Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll be doing the whole list of track stuff before I go to dedicated track tires. If I run it in July I'd be on basic performance street tires, might do the 3rd radiator as well since it'll be hot as hell. Sounds like CMP turn 12 has a reputation as a M96/97 killer.

Keep your revs down for long high-G turns if you don't have all your track mods done yet. I forget whether it's left or right turns that do it

Also if it's a hot day you should check and top off your power steering fluid, especially if running track tires. The 987 has been known to eat a little fluid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

If my 987 had blown up at the track or I'd put it into a wall, it would have really really sucked financially for me. Not saying that was a rational call but I can sympathize with the urge to spend stupid/ unaffordable $ on cars

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Good luck willroc :)

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2004 Boxster S, makes a shorts but very audible rattling noise *every* time it passes 1500 rpm going up. In every gear and at every speed, just always at 1500 rpm. Except when revving it in neutral. Any particular heat shield or something that comes to mind for anyone? Having limited abilities to lift it up and look right now.

Similar thing happened to me in my Cayman; engine cover under the insulating pad behind the seats was slightly loose and resonating at a specific RPM. Drove me insane

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Wire the week before.

Although a briefcase would have been cooler and illegal.

Wiring the money for my Lambo two weeks before it randomly showed up on a transporter is the most nerve wracking thing I've ever done, and that was to a dealer. That takes some balls, doing an international wire to a private individual

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Hoo boy that made me angry just reading it

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Congratulations :)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah it has ppf on the full front and rockers. :ohdear:

I regret not getting ppf on the *roof* of my Cayman. The leading edge was a moonscape of rock chips after 80k miles

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

What do you all think about short trips in cars like these? I know the conventional wisdom is to do 15 minutes or more to let things come up to temperature, but I live close (5-10 minutes) to many of my most frequent destinations. So far, if I'm taking the 911, I'll leave early and drive a bit extra. I have other cars I can use but how strict do I really need to be? I read some things about it insinuating that if you drove it hard once a week it would kinda un-do some of the short trip damage (water in the oil?).

Yes this is quite right. As long as you let the engine come up to temp and burn off moisture/fuel on a regular (say weekly) basis you can take all the short trips you want. I daily drove my 987 in the city for years, including many short 2-3 mile trips, and it was fine

e: and I was having Blackstone look at my oil with every change. It's really fine

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Very nice! I particularly like the swapped front lip

e: you might want to look into mesh inserts for the front radiator grilles, especially if you're looking to bring the car to the track. They pick up rocks and debris like nobody's business

got off on a technicality fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 25, 2021

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have put about Have put about 1k miles on the Cayman since it arrived. Waiting on some gaskets to replace the leaky windshield washer tank and I need to get some tint applied because black on black and TN summer is bad.
I miss my Cayman so bad that I'm looking at used GT4s to trade for and then noping out when I see the asking prices :(

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Radiator screens arrived a couple hours ago. Not sure if I'll wait until I do the third radiator or just install the side ones now.

If you do it the quick and dirty way with zip ties it's pretty fast. I did mine myself but had a shop do the 3rd radiator

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

So I went and did a thing

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

kensei posted:

So my custom plate I was going to order is not cool? :ohdear:

I was thinking of ordering PORK3R or similar for mine

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

infraboy posted:

I'm glad I picked the red/burgundy, looks pretty slick on white I think.
A+ combo, now to get red seatbelts and tach to match!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I brought the 993 to the shop. The owner test drove it and was very complimentary about its condition, especially when I told him the price I paid ($60K). He got it on the lift to take a closer look

Looks like it's on the original shocks in the rear

And then boom, some unexpected PO fuckery

The front shocks had been replaced with S shocks at some point, and the front of the car was sitting about half an inch taller than the rear. So stiff in front, soft in the rear, a real winning combination for a 911 :thumbsup:

All the shocks are getting replaced with Bilstein PSS10s, along with new toe link and front LCA bushings (the original ones are pretty destroyed). The car will be lowered about half an inch from stock with spacers on to improve the look. All fluids (oil, brake, power steering, gearbox) will be replaced. The wheels will be rebalanced and aligned when the new shocks are in. They'll install a little bar under the front lip to protect it from scraping, and replace some sketchy looking brake lines along with the tired frunk and hood struts.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

NitroSpazzz posted:

Brilliant combo! PSS10s (B16) is pretty nice for the street, think I'll finally get to test them on track in November. Where did you find the 993? Just curious.

