Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wizards only keeps D&D around because they want to keep the copyright fresh. It does nothing for them other than get them video and computer game royalties and the profits from selling more novels about Drizzt Do'urden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Do they still write books about that guy? Does anyone under the age of 40 even read them?

Money from people 40 and over isn't as good as young people money? That's not a bad demographic either because they probably still buy physical books and know nothing of Internet piracy.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

I think Hasbro regards D&D as a potentially valuable nerd nostalgia brand, in much the same way that a largely-forgotten series of 1980s robot toys turned out to be the keystones of a multi-billion dollar movie franchise 25 years later. Keeping it around and in-print in a nerd nostalgia format (5e, plus those reprints of earlier corebooks and classic adventures) is probably the smart move.

Yeah, it's also the generic fantasy brand that you can slap on things and people will pick them up by brand recognition alone.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
According to an old FAQ (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/oglfaq/20040123d) :

Open Game Definitions: Frequently Asked Questions Version 2.0 -- January 26, 2004 posted:

Q: Is Open Gaming restricted to just RPGs?

A: No, not at all. Most Open Game Licenses are content-neutral. You could use them to distribute a board game, a card game, a miniatures game, or any other kind of content you are interested in.

As long as they don't use copyrighted terms and nouns they should be fine as long as they slap an OGL logo on the package. They do say on the FAQ that the writers aren't lawyers but I'm sure if Wizards had a problem with it they would have shut it down back when it was a kickstarter like Wizards is trying to do with Hex.

Let's be honest though, no one is going to have to kill that game. It's going to kill itself or never move past beta because everything about it has been hot garbage.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 9, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A question that came up tonight after the game (Last Stand, for the record): are there signs of anybody playing 5e? I don't even know anybody that owns the books in person. Is Pathfinder pretty much just kicking its rear end, or what?

I have several groups of friends who are playing it. :shrug:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The connection isn't really that hard to make.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

What are these? The top one looks like an anarchist flag of some sort?

The emblems for the not-Nazis from Pathfinder and their not-swastika with current not-swastika replacement.

Both of those circle emblems are pretty much on par with the pseudo swastikas neo-Nazi groups use because they want people to sign on instead of asking about the Nazi icons.

EDIT: The red and black base flag is an anarchist emblem but it's festooned with fascist like symbols so I think they didn't know. Cheliax is a police state that practices slavery so it's far removed from anarchy.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 11, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Aren't they dialing things down a bit in Exalted with 3rd edition? Is 3rd edition vaporware? I check out the thread every now and then to see what's up and half the time it seems to be bitching about it never coming out.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just imagine a Rogue Modron as a fantasy Johnny Five with all the bad jokes but minus the casual racism of a white man in brownface.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I don't even know what a Modron is. :saddowns:

Well, it's not quite a mook, not quite a polyhedron, but man do the kids love 'em.

EDIT:

Modrons come in multiple polyhedron forms but the cube ones are the most common in Planescape depictions.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 18, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Raggi apparently is pretty positive about Varg Vikernes making D&D supplements. This is an actual neo-Nazi who murdered somebody, received the maximum sentence you can receive in Norway, and had a terrorist cell of followers, though they were pretty amateurish.

Zak S. is just a loser who harasses people on the Internet. Varg is an actual monster.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 23, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I wrote D&D I meant generic heartbreaker stuff. I don't think he's going to be making a licensed WotC product. That's pretty much impossible because that would imply someone other than two people are working on 5th ed and he would have to get a job at Kobold Press.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

It's really not limited to Tumblr or RPGs, either. Reminder that the biggest first amendment current event is placing popular hate group symbol (the Confederacy battle flag!) on Texas licence plates. (Was Texas even in the Confederacy?)

I'm pretty sure this is the illogical extreme worst-case conclusion of "Steve has Two Dads" acceptance teaching: All lifestyles are equally valid, but especially mine and gently caress you if you even imply otherwise.

E: it's a big cluster dick of identity politics, that's not easily resolved and especially won't be here!

Texas was in the first group of states that seceded and formed the Confederacy. They pretty much did a soft coup on their governor because he told them they were all loving stupid for seceding over a dying institution and refused to swear loyalty to the CSA. It was Sam Houston though, not Stephen Austin, so nobody cared.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At least chess shows that medieval Europe was loaded with black people.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bunnielab posted:

The theatrical saying is something along the lines of " at least the worst dramas can be decent comedies". I think in many ways comedy is "easier" but you do look a lot worse when you fail.

Are there any funny RPGs, like, funny on purpose?

Hackmaster 4th Edition was contractually obligated to be a parody of older editions of D&D. It was the only way they could get the licenses they did under their settlement with WotC.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't this just Model UN for adults?

I've seen some games run at Gencon, don't know what they were, and it mostly looked like running through wargame scenarios. Can you be an rear end in a top hat player like that one US general or admiral they don't invite back to wargames because he had tug boats loaded down with missiles and instantaneous bike messengers? Seems like it has the possibility of being super groggy.

EDIT: This isn't to say I don't want to play it, I do, but I've always felt like it would be quite the ride.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 30, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thomamelas posted:

If at some point the Japanese military representative doesn't threaten to have the Japanese political representative assassinated for disagreeing with him I will be kind of disappointed.

They also have to find any deal that doesn't give Japan the world's largest navy unacceptable and a plot to destroy Japan.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thomamelas posted:

I'm debating how much role the Black Chamber stuff will have. The Japanese had a pipe dream number, a we'd be happy with this number, an acceptable number and the lowest tolerable number. They got the last one because the US was reading their diplomatic telegrams. So I'm pondering just how much intel the various factions gets. I'm also wondering how much stuff will get leaked to the press for the purpose of disinformation.

Yeah, it was a pretty big ace in the hole and the American players have to work hard at bartering for it without jumping immediately to that specific number.

The British and Americans also have to balance protecting their Asian colonies, maintaining their own multi-ocean fleets while keeping with the intent of the conference, and not pissing off the Japanese to the point where they do something stupid earlier than they do in the real world.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 31, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest the Japanese military cliques haven't gone full tilt crazy at the time of the conference. The Taisho democracy is still a thing and the desperation of the 30's hasn't kicked in yet. The graft and corruption of the era, the growing food scarcity that leaves most poor people on the edge of starvation, and the great test of Western liberal democracy, The Great Depression, haven't happened yet. You can play it that way but the Japan of 1921 is much more reasonable than the Japan of 1931. Japan at this time is just super petulant over the Entente not handing Shandong over to them and grumbling about the South Pacific German islands they were given.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Beyond the pale? Wow, you must be as white as all the CAH writers.

"Beyond the pale" references the Eastern section of Ireland that was originally controlled by the English and the extent area of their colonization. It's not about color and more about being English or culturally acceptable in England's first colony, Ireland.

It is an old white people reference though, especially in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Davin Valkri posted:

Doesn't it refer more generically to any sort of border or marking thereof? I don't think pale is meant as an adjective here.

It's a noun actually but used as a slang term for a specific area.

The origin of pale is palus, the Latin for fence stake. It's pretty much referring to the English area of control in Ireland until the 16th century. This is unrelated to the Pale of Settlement which was the area in which Jews were confined to within the Russian Empire.

EDIT: Beaten

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 31, 2015

• Locked thread