Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

iwentdoodie posted:

but I'm so loving leery of issues with them.

Every so often I find myself looking at Porsches whether it's a Cayman, Boxster or a 996.2 or 997.1 I end up in the same spot you're in... Worried about unusual issues. Like one of the posters here that washed his Cayman and the static from the towel fried a sensor on the front of the car.

Sigma X posted:

it takes chips like nothing I've owned before.

Don't buy a post 2000 Subaru because the bar will get set higher :)

We had a Porsche thread on here a few years ago that ran for 10 or so pages, but if I recall it ended up getting shitposted in so much that it was either closed or allowed to drop to archives.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

McMadCow posted:

...including the retrofitted IMS.

I thought the Boxsters didn't suffer from the IMS/RMS issues?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Get the image a touch bigger so I can tell you if the clear coat is good or not :) :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Honest question, what is the deal with the climate control toggle switches in the 996 and 997 wearing so quickly?

From a 2007 with 60k miles: http://images.craigslist.org/00g0g_lC8WGpKeW8G_600x450.jpg

From a 2006 with 42k miles: http://images.craigslist.org/00Y0Y_1Tlnf6a5C1Z_600x450.jpg

Is this an indicator of the cars being owned by a gorilla unable to control his/her own strength when touching superior German plastics or proof that Porsche needs to get its poo poo together?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

ColHannibal posted:

By 2006 has this problem on the fan controller, I think it stems from the paint being a rubberized finish on a smooth plastic part.

Sure blame it on the paint, not your obsessive compulsive moisturizing ;-*

Am I correct that fixing the switch requires replacing the climate control panel?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

That color scheme just begs to be left in piece in a junk yard. Put it out of its misery.

kimbo305 posted:

I saw a 997 GTS that was silver on the outside (ok, boring, but whatever) and blood red interior and even red accents on the steering wheel :gonk:
It was only $72k, but it'd have to be lower for me to bite on it.

I know I have problems because I see that red interior and absolutely love how weird it is. The only thing better would be blue or an even weirder green. And I love that Porsche is still kind of doing weird poo poo on the interior like that when most automakers have completely moved away with from it.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

blk posted:

You bought the two Porsches that saved Porsche!

Vanity plate ideas abound! :)

blk, even with the engine replacement that 996 ticks a lot of boxes for me. I love the dark blue/tan combo. It really is such a bummer the engine is replaced.

Test drive that one to set a base line, then buy this one because it's a better buy (and still has a cool color combo): https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ctd/5994199714.html

Actually for me, the red interior is even better than tan, but I know that I'm the car guy equivalent of a foot fetishist or something when it comes to funky car interiors.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

blk posted:

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I realized I was mistaken and that putting a rear-facing car seat in the 996 is pretty much _not_ feasible. My kid is 18 months away from front facing, meaning I'd have to put him up front in the interim - which I'm not opposed to, but if the car is to be an effective two seater I'd probably get a cheap Cayman instead, or just wait until I find the right 997 and put him up front until I have room in the back.

I did it in a BRZ, I'm sure you can do it in a 911. It'll just be a question of finding the right seat that fits. You can probably find a thread on rennlist with good info, I've even got one favorited for the 997: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/106792-rear-child-seat-997-any-new-experiences-2.html

18 months goes by fast. My youngest just turned two and now I'm looking at coupes again like a motherfucker :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Jymmybob posted:

928s are super neat, congrats.

In other news, the turbo came home after a few weeks at the car spa wrapped and with ceramic pro on the wrap, wheels, and calipers. Cost a lot more than I was hoping but looks great and should be good for 10+ years.

I continue to like those wheels a lot.

Question on the wrap, how's the gloss/depth up close? And how did you have them deal with jams? Are those just the original color, or did they wrap inwards or something? I ask because it seems like that's a high end wrap (and it looks great), which from what I've seen seem to be getting better and better, but I've still never seen one up close. Well, or if I did it was so good I just couldn't tell it was a wrap, which I suppose is the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

What the gently caress is that poo poo?

That is a glorious interior! I wouldn't have bought it new, but I would happily buy that and enjoy the heck out of it!

I'm about to start a new job where I'll no longer need a straight up DD... It's got me 911 shopping and I'm specifically hoping to find something with an odd interior like green or blue, but if I could get something really hosed up that would be tremendous! (that's-my-fetish.gif).