Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

nacirema posted:

What happened to forget and forgive?

Doesn't translate well into Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

I guess everyone just spends months on swings discussing video games instead of having a job or something.

I dunno.

Pointless BS is the backbone of this navy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

What's a chief?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Dingleberry posted:

So when it's okay to be a lady-boy or a boy-lady in the Nav can a male say his hair identifies gender-wise as a female and thusly be permitted to grow it long?

Give it a year. I'm sure one will slip by in MEPS.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Well what are those fundraisers funding?

Hazing, and boiled eggs.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

The Navy has more nerds in it than publicly stated. Can't look weak in front of China!

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

The speed that the Navy moves admin is sometimes terrifying, terrifying slow....

Still waiting for someone somewhere in the states to stamp my SUBDQ paperwork, so I can finally be released from the submarine community. But because it's taking so long, it's time to go back to "Fit for Full" and fend off orders until my force conversion is processed which can only happen once SUBDQ is finalized. I've also been the one driving this entire process, paperwork and all, I would hate for someone to actually have to rely on other people to finish this. Although I'm sure my current ECM will be happy to get rid of me(extremely overmanned), then after that it's time to poke ECMs for anyone that will take me, fighting for CTN, CT(Whatever) then IT, being a first class makes it kinda of pain in the rear end though. Any CT's willing to vouch for me?

tl;dr: the navy sucks at paperwork and it's own programs, no way a junior sailor could get though this without inadvertently loving himself over...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Analogical posted:

If you're anything but an E4, good luck going CTN. I've been fighting to cross over as an E5 and unless you're YG 08/09, there's hardly any billets right now and the few available take an interview with a CTNCS, NCC and a final talk with the TechAd. TechAd isn't even considering people without current IT certs or documented college with a CS/CYB degree plan. Not sure what it looks like for E6s though you could check CWAY for conversion-IR quotas.

CTN will swallow you faster than an E2 boot if you're an E4 though. Get a DUI and ask for reduction in rank :toot:

Not a nuke and I fit the magic 09 Yeargroup, so there that at least...

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

krispykremessuck posted:

no enlisted sailor will ever get a rental car again

fixed

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

so like, do people just roll onto ships with like tons of 120ml bottles or something? if i go on a ship i'd like to bring as much liquid as i would need but im having a hard time conceptualizing 10 months of liquid

There was a system on the boat for the vapers. All doors to the Torpedo Room shut, and alarm system left over from the 80's activated in silent mode. As long as you watched the alarm light, you could vape, and if the door opened and the alarm light turned on, you pocket that poo poo fast. Had a fat ITS get caught by the CO, slap on the wrist, but served as a warning to the rest of the crew. Most of the vapers I know brought a ton of those little bottles that look like eye medication and used them, when supplies where low trading happened. It was a good little community on the boat that wasn't affected by the supply vs time underway market.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

what was the most common mod? like mechanicals, box mods, or the e-cig variety?

The metal tube ones, not the cheap gas station kind, but nothing that was box shaped.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Pandasmores posted:

This is going to sounds like a retarded question, but don't you guys have plugs on the ships? Unless you're buying lovely batteries/draining them too much I don't see how you'd need a couple spares.

Power plug space on a submarine was very valuable, a bitch might get stabbed for unplugging something early or out of turn.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

Cyber attack man!

One day well respond to a cyber attack with ordnance. "Sir, they took down mypay and NKO!" "Prepare for launch."

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

He was slow in the way Forrest Gump was slow. Good guy, but he was not remotely smart.

A perfect sailor.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

DustyNuts posted:

The smart move is to drive and park nearby and ride a bicycle through the gate to work. Or stock up on audio books I guess.

Work starts at 0700, better wake up at 0400.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

buttplug posted:

Alright Analogical wtf am I here for? Somebody was asking about the abomination that is the CWE program?

Just a reminder to everyone. This guy drives warships and is in charge of people.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Howard Phillips posted:

You should address him directly. It may have been a decision that he didn't know too much about until YOU spoke up.

As a bystander, I must assume everyone is wrong until I personally correct them.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Fart Sandwiches posted:

warfare_quals.txt

One thing nice about subs, everyone is trapped onboard with nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Fellas, fellas, you're (we're) all tools. Now go clean something before the XO (MML) comes by :chiefsay:

I sure hope he notices this really shiny section of pipe I've been working on for the last 3 hours! :dong:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Anita Dickinme posted:

I also support the purging of the states south of Tennessee.

