks, like how your basic combat attack is based off your highest stat, but applies to any weapon you use. So a fighty guy with Body 6 is just as good at sword swinging as the social character with Spirit 6 but a Body of 1.

Or how the way items work in the game is that they're all just fluff, and don't do anything unless you build an affect into them. You can't just say you have plate mail, you have to have an item with +whatever Defense called plate mail or it doesn't do jack. As near as I can tell, that also means that every piece of gear you want to have that can actually do something has to be point-built.

quote:

Now that you have a good idea of how the Fyxt RPG Power System works, it’s time to let your imagination run wild! Look at existing Powers to get some ideas of what Powers can do along with the many different types of descriptions they have. The mechanics of Powers is separate from the names and descriptions you choose for them. This means that players can name their Powers and describe what happens when they use them whichever way they want. This means that players are free to describe the look, feel, and impression of their Powers. The name and description of Powers is for fun and role play flavor and should never be used to determine what a Power actually does. What a Power actually does is determined by its stats only. So let your mind run free and see what kind of awesome Powers you can come up with for your characters and the Fyxt RPG community!

They honestly think that's innovative because they admit to never really looking closely at Champions.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, go gently caress yourself! How's that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

e: gently caress this I'm too pissed off at everything to post right now

e2: god loving dammit I hate this poo poo

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ningyou, I'm really sorry I yelled at you last night. There was no excuse for that.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Re-open, and then just banhammer anyone who brings up gamer gate and poo poo.

I was actually rereading the first thread a while ago and I miss it so much. :-(

I don't. G.txt made me the rage-filled nerd I am today. Plus other reasons.

I had like, what, three major meltdown posts in the original thread?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Refresh my memory; is Pillars of Eternity based on the Numenera engine?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pathfinder Online Early Enrollment Update 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3IPkSQCia0

I can't stop laughing at the elf's running animations or how the archer looks like he's just gently letting go of the bowstring instead of actually firing the arrow.

e: "Comments are disabled for this video."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say it's not just the art direction but also the animation. None of the attacks look interesting or powerful because the characters are totally non-selling them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am so looking forward to this.

My character will be so broody you have no idea.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm as much into making fun of terrible stereotypes as the next man (the looks section is amazing), but when you turn that into an RPG, devote your game design energies to it, and expect players to sink 3-4 hours of their times, multiple times, into it, isn't that going a bit far with the "ironic" appreciation?

No.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serious answer: I don't think so, no. I wouldn't be surprised if this was either just a long piss-take on dark 90's RPGs that is intended to just be read as a joke while still being playable as a one-shot or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a cool new dice bag, any suggestions? It has to be something I can ship to Australia.

http://www.allrolledup.co.uk/

These own. I keep a ton of dice, a deck of cards, pencils, and a Noteboard in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Looks neat but not 30 bucks neat

I have a three-panel horizontal one I bought for $30, and it's worth actually really useful.

• Locked thread