BaT which is absolutely crawling with 993s these days

Residency Evil posted:

My Fister (lol) II shipped for my 993 today! :getin:

I've heard great things. Please post a video when you get it installed :getin:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
PO handed me a second key fob (the switchblade kind) that had a broken spring. No big deal, the lower assembly is $60 from Pelican Parts. While putting the old key blade into the new assembly it finally dawns on me that I'm not supposed to disassemble the new assembly like I did the old fob. The key just snaps into place, and there's no need to remove and later replace two very fiddly plastic bits and a spring. But it's too late and the new assembly is now in pieces! After 30m loving around like a lovely apprentice clockmaker I give up and reassemble the second fob minus the spring. I hope the key blade doesn't fall out :argh:

But wait, turns out the second fob isn't paired with the immobilizer! Cue one more hour of fuckery locating the immobilizer code and then turning the ignition key off and on and off and on to input the code. One mistake and you start over. First try I fail to set up the immobilizer in the right way (warning light doesn't flash as it should). Second try I mess up the code on the last digit. Third try it seems to work but the second fob doesn't take. Fourth and final try it finally works. PORSCHE WHY COULDN'T YOU WAIT TILL THE 996 TO PUT AN IMMOBILIZER IN :argh:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah the immobilizer is kind of annoying. You can buy this:

https://www.ezimmoblock.com

To get rid of the annoyance of having to lock/unlock the car every time you stop for gas, if it bothers you.

Oh interesting. Did you do it? I'm a penny pincher and $350 is a bit more than I feel comfortable spending on an annoyance

(Yes I know that's peanuts vs. doing a full suspension refresh)

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Today in 993 ownership I bring the car in to get an estimate for paint correction + ceramic coat + complete interior detailing, and learn that both doors and one rocker are absolutely covered in light dings concealed by the silver color. We'll see what the PDR guy says when he comes by :arghfist::mad:

Separately does anyone have a view on the Bergvill HID retrofit into the stock halogen housings? I assumed retrofits were bad in general but Rennlist seems to love it

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

TheBacon posted:

Man the air cooled market is absolutely insane, just gonna forget ever experiencing owning one lmao

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-porsche-911-66/

Buy a cab! Expensive but not completely insane...

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
My 993 is finally perfect! The shop installed PSS10s (currently set pretty close to full soft), replaced all the control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, toe links, lowered the car about half an inch, did a corner balance (1,212lb in front, 1,918lb in back for 39/61 f/r, in case you're wondering about the weight distribution of a 993 cab) and the first alignment the car's had in like a decade. They also put in new hood struts, steel brake lines, and replaced all fluids

I rather like the way she sits now. They swore there would be no durability issues with 21mm spacers in front and 15mm in the rear, and I took them at their word

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MetaJew posted:

Any opinions on the 718 Boxster, in general? Do the modern direct injection Porsche engines get carbon buildup or do they have some secondary injectors to clean the intake valves? Anything else I should be wary of for this generation or mileage?

afaik they do not have secondary injectors, but the ECU has strategies for burning away the deposits. I don't think that works quite as well, but I've not heard of major issues like with Audi

I personally would stay far away from the turbo 4 + PDK combo - not because of performance or reliability issues, but because it to me falls below some crucial threshold for driver engagement. I would especially stay away from a Porsche with engine mods and high-ish mileage (for a 3-yr old Porsche). If you must have a Boxster I suggest a 6-speed 987.2 or 981 in the $40-50K range. If you can get one with service records that hasn't been driven hard/put away wet, they are pretty bulletproof

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

My Cayman isn't fun until one is driving it in a manner normally incompatible with RWD cars. It kinda mutates into a different stance as one pushes past neutral throttle mid-corner, and will squat into the outer rear tire and just turn even harder, and that initial sensation might cause one to lift. I can't imagine it being any fun at all to drive like a live-axle Mustang all the time.
My Cayman definitely taught me to be heavy on mid-corner throttle. It was a habit I had to unlearn for other cars

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Ranzear posted:

I've now internalized people pronouncing 'Macan' in all the ways they pronounce 'Pecan'.