It would fix a lot of the issues with PERS.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

I need some paperwork advice and maybe a little bit more than just that. CTN TECHAD just bounced my conversion package for use of "Psycho pharmaceuticals" and says I'm not going to be allowed to any IDC rating. Here is the kicker, it was a stomach medication with no effects or uses outside of stomach medication(Bentyl for anyone that cares, it slows lower intestines movement speed). I'm no longer on the medication, but he responded with "just being prescribed" is the problem. Something isn't sitting right with this, I've combed MANMED with no mention of anything involving it, the requirements make no mention of it for the rating, not listed on any website involved with conversions or the rating. MILPERSMAN isn't providing any more information. I already hold the required clearances and served in positions beyond what CTN would require security wise. I'm not giving up on this until I find it in writing and to see if it is waiver able. I've seen people on anti-depressants get into and maintain IDC ratings, but some stomach meds for a short time are a no-go? This reeks to high heaven and I'm not letting this go.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Pandasmores posted:

I wonder if NAMI would be involved since it wasn't prescribed for the mood disorders it's usually given for. Did they want a psychiatric waiver or did he just say "no because reasons"? A roundabout and probably time consuming way would be to get psychiatric clearance, but that'd probably extend your time waiting for papers. Maybe getting a memo from the prescribing provider in support of his diagnosis for it to be prescribed on the basis of the intestinal movement controls.

It's "No, because you where prescribed this medication" with no references or "get this waiver" provided, hence the heavy search of MANMED and MILPERSMAN that came up with nothing even remotely related. I'm considering now talking with my doc(corpsman), and maybe getting a referral or something to mental health for a statement or something along those lines if it would help.

Null Integer fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 17, 2015

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

Don't go IT(SS) unless you really like sub life btw.

Hah, I'm a former submariner. I just got off a boat and have to move to another rate.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

I have a diagnosed anxiety condition and am on various anti depressants to deal with it. I converted from CTT to CTN. If you have an active SCI clearance, that hasn't been pulled for medical reasons, the tech ad is full of poo poo. Bentyl isn't really even psychoactive beyond possible addiction potential like everything else.

Edit: sure he didn't read it as Fentanyl or something?

I can't assume anything else other than he read "Psycho Pharmaceuticals" before saying no and moving on to his next email which makes this frustrating. Clearance is well and maintained, I've even discussed it with with the security officer prior to DQ and they had no issues with the meds and clearance. I've been off the meds for over a month now with no side effects.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

So my friend said that MANMED ch 15 would cover these kind of things but it's not usually a specific medicine but rather what is causing the medicine to be prescribed. There are some potential pretty nasty potential side effects but seeing as you aren't even on the med anymore my friend was pretty mystified. You need to find a trusty, knowledgeable NC and see if they can give you the references. Is the medical condition a permanent one?

Not permanent, it held me over until I made some lifestyle changes(diet) so I have no need for it ever again. Me and my CCC(Backed up a NCCM) combed MANMED CH 15 with a fine tooth comb and couldn't get anything even remotely related to come up. It's pretty much going to be generate a bunch of documents from medical, throw them in the package and if it's denied again let them explain it with proof, references, examples before NCCM puts on his fighting gloves.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

like, the army came out a while ago saying soldiers aren't allowed to consume any hemp products, i.e. hemp seed drinks

wondering if the navy has a similar policy? cause i like these hemp seed drinks and they got hella omega 3 acids. also vape store nearby started to introduce hemp oil vapes instead of nicotine and that seems like a novel way to ween myself off nicotine, doesn't contain THC.

don't want to get busted up for something dumb like that if it's a possibility

Be careful with that, I've heard horror stories but never knew the guy(if they existed at all, and just aren't made up sea stories for wasting time) but even that would be enough to turn me off from trying. Just not worth it if it does pop because there is no defense in that case, not even the slickest sea lawyers could realistically fight a positive whiz quiz, and that is what makes the program so effective.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

buttplug posted:

That gently caress-knuckle made E5? *sigh* Come get us, China!

buttplug still in the navy? Come get us, China!

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

IDC PO3 Who Cares is a straight shooter with unlimited potential.

-On time, on mission. Honor graduate for blah blah course during annual training time at whatever.

-Flexible worker. Assisted unit admin in digitally archiving paper records resulting in a 32% reduction in paper archives.

-Superior Athlete. As part of Coalition European Soccer Command, was lead striker scoring 3 goals to win and prove American superiority at all sports.

IS/CTwhatever/IT/AG 3 Who Cares continues to exceed expectations and is a credit to the command. Give increased responsibility when able!

