Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I still don't understand how Harper has managed to hang on to the PM seat as long as he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Today in "I know you are, but what am I?"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Does anyone care that Glenn Beck announced today he is 100% through with the Republican Party?

It's interesting because as far as a lot of tea party types are concerned, he's the only really honest news source left.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there some weird David Barton alt- history thing he is citing there, or did he just screw up that badly?

They really have no idea what they're talking about because all they know is Dave Barton history.

Fried Chicken posted:

is this the 3rd or 4th time he's done this now?

At least, and yet he will hold his nose and vote Republican when the time comes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I've been going back and forth with people via email for weeks about a ballot petitions to make Michigan a vote by mail state like Oregon. Instead, the group I've been talking to wants to do ballot petitions for ending gerrymandering and "no-reason" absentee ballots for elections. Right now in Michigan you have to put a reason in writing why you want to vote absentee. No matter what I show them to convince them vote by mail is the way to go, they claim that it doesn't work and it's too complicated.

Meanwhile in Oregon, why even bother registering to vote?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Days away from Bell's Oberon hitting the seasonal market. PBR my rear end.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 19, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

William Bear posted:

From http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/pence-effort-clarify-religious-objections-law-underway-29984447?singlePage=true

This was a really weak defense. To be fair, it is of the indefensible. If you want to see the video and transcript, it's here. My favorite quote from the exchange:
(Emphasis mine)

Can we get a fact-check? Is this actually true?

Indiana has a bizarre culture that's hard to define unless you've experienced it. Some towns in Indiana you're better off passing through without stopping, even to fill your gas tank. Other towns will be full of the friendliest people you can imagine. Southern Indiana however has that "southern" feel to it with all of the bigotry and ignorance you would expect.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oracle posted:

Someone needs to check and see if Pence grew up in a sundown town (probably 50/50 chance if he's actually from Southern Indiana).

Any town south of Indianoplace, save for Bloomington, likely is. The sundown town I'm most familiar with in that part of the state is Martinsville.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As long as we're talking about ~religious freedom~ in the culture wars, prepare to see an onslaught of your Facebook "friends" sharing this story about an Arizona representative's rhetoric about the need to revive more of Puritan New England's laws to help restore morality in America, probably with some comment that she "tells it like it is."

I look forward to a nationwide ban on Christmas.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 30, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

ErIog posted:

Sundown towns don't really have any relationship to geography like that. In fact, you're more likely to hit sundown towns as you move further north than you are as you move further south.

I grew up in a sundown town that's an exurb of Chicago.

The closest Michigan has to that is Livingston County/Howell. Very white county and the people who live there want it to stay that way.

mastershakeman posted:

Which one is that? I didn't realize Illinois had any.

Illinois has plenty. You've never heard of Anna?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

Is that the one that was covered under the VRA until not too long ago?

Actually, no. The two counties covered by Section 5 of the VRA until the SCOTUS ruling were Allegan and Saginaw counties.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

*massive bong rip* Amen! *Face turns red from coughing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

OniPanda posted:

Don't forget Brighton, where they're trying to make being young crime as well!

I work in Howell, but spend precisely zero time there when I'm off the clock so I can't say anything about it but I've had several friends move from Brighton to anywhere but Brighton.

Of course, Brighton, home to that champion of western civilization, Pasquale Battaglia. Has he opened his tea party charter school yet, with armed teachers hired from Kelly Services teaching little kids to be a bigoted as he is using the only textbook anyone needs, the Holy Bible?

• Locked thread