Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Painsaw posted:

Fo reals, get a goddamn STEM degree. It's a job you'll hate less than the military, and you'll make more than enough money for all the weed and fleshlights you'll ever need.

Plus college keeps you on a regular schedule so you don't flip the gently caress out due to not knowing what to do with free time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqjv0mHpapk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I got sent to soldier of the quarter board once. Once of the questions was something about when Grenada happened. After I said the stock answer, the 1SG says, "I bet you were still in your diapers at the time."

Before my brain to mouth filter could engage, I let out "NEGATIVE 1SG I WAS STILL IN MY FATHER'S TESTICLES AT THE TIME 1SG."

The board members all looked at me for a split second and burst out laughing.

I ended up winning the battalion-level board, only because I was literally the only lower enlisted to be sent to it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Paradise Lost posted:

I had a conversation with a retired CSM a few days ago that I expected to go like they normally do. Instead I listened to a 15 minute rant about how much of a horrible backstabbing piece of crap Chandler was; it was beautiful poetry. I'm pretty sure his greatest accomplishment was being equally despised by all ranks/backgrounds.

:allears: You can't say that without giving some details.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I shoot better, more often, and am in better shape than when I was in. :feelsgood:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:vince:

I am so, so loving glad I'm out of the Army. Holy poo poo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It brings me raw joy that I am no longer in the Army.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat posted:

It brings me raw joy that I am no longer in the Army.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ditto but 2003 for me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I am so, so grateful that I'm out of the loving Army.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I was in that unit back when it was the 172nd SBCT, what with the whole extension and all that nonsense. Of course like 95% of dudes left after that deployment, either from PCS or ETS, so I had no idea it got that bad.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Not especially surprising. I think only one or two dudes from my platoon stayed. I was A/4-23.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

The Rat posted:

I am so, so grateful that I'm out of the loving Army.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Soulex posted:

You can lead a horse to vagina but you can't make him play a Wii.

You can lead a horse to water, but sometimes the horse shits in the water and ruins it for everyone.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This is how I feel now when I read about guys who are still in.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

But then where will we talk about how awesome it is to not be in the Army anymore?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Room cleaning tip to you young soldiers. Dust once a week, stuff poo poo in drawers. Pour about a gallon of bleach on your doorstep. Just so that it smells clean and not like man rear end. Like everything else in the army its just all fake and about appearances with no substance rhyme or reason :tipshat:

This is wisdom. Also because some NCOs started getting lovely about the grout between tiles in the bathroom being slightly off-white, I would pour white cleaning powder on the floor, sweep it lightly so that it would fill in over the grout, then mop lightly so that it would get wet and solidify there. Held long enough for inspection.

Also a bunch of posters of chicks with guns distracted the hell out of any inspecting NCO, which helped out too.

You know what's great? Not being in the Army anymore.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This was an interesting read: http://www.gq.com/story/robert-bales-interview-afghanistan-massacre

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A squad leader in my last platoon had reputedly baked his brain by going on a long ruck march hung over as hell and becoming a heat casualty. Supposedly he was never the same after that. As long as I was there, dude was always at least halfway retarded.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I don't have nightmares about the gory, nasty poo poo I saw in Iraq. Nothing about dicks hanging off of Strykers or faces blown off from SVBIEDs like masks.

I have nightmares that I'm still in the Army. Or that I've just reenlisted.

Not sure what that means in the big picture.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

From my perspective as a dismount, I loved them. Fast, quieter and more roomy than a humvee, and took some hits that would have shredded a humvee. With 4 Strykers we were able to dump a whole platoon on the ground of an objective quickly and quietly, and then roll out with a bunch of bad guys in flex cuffs with room to spare.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

One of the drivers in my platoon ran a Stryker into a waist-high jersey barrier going 40mph. Ripped off the front two right tires and everyone inside thought we hit an IED from the impact.

Moral of the story: don't let Asians drive.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's how I always felt about the Maxpro MRAPs. High center of gravity as gently caress.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They're great for making GBS threads grunts all over an objective in an urban environment. I have 0 experience with them outside of that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Other neat Stryker mods.

Old tire strapped to the cage armor on the back of the ramp, so that it wouldn't make an obnoxious CLANG sound when you drop ramp to go ruin someone's afternoon tea.

Ripped the back seat out of a passenger car that we aggressively searched, and strapped that in over the Stryker bench seats. Much more comfy than the default.

And of course the usual splicing an ipod into the comms.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Every SAW I ever fired poo poo gas in my face worse than anything else I've experienced, and that's including my own suppressed rifles.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Obstacle2 posted:

Do anyone else stop and think on a daily basis:

"Holy gently caress am I glad I'm not in the army anymore" ?

All day errday.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Are you kidding? We're as bad as my dad, can't pull out of the drat driveway.

And that's why I have eight siblings.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That wasn't so much hit it and quit it as it was leaving a nasty divorce experience in disgust.

Again, like my dad! :haw:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

His last ex was 49 years younger than him and really hot, and I have no mojo whatsoever, so unfortunately I can't make that comparison.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah it was awkward. She's a year and a half older than me.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh no it was weirder than that. I came home from leave one winter and she was there, and even though dad had mentioned her in emails before, he never properly introduced us. She was awkward, and I'm awkward, and so the status quo for like six years was that we wouldn't talk to each other or make eye contact.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mike-o posted:

kill everyone

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

:vince: :stare:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I am so, so glad I'm out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Beef teriyaki and chicken tetrazzini were goddamn treasures.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

As a contractor working for a super cheap company that barely issued us rounds for our personal loadouts, my team and I once shook down a bunch of amnesty boxes past midnight. Got us supplied with enough ammo to train with, at least!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I paid about $3600 for both eyes PRK about five years ago and it was the best goddamn money I ever spent. They gave me a military discount even though I told them I was out. Nice people.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'd really like to try a qual range with one of my personal rifles and see how it goes. No that's not true, I'd like to try it with ALL of my personal rifles. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

You mean a rifle that hasn't been fingerfucked to death, obsessively cleaned by retards with high carbon steel dental picks, and doesn't have a barrel that was shot out four pairs of hands ago? It'd be like cheating.

Yes. A rifle crafted to be an extension of my will :whatup:

• Locked thread