Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Are the 07-08 Caymans suppose to have a "reinforced" ims bearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Cars made in 2006 to 2008 model years (potentially anything manufactured from 1 January 2005 to the end of the 997.1 model life) received an unserviceable bearing type

Yes

No one can tell you if the one you buy is better or worse off though. Check for metal in the earl.

Oh poo poo didn't realize it wasn't serviceable. Welp definitely going back to just searching for an 09+.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That's a no brainer from a customer service perspective imo, will likely cement you buying another Porsche in the future.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

McMadCow posted:

4-1/2 years later and my Boxster is up for sale in the Bay Area. :(
Up-to-date on nearly everything, the car has been well-taken care of but also worked like the sports car it is (lots of AutoX with the local PCA). Needs a new rear glass sewn in and I don't want to DIY that so the price reflects that at $4.5K. I could probably do a little better if a Goon or a friend-of-Goon was interested.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/oakland-1999-porsche-boxster-forest/6979605007.html

EDIT:

Dang that's tempting. Also, quite the knob you got there.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

I could pull it off as a 2nd car, it's just complicated since i live in a 3olives type building, so I only have 1 parking spot. I could make it work though with a 'regular' vehicle for stuff that needs a trunk.

I thought the whole idea of a sports car was so you could show off when you pull up to go golfing with the buddies

I do like the idea of track time though, it was def. in my plans once I decide on what to get!

That's what the 911s are for, no one shows off with the cheapest Porsche.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Forums all over claim that the incidence of failure is "very low" in Caymans, as it got a reinforced bearing I believe. So the trade off is, buy a 2009+ and have a 0% chance of IMS problems, or save the difference by purchasing the 06-07 car and bank part of it for the "oh poo poo" fund in case it does.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

fknlo posted:

So it's apparently not the 4.0 but a bored out turboless version of the 3.0 form the 992. Still cool though.

And this was the absolutely right call.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do targa models command a premium?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

blk posted:

Yeah, unfortunately $10k+ is not uncommon. They're fairly rare and the only 911 I _really_ want because of AWD + lifting glass hatch to better store stuff in the back seats + open air benefits of cabrio without looking like a turd.

Good to know and agree that the cabrios look bad.

My attainable dream car is on BAT, wonder what this will end up going for:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-porsche-cayman-s-35/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

I wonder what maintenance has been performed on the transmission. High mileage PDKs give me the willies. That 9A1 engine is a nice lump, though, for sure.

The 2009s are not so much more money, are they? Definitely better to get a 2009+ instead.

There is a price bump, however the biggest problem with 2009s (and the couple years after that) is that there are so few of them. The great recession really did a number on sales.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/porsche-cayman-sales-figures/

It would be nice to not worry about IMS stuff, but at this point it was as reinforced as it was going to be before they moved away from that design.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Then one day you go to your car and it misfires and rattles on startup because of a bad coil pack and before you know it you're back inside crying and changing your underwear.

LISTEN TO ME I'VE BEEN THERE.

Okay I didn't exactly poop my pants and cry but I called a local indie and was wondering how I'd tell my ex I needed to spend $15k on an engine.

With current world events, prices may depress on the later models anyway and I can't be irresponsible with money now :(. I feel you on the peace of mind re IMS stuff.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it a weird opinion to think the profile of a 911 is not as good as a Cayman? They almost sorta fixed it in the latest model but as a result made it bigger as well (I think).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Motronic posted:

Don't finance decades old toy cars dude.

I'm curious how most cars like these are bought, even by wealthy people who can write a check . I have a feeling it's not cash, especially considering how cheap borrowing is right now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Welp, guy is offering to buy my Spyder for a decent amount more than I paid for it. :ohdear:

edit: welp scheduling a PPI.

So 2021 Cayman GTS is a go?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I may cave. Last time I lasted from October -> April without a fun car, so about 6 months.

My wife didn't seem opposed yesterday! I've never bought a new car before, and there's something tempting about finally living the dream I've had since I was 12 of picking everything out (Carmine Red, Gold wheels, 6-speed for now) and taking a trip to Germany to pick it up.

The sane part of me then wonders if a used GT4/air cooled 911/4-cylinder 718 wouldn't be the slightly smarter and more fiscally prudent choice in the middle of a pandemic.

Why a 718 versus a lower mileage 981 S?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ahhh ok, then yeah a 718 S for sake of trying something "new". The 4 cylinder gets poo poo on, but if your emotional needs don't require the 6 cylinder exhaust note, then there are deals to be had I'm sure.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If it's going to be a car you're going to (part time) daily and sit in traffic with, the 718 4 cylinder with the added grunt lower in the rev range makes even more sense.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The other consideration is if you want to mess around with tuning, the turbo 4 is the obvious choice.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scionix posted:

Acquired my dream car. 2014 Cayman S. gently caress a turbo

Sup fellow dream car goon. Did you get a corona deal?

