Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

everyone should play apocalypse world, thank you for listening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Impermanent posted:

D&D is the rocket booster that this hobby needed in order to get into the atmosphere. We can safely leave it behind now that Apocalypse World exists.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm not really going to go on and on about how loving awesome AW is, but it revitalized my interest for gaming and made me a much better GM than I ever was before.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

This ad brought to you by the lumpley brothers

i don't know who those people are

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Lumpley is Vince Baker's screen name.
It is a Koch brothers joke...

i get it now :pram:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MadScientistWorking posted:

Weirdly enough if you consider Apocalypse Engine games RPGs then D&D isn't the foundation. The cornerstone of those game are free form improv with completely new sets of jargon placed in which makes it less accessible than it should be.

lol what

AW's jargon is really easy to get the gist of, and there's only one real technical hurdle in the whole system, and even that is a matter of semantics (AUF vs SBF vs GA)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol don't talk to plutonis

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PresidentBeard posted:

*world games are well designed but fundamentally cater to a different playstyle than chunkier more rules laden games. As a result the more entrenched group sees *worlds games as an assault on their pastime. Getting used to the idea that there is room in the rpg market for both story games and rules heavy games is hard for some people to grasp. Though it also isn't helped by people insisting that their type of game is inherently better than others. Those most guilty of this seem to be Pathfinder fans, retroclone fans, and *worlds fans.

I used to play D&D and then I didn't, drifted towards more rules-lite systems and then found AW, which has the best mix of rules, setting, and feel that works for what I want to get out of gaming, other people might not and that's fine. I always encourage people to check out aw though because why wouldn't you want more people doing things that you think are good+cool??

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

I think Hasbro regards D&D as a potentially valuable nerd nostalgia brand, in much the same way that a largely-forgotten series of 1980s robot toys turned out to be the keystones of a multi-billion dollar movie franchise 25 years later. Keeping it around and in-print in a nerd nostalgia format (5e, plus those reprints of earlier corebooks and classic adventures) is probably the smart move.

this is possible I guess, seems weird though. guess it doesn't cost them much

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Impermanent posted:

The only thing there isn't room for in this hobby is Pathfinder. I welcome good rules light games and good tactical roleplaying game experiences, but we don't need a new 600lb. gorilla clogging tables with broken rulesets. If you've had fun with pathfinder you probably did it by accident.

edit: I played a campaign of pathfinder to level 5. My wizard was already negating entire encounters at level 1. (Thanks, grease!)

why isn't there room for a game people want to play? There's a big difference between saying it's a poorly-designed game and that there's no place for it, one of those is a lot stronger than the other

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Impermanent posted:

I think the net effect of Pathfinder and 5e D&D on the hobby is negative. (and my statement was a little hyperbolic on purpose) I'd explain more but work is hard today. The short version is that training people into thinking that fundamentally flawed rulesets (and damaging social views on the side of 5e) as the norm stifles innovation and growth in the hobby. Specifically, it makes people less welcoming of better ways of playing every type of game. It will likely take generations (within the player base, not in design, where we are already ahead) for us to get over ability scores, save-or-suck, and even roll-to-win, lose-to-do-nothing.

that has a lot less to do with the game and more to do with the people playing it, though - people that are hostile to different paradigms (as opposed to unfamiliar) aren't going to want to play them anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zurui posted:

On a related note, my biggest problem with AW is that there doesn't seem to be any common pop-culture reference for the "fiction" that Baker has so tightly designed his game around. The three most commonly cited influences (Mad Max, Fallout, and Tank Girl) are so different that finding common ground can be difficult for players starting out. It's gritty like Fallout, but without the cheeky nostalgia. It's epic like Mad Max, but doesn't really support the "lone wanderer" aspect. It's gonzo like Tank Girl, but not cartoony.

get out of here, stalker

the real answer is that it is a hybrid, and the specific flavor of the game is malleable - it's something you have to work out with your players.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Impermanent posted:

If you think of your apocalypse wold games as a logical extension of the metal gear universe everything becomes clear.

:sigh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My biggest problem with PbtA games is none of the major ones draw me in that much. I'm not interested in Monster Hearts' premise. Dungeon World is "ok" and I'd probably try playing it, but overall is too much like D&D in various ways, IMO.Apocalypse World is the one I'd be most interested in playing, but I'm completely apathetic towards the post-apoc aesthetic.

