Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was reading a PF book at the Barnes & Noble today with the intent of giving my friend's game a chance.

I happened to see that a gunslinger apparently can't do stuff like shoot off a lock or a small inanimate object until they're level 3 and have their metacurrency available.

What.

Little yippy dog people.

Fantasy gaming has a weird relationship with firearms. Like there seems to be an underlying assumption that the tech jump from wheellock to machine gun is a tiny one. Thus guns must be saddled with bizarre rulesets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

occamsnailfile posted:

I've encountered this more in superhero games (probably because of playing a lot of superheroes) and it's usually a problem caused by players running super-scientist sorts. The answer to the problem was not 'restrict super scientists heavily' but explicitly state to the players that trying to upend the gameworld with their revolutionary tech was not okay and not what the game was about. Once that was explained and they generally stopped trying to be smarter than the genre everything was fine.

Of course, I've also played games that were about revolutionizing the gameworld and they were fun too--but again the expectations had to be laid out more directly.

There was a shared world anthology series that had a useful solution for this. Super Science works for super scientists in their presence. Anyone else tries to replicate it and it just doesn't work. Or if they make something and die, the item stops working.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm gonna try to run a forum based Megagame around the Washington Naval Treaty. I'm curious if I'll get enough players but I'm gonna give it a try.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's a fascinating historical event and I'd love to hear about it.

If at some point the Japanese military representative doesn't threaten to have the Japanese political representative assassinated for disagreeing with him I will be kind of disappointed.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They also have to find any deal that doesn't give Japan the world's largest navy unacceptable and a plot to destroy Japan.

I'm debating how much role the Black Chamber stuff will have. The Japanese had a pipe dream number, a we'd be happy with this number, an acceptable number and the lowest tolerable number. They got the last one because the US was reading their diplomatic telegrams. So I'm pondering just how much intel the various factions gets. I'm also wondering how much stuff will get leaked to the press for the purpose of disinformation.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty big ace in the hole and the American players have to work hard at bartering for it without jumping immediately to that specific number.

The British and Americans also have to balance protecting their Asian colonies, maintaining their own multi-ocean fleets while keeping with the intent of the conference, and not pissing off the Japanese to the point where they do something stupid earlier than they do in the real world.

I'm looking forward to this. It has the political stakes of a storygame but some of the naval detail stuff is super groggy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Late to the party on this but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

I'm not sure that says anything good about me, but there you go.

I completely understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding. It's why the war college doesn't do them, even though there's a lot of call for them - finding 30-40 people that genuinely know the facts necessary historical event is tough!

It's probably also the main issue with historical RPGs, even ones that are loose with the facts.

Already way ahead of you folks. :haw:

It's gonna be a bit of a clusterfuck but I'm kind of okay with that. We aren't going to produce a historically accurate outcome. Honestly, I'm half expecting that they will completely gently caress up the treaty and begin an arms race in the 1920's. The upside is the briefing material isn't awful, and the players have a slightly above average knowledge of history in that they know the interwar period existed. Part of this is that I want to eventually do Watch The Skies as a forum game but I need a test run to see how a megagame works out in a forum before I do one with a lot more fiddly bits.

• Locked thread