Edit: Man those wheels look so good on a black car.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 31, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I’ve also recently realized that AMG GT Ses have come down in price a ton. And my wife likes the way they look. And I’ve always wanted a car that makes it obvious I’m compensating for a small penis. :ohdear:

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooood like this. It looks badass on that merc.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can't tell yet if I am a convertible guy or just a miata guy.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

My dad has had a couple of convertibles over the years (a Triumph TR6 when I was a kid and a Buick Wildcat many years later) and what I learned from them is that convertibles are great to ride around in with the top down on a very small number of days every year. It can’t be too hot or too cold or too sunny; for what ends up being the vast majority of days you want the roof up, and then you’re dealing with the extra noise that comes with a convertible roof and potentially water leaking if it’s raining (maybe these are bigger issues with older cars) and stuff that you don’t have to worry about with hardtop.

And that’s before any other considerations like not liking being seen as you are in a car with no roof.

Sorry about your 4 seasons, try living in a better place.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

eh i can get what i want (miami blue miami blue seat belts) for like 91k

still a poo poo load of money tho

So miami blue is my favorite car color of ALL TIME, however I was watching Nick Murray's youtube channel and he mentioned something about this color not doing well in very sunny climates. Anyone know anything about that? Some googling didn't come up with much.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

are you parking the car outside? if so why

No, but I'm in southern Arizona, so if the color is really fragile, even daily driving could be a problem here.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

The 992 is so underwhelming. I didn't expect it to be this bad.

Having driven every (sub)generation of the 911 since the 993, I'd certainly expected it to be a bit bigger, a bit plusher, and a bit more disconnected from the raw driving experience. However, even the 991.2 with the turbos had a soul - a gloriously direct character that made it and prior generations a real hoot to drive. I remember running through the 7 gears in a friend's 991.2 S and loving the feel of the turbos and wanting so desperately to own a Porsche again.

No such merriment in the new 992. It feels like a parody of itself. Heavy control inputs that attempt to convey a sense of the Teutonic, while smothering the life out of your driving experience. A chassis that feels really planted and even a little harsh, to give you that sporty sensation, but without that telepathic feel for the road the older generations convey. Highly capable, to be sure, but dull and lifeless. Kind of the way BMW is today.

The interior looks great in pictures but is full of irritations. Annoying piano black plastic on the door switches and cheap-rear end gray plastic across the dash, a far cry from even the alu-look plastic in the 997. Nice in pictures and crap in practice. Shift lever reused from the Taycan, sticking out of the center console instead of next to the wheel where it belongs. Essential controls hidden away in the infotainment.

None of the above is a disqualifier in itself, but it all adds up to a whole that is strangely diminished from the heights of the previous generations. It's like as they've "improved" it over time they've crossed an invisible line and lost something.

So I walked into the showroom intending to place an order for a Lizard Green 992S, and walked out feeling awfully unsure of myself. And I'm someone that's lived the last 6 years dreaming about the day I would come back to the Porsche fold.

So then I walked into an Audi dealership and test drove the TT RS on a lark. For all the objective ways in which it might be measurably inferior to the 992, it did something that the Porsche could never do, which is make me laugh like a madman while flooring it on an onramp and listening to the sweetest gearchanges I've heard in a while. It feels like it's got a soul. So tomorrow I'm putting a deposit down and ordering one of the last cars of its kind. Thank god for Kyalami Green, and goodbye to my Porsche dream.

(It's not fully dead; maybe one day I'll buy myself a 997.2 GT3 RS)

Cayman GTS (2021) be just the thing to soothe you're porsche worries.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is my favorite exterior/interior combo that porsche has.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The cayman has the engine in the correct place. That exterior color is very rad though, is amethyst an option on any modern models?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 5, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The right Panamera is the wagon.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Porsche Thread: Annoyingly Expensive

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ranzear posted:

Completely blew my budget, but I found the one.

I wanted a 987.2 but this 2014 981 had that little bit extra I was looking for. Original sticker was in the manual:

I basically bought it out of the service lot. They hadn't even washed it yet (nor yet cleaned out the trash collectors...)

Love the color.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Don't worry about the mileage cap, it'll spend half the time broken anyway.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

kensei posted:

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a mid 2000's Boxster. It would not be a daily driver, but I am interested in a hardtop for it. Is that something anyone here has done?

Yes, it's called buy a Cayman.

Snarkiness aside, is it for winter driving reasons?

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 7, 2020

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Air cooled porsche prices are out of hand, but in March, you can attain this:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-10295

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They also have the only 911 with the engine in the correct place

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-911-rsr-42096

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yep, the only 911 that is mid engined.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

Sold the 986 today as I am moving across the country and it isn’t worth the hassle to ship. Going to be in Arizona so hey convertible all year round. Question for those with lord experience with the Stuttgart specials than I. Is the 996/997 convertibles compromised in design like other cars that are hard tops and get a convertible version? Things like more body flex etc...

I expect they are heavier and thus less performing than a coupe but other than running it up RT 88 to Tortilla Flat it is not going to be raced or anything.

Why not a 987?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Well do you want your Pirellis *skrrting* or not?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can always wrap it if you don't like the "left out too long in the sun yellow".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Miami blue us my favorite car color of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do they make replacement soft tops in BRIGHT RED like the calipers?