Then there is the various smaller PbtA games/hacks, but a lot of the build off of Dungeon World's style of PbtA. WWWrpg is the first one that's really grabbed me.

Then again, I have basically no actual play experience with PbtA games aside from one in-ring match of a failed PbP game, so maybd I don't really know what I want.

It's pretty easy to convert straight AW to fantasy without turning it into DW - I think LemonCurdistan posted a thing in the AW thread that effectively did it in a single post

e:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

THE BARBARIAN (Gunlugger)
THE CAVALIER (Driver)
THE HEALER (Angel)
THE PRIEST (Hocus)
THE WIZARD (Brainer)
THE BARON (Hardholder)
THE BANDIT (Chopper)
THE ARTIFICER (Savvyhead)
THE ROGUE (Operator)
THE MERCHANT (Skinner)
THE MERCENARY (Battlebabe)

What happened to that mini-hack that had stats for kung-fu and melee stuff so you could run Kenshiro? You could use that as a starting point.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

I still think you should call the fantasy Gunlugger the Swordlugger.

You could do this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serf posted:

So while talking with a friend about 13th Age, we got on the subject of D&D-alikes and they mentioned one I've never heard of: Fantasycraft. They described it as "D&D but with more cool stuff and fighter-types get nice things", which is always a neat idea in my mind. I was wondering you folks thought it would be worth picking up even if only to pick apart for its ideas.

the main thing I remember about fantasycraft is that it made D&D look rules-lite

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fosborb posted:

Can we all at least agree that the Apocalypse popcorn recipe is an embarrassment?

i never bothered with it but the only review I heard was that it wasn't actually spicy at all or whatever

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't tell who's being serious and who's not in this thread anymore. Is that bad?

something something poe's law

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glory and Gore

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Covok posted:

I know this is late for DW talk that was going on three or so pages ago, but I don't think it's that bad of a game. I feel, unless I'm misinterpreting your earlier arguments, that it set out to be what it set out to be: a old school renaissance game based on Basic D&D using Pbta rules. In that regard, I think it turned out just fine and met the goals of what they said they were going to do. The fact it wasn't something more isn't really a strike against the game, in my opinion, since it never advertised itself as anything more: it's just a game with "modern rules and an old school style."

Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely fine that you don't like that game and I'm not trying to say you're wrong for not liking it, but I don't think applying expectations that it never said it had and holding it against the game for not reaching them is a little unfair. It's perfectly fine to not find the subject matter that interesting, but, to those who do, it seems to work out well enough.

DW is a fine game, but for those wanting Fantasy Apocalypse World it doesn't really meet expectations - which is fine but there's other hacking that still needs doing. Also, as pbta has matured, some of the weaknesses of DW have been made a bit more clear

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Covok posted:

Which is, like I said, is fine if that's what you were expecting, but I don't think it ever set out to be Fantasy Apocalpyse World: IIRC, it always advertised it self as a new way to play Basic D&D. Also, don't get me wrong, I know it has issues, but mostly the ones I know are issues I've noticed with the game itself like the Druid having a bit too much power. What issues came up as "pbta matured?"

I think we're mostly in agreement here :)

and tbqh i'm parroting a talking point I don't recall quite clearly, I think it has to do with as people became more familiar with what made a good pbta system, what the actual strengths of the system were, DW missed it on a few points I believe regarding the structure of certain moves? I'm sure someone can expand on this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I knew i wasn't talking entirely out of my rear end :)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Another thing that D&D worldbuilding just totally ignores: Every second-rate magic user has access to Charm Person. This would radically, radically change society, down to the core. Just start thinking about this. Think about commerce, diplomacy, hell even courtship.

:stonkhat:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kai Tave posted:

Iron Heroes is one of those games that sound great on paper but the execution is all over the place. It's full of amazing ideas and some stuff that if you squint looked similar to some stuff that would later, through the game of telephone, wind up in 4E. That said it's also got all kinda of balance and mechanical wonkiness and at the end of the day it's still based on 3.X d20. Like, I won't say it's poo poo because it's not poo poo, not by a long shot. For the time it came out it was rather ambitious and at least paid some lip service to a lot of cool ideas...and I think with like two or three more revisions it could have been something genuinely excellent instead of just okay.

It's also kind of mind-boggling to read through Iron Heroes and then read through D&D Next with its tepid martial classes, it's like night and day.

