Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

DustyNuts posted:

Score isn't super important but it can be used as a tie-breaker during the selection board.

I have really come to loving hate the word behoove. Every semiliterate dork in the Navy uses that word to sound smart. Thanks for triggering me Nwabudike Morgan.

IRREGARDLESS of your feelings Petty Officer, it would BEHOOVE you to UNFUCK your ATTITUDE before I have to put my size 10 boot up your rear end. :chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Evals in civilian jobs are dumb too. The difference is that your eval is rarely used for anything beyond taking space on a HR managers hard drive.

I've heard that some big companies are looking to do away with annual Evals completely due to the needless amount of extra work they create.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Analogical posted:

Radio IT would give me valuable experience I can bullshit and re-form into a resume for some of the *more unique* DoD positions when mixed with my SIGINT. Really either IT role would be a boon to my experience. I've got 15 months until soft EAOS, but I doubt they'd cut me loose for a longer A-school than the four monthers. I can still parlay being trilingual DLPT'd and mix that with any set of relevant skills to hopefully pull out a good contracting gig when I get out. What's the deal with ITS? NCC said they're asking people that want to go IT to go subs now.

IT's on the ship were the only ones pulling tail on the reg underway (male or female) so that's what I would recommend.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I completely cut myself off of fb at the end of last year and it was pretty fantastic. I do miss chatting with some buddies, but note night to rectify the problem.

It turns out everybody I served with was pretty terrible and more than happy to broadcast about how terrible they are. Also not hearing about how that friend of the family Democrat running the show in DC is ruining the country is pretty nice too.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Maybe I don't understand the situation completely, but if I were getting downsized out of the Navy, there is no way in gently caress I would worry about getting a warfare qualification. It's not like it's going to help you retain your job in that circumstance. Maybe it would be worth doing it if you knew you were 9+ months out from freedom, just to get your CoC(k) off your back, but even then... I would probably just fake going through the motions.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm gonna start signing my posts or emails

Mr. Bengy81 (CIV/FYGM/8===D~~~~)

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Don't be a buddy fucker bro. The kids are annoying, but just grit your teeth and suck it up for a few more months.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

I was literally standing right by the first class when this happened. I didnt even have to take a step to ask him what thats all about.

I'm not doing anything nor did I ask for advice on what to do but I'm always curious how different aspects of the Navy work and the attitudes of those typically in charge. I pretty much know the answer already "lol navy" but thought id ask anyways. Only got like 16 days left here anyways.

My favorite quote this week would have to be " I dont care about your careers because I'm about to make Chief so go ahead and gently caress up your life" during our safety stand down.

So in that case, yeah pretty much lol Navy, but specifically, it's usually not worth the hassle to deal with the restricteds unless they really gently caress up. Especially at a training command.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Port Hueneme is pretty alright, take up surfing or kite boarding or something. Ventura is right up the road and it's pretty awesome IMO.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

Why would you even shave in basic?

What if one of the trolls lovely female sailors from your sister div wants to give you a blowie in the laundry room?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

GiPPERS 6-9.0.1.a
- No poster shall know regulations for purpose of citing in service related thread unless possessing GiP MOD approved "human being Chit"

This is the navy thread, it's already known that every poor soul who posts in here is in possession of said chit.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Schlabbalabba posted:

Is my command the only one full of people who either were almost a SEAL or had a full ride for a D1 university to play football UNTIL they messed up their knee? So many knees haha.

If my time in taught me anything, it's that you could pool all the undes seamen together (the skinnier the better) and make a football team that would make any probowl lineup shake in their panties.

Also, the same could be said for basketball, baseball, wrestling, soccer and boxing.

Edit: don't forget the wannabe Hemmingways, and dudes just doing their time until they cash out to go to Ivy League law school, on scholarship.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

squarerandom posted:

Does anyone know what the hell NR FLTORDSPT is? I was just told it's the weapons unit out of Seal Beach. But what the hell would they need a CTT for? My orders for drilling station changed, but i'm pretty sure I'm going to have my orders here renewed, so hopefully it's a moot point. But does anyone have any information on them, past a google?

I can't offer any actual help, but anecdotally, I'm pretty sure that unit is the disgruntled reserve unit that gets put on banding and stacking detail when we would pull into port. They didn't help every time, but I remember them being super butthurt about the whole thing.

