Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

I've met three goons. One was a Nuke that failed out in the first phase, another was Christoff and the last was an ET3 on some ship in San Diego that taught me what a plank owner was since he is one.

I walked/stumbled by your barracks everyday on my way to McDs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

How'd you like that humidity? This place is awful and its only April.

When I was down there we did all our big runs so early that I wasn't even hungover yet.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

UoI posted:

I have a question about my A-school; it's in Pensacola, Florida for ABE. What will my living conditions be? Will I be staying in a barracks with dozens of other people or will I have a dorm type thing or can I stay with a friend?

You will be in a ~2+1 person dorm room with a shared bathroom. You will also be in Alpha.

Also the barracks have wifi and you can have laptops. (Sure as gently caress had mine)

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
It's the name of the first barracks, home to prospective undesignated airmen and boat/non squadron(?) aviation rates.

quote:

School shift I think. I'm alpha shift so I have to be at march off at 0615 and our day ends at 1500. Bravo marches off at 1515 and ends at 2400.

In the fleet we just call it days and nights. :v:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

This is going to sounds like a retarded question, but don't you guys have plugs on the ships? Unless you're buying lovely batteries/draining them too much I don't see how you'd need a couple spares.

Answer may vary. My berthing probably had about four working plugs and boat LSs (they actually owned the space) stealing properly tagged power strips but not bothering to actually fix all the broken poo poo.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So anybody know how life is on the Reagan compared to the GW?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

the Reagan is in San Diego, for one

Not for long...

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Seqenenra posted:

Crew swap time? Or hull swap?

Hull swap!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

krispykremessuck posted:

well they just finished up an availability on it with probably an enormous amount of work deferred until the next availability so it has that going for it

Well I'm air wing so I'm not sure how that affects me.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So I'm reading this thread from the boat and before I logged in all the ads were getting a big govt cockblock.

Also, made 3rd.:toot: (gently caress starting at E1)

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

Here's a guy that's stuck on the same prison barge as me, also grats on making it.

I liked the part where they went and called the entire boat and airwing's advancing personnel out. :v:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
So how common is twice a day cleaning stations?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Sweepers or all hands field day?

Literally cleaning stations, but a half hour the second time. Nobody seems to really do the second one, especially on the airwing side.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Can you legally throw a sailor off a ship if he was to bring such an device on board?

If no one saw you throw him, did you really throw him?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

"They're out of chocolate soft serve, I can't take it anymore!"

Prolly just FSAs and Reactor.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
All the lifeboats on a carrier are on the flightdeck catwalks...

And even if you have a float coat on you stand a pretty good chance of freezing to death before the helo gets airborne to find you. :v:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

The real question is what are your mid-term career goals? Like, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Drunk, somewhere in Asia.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

gently caress you Dad, you try showing up somewhere at a per-appointed and amply communicated time and standing there and being quiet for five minutes without using your phone, it's loving hard!

To be fair, I've seen times when literally none of these conditions existed.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Then I found out my orders to go home (reserve status) have not come in by the 10 working day dead line before my graduation so now I'll be in battalion holding for two weeks after they arrive. Hooyah duty driver.

Where do I route the special request to duty swap?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp, rumor going around that E4/below won't get overnight lib in port.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

I'm here for the next month or so babysitting pilots.

CVW5 mid cruise Fallon det?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

That's the one, all month long.

I'm doing that one too, but my flight out of NI hasn't left yet so I'm just hungover/chillin in San Diego.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

I was lucky enough to get flown off the boat early to attempt to get things setup ahead of time. and I stand corrected on the O-Club, but I will definitely avoid it, I see enough of our officers on a day to day basis.

I'm going to be giving certain people weird looks now...

Your command doesn't have a Q in it anywhere does it?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

I'm one of the IT's attached to CAG from 77

I have like no friends in 77 so you're safe.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Wow Fallon is even smaller than I imagined.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Grumpicat posted:

Would it be a mistake to reenlist for shore duty Japan orders? I've spent a fair amount of time in Japan but I always wanted to live there for a couple years. I heard shore duty is pretty cake.

My other plan was to get out and go for a master's degree in some kind of computer poo poo and try to get a defense related job but I could still do that when I get back from Japan. I'd be 33 though.

Depends on where.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Heard bad things about Sasebo as well.

Probably better than Iwakuni though, at least for as long as it's a MCAS.

That said I wouldn't personally pick Yokosuka (Because it's full of boat people) but it's on Tokyo's doorstep also Atsugi's chill. I heard there's some other tiny dump in near Atusgi that can't possibly be too bad. I haven't heard anything bad about Misawa...other than SNOW.

That's all I know.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In summary: dicks.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I guess someone was all Navy'd out and cancelled the last event after everyone had already sent their planes off. Also got to wipe walls in Hanger 1 today, yay me.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

They'd better not scrub poo poo next week, I'm gonna be out on the ranges as a spectator.

I hope they canx everything.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

germskr posted:

I'm sure somebody in here has worked in a space that requires numerous badges and has a set up that holds at least 3-4 badges securely (but not requiring you to click open a case and close said case) and maybe even blocks hackers or whatever the industry term is from stealing your information from afar? Suggestions?

A pocket?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Some of our dudes took their boxes up Mt Fuji and got them stamped, so I guess that was cool.

That's the coolest association I have with Chief Boxes though.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
It's the Chief's that are weird! The rest of us are just alcoholics, I swear!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I got a waiver for the last PRT, it was so much fun to just do part of it.

poo poo still hurts though, just not enough to keep me from deployment apparently.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

gently caress the navy

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I'm sitting here, on watch, at 01AM, watching Watchmen on three different monitors (There's like 7) in my squadron's ready room. All I have to do the rest of the night is write "All Conditions Normal" a bunch of times.

gently caress Surface.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Welp, flying off the ship was an experience.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Poop inducing or just taint tingling?

Neither but you face the rear and if your seatbelt isn't fully tightened you will get gut punched by the buckle so I guess it could be vomit inducing.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know an AT that has it as his first ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Chuckle posted:

sorry to hear that

Better than GW.

• Locked thread