Writing evals like this for people who do nothing or very little, not of their choice, is one of the hardest things I've ever done in the navy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Another month, another typhoon in Guam. :negative:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I like The Navy. The Navy is the best thing ever. The Navy accelerated my life! :chiefsay:

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Sir Lucius posted:

Follow up question: Is there a way to find out a previous FMS by rate, or do you pretty much need to see someone's profile sheet who took the exam?

I'm sure it's tucked away in a spreadsheet buried deep in the vaults of some IT3s share drive folder next to the pictures from Shitmylposays. Send an email to NETC and you might get lucky, worst they can do is not respond or say no.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Received approval for conversion, now I'm just waiting on orders. Any idea how long this is gonna take? I'm already 3 months past my PRD.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Ryand-Smith posted:

I'm planning my Africa trip right now. The training I had to go to is comdedic (since its mostly Army stuff), and things like "be careful and don't eat local food," and it involves a lot of absurd medical precautions before I head over. I mean I feel like they think I'm going to go into the deepest part of Congo or go meet up with Kony (the LRA needs to be removed) or sneak into South Sudan and teach them things.

Just be honest, that you are going to build them a reactor.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Schlabbalabba posted:

Hi friends, I'm back. Me love you long time.

Made Navy Times on the return (ET1).

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2015/07/15/iwo-jima-arg-to-return-july-19/30192035/

I read the article, then realized you where in in the small picture that even when expanded is still pretty small. At least there isn't a picture of you in BCG's smiling like a jackass in an Official Navy Publication(Undersea Warfare) that everyone on the boat reads while on the shitter.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Schlabbalabba posted:

They used that poo poo on navy.mil too, so hi res there. I also got my ESWS on the last day of deployment. I had just spent three days camping out on the beach at LeJeune and I smelled terrible and had a beard. Can't wait to get the pics back.

Any cool deployment stories from this time around? Or "The command went full retard" stories?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

b. Personal relationships between Chief Petty Officers (E-7
to E-9) and junior personnel (E-1 to E-6), who are assigned to
the same command, which are unduly familiar and that do not
respect differences in grade or rank are prohibited. Likewise,
personal relationships which are unduly familiar between
staff/instructor and student personnel within Navy training
commands, and between recruiting personnel and prospects,
applicants, or Delayed Entry Program (DEP) personnel that do not
respect differences in grade, rank, or the staff/student
relationship are prohibited. A prospect becomes an applicant
when processing for enlistment or appointment in any of the Armed
Forces by beginning to complete a DD Form 1966, NAVCRUIT 1100/11,
or comparable form. Such relationships are prejudicial to good
order and discipline and violate long-standing traditions of the
naval service.
c. When prejudicial to good order or of a nature to bring
discredit on the naval service, personal relationships between
officer members or between enlisted members which are unduly
familiar and that do not respect differences in grade or rank are
prohibited.
Prejudice to good order and discipline or discredit
to the naval service may result from, but are not limited to,
circumstances which:
(1) call into question a senior's objectivity;
(2) result in actual or apparent preferential treatment;
(3) undermine the authority of a senior; or
(4) compromise the chain of command.

Even if that FC1 was a Weapons type and not Combat Systems it probably would have had a hard time holding up.

I agree with orange juche though, it's probably a bad idea to poo poo where you eat, I've had plenty of COs make us all sign page 13s saying we won't date anyone at the command.

Today is the day GIP died as instructions where quoted in the Navy thread.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

:chiefsay: So you're saying you don't have eDIVO on your phone?

Google wouldn't let me download it because I wasn't noble enough, and then suggested I get back to cleaning.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

People still check out with me just because I made first. I'm not in charge of anything.

If your poo poo is done, and your civilian boss is chill, I really don't care. Go home. They don't give the military members anything important anyway because we're always out at bake sales or something.

Same here, I have no control over you and your liberty, why are you asking me? Happens at least 3 times a week.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

I'm not the best with my CFL Admin Knowledge KungFu, but can a sailor do an official PRT that isn't with the rest of the command. Example: Command wants to do PRT in OCT, Sailor needs an official PRT before PCS in Sept. I know they do similar things for fat body chief selects, but I'm not sure what any of this falls under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Octopode posted:

New PFA rules starting in cycle 1 of next year it looks like, but current fatties get another shot:

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/careers/navy/2015/07/30/new-fitness-standards-easier-girth-focus-health/30849729/

While it's good for weight and can bring more people to better health, it seems like in true navy fashion had to gently caress over something else in the process. (2 fails in 3 years vs 3 fails in 4 years)

• Locked thread