The name is derived from the Malay/Indonesian language in Southeast Asia and the 'c' is pronounced as a 'ch'

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

The oil pressure on my 996 is reading 4.75ish almost all the time when driving and 2.5 at warm idle. Is that too high? I'm running mobil 1 0w40. Also my trickle charger has been putting the battery just over 14V, is that a problem? Everything high!

That's exactly what my 993 reads fwiw

Trickle charger charging at 14v is fine; presumably it turns off when the battery gets full. In that full state the battery should be sitting at 13v or so

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Bajaha posted:

E: yes, Variocam action above 5k rpm and all the noise just inches behind you is magical. With the Boxster top up actually gets you more engine noise as the the folded roof acts as sound damping when it's down.
The Coxster is really the ultimate for that sense of engagement with the engine. I loved being able to hear the varioram intake shift over at 3,500rpm. It was a soft, breathy noise, almost human. drat I miss that

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Base 991.2 C2 with a tune is probably the best value right now. 997.2 turbo if you don’t care about steering feel and want a widebody.

The newer the car the bigger it will be inside.
996 Turbo X50 should be cheaper and barely fast enough to fit the criteria

Residency Evil posted:

Caymans are great. I miss mine.
:same:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

This is not Miami I don't think? Maybe Mexico?

Possibly but I think Mexico is lighter. Maybe Riviera? Honestly hard to say, but in any case Miami is too yellow/greenish for my taste

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Russian Bear posted:

You'll have to spend up to the GTS trim with the 6 cylinder, those will likely retain value better but maybe a wash in the depreciation.

IMO the bottom rung base models will always be in demand as the cheapest way into Porsche sports car ownership. The depreciation differences are much more meaningful for the 6-cyl engines. My suggestion is hold out for PASM if you can

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

dema posted:

I haven’t call around or anything, but my understanding is that GTS and Spyder allocations are unobtainable without an existing relationship. Hence why used models are so far over MSPR. Apparently base and S are available if you don’t mind waiting.

Pretty much. I know of friends of friends who are buying these (the 6-cyls) purely to flip, and it makes me feel ill. Oh also I'm told that new cars are being delivered with one key because of component shortages. The dealership will mail you the 2nd key 6 months after lmao

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

RIP Matt Farah's 718 Spyder

:rubby:

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MrChips posted:

I don't really care for Singer 911s to be honest - early ones were nice, definitely, but of late they've just disappeared up their own rear end with everything. Air-cooled 911s, including the 964s they build on and especially the era of 911 they are emulating, are functional, utilitarian machines, and Singer just completely misses the point with their cars.

As weird as it might sound, they're too perfect.
I agree there's something a little off about Singers, which are no more than pure, gratuitous fetishism of the air-cooled A E S T H E T I C. If you have that kind of unlimited money to spend on one, why not go for a proper purpose-built hypercar with the engine in the proper place (i.e. the middle). Buy a GMA T50, it's only another couple million dollars more, and infinitely more true to itself

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

morethanjake32 posted:

Well, I joined the club, it wasn’t what I was shopping for, but drat it’s a niceride.
2011 with 50k on the clock.

Congratulations! Would love to see it cleaned up and under nice lighting

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

bird with big dick posted:

Saw this lovely today

I have an irrational hate for centerlocks on non-RS Porsches (or 918s/CGTs/etc) but otherwise :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

I think it's going to be a coin flip at the end of the day. Racing Green is the frontrunner at the moment, especially since I've been looking at green cars for years now. Just don't want to make a mistake/get something that looks awful.

edit: And of course, I actually have to have my order turn in to an allocation.

I'm very late to this but imo Birch green / lichtgrun / #253, my dear sir :tipshat: