Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Sir Lucius posted:

my boots have been out of regs for 4 years and I dont plan on changing that. No way I'd correct someone senior just to end up in their crosshairs.

idk which member of Task Force Uniform ended up on the board of directors of Bates after they retired but I wouldn't be sad if they mysteriously disappeared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=85968

The Navy seriously just developed a cell phone app for div-os and chiefs to use at work despite the fact that 2/3 of the Navy isn't allowed to have their cell phone at work. I swear to god I thought this was a Duffel Blog article.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Wait, watchstanders don't have chairs on surface ships? Why in the hell?

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I move around a ton as OOD because I can't see everything I need to see from any one place. Plus sometimes you want to talk with some watchstander in particular without having to shout across the room. But I still have a chair to use when I want to.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Poulsbo is an awesome small town if you're at Bangor or Bremerton.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Giving people a choice in their assignments? What a novel idea.

N/A for submarines and SWO(N) I'm sure

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
yeah but TLAM is like the engineering of the weapons world

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if the Navy was actually serious about physical fitness they would mandate organized PT or providing time during the work day to work out.

and maybe stop serving chili cheese dogs and chicken nuggets at the galley

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

vulturesrow posted:

Per the PRT instruction they are supposed to do so.

"You are provided time during the work day to work out. That time is between 1115 and 1200. Lunch is 1100 to 1115. You must be back in the uniform of the day at 1200."

"You are provided an alternate time during the work day to work out. "Working hours" are 0600 to 1800 because sailors are always on the clock, shipmate!"

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

germskr posted:

My last command did this- prescribed 07-0830ish as departmental/command/individual PT on a POD basis. It was abused to all poo poo, where most people would go get breakfast or go sleep in their cars. We still had a lot of people fail both PRT and weigh in (as Sir Lucius points out) due to lovely diet habits. I'm 100% with you when you say they should change the galley, but my base didn't have a galley. Hence my (slightly) over the top bread and water comment.

As Lingcodkilla points out, there's no incentive to do well on the PRT. I'm not saying medals and awards are the way to go either, but Lt Col. (retired) David Grossman frequently used an example that good shooting scores in the old Army would get a liberty pass. Maybe a 24 hour special lib to the top 10%? I dunno or maybe just personal pride/professionalism, but when you look at current "leaders" in the fleet and how seriously they take PT (just look at that beer belly hanging over the gig line), it's no wonder junior sailors don't give a poo poo. If you're injured (temp/perm) and have it documented, cool. But if you're unmotivated to do a little bit of the leg work to meet the standards for a job you volunteered for, I have no sympathy when you get separated because you're fat or can't do the little bit of cardio/upper body/core exercises the Navy asks.

I would venture that most people, when they volunteered for the Navy, assumed that there would be some sort of structure/culture that was conducive to fitness.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
basically in an organization where 100+ hour work weeks are common and accepted, I refuse to put blame on the sailors that don't find time to work out and cook nutritious meals for themselves in the 9 hours between when they leave work and when they have to show up again the next day. Sailors will care about what their leaders prioritize, and leaders don't prioritize fitness because physical fitness has essentially zero to do with job capability for almost all sailors (FMF corpsmen etc excepted). Poor fitness is almost entirely a systemic problem and not one with the people in the system.

"Sorry Admiral, I can't get the ship to sea in that timeframe because I'm spending 1000 man hours per week on organized PT, and cutting that down simply isn't an option." said no captain ever

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

MancXVI posted:

All the people I know who got ERB'd went on to be much happier on the outside. One went to school and now works for Fluke, another got a job with SpaceX, another travels around for oil rigs or some poo poo, a couple went to work for Intel, some for Boeing, and so on. All of them miss it because they only fired lifers, but they have been more than successful in the real world.

All the people I know who got out for any reason went on to be much happier on the outside.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

chriscalvert1982 posted:

Here's a question I'm going to throw out! How many of you guys are submariners? And what do you think about women serving on submarines?

We had four women serve on my submarine while I was on it. Three of them were highly competent and an asset to the ship. A 3:1 ratio of useful:fucktard is about the same as it is for the male officers.

It was kind of annoying having to wait to use the shower sometimes. They also got staterooms regardless of seniority which is kind of bullshit from the viewpoint of the male officers. Also they really put the wardroom at a disadvantage for the Chiefs vs. Officers softball game.