Hope you like silicon grease and speed wrenches!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Go SWO, pretty sure it's the only community where it's socially acceptable to brain your subordinates with a coffee cup. I think that is pretty much the best selling point TBH.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Get PAPERCLIP in old English on your forearm, duh.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea but that's drydock, you need to make sure contractors aren't making GBS threads under your deckplates.

Also very sorry for being upset at 1730 lib call while in port and maintenance is done. Is this one of those typical navy moments when everyone starts one upping me with how lovely they had it?

To be fair, you guys were sitting in your shop playing peepee touch everyday by 10. So it's hard to feel too much sympathy.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

I have for the last three years.

Good luck living in Scott Walker's Wisconsin.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

I wonder how that dude that was going to finance his own music studio is doing.

Probably as well as the guy who was gonna open a bar so he had a place to drink with his buddies every night.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Just lol if you don't have a signature with automatically updating spiritual quotes from Joel Osteen ministries.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Null Integer posted:

Navy is gay.

And water is wet and the sky is blue?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
It's even more entertaining when you realize that all crew members are on at least there second sea tour, so they should at least know how to do maintenance.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Goddamn I'm getting pissed at all of the bullshit around the Russian jets buzzing the Cook. So much "Ugh we should have blown them up herp" with a side of "This administration has made our Navy weak!".

When it comes from civilians it's whatever, they don't understand watch standing in theatre or ROE, and they're pelted with jingoism everywhere. Fine.

It's the veterans or other guys currently serving. Like gently caress off, they should know better.

I personally am thrilled that I wasn't on watch when that happened. Can you imagine that loving nightmare?

MAKE SURE WE MAINTAIN RADAR CONTACTS SO WE CAN EVALUATE FOR TRAINING!!!!

Fake edit: I know it would be more dramatic than that but 1. I'm drunk on a business meeting and 2. I don't want to spill into OPSEC.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 15, 2016

bengy81
May 8, 2010

ded posted:

Wait. WHAT

They found metal flakes in some oil samples, basically causing them to replace it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Man, different hot sauces for different foods, I thought you fucks knew better.

Valentina's on potato chips, pork rinds or whatever fried snack you like.
Cholula on burritos, also interchangeable with Tapatio.

Frank's for wings and sandwiches.

Tabasco for eggs.

Sriracha for everything not listed above and for poo poo like marinades.

This poo poo isn't that hard.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
If you don't try to hold the hand of your observer during urinalysis then you are doing it wrong IMO.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

sweg420blazeit posted:

You guys convinced me. definitely won't be going nuke. still looking for a civvie job but things aren't looking too swell. The ChemE job market is absolute poo poo right now (thanks oil and gas) so entry-level openings are extremely hard to get if you can even find one. 100 applications in, 3 first round interviews, only one of them MIGHT lead to a second interview.

I've always had a huge interest in the navy, so that's why I'm looking into all this so seriously. combo of lifelong interest and a growing sense of desperation

1. If you are going Navy go Supply. All the female officers that were hot as gently caress were supply. Also they were all totally DTF.

2. JESUS gently caress YOU HAVE A CHEM E DEGREE!!! Unless you finished bottom of your class, and are literally a man child, you will get a job. Move to loving SF and shack up with four to 6 other desperate assholes and get a job in biopharm, even sleeping two to a couch in an overpriced studio appt. in Oakland will be better than the Navy.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Tough call. Kinda need the insurance for now.
Thankfully I could always get fat if poo poo gets really weird.

I can't wait for your posts about getting activated to guard the Mexican border.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I know there are leaks, but is that actually really common?

People do dumb poo poo with classified info all the time. I was a dirty radar guy and I personally witnessed a secret pub just up and disappearing for 3 months, only to be found in non secure space.
Classified briefs being sent off ship over NIPR, the EKMS vault was even used as a hook up spot on my last cruise*.

*Pneumonic if you don't know about this text me.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

PneumonicBook posted:

Assuming you're referencing IT1 fuckshit getting all the air dept dick yea?

You are too cute if you think that's all she was getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Been out five, give it take a few weeks. gently caress everybody that's still In, but gently caress the navy more.

• Locked thread