Iron heros really needed a second edition

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kai Tave posted:

This is the straight-up truth. I know that some other person had plans to release like a revised edition with some errata incorporated into it and I can't remember if that ever came together or not, but the fact that Iron Heroes never went on to get super polished and tightened and generally improved because there's so much potential there.

Yeah, the errata fixed the armiger to not be completely worthless and a couple of other things that I no longer recall. That was awesome because INDOMITABLE WALL OF IRON is basically the A+ #1 name for a choice of something to pick for your character, even exceeding the glory of NOT TO BE hosed WITH

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Famethrowa posted:

Is it possible to convert up to a later edition (or a good variant homebrew) that gets rid of the complicated bullshit but won't make me redo all my character sheets?

Grapple :argh:

No, not really

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Payndz posted:

Speaking of which, the game I'm (intermittently) working on at the moment has a guaranteed hit melee option called Blitz Attack, where you don't roll to see if you hit (you just do), but to see if your target hits you back in the process. I'm currently undecided whether the enemy will make a straightforward to-hit roll against the player's AC or if they have to make a DEX save or similar to dodge. The idea is to encourage the martial classes to tank, knowing that their better HP and armour than the other classes will probably let them survive it.

this is a pretty cool concept!

at the risk of becoming a gimmick poster in this thread, it reminds me of Apocalypse world's Seize by Force; you know both you and the other person are going to get hurt. If you roll well you can decide that you don't get hurt that bad, or that they get really hosed up (among other options). If you roll really well, you can do both!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Famethrowa posted:

Sent Dungeon World to my friends asking what they think and they got really excited. It is precisely what we are looking for, and matches our current style of play. Thanks thread! :unsmith:

awwwww yeaaaaah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Walker posted:

I know the honeymoon is sort of over re: goonpinions of Dungeon World, but I would argue there's no better gateway to the magical land of "RPGs that are not Dungeons and Dragons". Have fun, Famethrowa! Post a trip report.

Yeah I agree with this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well I just found the time cube of RPGs....
EDIT:
Or I've somehow managed to find myself into the plotline of a rather bizarre game of Mage.

HYBRID?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Helical Nightmares posted:

Honestly that is what your gamemaster is responsible for. When I manage a game the onus is on me to make it exciting with the players I have and have some sort of interesting narrative structure. If some players are not a right fit, then I identify that early and make cuts; or if I'm a player, I leave.

it's a shared responsibility between everyone involved with the game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm thinking about starting a Kickstarter to keep Foo fed and sheltered for a few years so he can focus exclusively on running AW.

:q:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Evil Sagan posted:

I'm now realizing that none of my D&D campaigns have ever featured violent union disputes. That's a shame.

Eberron: Local Clockroach Exterminators 302

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PerniciousKnid posted:

Nah, you just haven't appreciated that the history of D&D is really the history of class warfare.

aaaag

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Wow, again? Even I'm sick of that loving argument. Still, in any case, what's the current theoretical framework the hive mind is endorsing for brow beating one's intellectual opponents in to submission? Edward's Big Model? Something else?

I'm finding the discussion of the pro & cons of randomness interesting and as an observation I'll say that it reminds me of the split between card driven and hex & counter wargames, where one has unlimited flexibility of potential action that often goes underutilized and the other restricts choice to a limited range of action that's certainly more gameable but doesn't always feel as immersive or free.

I think I'll just laugh at you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PurpleXVI posted:

If only they weren't stupid, arbitrary categories designed entirely to establish nerd superiority over others. "Storygames" and RPG's are the exact same thing, the only thing that makes a difference is approach and playstyle.

Imma let you finish, but first I'm gonna laugh at you too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FactsAreUseless posted:

RPG: I am Hrothgar, King of Axes, and because of this, I will make the game happen.

Storygame: You are Hrothgar, King of Axes, and here is what happens to you.

True gamer: I prefer the former.

Show me your honor, Hrothgar

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ReiDuran posted:

Are

Are you serious, here? That is the exact same thing.

:laffo:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

just :lol: if you don't use the Dagon method for generating D&D stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Dagon posted:

9 sets of 3d6 (or whatever), rolled in order and arranged in a grid with columns of Str, Dex, and Con, rows of Int, Wis, and Cha. Choose a number for a stat from its column or row, but each number can only be used once (IE the 18 you got at the intersection of Str and Int can only be one or the other).

i think the dice were something hilarious too, like 6d4+2l2 or something

• Locked thread