Also some people went overboard with political correctness/walking on eggshells. This tapered off somewhat over time. (we were all-male for the first half of my tour)

There is some definite favoritism for the female submariners w/r/t things like detailing, JOOY consideration, etc. They tend to get easier checkouts from the enlisted guys too.

All of the problems I have with it are cases of "special treatment" rather than "equality". These will probably become less commonplace as female submariners become the norm instead of new and special.

Overall it worked well enough. Integrating female enlisted is going to be a lot more expensive and a lot more of a pain in the rear end though. (that's coming next year FYI)

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 11, 2015

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Red Wing 4473s meet all uniform requirements and are super comfortable.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Laranzu posted:

Technically they are an 8 inch and regs are a 9 inch because Bates is the only company to make 9s and they need their kickback.

Edit: totally do not care in case it came @ across that way.

Ehh, kinda. The description for the boots in the uniform regs doesn't say how/where to measure them so you're good, especially with how much height variation there is in the Bates' between the different sizes and manufacturing locations. You can get 9" out of the Red Wings easily enough depending on how you measure them.

Plus the two times someone has actually noticed that they're different, both people thought that "The regs say you can only wear Bates" which isn't true, of course (they do say 9" though), and my response was "oh ok, well if you can show me that I'll stop wearing them." Neither of them brought it up again.

I guess really before you drop $200+ on boots you should figure out if there's anyone at your command that outranks you and is a dumbshit with nothing better to do than gently caress with you because of your boots and is likely to be vindictive if you stand up to them regarding the actual regulations. I have a pretty good command climate and I'm a LT but I could see it not being worth the fight for a deck seaman on a cruiser or something.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The boot camp ribbon requires a higher level of personal accomplishment than like 80% of ribbons that most people have so whatever.

The people complaining about this never seem to have a problem with the National Defense ribbon or the GWOT or the unit awards they're wearing.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey guys quick question. I'm considering moving up to port orchard, WA for contract work and to be closer to navy stuff. After buying a house I'll have a decent little bit left over and I'm considering getting in the rental business.
What makes an apartment attractive to naval personnel?
Besides close access to bars and strip clubs. OK?
Privacy and thick sound proof walls. Not being reminded of work. Cost being as close to e5 BAH as possible?

I've heard a lot of complaints about housing near base and I thought it would be an interesting market to explore.

I just wanted a decent place in a decent area close to base. Luckily for me as a renter, every E-7 and O-4 that spends a shore tour in Kitsap rents out their home when they leave and as a result there is an unlimited supply of nice places close to base* for dirt cheap.

Keep in mind that you will probably have a lot fewer headaches trying to rent to JOs in Poulsbo/Bainbridge/Silverdale than to E-4s in Bremerton/PO.

*I'm referring to Bangor and Keyport, there are no nice places close to PSNS.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

LingcodKilla posted:

Master Chief Charlie sounds like a cool dude.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
When I left boot camp they told me several times "Someone will be there to pick you up at the airport." There was not anyone there to pick me up at the airport. Nor was there anyone else at the airport besides the one airport employee and the guy I flew in with, because I flew in on the only scheduled commercial flight into Groton-New London Regional Airport, which is about as big as you'd imagine. The one pay phone was out of order and only took quarters anyway (which I didn't have). The airport employee wouldn't let me use the phone behind the counter, but helpfully suggested I walk a mile and a half in dress whites with my seabag and garment bag to the nearest commercial establishment, and maybe they'd let me use the phone there.

The nice girl at the coffee shop let me use the phone and I called the number on my orders, which rang forever with no one picking up. So I called a cab and paid out of pocket on an E-2 salary and never got reimbursed. (Incidentally, the commercial service into GON was discontinued shortly after this, which meant if I had flown in a couple months later I would have gotten to pay for a 50 mile cab ride from PVD instead.)

Fortunately in Groton, the walk from the front gate to the BEQ is under a mile, and the gate guard was helpful enough to provide directions, so after the hour wait for the cab and the drive to the base, that part was pretty painless.

