Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brains
May 12, 2004

the statement "officers lie" is about as controversial as saying, "there's too much bullshit mandatory training."

gently caress the army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

aviation's a good gig for the most part but i'm convinced you have to be a masochist to branch 15 series.

imagine dual-hatting as a PBO and XO, because your commander is on leave and your other PL is drooling on himself in a back office and can't be trusted to manage a stapler. oh, and despite being a FAC1 aviator you're still only flying once every other week, twice if you're lucky. imagine being in charge of 10-20 warrants who quite literally do not give a single gently caress about what you have to say, and a grizzled, embittered PSG who's lived more years in afghanistan than you have as a legal adult. now imagine that's actually the best PL job you could hope for, since you'll be spending approximately 15 years in staff hell or worse, as commander of a maintenance company, with the sad, dim hope of getting battalion command before you are lobotomized, lingering somewhere off in the distance.

also all of your peers and raters are the most dick sucking cav worshiping office rangers you could ever imagine. good luck!

brains
May 12, 2004

suicide bi cop posted:

aviation is still better than any other branch ive encountered (tied maybe with amedd)
it is, but my point is don't branch aviation if you want to be a pilot. just go warrant. seriously.

this is one of my all-time favorites

brains
May 12, 2004

NTT posted:

Zeal for weapons is gonna get someone shot by people loving around with them instead of leaving them alone in the holster with the safety on, 100% of the time like they're supposed to be.

the recruiter in atlanta who shot himself did it after unloading the weapon to "show it to a recruit" then reloaded it and it fired when he was jamming it back down his pants.

so basically peak army.

brains
May 12, 2004

psydude posted:

Because people are scared either of being wrong or telling their CO that they're wrong.

had a real good time this week grounding a couple dudes from flying and having the CO getting all huffy and puffy about it then pretty much every person he turned to for an out (including the *incredible* cock-suck OPSO) realizing the regs are black and loving white on this issue.

"sorry you've got a lot of authority and remarkable leeway to accomplish the mission but you can't carte blanche violate ARs because you think it's inconvenient"

also no i'm not going to apologize for keeping your own rear end out of a 15-6 for intentionally illegally flying people.

brains
May 12, 2004

not caring here posted:

You get a security clearance, you get a useful skill, hopefully your job isn't entirely taken by civilians and you get to practice it.

It sure as gently caress isn't combat arms, lucky for them.

pretty much this. 15T is recognized by the FAA as qualifying for prerequisite experience towards A&P certification, which is of course a major moneymaker on the outside.

avionics is another guaranteed moneymaker. fun fact, if you're an airframe repair or powerplant guy, you are only credited for the Airframe or Powerplant*, respectively, but if you're a 15T/15U (chinook repairer), you're eligible for both.

we make a big push in aviation to get all the mechanics FAA certifications, because it's such a valuable thing that you are automatically qualified for just by completing AIT and working a couple years. civilians, on the other hand, literally have to go to school for 2+ years just to be qualified enough to take the A&P exam, which is why A&Ps are in such high demand on the outside.

*you can still get both, you just have to prove you've actually worked in both areas, unlike the other MOS which is already accredited for both

brains
May 12, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

is BLC a new WLC

being an NCO is pretty easy if you treat people with dignity or however you would like to be treated (golden rule) instead of making arbitrary and dumb decisions based on "back when you were a private" type bullshit childrens games

and one day you'll find yourself actually in a position to not only treat people like adults, but stomp the gently caress gently caress games before they even begin.

the caveat is, of course, that there is no absolutely no benefit to becoming a senior NCO, because no matter what rank or position you reach, you're still enlisted

brains
May 12, 2004

had a DIV CSM with back-to-back-to-back DUIs who's favorite pastime was ruining the careers of junior NCOs for the same offense.

also, my first company commander was relieved about a week after i arrived to the unit; the BC came down to the company and personally apologized for his conduct during the deployment.

101 leads the way!

brains
May 12, 2004

"hands across speicer" was a thing when said officer dropped his m9 out the door of a helicopter

supposedly they found it on the DFAC's roof lol

brains
May 12, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

massachusetts drivers are the worst

*most aggressive

not caring here posted:

I haven't driven most of the US, but Colorado will always hold a special place in my bowels for the most oblivious motherfuckers ever to climb behind the wheel of anything with a combustion engine.

the biggest problem with drivers in colorado is the staggering number of transplants who have never, ever seen, let alone driven in, snow. they see a single flake fall from the sky and go full retard (looking at you, every texas plate i ever saw there).

slowest drivers: alabama. good god. these people put driving miss daisy to shame.

edit: real talk tho everyone everywhere is terrible at driving. see also that guy in here awhile back that was like "turn signals lol losers who actually uses those??"

brains fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 21, 2016

brains
May 12, 2004

benem posted:

So I've had two consistently-offered, contradictory pieces of advice regarding Army medicine: 1) avoid as much as possible, 2) definitely take advantage of the free PRK/LASIK.

Any horror stories I should hear about before I ask an Army doc cut my eyes open?

ex girlfriend got her PRK done through the army (we broke up before this went down) and the procedure was pretty simple and quick. then they told her to use prescription eyedrops at specific times, which was like multiple times a day for a couple weeks or something. she didn't. now her vision is blurry because she's a loving retard.

just follow the exact instructions they give you after the procedure and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

1: army decides it wants to "go green" on power

2: army contracts out very large solar panel project

3: contractor clear cuts and burns massive section of dense forest, then bulldozes it flat.

4: extremely large, if not larger, open area left over from decades-closed landing strip less than a mile away. 1/8th currently used for overflow parking. the rest is a grass field.

5: contracting officer declares, "great achievement for army environmental policy"

• Locked thread