Sure, I made due and figured it out, but maybe it would have been nice if I had a sponsor or something instead of having my first impression of The Real Navy stick with me for 13 years for all the wrong reasons.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

maffew buildings posted:

We're a MCB deploying to Okinawa with detachments throughout PACOM. I don't know what a honch is, nor what LHA stands for, and I don't have to so that's a positive for my day.

lol enjoy 7th fleet liberty restrictions

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Laranzu posted:

The ddg 1000 is the only thing that got skinnier in America.

Except it's huge. 50% more displacement than a Ticonderoga and 60% more than an Arleigh Burke. And longer than half of our amphibs.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
if you take up smoking you are ineligible to be CFL

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
So that's what Army service uniforms look like now.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Godholio posted:

My question stands.

Edit: Wait, that actually IS an army uniform. :rolleyes:

That is legit how he knows she is a CWO2. You can't tell from the picture because the only difference between a CWO2 uniform and a 1LT uniform is two little black boxes on the rank bar on the shoulderboard. (That and that is a shitload of ribbons for a 1LT, but I guess she could be prior E.)

You can definitely tell it's army though. 101st airborne insignia lower left of the shirt, unit award above the nametag. The stripe on the shoulderboard is too narrow to be Navy or Coast Guard and the insignia on the shoulderboard is squared off like a rank instead of stylized like a designator indicator. Navy officer uniforms have white pants/shoes with white shirts, and she's wearing the same uniform as the dude second from the left who has private insignia on his collar. There's an obvious Marine behind that guy so that just leaves Army.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
If there is anything in English on your hot sauce bottle you have already screwed up.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I'm at the worst possible shore duty that doesn't involve getting shot at, waiting to separate.

I will be losing leave for the third consecutive year this year.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You live in a state with 100% legal recreational weed yet you won't let a tenant smoke. smdh

Why would you ever allow smoking if you own a rental property? Even if you say weed=tobacco for legal purposes, you still have to deal with vastly increased fire risk along with your tenants stinking up the place. Plus by allowing weed you're decreasing your chance of getting a military renter and the guaranteed rent payments that go along with that.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I liked the part where the guy is passing around covert shower videos but it's all good because he eventually deletes them.

Especially since the real life event that segment was based off of resulted in multiple people going to jail and dozens of mastings.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Too bad they didn't prototype the Not Complete Dogshit option for the boots.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

The Navy Times posted:

The Navy’s overwhelmingly unpopular decision to eliminate its time-honored job titles was conceived and advocated by its former top enlisted sailor who, with the backing of its top two admirals, pushed for the controversial change despite having gathered very little input from the rank-and-file personnel principally affected, Navy Times has learned.

Ultimately, the decision was made by Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, whom multiple sources described as eager to announce the new policy before his impending departure after more than seven years atop the the sea service. Mabus, the first to broadcast this new policy Sept. 29, was motivated by a fervent desire to promote gender neutrality across the Navy and the Marine Corps, which he also oversees. He was presented with four options for removing the word “man” from nearly two dozen job titles — what the Navy calls ratings — and opted for the most extreme option.

Article

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
The four months I spent in the shipyard as a nuke JO was the worst decade of my life.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

sweg420blazeit posted:

Changing subjects, a thought occurred to me. How do subs retain all the officers they need? All sub officers are nukes, they all start their DIVO tour back in the nuke compartment trying to qualify EOOW. So every sub officer in the Navy has been through the miserable time you guys were describing, right? If so many JOs drop out, it's amazing they have enough people to fill all the other officer roles on the boat.

Out of a given group of ~17 first-tour JOs, the submarine force needs 3 of them to stay in for a second tour.

To get me to stay in for a second tour, I was offered a $30k/yr bonus, a year sabbatical (still on active duty) between my shore duty and my second tour to work on a paid masters degree, and a guarantee to get a specific job on a specific class of ship at a specific homeport. This is all on top of the fact that I will be at 15 years in the Navy by the time my shore duty is over. It's no coincidence that almost all STA-21 pickups are nukes--the program exists in large part to get submarine JOs who will stay in through a department head tour so that they can get their retirement.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Make sure you tell your recruiter you want to get stationed in Washington so you can do it legally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My favorite Seabee related sign, seen outside the Guam NEX (paraphrasing):

SAFETY IS OUR #1 PRIORITY
PROJECT LEAD: BU1 DINGBAT
SAFETY LEAD: BU3 MCFUCKERSON

• Locked thread